Small Comparison; Turbolaser vs Photon Torpedo

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Turbolasers don't work like bombs, in that there's no massive blast radius, rather they're concentrated to relatively small points.
Asteroids aren't bombs either, yet they can produce effects similar to a nuclear detonation (fireballs, air blast, fireball, etc.) if the impact is massive enough.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

That wasn't my point.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

So? Its absurd to claim that a TL blast isn't going to cause any sort of "massive blast radius" - given the magnitude of energy, we're going to be seeing substantial effects (It may not be *precisely* equivalent to a nuke or an asteroid impact, but its not off by many orders of magnitude either - that energy has to go somewhere.)
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

If a turbolaser can project 200 gigatons per shot, how many shots are necessary to VAPORIZE the entire continent of North America?

I used the 10,000,000,000,000,000 GJ (2,400,000 gigatons) figure from Mr. Wong's BDZ page-- with permission-- in a fanfic, and had a character claim it was enough to vaporize the entire continent. Is this figure accurate, or should I raise it? If so, by how much?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Yeah, you're right, and in retrospect, that was also more or less what I was saying. Or it's at least what I'm saying now.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

Lord Revan wrote:It probable that the Torp was set on yield that wouldn't hurt Kirk and co., also the Torp does hit hole in ground detonates an unknown distance from the surface.
According to the novellization of Star Trek V (yes, I read it at the time the movie came out. I am full of shame) the Wizard of Oz, er, God was suspended over a very deep pit in the ground. The photon torpedo was aimed right down the pit so Dorothy...er....Kirk and company weren't hurt by the explosion.
I like frogs!
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Kenoshi wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:It probable that the Torp was set on yield that wouldn't hurt Kirk and co., also the Torp does hit hole in ground detonates an unknown distance from the surface.
According to the novellization of Star Trek V (yes, I read it at the time the movie came out. I am full of shame) the Wizard of Oz, er, God was suspended over a very deep pit in the ground. The photon torpedo was aimed right down the pit so Dorothy...er....Kirk and company weren't hurt by the explosion.
The novelizations aren't part of ST canon...
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

Mange the Swede wrote:
Kenoshi wrote:
The novelizations aren't part of ST canon...
By all rights ST V should not be part of ST canon.

At least it offers a semi-plausible explanation for Kirk and the others being able to survive a torpedo explosion at close range.
I like frogs!
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Kenoshi wrote:

At least it offers a semi-plausible explanation for Kirk and the others being able to survive a torpedo explosion at close range.
However, since the movie doesn't then we're allowed the ability to rationalize.

Kinda like Boba Fett not vaporizing Obi Wan and Jango in AOTC with KT level cannons. Why didn't that happen...probably because Boba didn't want to kill Jango and destroy the landing pad...

You know...common sense stuff.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

Kamakazie Sith wrote:
Kenoshi wrote:

However, since the movie doesn't then we're allowed the ability to rationalize.

Kinda like Boba Fett not vaporizing Obi Wan and Jango in AOTC with KT level cannons. Why didn't that happen...probably because Boba didn't want to kill Jango and destroy the landing pad...

You know...common sense stuff.
Or maybe, just maybe, the Slave One doesn't actually have KT level cannons. Perhaps authors of certain books that are regarded as 'canon' are a little too generous in interpreting the capabilities of Star Wars vehicles as a way of writing around certain inconsistencies, perceived or otherwise, in scripts or special effects (or poorly written EU novels). :twisted:

The reason that I even bring up the novelization is because, more often than not, novelizations are based on the same screenplays that the movies themselves are based upon, and so something that might not have been communicated so well in a film could be explained better in the novelization. So why bend over backwards rationalizing a lousy bit of writing when a simpler explanation is already available?
I like frogs!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Or maybe, just maybe, the Slave One doesn't actually have KT level cannons. Perhaps authors of certain books that are regarded as 'canon' are a little too generous in interpreting the capabilities of Star Wars vehicles as a way of writing around certain inconsistencies, perceived or otherwise, in scripts or special effects (or poorly written EU novels).
I assume that the ":twisted:" means you are joking. I sincerely hope so, because if you aren't perhaps Newland's site is more fitting for your type of discourse.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Kenoshi
Youngling

Post by Kenoshi »

Noble Ire wrote:
Or maybe, just maybe, the Slave One doesn't actually have KT level cannons. Perhaps authors of certain books that are regarded as 'canon' are a little too generous in interpreting the capabilities of Star Wars vehicles as a way of writing around certain inconsistencies, perceived or otherwise, in scripts or special effects (or poorly written EU novels).
I assume that the ":twisted:" means you are joking. I sincerely hope so, because if you aren't perhaps Newland's site is more fitting for your type of discourse.
Yes, that would be the intended purpose of the smiley face. No need to call out the inquisitors quite yet.
I like frogs!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

Kenoshi wrote:
Noble Ire wrote:
Yes, that would be the intended purpose of the smiley face. No need to call out the inquisitors quite yet.
Damn.
*Puts away thumb screws*
There will be others. :P
Sorry about that.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction