Major incident occuring on the London Underground.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

weemadando wrote:Another interesting point - how long till peak hour in East Coast US - or is that right about now?
it's 7:42 AM on the Eastern Seabord right now, so rush hour is the next hour or so.

Jesus Christ, am I the only one who thinks that the death toll from this is going to be horrific? Three buses alone....
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Just heard a 50 confirmed dead count.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

weemadando wrote:Just heard a 50 confirmed dead count.
Where did you hear this? The BBC has said nothing.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Fuck - I'm thinking my 150 guess is going to be low if its only 50 confirmed at the moment and major SAR ops at Kings Cross.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

I got the 10 dead from CNN. Beeb is sticking to goverment, others are apprently asking ground people. :?

Officials warning about more bombs unexploded, lots of alerts, lots of stuff being defused.
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Again, brits say "casualty" for injured AND dead. Watch out for "fatality".

For the morbid, Some folks are uploading mobile pictures
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

ALI_G wrote:
weemadando wrote:Just heard a 50 confirmed dead count.
Where did you hear this? The BBC has said nothing.
SBS news in Aus, they've been feeding from BBC World mainly - sounds like it came straight off the wire.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It appears there are several trails that have not been gone through yet which were trapped between stations after explosives went off.

*Edit looks communcations were targeted as well as it seems one of the local exchange office juntions also got hit(CNN international)
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2005-07-07 07:48am, edited 1 time in total.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Again, brits say "casualty" for injured AND dead. Watch out for "fatality".
The quote was: "50 confirmed dead..." Might be a fuck-up on the news services side, but with SBS I REALLY doubt it.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

ALI_G wrote:COBRA has been initiated - emergency powers for the police and government to control basically whatever they like.
You have a contingency plan named after a fictional terrorist organization? The irony, it drips.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Tiger Ace
Jedi Knight

Post by Tiger Ace »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Again, brits say "casualty" for injured AND dead. Watch out for "fatality".

For the morbid, Some folks are uploading mobile pictures
Nothing gorey there.
In the subways..gah, no links, I'd expect stuff that looks like when our buses explode.
Useless geek posting above.

Its Ace Pace.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

weemadando wrote:
The quote was: "50 confirmed dead..." Might be a fuck-up on the news services side, but with SBS I REALLY doubt it.
Yeah, that 50 confirmed comes from the Italian government....

...for some reason.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

And Alexander Downer is now "strongly condemning . . . this cruel and evil act of terrorism . . . roundly condemning . . ." Still no update on the crazy at Kirabilly house.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The emergency gov't won't start releasing figures now, they need to secure the areas affected, lockdown the city (no one is getting in or out easily now) and tend to those still trapped underground. I wouldn't put it past at least a couple dozen dead since a blast in a tube will be so much more concentrated and London's public transport system is always to capacity.

We know at least now that the emergency protocols practiced the other year were useful afterall. Schools are also being looked at now since the kids will be coming out in a few hours.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
weemadando wrote:
Yeah, that 50 confirmed comes from the Italian government....

...for some reason.
Most likely an update to embassy officials to help with the "worried about your family" phone lines and other issues. Wouldn't doubt its validity.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Sir Ian Blair says that the number of officially identified incidents 'may increase'.
"I'm personally against seeing my pictures and statues in the streets - but it's what the people want." - Saparmurat Niyazov
"I'm not good in groups. It's difficult to work in a group when you're omnipotent." - Q
HAB Military Intelligence: Providing sexed-up dodgy dossiers for illegal invasions since 2003.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

ALI_G wrote:Sir Ian Blair says that the number of officially identified incidents 'may increase'.
I love Brit understatement. What do you call decades of IRA bombings? "The Troubles".
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Is the FTSE still taking a massive header? Last I saw it was down around 171... I would have thought they'd close trading.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
ALI_G wrote:Sir Ian Blair says that the number of officially identified incidents 'may increase'.
I love Brit understatement. What do you call decades of IRA bombings? "The Troubles".
I'm truly disappointed that the term "terrorist outrage" hasn't been used yet...

And Charles Clarke's (Home Secretary?) speech at the House of Commons has been moved back to 1315.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

FTSE down 168 points at 12.54. Statement happening now in the Commons...
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

No - its starting now...
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Home secratary live on BBC two say he can confirm there was only 4 explosions.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Four confirmed explosions, all on busy networks. If those are just double-deckers alone, this could be a hundred deaths. We're looking at another Madrid, possibly worse if the tubes were affected as badly.
Ubiquitous
Sith Devotee

Post by Ubiquitous »

Statement says:

- FOUR explosions confirmed so far
- Not sure who did it yet
- MET police in operational command
- Underground will be closed for at least today, no buses until later today
- Airports operating normally.
- People advised NOT to travel into London
- COBRA meetings chaired by Home Secretary until Blair comes back
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Rough summary:

Tube off
Rail quasi on
Air still going

Stay the fuck out of london, and keep out our way.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire