G4's "Star Trek 2.0" idiocy

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

G4's "Star Trek 2.0" idiocy

Post by Patrick Degan »

G4 (formerly TechTV), the game/computer geek channel, recently began airing TOS episodes in a brand new and totally annoying format.

Star Trek 2.0 presents TOS "as you've never seen it" —or even wanted to for that matter. The video is squeezed into a centre-screen box framed by smaller displays of trivia factoids, interactive chatroom traffic, and quotes from the "Spock Market". This being their idea of making Star Trek a live interactive experience. The episodes, BTW, are in the 1990s syndication format, with around six minutes of cuts from the originals but nowhere near as bad as the butchered-up SciFi package —but that's only the least irritating aspect of this atrocity. Don't believe me? It airs on G4 weeknights at 11 p.m. EST.

I swear there must be a department of people somewhere whose sole employment is to devise new ways to make TV viewing as shitty an experience as possible.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Remember when Sci-Fi did their whole Star Trek - The Original Series: Special Edition thing and aired the whole series twice through (first introduced by Shatner, then by Nimoy), uncut, with interview and trivia clips to pad out the slightly extended runtime? I miss that, and would love to see it again...

From how it sounds (I don't know if I get the station), what G4 is doing is completely unwanted overkill. Something like a semi-transparent trivia track running at the bottom of the screen for the duration of the episode would be a nice addition. As a viewer and fan, I just don't need things like chatlogs and other crap cluttering things up and detracting from the experience. I bet it all makes noise, too, doesn't it?

And what the Hell is a "Spock Market"?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Something like a semi-transparent trivia track running at the bottom of the screen for the duration of the episode would be a nice addition.
Or something like the trivia pop-ups on the SE DVD's - that was nice.
And what the Hell is a "Spock Market"?
If I understood it correctly from all the bitching I read about it, you can "buy" certain things Spock says/does and depending on when they happen in the episode their value goes up or down. Like a retarded crossbreed of bingo and Wall Street.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Remember when Sci-Fi did their whole Star Trek - The Original Series: Special Edition thing and aired the whole series twice through (first introduced by Shatner, then by Nimoy), uncut, with interview and trivia clips to pad out the slightly extended runtime? I miss that, and would love to see it again...
That was from a time when SciFi was run by people who actually gave a crap about their audience. Those days are long gone.

G4 introduced this atrocity with an initial marathon of uncut, ungimmicked episodes. I knew from the start it would never last. The first 2.0 presentation was that very day with "Arena".

And yes, there is the odd "beeping" sound effect.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

I've seen the 2.0 crap, and honestly haveing that much distraction just ruins it. Literally you're watching sub standard TOS with a tiny view, with the fun addition of 'net comments and a scrolling useless factiod, and a pointless extra of "How many..."

Oi, waste of an hour.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Just put TOS on PBS. No commercials means they can run the entire length of the original episode without adding a bunch of extra after-the-fact/behind-the-scenes nonsense. :P
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

What if they bundle it with a telethon?
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I agree. It's horrible. Durring the whole show, they've got the bridge sound effects going in the background along with a whole boarder around the show of useless bullshit.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ghost Rider wrote:I've seen the 2.0 crap, and honestly haveing that much distraction just ruins it. Literally you're watching sub standard TOS with a tiny view, with the fun addition of 'net comments and a scrolling useless factiod, and a pointless extra of "How many..."

Oi, waste of an hour.
Regarding the tiny view. If you think it's bad on a 36" screen, just imagine some poor slob trying to watch ST2.0 on a 13" TV.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

I haven't even watched the thing but I'm already betting that many of the "net comments" are fanwhore :wanker:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Darth Servo wrote:I haven't even watched the thing but I'm already betting that many of the "net comments" are fanwhore :wanker:
More like "fucking retard." I saw 2.0 once, and I couldn't even tolerate the stupid, pointless AIM-like chatting.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Some mitigation: G4 is airing uncut, ungimmicked TOS episodes on Saturdays, prior to a 2.0 presentation; something I thought was just a Memorial Day Weekend marathon. But don't expect it to last for very long.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

G4 has done many retarded things recently.

Now they're on this "G4-The Next Level!!!" crap.

Meaning...X-Play gets a new set, so does Attck of the Show, Arena still reruns twice daily, Cheat is the only video game show and may not even be in production anymore, and Filter is back hosted, instead of by that hot asian chick, by some huge blonde woman in a shiny dress that reads her lines like an iliterate trying to read Dickens, I.E, veeeery slowly.

Oh and best yet, we get shit like Cheaters :roll: , what that has to do with a video game i can scarcely imagine; we get Ed The Sock Puppet's Midnight Party (i am NOT making that up); we get Triumph the Insult Comic Dog who is wearing thin.

The best fucking show is Fastlane, and thats just cause its mindless action and thus can be entertaining if you turn your brain off and watch.

Otherwise i dont even watch it anymore unless its like E3 coverage or something.

Oddly enough i used to watch it 24/7 when it first came on, but now its just another Spike TV.
Kanye West Saves.

Qwerty 42
Jedi Council Member

Post by Qwerty 42 »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:G4 has done many retarded things recently.

Now they're on this "G4-The Next Level!!!" crap.

Meaning...X-Play gets a new set, so does Attck of the Show, Arena still reruns twice daily, Cheat is the only video game show and may not even be in production anymore, and Filter is back hosted, instead of by that hot asian chick, by some huge blonde woman in a shiny dress that reads her lines like an iliterate trying to read Dickens, I.E, veeeery slowly.

Oh and best yet, we get shit like Cheaters :roll: , what that has to do with a video game i can scarcely imagine; we get Ed The Sock Puppet's Midnight Party (i am NOT making that up); we get Triumph the Insult Comic Dog who is wearing thin.

The best fucking show is Fastlane, and thats just cause its mindless action and thus can be entertaining if you turn your brain off and watch.

Otherwise i dont even watch it anymore unless its like E3 coverage or something.

Oddly enough i used to watch it 24/7 when it first came on, but now its just another Spike TV.
I actually don't mind X-Play, but they're moving away from what made the show good in the first place with the new revision.

That and the commercials for Midnight Spank. Not the show, just the commercials. They're amusing in a grim sort of way.
Image Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know, the piper's calling you to join him
BloodAngel
Padawan Learner

Post by BloodAngel »

Don't forget...The Man Show!!!

And here's an update on Star Trek 2.0: apparently they are replacing their former Star Trek "1.0" lineup with all 2.0, in a row. I'm saying this because on my DTV program guide I'm just seeing 2.0 from now on until infinity. So, start getting used to this folks; Next Generation may be next!
Blood Angel, the Hidden Name of Who You Know.

Zadius: "Done. I get turned on by shit. Nothin' else. 8)"
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Patrick Degan wrote:Some mitigation: G4 is airing uncut, ungimmicked TOS episodes on Saturdays, prior to a 2.0 presentation; something I thought was just a Memorial Day Weekend marathon. But don't expect it to last for very long.
I'm awaiting the day I can get the set cheap from a friend. The days of watching ToS on the telly are long dead.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
LongVin
Morally Bankrupt Asshole

Post by LongVin »

BloodAngel wrote:Don't forget...The Man Show!!!
You know the best thing about G4 showing "the Man Show" is that only about a year ago they stopped producing "Unscrewed with Martin Sargeant" because they claimed it wasn't the type of show they wanted representing the network because it was too adult.

Then the replaced it with that "Girls of the web" or "Gaming Girls" Whatever that stupid show was about female characters in video games.

Now they replaced that with The Man Show which is just as adult if not more so then Unscrewed.

Got to love G4. Is there even any more Tech in any of their programs? Last time I saw Attack of the Show all they talked about was video games and movies. I didn't get one tech factoid out of it.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Patrick Degan wrote:Regarding the tiny view. If you think it's bad on a 36" screen, just imagine some poor slob trying to watch ST2.0 on a 13" TV.
I did once, as a matter of fact. It was dogshit. Not only was the show I was trying to watch tiny, but the bells and whistles around it were so compressed I couldn't read any of it. So even if the 2.0 stuff wasn't stupid bullshit, I couldn't appreciate any of it.

It's too bad Paramount is run by thieves and prison rapists who think over $100 is a fair price for a single season of TOS, when everyone else sells complete seasons for under $60 (I just got Lost season 1, with 25 episodes, more than any TOS season, for $45.95).
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues