The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Flagg »

maraxus2 wrote:
Flagg wrote:Hey, I haven't posted since yesterday and it was about something totally different! :P
True enough, and you're the old ignoramus who's lived in this thread for a while now.
Hey!

I'm not that old. I just feel that way.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So is there any reason for him not to concede? The primaries are over and Clinton won handily.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Gandalf wrote:So is there any reason for him not to concede? The primaries are over and Clinton won handily.
Convention leverage, I guess.

In other words, he's running to influence the platform and the party leadership, not to win the nomination.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Gandalf wrote:So is there any reason for him not to concede? The primaries are over and Clinton won handily.
Convention leverage, I guess.

In other words, he's running to influence the platform and the party leadership, not to win the nomination.
I've heard this idea before, but what puzzles me is that I don't see how this helps his get leverage. Does someone need his delegates?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

He needs to give his supporters an off-ramp. The ones still on board with his campaign are going into full-blown conspiracy mode (see the bullshit about Google favoring Clinton earlier in the thread). Winning some sort of concession at the convention might bring them back to reality.

That's the hope anyway. I'm skeptical; these are the same folks who would whine about how Clinton doesn't actually believe in anything and how she's a neoliberal establishment corporatist shill or whatever the term du jour is.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Gandalf wrote:I've heard this idea before, but what puzzles me is that I don't see how this helps his get leverage. Does someone need his delegates?
No, but they do need his voters. Some of them were never going to vote Clinton, but most will probably migrate back to the Dem camp by the end of the election. They gotta be nice to him before he rides off into the sunset.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

maraxus2 wrote:No, but they do need his voters. Some of them were never going to vote Clinton, but most will probably migrate back to the Dem camp by the end of the election. They gotta be nice to him before he rides off into the sunset.
Do they really? All it took was a Clinton won in the head to head polling average swung like 4 pts. I assume it'll swing another 5 by November. Sanders' voters have been really talked up, but they seem to be basically useless.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

He's the dishonest old bastard 1 issue prostitute I've been saying he is for 4 months now who would rather throw the electing to Donald Dump and watch the world burn than ever help Clinton, or the DNC because they represent what he hates despite Donnie Dingleberry representing them more?

Old man yells at sky?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

FireNexus wrote:
maraxus2 wrote:No, but they do need his voters. Some of them were never going to vote Clinton, but most will probably migrate back to the Dem camp by the end of the election. They gotta be nice to him before he rides off into the sunset.
Do they really? All it took was a Clinton won in the head to head polling average swung like 4 pts. I assume it'll swing another 5 by November. Sanders' voters have been really talked up, but they seem to be basically useless.
A 5 point swing is a hell of a lot, though. Sure Trump's unpopular, but he can be expected to receive roughly 45% of the national vote. If they're going to have a shot of picking up the swing Senate seats, they'll need to be winning big nationwide. There just aren't enough ticket-splitters for Senators in OH, PA, NC, and NH to hang on. If Trump loses big enough, he could potentially put seats that should be utterly safe in play, like IA, AZ, and MO into play.

I do agree with Bernie on one thing; I want to see Trump defeated, and defeated badly, and I don't think it's wise for Clinton's campaign to spit on Sanders voters, especially since he's very obviously winding down.

The Green Party people can go fuck off, and the "Dems" that end up voting for Stein can fuck off too. We really need the rest of them, though, especially if they vote down ticket.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Flagg wrote:
He's the dishonest old bastard 1 issue prostitute I've been saying he is for 4 months now who would rather throw the electing to Donald Dump and watch the world burn than ever help Clinton, or the DNC because they represent what he hates despite Donnie Dingleberry representing them more?

Old man yells at sky?
Prostitute is somewhat a matter of opinion (although I consider it an odd label, to say the least, to attach to the only major candidate not wallowing in corporate money), but most of the rest is entirely false.

You could make a rather dubious argument that Sanders is inadvertently aiding Trump by remaining in the race (although many, perhaps most Democrats want him to and that he is now actively working to bring his supporters over to Clinton), but to say that he actively wants and intends Trump to win is utterly baseless and contradicts his own statements. Its conspiracy theorism, plain and simple.

In his speech tonight, he flat-out set one of the priorities of his cause/campaign is defeating Donald Trump, and talked about how he's going to work with Clinton.

Hell, even maraxus2, a complete Clinton partisan, has pointed out that by remaining in he's giving his die-hard supporters an "off-ramp".

The claim that Sanders is a single issue candidate is also utterly false, disproven again and again, though it scarcely needs to be disproven to begin with. Watching any one of the debates or spending two fucking minutes on Sanders' Facebook page would disprove it.

We get it, you don't like Sanders because "Waaahhhh, not a real Democrat!" So why don't you just say that (or better yet, be content with having said it innumerable times already) without feeling the need to tack on a stream of bullshit to justify your personal dislike?

I mean, I really don't get it. You're lying, and its obvious you're lying, and anyone who has even casually followed the race can tell that you're lying. So why bother? Just for kicks?

And frankly, people like you, who insist on continuing a feud against Sanders and his supporters, are doing far more to divide the Democratic Party than Bernie Sanders is. So thanks for helping Trump.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Flagg is trolling you. It's working. Stop it.
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I mean, I really don't get it. You're lying, and its obvious you're lying, and anyone who has even casually followed the race can tell that you're lying. So why bother? Just for kicks?
I'm sorta interested to see just how angry you can get.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Terralthra wrote:Flagg is trolling you. It's working. Stop it.
I'm not trolling him, I'm trying to blast some hard protein truths in his fucking face. And Full Service Sanders has not even conceded the fucking nomination! All he did was go out and bitch about how much the Democrats sucks, yell at the sky, poop in his depends, then go back to his Motel and cry.

Now I expect to be called a liar (by TRR, not you) as it's his standard response when you say something true he doesn't like. He's like Luke Skywalker after Vader cuts his hand off and reveals he's Luke's father (only way more melodramatic and whiney).
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd just like to add that I find your continued blatant ageism offensive. That is all.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And back to actual election news:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-eliz ... ideration/
Hillary Clinton's campaign is considering making Elizabeth Warren her running mate but has ruled out Bernie Sanders, the Wall Street Journal reports.

LIVE on CBSN tonight: 8:30 p.m. Bernie Sanders addresses supporters
Other senators being considered for the role include Tim Kaine of Virginia, Sherrod Brown of Ohio, and Cory Booker of New Jersey. Los Angeles mayor Eric Garcetti, Housing and Urban Development secretary Julian Castro, and Reps. Xavier Becerra and Tim Ryan are also being looked at, according to the Journal.

Play VIDEO
When will Bernie Sanders drop out?
Sanders and Warren both hail from the more progressive wing of the Democratic party and are closely aligned on many issues. A Sanders advisor told the paper that the Vermont senator is not particularly interested in the job. Still, many of his supporters had hoped that he would be considered for the job.

The Sanders and Clinton camps are currently in discussions to help unify the party in advance of next month's Democratic convention. Sanders wants the party's platform to be more progressive and various changes to nominating rules.

Warren, meanwhile, has impressed the Clinton campaign with her attacks on presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump.

Clinton has said that the main criteria for a running mate is for them to be able to become president. Advisors say she is not particularly interested in geographic or demographic factors, and that she feels she's embraced enough progressive positions that she doesn't necessarily need to choose someone from the left wing of her party.
So the VP selection process, evidently, is well-under way.

I believe I've already stated that Warren is my preference, though its interesting to see some other names under consideration.

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Who is going to be Trumps choice?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Purple wrote:Who is going to be Trumps choice?
A small, evil part of me wants it to be Sanders, because I love me some fireworks (though a hydrogen bomb would probably be a more apt comparison for the internet's reaction).
I know, it's a ridiculous concept. OR IS IT?
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Chimaera wrote:
A small, evil part of me wants it to be Sanders, because I love me some fireworks (though a hydrogen bomb would probably be a more apt comparison for the internet's reaction).
I know, it's a ridiculous concept. OR IS IT?
Now that would be delicious.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'd just like to add that I find your continued blatant ageism offensive. That is all.
Dude, you find everything offensive. You know what I find offensive? Your conduct in this and every other thread where you breathlessly overstate, overblow, or misunderstand a story and make goddamned doomsday posts. I find your response to a good 75% of posts directed at you have you calling the person you are replying to a fucking liar. I don't know how old you are, but you act like a child and should probably get your didy changed with Full Service Sanders. Nitwit.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

His wig.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

All of you SHUT THE FUCK UP. Shitpost after shitpost from ALL of you. SHUT IT DOWN. NOW. Or I lock this thread and there's no Part IV.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

It's not going to be Warren, IMO. There's too big a gulf between Clinton and Warren on economics and from what I'm told, she hates campaigning. I mean she had to run for her seat twice in the same number of years and I think if she runs it will be on her own ticket in 8 years.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

So she's parading Warren around as show for the progressives?
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote:So she's parading Warren around as show for the progressives?
Has Clinton mentioned Warren? If that's the case, that may change things and maybe a Warren is seriously considering a run. Which would be too bad, IMO, as the VP can't do as much as a senator, unless her joining the ticket has conditioneds :angelic:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Flagg wrote:
Gaidin wrote:So she's parading Warren around as show for the progressives?
Has Clinton mentioned Warren? If that's the case, that may change things and maybe a Warren is seriously considering a run. Which would be too bad, IMO, as the VP can't do as much as a senator, unless her joining the ticket has conditioneds :angelic:
The VP has lately had as much advisory power as the President wants. Just ask Cheney how much influence the progressives might give Warren insofar as the vote is concerned.