Donald Trump has been found guilty of all 34 counts in his landmark hush money criminal trial

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Donald Trump has been found guilty of all 34 counts in his landmark hush money criminal trial

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Guilty! :lol:
Donald Trump has been found guilty of all 34 counts in his landmark hush money criminal trial.

He has become the first American president in history to be convicted of felony crimes.

Thursday's decision followed over 11 hours deliberations from 18 jurors in a case which first began midway through April.

It will likely take several months for Judge Juan Merchan, who oversaw the case, to decide whether to sentence Trump to prison.

Ahead of the verdict, the judge requested there be "no reactions, no outbursts of any kind".

Trump has denied any wrongdoing throughout the trial, held in New York City.

Speaking just after the judge sent the jury to decide on the result, Trump appeared to say he thought he would be convicted.

Trump told reporters that the charges were rigged and again accused the judge of being conflicted while saying that "Mother Teresa could not beat these charges."

"What is happening here is weaponisation at a level that nobody’s seen before ever and it shouldn’t be allowed to happen," Trump said.

Trump repeated accusations that the criminal charges were brought by the Biden administration to hit him, as the president’s main election opponent.

Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg originally filed the case against Trump in March 2023, charging him on 34 felony counts of falsifying business records.

The trial focused on allegations that Trump and his allies conspired to stifle potentially embarrassing stories during the 2016 presidential campaign through hush money payments - including to former adult film actress Stormy Daniels and former Playboy model Karen McDougal.

Both Daniels and McDougal claim to have been paid to keep quiet about affairs they had with Trump.

Trump denied the allegations and argued in court that neither Daniels, McDougal nor his then-attorney, Michael Cohen - who claims to have paid both actresses - can be trusted.

Cohen was one of 20 witnesses who gave evidence and testimony at the trial over the course of 15 days.

The case comes as Trump - the presumptive Republican presidential candidate - prepares to battle it out with incumbent US President Joe Biden for November's presidential election.
bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Re: Donald Trump has been found guilty of all 34 counts in his landmark hush money criminal trial

Post by bobalot »

There is currently a fight on his wikipedia page about adding "convicted felon" to the initial summary paragraph.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Donald Trump has been found guilty of all 34 counts in his landmark hush money criminal trial

Post by Rogue 9 »

bobalot wrote: 2024-06-01 07:40am There is currently a fight on his wikipedia page about adding "convicted felon" to the initial summary paragraph.
To arms! :D
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-06-01 09:06am
bobalot wrote: 2024-06-01 07:40am There is currently a fight on his wikipedia page about adding "convicted felon" to the initial summary paragraph.
It should be changed to
Convicted Felon (Pending Appeals)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

I added a second sentence to the first paragraph noting that he is the first former President convicted of a felony, which seems to be where the consensus was going in the Request for Comment on the talk page.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Solauren wrote: 2024-06-01 09:20am
It should be changed to
Edit wars are both hilarious and sad, they're bound to lock it sooner or later :lol:
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-06-01 10:57am

It should be changed to
Edit wars are both hilarious and sad, they're bound to lock it sooner or later :lol:
Until then, enjoy the chaos and add to it if you can :-D
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

Welp, someone came along and removed the felony reference claiming it violates current consensus (the current consensus document is very specific about the wording of the first sentence, not about adding to the first paragraph, so he's full of shit). Edit warring is unproductive, so time to get to work in the proper Wikipedian way.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

bobalot
Jedi Council Member

Post by bobalot »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-06-01 10:57am

It should be changed to
Good old internet flame wars and shit posts.

Never thought I would miss it so much.
"This statement, in its utterly clueless hubristic stupidity, cannot be improved upon. I merely quote it in admiration of its perfection." - Garibaldi

"Problem is, while the Germans have had many mea culpas and quite painfully dealt with their history, the South is still hellbent on painting themselves as the real victims. It gives them a special place in the history of assholes" - Covenant

"Over three million died fighting for the emperor, but when the war was over he pretended it was not his responsibility. What kind of man does that?'' - Saburo Sakai

Join SDN on Discord