Saudi Arabia declares atheists terrorists

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Saudi Arabia declares atheists terrorists

Post by General Zod »

But hey, at least they gave women the vote, right?
Saudi Arabia has introduced a series of new laws which define atheists as terrorists, according to a report from Human Rights Watch.

In a string of royal decrees and an overarching new piece of legislation to deal with terrorism generally, the Saudi King Abdullah has clamped down on all forms of political dissent and protests that could "harm public order".

The new laws have largely been brought in to combat the growing number of Saudis travelling to take part in the civil war in Syria, who have previously returned with newfound training and ideas about overthrowing the monarchy.

To that end, King Abdullah issued Royal Decree 44, which criminalises "participating in hostilities outside the kingdom" with prison sentences of between three and 20 years, Human Rights Watch said.

Yet last month further regulations were issued by the Saudi interior ministry, identifying a broad list of groups which the government considers to be terrorist organisations - including the Muslim Brotherhood.

Article one of the new provisions defines terrorism as "calling for atheist thought in any form, or calling into question the fundamentals of the Islamic religion on which this country is based".

Joe Stork, deputy Middle East and North Africa director of Human Rights Watch, said: "Saudi authorities have never tolerated criticism of their policies, but these recent laws and regulations turn almost any critical expression or independent association into crimes of terrorism.

"These regulations dash any hope that King Abdullah intends to open a space for peaceful dissent or independent groups," Mr Stork said.

Human Rights Watch said the new regulations were also a setback to campaigns for the protection and release of a number of prominent human rights activists currently jailed in Saudi Arabia. It said Waleed Abu al-Khair and Mikhlif al-Shammari recently lost appeals and will soon begin three-month and five-year respective sentences for criticizing Saudi authorities.

The organisation said the new "terrorism" provisions contain language that prosecutors and judges are already using to prosecute and convict independent activists and peaceful dissidents.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Saudi Arabia declares atheists terrorists

Post by Borgholio »

Not just athiests...members of ANY religion who criticize Islam can be punished.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Not even funny. Sorry I can't offer a more expanded commentary. House of Saud must fall.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

And they will. If oil stays cheap for another 5 years (or perhaps even less at this point), the Saudis will run out of cash, be unable to fund their social welfare programs, and suddenly have a shitload of unrest that they can no longer throw money at. At that point, the country will descend into chaos, like so many other nations in the Middle East have.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Unlike many other nations, Saudi Arabia well deserves what is coming to them. It is hard to imagine a more reactionary force in the Middle East than their kingdom. ISIS, perhaps.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

K. A. Pital wrote:Unlike many other nations, Saudi Arabia well deserves what is coming to them. It is hard to imagine a more reactionary force in the Middle East than their kingdom. ISIS, perhaps.
The Royalty, all 50 bajillion of them, sure. The average Saudi, probably not.

Unfortunately when some gets whats coming to them its at the cost of countless lives. Gaddafi Duck got his after a brutal civil war that torn Libya apart. Saddam got his when Murica invaded Iraqistan and turned what was once a okay nation for some people (which people seem to forget) into a wasteland bad for all. Osama Bin Laden got his after a world wide coalition turned an entire country into a decade long international soldiers convention and he spent that entire time in fucking luxury thanks to the US's ally Pakistan. People getting theirs and leaving behind nations broken, bodies uncountable, and misery nearly impossible to imagine.

It would be the same way with SA. Any attempts externally or internally would result in massive amount of bloodshed with plenty of people who aren't the Saudi royalty getting what should be coming to the royals douches.

Now this isn't me saying you are wanting thousands or millions of people to die or me implying these bad people shouldn't be removed. But there is still something disturbing about having a guffaw and being flippant towards what will surely be a terrible affair in the costs of human lives. Innocent human lives, human lives that didn't spend theirs acting like worse versions of Paris Hilton, funding international terrorism, restricting human lives, and murdering people because they can.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Except in terms of human lives that already are lost, Saudi Arabia carries a lot of the blame for the ME-spanning bloodbath in Syria, Iraq and Libya. Partially in Yemen, too.

I think the role a government plays in world affairs is also important. Even when choosing between KSA and Iran, KSA's salafist influence on Sunni Arabs and other Sunnis is like ten times more dangerous.

Assalti Frontali
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I suspect that when things go pear-shaped in Saudi Arabia... most of the royal family is just going to throw money around to get the hell out of Dodge and let the country descend into anarchy until someone else steps in. I don't think most of them have the balls to stick around and put down the peace.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The worst part is that if and when the Saudi government collapses, whatever ends up replacing it will probably be even worse. At least the current regime has functioning infrastructure and generally keeps the pillaging to a minimum.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Y'know, part of me wants to minimize human suffering at any cost. The other part thinks, "You xenophobic, close-minded zealot fucks are terrified of my ideas? Good."

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Elheru Aran wrote:I suspect that when things go pear-shaped in Saudi Arabia... most of the royal family is just going to throw money around to get the hell out of Dodge and let the country descend into anarchy until someone else steps in. I don't think most of them have the balls to stick around and put down the peace.
I'm sure London will accept ultra rich refugees with open arms. Hell, half of London real estate is probably already owned by Saudi oligargs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

To be fair, I'm an atheist and have terrorized fundamentalist Muslims with drawings of Mohammed eating at a Jewish deli. I know, I should be ashamed.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Elheru Aran wrote:I suspect that when things go pear-shaped in Saudi Arabia... most of the royal family is just going to throw money around to get the hell out of Dodge and let the country descend into anarchy until someone else steps in. I don't think most of them have the balls to stick around and put down the peace.
The world should unite in the common goal of preventing them from leaving when that happens.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

I don't see why you all would discriminate against Saudi Refugees and not Syrian refugees.... refugees are refugees... right?
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

And pathetic troll is pathetic troll.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Thanas wrote:And pathetic troll is pathetic troll.
Meh... I still fail to see why one group of refugees is less important than another, as we are reliably informed it's the need that is the primary factor in determining the gate of refugees entering europe, not the situation at the destination or the wishes of,the destination country. Why would you wish for a situation that would obviously create millions MORE refugees that Germany, a primary destination country, will not be able to absorb... Service probably. But,absorb? Not,likely
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
The world should unite in the common goal of preventing them from leaving when that happens.
I thought keeping refugees out of Europe was condemning them,to death and was baaaad.... Come on Spengler, are we gonna cross the streams now?
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

Jonesey, you are equating the plight of theoretical refugee authoritarian monarchs who created their own problems with the situation confronting actual dirt poor refugee goat herders and orphans who did not ask to be violently supersize sharia'd. Put the bong down and get a grip, man.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Raw Shark wrote:Jonesey, you are equating the plight of theoretical refugee authoritarian monarchs who created their own problems with the situation confronting actual dirt poor refugee goat herders and orphans who did not ask to be violently supersize sharia'd. Put the bong down and get a grip, man.
We can compare unlike things in order to draw conclusions, I can see how people might think that Saudi refugees might "deserve it" more, but as it was pointed out upthread, the people who would likely "deserve" it, are the most likely to escape unscathed. Saudi Arabia is full of Pakistani, Philippine and other imported workers who would suffer the most. Those gleefully calling for the downfall of the kingdom should be made,aware of that.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

True enough. But in the long term, the cost in human suffering of getting rid of the Saudi monarchy might be less than the cost of not doing it.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Zaune wrote:True enough. But in the long term, the cost in human suffering of getting rid of the Saudi monarchy might be less than the cost of not doing it.
It would be nice if that was true, but that's what we thought about Gaddafi and we all know how that ended up. Unfortunately, I cannot trust the people of Saudi Arabia to not be worse than their monarchs.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

cmdrjones wrote:I don't see why you all would discriminate against Saudi Refugees and not Syrian refugees.... refugees are refugees... right?
No their economic status differs. The royal saudis will have something I think of as "Rich people problems" and so I have no sympathies for them or their fates.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
cmdrjones wrote:I don't see why you all would discriminate against Saudi Refugees and not Syrian refugees.... refugees are refugees... right?
No their economic status differs. The royal saudis will have something I think of as "Rich people problems" and so I have no sympathies for them or their fates.

Very empathic of you... again, not all of the saudis are royals
the atom
Padawan Learner

Post by the atom »

K. A. Pital wrote:Unlike many other nations, Saudi Arabia well deserves what is coming to them. It is hard to imagine a more reactionary force in the Middle East than their kingdom. ISIS, perhaps.
Yeah, ISIS. Also, Al Qaeda and their quijillion affiliate groups. That's what will fill the vacuum if the House of Saud falls.

As despicable as they are, I'd rather not see Middle Eastern civilization collapse more than it has already.
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste..."
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

the atom wrote:
Yeah, ISIS. Also, Al Qaeda and their quijillion affiliate groups. That's what will fill the vacuum if the House of Saud falls.

As despicable as they are, I'd rather not see Middle Eastern civilization collapse more than it has already.
Bingo