Japanese War Guilt Debate

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Eleas wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote:
Eleas wrote: It's very true. If you really want to get assfucked, just walk up to a cop in Germany and say "Sieg Heil". You'll be lucky to escape without a beating and a fine.

What, have you tried it on a dare or something and thus know from personal experience? *g*
Certainly not! Cops turn me off.
Yes, yes, youve always been like that haven't you? One man gives you a little rough treatment and then you generalize and exclude all policemen from your preferences...
Tss.. A shame it is that you can be more openminded.

:D
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Pendragon wrote: Yes, yes, youve always been like that haven't you? One man gives you a little rough treatment and then you generalize and exclude all policemen from your preferences...
Yeah, I know. I wish I could follow your example. But unlike you, I have a rectum to preserve. ;)
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Eleas wrote:
Pendragon wrote: Yes, yes, youve always been like that haven't you? One man gives you a little rough treatment and then you generalize and exclude all policemen from your preferences...
Yeah, I know. I wish I could follow your example. But unlike you, I have a rectum to preserve. ;)
Jean-Pierre and Günther claims otherwise, and have pictures to back it up. ;)
"Perfect. It's everything a girl could hope for: Expensive, explosive and phallic."
- Critical Maas
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Pendragon wrote:Jean-Pierre and Günther claims otherwise, and have pictures to back it up. ;)
Oh, so yours wasn't ruined after all? Astonishing. I accept your exhibitionism as being a sign of a free spirit, but I think I'd rather die than see any pictures of you naked.

By the way, this is getting terrifyingly OT. :)
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Pendragon
Padawan Learner

Post by Pendragon »

Eleas wrote:
Pendragon wrote:Jean-Pierre and Günther claims otherwise, and have pictures to back it up. ;)
Oh, so yours wasn't ruined after all? Astonishing. I accept your exhibitionism as being a sign of a free spirit, but I think I'd rather die than see any pictures of you naked.
Eleas wrote:By the way, this is getting terrifyingly OT. :)
Ach nein! Foiled by my own qouting! The horrors of not being selective enough...

Rest assured, revenge will come bringing with it a ballgag and KY.
Eleas wrote:By the way, this is getting terrifyingly OT. :)
Indeed. To bring it back on topic I'll state:

Every country who has fought in a war for the past 200 years has been very naughty and should go to their rooms and not be let out until theyre ready to apologize to the rest of the world... wich would be... uhm... Sweden, Iceland and Switzerland?
- Critical Maas
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Eleas wrote:
Tisk tisk, Jaina. You know the modus operandi of SDnet!
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

phongn wrote:Tisk tisk, Jaina. You know the modus operandi of SDnet!
...no?
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Eleas wrote:
...no?
Ass-fucking man, ass fucking!
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pendragon wrote:
Every country who has fought in a war for the past 200 years has been very naughty and should go to their rooms and not be let out until theyre ready to apologize to the rest of the world... wich would be... uhm... Sweden, Iceland and Switzerland?
Iceland was part of Denmark during WW2 and had a large and very busy Allied base, many convoys to Russia launched from its. Sweden and Switzerland also engaged during WW2, Sweden depth charged many subs of both sides and shot down intruding planes. Switzerland mostly just shot down planes and both nations collected scores of damaged American bombers.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Vympel wrote:
Eleas wrote:
...no?
Ass-fucking man, ass fucking!
Ouch, I feel so stupid now.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Sokar wrote:While I acknowledge that the Japanese as a society have yet to properly deal with their wartime history, much the same could be said for any number of nations the US included. We have a number of shameful incidents sprinkled throughout our history that rival any of the atrocities committed by Japan during the war.
Something similar to the Rape of Nanking? Similar to the systematic genocide of Chinese and Koreans? A death toll in World War II double that of Hitler's concentration camps? The US maybe (very slight maybe) killed that many Native Americans over the course of the settlement of the continent, but certainly not in 7 years. The Spanish Inquisition (a particular favorite around here) had maybe one-one hundredth of a percent of the deaths in three centuries as Japan did in 7 years.
This does not absolve them, nor us, of our lapse, but I don't think you should condem a truly important work of cinema just out of spite for the land that created it. GotF has a powerful message in it, one more people need to see and understand so that we don't keep repeating thoes self same 'shameful incidents' that bring about so much pain and suffering for our fellow men.
I'll admit I'm not sure what's being talked about here, but Japan does have a shocking capacity to ignore its past atrocities, going so far as to claim that the only significant part of World War II was the dropping of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs, ignoring the invasion of Machukuo, the war with the Kuonmintang, Pearl Harbor, Nanking, the Phillippines, and the entire rest of the war.

Sorry to bring this back up, but it's a somewhat touchy subject for me.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore