How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Re: How does the new Star Wars Canon affect the debate?

Post by malguslover »

Borgholio wrote:
ok before you freak out some of it might be canon but the vast majority is not
I agree with Eternal that you are a dishonest shithead. There is no way you could have read the entire section on SW tech and determined which is still canon within the last 45 seconds.
nothing to say about the the frame shots i took of alderan?

Yeah i didn't need to read it to see the errors in canon
Total assets include more than one million star systems, and millions of warships including tens of thousands of standard KDY Star Destroyers.
Again numbers. No where in the canon
Hyperdrive allows us to traverse a galaxy in hours or days. Details
True but that's why i said mostly
Heavy turbolasers release many gigatons of energy per shot, while light turbolasers release dozens of megatons of energy per shot. A Star Destroyer carries more than a hundred light turbolasers and dozens of heavy turbolasers. The Death Star (a massive compound turbolaser)
All numbers are no longer canon at the moment Super compound Turbolaser was innacurte even in the old canon. Didn't he make this page back in the early 2000s?

A superlaser is anything but a compound turbolaser

But as of now we don't know what it is
Galaxy Gun missiles or the Suncrusher's quantum resonance torpedoes). Maneuverability can be superb; Luke's torpedo executed a 72,000g turn in ANH
Galaxy gun not canon as well as 72,000g turn
Our planetary shields
again not canon
We had subspace sensors more than 25,000 years ago, during the time of Xim the Despot
not canon

You see what i'm getting at.

My point that I was making about the energy sources is that we have to assume to be able to create weapons like the Death star Superlaser or the ships and such they must have some amazing power sources espeically if they are increbly cheap. The galaxy must be full of exteremely powerful energy sources.

THAT is the point i am making
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

You do realise that anything hot in space emits light, and enough hot ionised gas will look like a fireball. Go and look at supernova remants or giant molecular clouds, they're huge masses of ionised material that can look just like a fiery explosion. Given how little debris there is from Alderaan most of it was clearly vaporised into huge clouds of incandescent gas...which would look just like what was seen.

You do also realise they can't be literal fiery explosions on account of there being no oxygen in space.
For the destruction of the planet yes. I do believe enough THERMAL energy was pumped into the core of Alderaan to cause it to break apart. I do not beleive that every single explosion there is from the intial Super Laser blast. That just doens't make any sense. The thermal energy has already dispated it wouldn't cause another explosion.
So you admit that the superlaser blast dumped enough energy into the planet to destroy it. Concession accepted.

And finally, please note that the very definition of a secondary explosion is that it isn't caused by the initial blast, but as a result of that blast's energy being distributed elsewhere. The thermal energy clearly hasn't all dissipated since there is still a cloud of incandescent debris from the initial explosion. Now, if a good chunk of thermal energy was absorbed by a large amount of material that had slightly different thermal properties then it would vaporise slightly later than the main mass of the planet.

However, as a thought excersise since you've already conceded that the superlaser blast alone was enough to destroy the planet, what is your explanation for the secondary explosion? I can't recall you actually stating it.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Yeah i didn't need to read it to see the errors in canon
So you admit you didn't actually read it. Concession accepted, shithead.

Galaxy Gun missiles or the Suncrusher's quantum resonance torpedoes). Maneuverability can be superb; Luke's torpedo executed a 72,000g turn in ANH
Galaxy gun not canon as well as 72,000g turn
How is the turn not canon? We see it for fucks sake. You might quibble about the numbers but as an order of magnitude it's pretty sound, since they made a 90 degree turn in their own length while moving at high speed.

Also, please work on your English and punctuation skills. It makes it even harder to work out what the hell your point is.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

How the hell is the 72,000g turn not canon? It's based purely on the ANH visuals.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

You do also realise they can't be literal fiery explosions on account of there being no oxygen in space.
and yet in Empire Strikes back when 2 asteroids collide it creates a fiery explosoin.... hmmmmmm
oh and the sun and all

Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidents which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.
So you admit that the superlaser blast dumped enough energy into the planet to destroy it
I never said it didn't. I always said the Superlaser dumped enough energy to cause the planet to be destroyed. The arguement is if that is in the form of a chain reaction or not.

My explination has always been the same its a chain reaction
Wait are you saying everything on that page is canon?

The issue isn't the turn its that we don't know the speed of the weapon
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:How the hell is the 72,000g turn not canon? It's based purely on the ANH visuals.
it's not we don't know the speed

this is what i'm talking about. we have taken too much of the EU for granted. Even basic things like weapon speeds are no longer canon.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
and yet in Empire Strikes back when 2 asteroids collide it creates a fiery explosoin.... hmmmmmm
oh and the sun and all
This is your rebuttal. Congratulations you have demonstrated spectacular stupidity. That explosion in ESB? Kinetic energy transferred to heat, vaporisies rock into plasma, which glows, realising the heat energy as light. No fire. The Sun? Same effect, different energy source. Alderaan exploding into a "fiery explosion"? Same effect, different energy source.
Remember a huge planet just exploded lots of oxygen and other elements some elements that are oxidents which create their own oxygen when placed in high thermal situations.

Actually since Alderaan is Earth-like it's quite small compared to most known planets. And despite the oxygen being released, guess what, that's plasma too, so no fire either since combustion is a chemical process and that environment is too hot for it to occur. Once again, you demonstrate spectacular ignorance of science.

EDIT: Which is exacerbated by you saying things like "and other elements some elements that are oxidents." You mean "other molecules some of which are oxides which release oxygen when they are vaporised." You'd be a lot more credible if you didn't get element and molecule confused in the same damn sentence.
So you admit that the superlaser blast dumped enough energy into the planet to destroy it
I never said it didn't. I always said the Superlaser dumped enough energy to cause the planet to be destroyed. The arguement is if that is in the form of a chain reaction or not.

My explination has always been the same its a chain reaction
That isn't an explanation that's a label. An explanation requires more than one damn sentence!

Wait are you saying everything on that page is canon?

The issue isn't the turn its that we don't know the speed of the weapon
I never said everything was canon shithead, way to misrepresent what I said once again. No, Borgholio linked you to it and within seconds you said "yeah don't care", Borgholio pointed out you couldn't have read it in that time, you agreed you didn't read it all.

As for the speed part, see my earlier reply, it's useful as an order-of-magnitude estimate.

At any rate, the X-Wings are stated to be travelling at full throttle, the torpedoes are clearly going even faster (or they wouldn't clear the fighter) and the X-Wing's maximum speed must be greater than escape velocity for an Earth-type planet. That's enough to get a lower limit at least.

malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

inetic energy transferred to heat, vaporisies rock into plasma, which glows,
do you not know what plasma is or is this one of those SDnet things where Plasma is a catch all term?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

oh and the sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

unless you are saying the 2 asteroids collided to create a new sun and we just witnessed a small fusion reactor forming out of rock and minerals.
Actually since Alderaan is Earth-like it's quite small compared to most known planets
You got some canon proof that its small or to its size at all?
I think you might want to quit why you are behind
so no fire either since combustion is a chemical process and that environment is too hot for it to occur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion
I never said everything was canon shithead, way to misrepresent what I said once again. No, Borgholio linked you to it and within seconds you said "yeah don't care", Borgholio pointed out you couldn't have read it in that time, you agreed you didn't read it all.
What is it with people not reading the topic

Yeah I didn't read it because the majority of it uses Non canon sources. So what would be the point? The entire disscusion is about how invalidating the EU has gotten rid of almost everything.

We have seen tons of ships in Star Wars move slower then escape velocity come in and out of orbits. I would just assume they have some anti grav device. Clearly they must have all sorts of anti force devices such as something to keep them from feeling any G-force when they go to light speed
Last edited by malguslover on 2014-04-28 09:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

malguslover? You will now demonstrate the math that shows the proton torpedo turn was not 72,000 gees.
Which I seriously doubt you're capable of given you think the speed the launch vessel was moving at at the time figures into it.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:malguslover? You will now demonstrate the math that shows the proton torpedo turn was not 72,000 gees.
Which I seriously doubt you're capable of given you think the speed the launch vessel was moving at at the time figures into it.
ok whats the canon mass of the torpedo and acceleration? oh and the radius of the turn?
Last edited by malguslover on 2014-04-28 09:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
inetic energy transferred to heat, vaporisies rock into plasma, which glows,
do you not know what plasma is or is this one of those SDnet things where Plasma is a catch all term?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics)

oh and the sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star

unless you are saying the 2 asteroids collided to create a new sun and we just witnessed a small fusion reactor forming out of rock and minerals.
I am lost for words, I really am. Yes, since I did a science degree in astronomy I know what plasma is. Are you sitting down? Ionised gas. Ionised gas gives off light because it is fucking hot.

Where do you get the idea that I said that two asteroids colliding was the same effect as a star? I said the appearance of a fireball is the same effect in a star and a nuke and an asteroid collision with a different energy source You are incredibly thick.
Actually since Alderaan is Earth-like it's quite small compared to most known planets
You got some canon proof that its small or to its size at all?
I think you might want to quit why you are behind
I was about to say the same to you...Alderaan being Earth-sized is explained by it's inhabitants being average humans, with damn-near Earth-normal gravity and environmental conditions. Ergo, it's very similar to Earth. Which makes it quite small compared to most known planets in the real world.
so no fire either since combustion is a chemical process and that environment is too hot for it to occur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion[/quote]

DO you actually read the shit you link to? Combustion is a chemical process, which by definition needs chemicals. In an environment consisting of plasma, there are no chemicals, just raw ionised elements. Thus, combustion cannot occur.
What is it with people not reading the topic

Yeah I didn't read it because the majority of it uses Non canon sources. So what would be the point? The entire disscusion is about how invalidating the EU has gotten rid of almost everything.
You didn't read it...and yet dismiss it. Clearly you missed the parts where Mike derives estimates of weapon ields and hyperdrives speeds (amongst other things) from canon sources in the films. Sure, not all of it is canon any more, but the relevant parts still are. So shut the hell up.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

malguslover wrote:
Batman wrote:malguslover? You will now demonstrate the math that shows the proton torpedo turn was not 72,000 gees.
ok whats the canon mass of the torpedo and acceleration? oh and the radius of the turn?
Thanks for admitting you have no idea what you're talking about, since the mass of the torpedo is completely irrelevant.
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Yes, since I did a science degree in astronomy

i really wish you had quit while you were behind. I feel like i'm picking on a special needs kid now
Combustion is a chemical process, which by definition needs chemicals. In an environment consisting of plasma, there are no chemicals, just raw ionised elements. Thus, combustion cannot occur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_substance
In chemistry, a chemical substance is a form of matter that has constant chemical composition and characteristic properties.[1] It cannot be separated into components by physical separation methods, i.e. without breaking chemical bonds. It can be solid, liquid, gas, or plasma.
Hows that degree working out for you? A degree in science and you don't even know what a Chemical Substance is?
You didn't read it...and yet dismiss it. Clearly you missed the parts where Mike derives estimates of weapon ields and hyperdrives speeds (amongst other things) from canon sources in the films. Sure, not all of it is canon any more, but the relevant parts still are. So shut the hell up.
Oh this is good so what parts are relevant? Tell me how he has canon sources describing power sources
I said the appearance of a fireball is the same effect in a star and a nuke and an asteroid collision with a different energy source You are incredibly thick.
this is just funny. So two rocks slamming into each other create the same effect as a nuke or a star. While in the vacuum of space because of Plasma you were saying?
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Batman wrote:
malguslover wrote:
Thanks for admitting you have no idea what you're talking about, since the mass of the torpedo is completely irrelevant.
Centripetal force is what you wanted me to find right?

kind of a key component F=mv^2/r
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

nothing to say about the the frame shots i took of alderan?
Borgholio wrote:So when the shield tried to resist the Death Star blast they changed the color from green to orange....this proves nothing.
You were saying?
All numbers are no longer canon at the moment Super compound Turbolaser was innacurte even in the old canon.
Bullshit. We can clearly see in many cases just how fast a Star Destroyer can fire, and it's easy to see how many guns it has. While we can't get a perfect count, we can see that the "hundreds" number reasonably accurate given what we see. Same with the weapon yields. We can SEE for ourselves how much firepower a SD has and quantify that easily.
A superlaser is anything but a compound turbolaser
It is EXACTLY a compound turbolaser! You see in every instance individual turbolaser bolts combining to form a much bigger beam. On the Death Star you even see the individual pulses traveling along a smaller "guide" beam.
72,000g turn
That is very much canon! We know that a proton torpedo was traveling at least 24 meters per second (calculated based on the estimate of 1 meter per frame and 24 frames per second, could even be double that, I'll have to re-watch the scene) and did a 90 degree turn into the exhaust port. Making that sudden of a turn at that speed is a shitload of G forces.
Even basic things like weapon speeds are no longer canon.
Speed of the torpedo is based on visually measuring the movie itself. That makes it very VERY canon. Deal with it.
You see what i'm getting at.
Yes - you are picking individual tidbits and title headings and deliberately avoiding the meat of the issues. I dare you to read about the amount of energy required to blow up a planet on the Death Star page and try to debunk it.
The galaxy must be full of exteremely powerful energy sources.
It is. Think about it. Antigravity units small enough to fit on a droid or a speeder the size of a car. The ability of a ship like the Millennium Falcon to go single-stage-to-orbit in less than 30 seconds. The ability of a Star Destroyer the size of a small city to lift off under it's own power and achieve orbit (Episode 2 finale). The ability to go fucking faster than light.

If there's one thing the SW galaxy is not hurting for, it's energy.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

So when the shield tried to resist the Death Star blast they changed the color from green to orange....this proves nothing.
no because its an explosion and not a shield.

If it was the shield why would it expand outward?

Same with the weapon yields. We can SEE for ourselves how much firepower a SD has and quantify that easily.
oh this is gonna be good. how?
That is very much canon! We know that a proton torpedo was traveling at least 24 meters per second (calculated based on the estimate of 1 meter per frame and 24 frames per second, could even be double that, I'll have to re-watch the scene) and did a 90 degree turn into the exhaust port. Making that sudden of a turn at that speed is a shitload of G forces.
F=mv^2/r
ok cool then whats the Mass of the torpedo and the radius of the turn?
Speed of the torpedo is based on visually measuring the movie itself. That makes it very VERY canon. Deal with it.
Great! so whats the mass and the radius of the turn. You can't calculate the centripetal force of the turn with out it.
It is. Think about it. Antigravity units small enough to fit on a droid or a speeder the size of a car. The ability of a ship like the Millennium Falcon to go single-stage-to-orbit in less than 30 seconds. The ability of a Star Destroyer the size of a small city to lift off under it's own power and achieve orbit (Episode 2 finale). The ability to go fucking faster than light.

If there's one thing the SW galaxy is not hurting for, it's energy.
EXACTLY!!!!!!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
Yes, since I did a science degree in astronomy

i really wish you had quit while you were behind. I feel like i'm picking on a special needs kid now
I am disabled with a severe visual impairment, so you are "picking on a special needs kid." Keep that offensive shit to yourself.
Combustion is a chemical process, which by definition needs chemicals. In an environment consisting of plasma, there are no chemicals, just raw ionised elements. Thus, combustion cannot occur.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_substance
In chemistry, a chemical substance is a form of matter that has constant chemical composition and characteristic properties.[1] It cannot be separated into components by physical separation methods, i.e. without breaking chemical bonds. It can be solid, liquid, gas, or plasma.
Hows that degree working out for you? A degree in science and you don't even know what a Chemical Substance is?
From the person who said "oxidents" could be elements. Please tell me what is your education beyond wikipedia?
You didn't read it...and yet dismiss it. Clearly you missed the parts where Mike derives estimates of weapon yields and hyperdrives speeds (amongst other things) from canon sources in the films. Sure, not all of it is canon any more, but the relevant parts still are. So shut the hell up.
Oh this is good so what parts are relevant? Tell me how he has canon sources describing power sources
That would be this section on Imperial Power Generation. Granted, most sources are not directly fromt he films, but it still includes the point about TIE fighters/X Wings easily reachign escape velocity from EArth-type planets and that logically capital ships should generate similar power per ton of ship. Or you coudl look at the beam weapons section which deals with scenes from the OT.
I said the appearance of a fireball is the same effect in a star and a nuke and an asteroid collision with a different energy source You are incredibly thick.
this is just funny. So two rocks slamming into each other create the same effect as a nuke or a star. While in the vacuum of space because of Plasma you were saying?
[/quote]

Sigh...the visual glowing effect is the same in all three cases. It is material that has been superheated and is cooling down again. It cools down by emitting that heat as light of varying wavelengths. Kinetic energy is transferred as heat and redistributed as light. This is why meteor impacts are comparable to nuclear explosions.

As for that second sentence, I have no idea what you're trying to say, since a star is already int he vacuum of space and is a ball of plasma.

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

no because its an explosion and not a shield.
Show me that high res pic you said you were going to get. Demonstrate for me that it's the surface of the planet melting and not a shield glowing with energy.
If it was the shield why would it expand outward?
Most forms of deflector shields (not just in SW) absorb energy and re-radiate it. That re-radiation was a lot of energy and created the glow that you see. Lots of energy = big glow.
oh this is gonna be good. how?
If you actually read the tech link I gave you, Mike already did the in depth calculations. But since you were a lazy ass, let me paraphrase:

1. Star Destroyer shoots asteroids and shatters them effortlessly.
2. Based on common materials in asteroids, X amount of energy is required to shatter them.
3. Thus, the ship's weapons must be capable of delivering X amount of energy to the asteroid.
4. X amount of energy can be converted into Y megatons of an equivalent nuclear blast.
5. The light and medium weapons (the ones used on screen) are capable of anywhere from 50 - 100 megatons of destructive force based on the previous calculations. The heavy guns are several times bigger and will logically have several times more destructive force.
6. Based on that reasonable statement, the heavy guns of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer can hit with ~1 gigaton of nuclear force.

Want more?
ok cool then whats the Mass of the torpedo and the radius of the turn?
Mass is unknown but irrelevant. G forces apply regardless of mass. Radius of the turn is approx. 90 degrees.
Great! so whats the mass and the radius of the turn. You can't calculate the centripetal force of the turn with out it.
We're not measuring centripetal force, we're measuring G force. Different concepts.
EXACTLY!!!!!!
So what is to prevent the Death Star from hitting Alderaan with one massive surge of energy? Why would they need to use exotic particles or some other technical tomfoolery?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

I am disabled with a severe visual impairment, so you are "picking on a special needs kid." Keep that offensive shit to yourself.
am I supposed to feel bad? You started with the insults event though I was civil.
From the person who said "oxidents" could be elements. Please tell me what is your education beyond wikipedia?
Yes I did say that.... you know who else said that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent
An oxidizing agent (also oxidant, oxidizer or oxidiser) is the element or compound in an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction that accepts an electron from another species.

That would be this section on Imperial Power Generation. Granted, most sources are not directly fromt he films, but it still includes the point about TIE fighters/X Wings easily reachign escape velocity from EArth-type planets and that logically capital ships should generate similar power per ton of ship. Or you coudl look at the beam weapons section which deals with scenes from the OT.
you're right most sources are non canon. Pretty much everything he calculates is either speculation or contains non canon items.
Sigh...the visual glowing effect is the same in all three cases. It is material that has been superheated and is cooling down again. It cools down by emitting that heat as light of varying wavelengths. Kinetic energy is transferred as heat and redistributed as light. This is why meteor impacts are comparable to nuclear explosions.
except you know IT"S ACTUALLY ON FIRE!!! The asteroids are actually burning!
malguslover
Padawan Learner

Post by malguslover »

Show me that high res pic you said you were going to get. Demonstrate for me that it's the surface of the planet melting and not a shield glowing with energy.

I'm not home yet but I will don't worry.
Most forms of deflector shields (not just in SW) absorb energy and re-radiate it. That re-radiation was a lot of energy and created the glow that you see. Lots of energy = big glow.
source?

If you actually read the tech link I gave you, Mike already did the in depth calculations. But since you were a lazy ass, let me paraphrase:
1. Star Destroyer shoots asteroids and shatters them effortlessly.
2. Based on common materials in asteroids, X amount of energy is required to shatter them.
3. Thus, the ship's weapons must be capable of delivering X amount of energy to the asteroid.
4. X amount of energy can be converted into Y megatons of an equivalent nuclear blast.
5. The light and medium weapons (the ones used on screen) are capable of anywhere from 50 - 100 megatons of destructive force based on the previous calculations. The heavy guns are several times bigger and will logically have several times more destructive force.
6. Based on that reasonable statement, the heavy guns of an Imperial-class Star Destroyer can hit with ~1 gigaton of nuclear force.

Want more?
I do want more. In fact I want to know if these were made off the Special Editions or the Orignal editions because as we saw there are some discrepncies.

How does he know what the asteroids are made of? Like we just said common materials for asteroids in our universe are iron and various other metals. However Iron doesn't burn when it collides with more iron
Mass is unknown but irrelevant. G forces apply regardless of mass. Radius of the turn is approx. 90 degrees.
I'll be honest i'm a little confused at what you want me to calculate. G-force or GRAVITAIONAL FORCE is the force of gravity felt as you accelerate.

So do you see how that isn't relevent while in space? But ok what is the Gravitational force that I would use?

Now centripetal force is what I think you mean.

i'm going out now i'll be home later to correct you on your misconceptions of science.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:
am I supposed to feel bad? You started with the insults event though I was civil.
You likened yourself to picking on a special needs kid. If you need an explanation as to why this is a bad thing you are beyond help.

Yes I did say that.... you know who else said that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent
An oxidizing agent (also oxidant, oxidizer or oxidiser) is the element or compound in an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction that accepts an electron from another species.
I am referring to elements in the physical, scientific sense. As in, the ~118 known varieties of atoms, differentiated by atomic number. Not "a component of a reaction." Since you claim to be "correcting our misconceptions of science" you should know this.

Incidentally, that's a useless article to link to, since you were talking about the oxygen in other molecules (which, when they contain oxygen and another element, are called oxides) being released, not an oxidising agent. Get your own facts straight before spamming stupid pictures.

Now, please answer my question. What is your education in science, apart from Wikipedia articles?

That would be this section on Imperial Power Generation. Granted, most sources are not directly fromt he films, but it still includes the point about TIE fighters/X Wings easily reachign escape velocity from Earth-type planets and that logically capital ships should generate similar power per ton of ship. Or you coudl look at the beam weapons section which deals with scenes from the OT.
you're right most sources are non canon. Pretty much everything he calculates is either speculation or contains non canon items.
Everything he calculated from canon events is speculation...everything you are coming up with based on canon events is also speculation. Mike at least did the calculations based on reasonable assumptions. You have not. Put up or shut up.
except you know IT"S ACTUALLY ON FIRE!!! The asteroids are actually burning!
[/quote]

You're just trolling now, you can't really be this stupid.
Last edited by Eternal_Freedom on 2014-04-28 10:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

malguslover wrote:

How does he know what the asteroids are made of? Like we just said common materials for asteroids in our universe are iron and various other metals. However Iron doesn't burn when it collides with more iron
He knows what asteroids are made of based on analysis of real-world asteroids. This allows us to make estimates based on average composition and density.

Well done, Iron doesn't burn in a vacuum. But none of us ever said it did. It glows as heat is disipated as light.
I'll be honest i'm a little confused at what you want me to calculate. G-force or GRAVITAIONAL FORCE is the force of gravity felt as you accelerate.

So do you see how that isn't relevent while in space? But ok what is the Gravitational force that I would use?

Now centripetal force is what I think you mean.
We are talking about the acceleration. As in, the change in velocity per unit time. g's are simply a unit we use to describe it, one g being the acceleration felt on Earth's surface, or 9.81 metres per second squared. Once again, if you claim to be correcting us you should know this.

"g forces" are a name given to what feels like gravity to a person. It's a laymans term (which you are apparently too thick to understand, ironically). In reality, as anyone who knows basic science knows, they are an acceleration, we just use g's as a unit for the same reason we use feet and inchs and light-years, it's an easy-to-understand-and-visualise unit.

Also, did you seriously just claim that gravitational acceleration isn't relevant in space?
i'm going out now i'll be home later to correct you on your misconceptions of science.
Oh fuck off your pretentious twat. Come back when you actually know what the hell you are talking about.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

OK I give up. Valen knows I've done my number of math and science boo-boos here but how does the mass of the torpedo figure into whether or not it made the turn?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Batman wrote:OK I give up. Valen knows I've done my number of math and science boo-boos here but how does the mass of the torpedo figure into whether or not it made the turn?
Because he's working on the assumption we mean centripetal force, not acceleration. Basically, he's an idiot.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Why are you guys arguing with this idiot? All he does is quote Wikipedia, which last time I checked, does not count as a credible debate source on this forum.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"