The 2016 US Election (Part III)

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Q99
Jedi Council Member

Re: The 2016 US Election (Part III)

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Its not that I'm very concerned that she might lose. Its just... is 40% of the country really still okay with Trump?
40% of the country's voters (which leaves out a lot of people) are ok with *their personal images* of Trump. Which could be 'he has an R and I've voted R for decades,' could be 'I hate Democrats,' could be 'The local economy is bad, therefore something very different means it'll get good.'

Other cases, it's the racism or sexism, but, well, I posted the article on the 'because' vs 'despite' split of Trump supporters. Even a lot who are voting for him don't *like* him, they just feel it's their only option.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

In honor of Dickhead Don's bad week, I'm trying my hand at another hashtag trend. Burn thefood died when they proved themselves to be less principled than even I thought.

https://fundraise.rainn.org/amendsformisogyny

#amendsformisogyny

If you're a twitterer, go on Twitter and confess some behavior towards women or woman you're not proud of. Something you wish you could undo. Then donate a small amount to RAINN at the link.

My basic theory is that Trump airs an important fact. Even the best of us are not as good as we need to be. "At least I'm not Trump" ain't good enough. If you are in the US, Trump's existence proves you need to do better. This is my plan.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

I received my early ballot (Arizona) yesterday and just finished filling it out.

I was surprised that there were more Green Party candidates on the ballot that I had expected. Stein made it but there were also two candidates for county offices and one for the state legislature. The Libertarians only had Johnson/Weld on the ballot. There was one Independent for a county office.

This is not counting all the judges that were up for reelection. I had reviewed them previously based on their records so didn't pay to much attention to their party affiliation, if it was stated.

We're pretty much guaranteed to have a new county sheriff this year. The incumbent, who was an appointee when the previous long term sheriff resigned was pretty much getting his ass kicked based on all the local law enforcement groups endorsing his opponent. Just this week his chief of staff was brought up on some charges by the FBI. That and a lot of other shady thing probably mean he's going to lose pretty badly and if he doesn't he will likely be in legal troubles and have to be replaced anyway.

We also had propositions for legalizing weed for recreational use, and another one for raising the minimum wage.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

And in Texas, for the first time ever, number of registered voters has exceeded 15 million.

NBC news DFW
Texas Exceeds 15M Registered Voters for 1st Time

Texas Exceeds 15M Registered Voters for 1st TimeGetty Images

Texas has set a new record for statewide registered voters -- exceeding 15 million ahead of Election Day on Nov. 8.
Secretary of State Carlos Cascos announced Thursday that 15,015,700 Texans had registered ahead of the deadline, which expired two days prior.

That's roughly 78 percent of Texas' estimated voting population of 19.3-plus million.
Early voting begins Oct. 24.

During 2012's presidential election, Texas had more than 13.6 million registered voters, or about 75 percent of its voting age population.
Many Texans can't vote because they are under 18 or aren't U.S. Citizens.

About 14.2 million Texans were registered for the presidential primaries in March, when the state set a record for Republican primary turnout.
Despite those increases, though, Texas generally has continued to lag behind national voter turnout rates.
So, Clinton or Trump supporters registering in droves?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Best case scenario: Unusually high Latino turnout to stop Trump, Texas will be close.

Worst case scenario: Lots of Texan Trumpers turning out, and it'll help Trump's popular vote total, which will make the Alt Right appear stronger and more mainstream.

Either way, I doubt it'll effect the Electoral College, unless the polls are underestimating Clinton's strength enough for Texas to actually go blue.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Trump's lack of ground game means almost no voter registration efforts.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, I imagine that's especially true with a lot of the Republican machinery saying "fuck it".

I suspect that the polls are generally underestimating Clinton by at least a point or two.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Q99 wrote:Trump's lack of ground game means almost no voter registration efforts.
They are airing ads here with Dr Ben Carson (who needs to gat a mirror and perform brain surgery on himself) with an 800 number saying "press 1 to pledge support for Donnie Douchebag and get your polling location, press 2 if you don't know if you're registered so we can get you registered!" Given by the same voice actor who sells cheap "collectors coins". I shit you not. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Would it be fair to say that, barring a major unexpected change between now and election day, Clinton will probably win by a similar margin to Obama in 2008? Albeit with a slightly higher number of third party/independent voters? Because that's the impression that I'm getting.

Which is... kind of sad, really. If their's no difference between the kind of win you get against John McCain, vs. the kind of win you get against Donald fucking Trump. A sign of how insanely partisan things have gotten.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Flagg wrote:They are airing ads here with Dr Ben Carson (who needs to gat a mirror and perform brain surgery on himself)...
What makes you think he hasn't? Remember, he became known for pioneering a procedure that, at high risk, can save a patient's life by removing one half of his brain...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Would it be fair to say that, barring a major unexpected change between now and election day, Clinton will probably win by a similar margin to Obama in 2008? Albeit with a slightly higher number of third party/independent voters? Because that's the impression that I'm getting.

Which is... kind of sad, really. If their's no difference between the kind of win you get against John McCain, vs. the kind of win you get against Donald fucking Trump. A sign of how insanely partisan things have gotten.
Looking like several more states than that. She has safe margin.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Would it be fair to say that, barring a major unexpected change between now and election day, Clinton will probably win by a similar margin to Obama in 2008? Albeit with a slightly higher number of third party/independent voters? Because that's the impression that I'm getting.

No. She's gonna blow Donnie Douchebag out of the water. There are papers all across the country who have never endorsed a Democrat, and some papers who rarely, if ever, endorse anyone for POTUS who are not just endorsing Clinton, but flat out encouraging readers not to vote Trump. I'll be shocked if the margin isn't in the double digits.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Given where Hillary's support is it's likely that she gets a higher proportion of the popular vote whilst coming out with a similar electoral college as 2008.

Blue states tend to be deeper blue this year.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Vendetta wrote:Given where Hillary's support is it's likely that she gets a higher proportion of the popular vote whilst coming out with a similar electoral college as 2008.

Blue states tend to be deeper blue this year.
I'm at the point of being more interested in house and senate races than the (now) fake POTUS horse race. Hillary Clinton could go full Terry Schiavo at this point and be elected.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Some looks at Texas polling:

KHOU News
New poll: Trump lead shrinks in Texas, within margin of error
After perhaps the most damaging week of his campaign, Donald Trump's lead in Texas has slipped to four percentage points - within the margin of error - according to a new poll released Thursday night.

Jason Whitely, KHOU 11:42 AM. EST October 14, 2016

DALLAS - After perhaps the most damaging week of his campaign, Donald Trump’s lead in Texas has slipped to four percentage points – within the margin of error – according to a new poll released Thursday night.

The survey, commissioned by KHOU 11 News and other Texas TEGNA television stations, shows Trump leading Hillary Clinton by 47 percent to 43 percent. The margin of error is four percent.

KHOU 11 Political Analyst Bob Stein believes the Hispanic vote will be a huge factor in this election. Hispanics made up 15% of the people surveyed in this poll, up three percent from 2012.

The number of people with Hispanic last names that registered to vote in 2016 is at an all-time high, according to a KHOU analysis of Harris County voter rolls. In Harris County, about a quarter of voters, or just over 64,000, with 2016 effective dates have Hispanic last names. The county has added nearly 200,000 Hispanic voters since the 2012 presidential election.

Stein also says highly contested local races, including the battle over Harris County District Attorney and Harris County Sheriff, could drive more voters than usual to the polls, in addition to the presidential race.

The poll shows Trump leads by 6 points in East Texas, which includes the city of Houston, Harris and 59 surrounding counties.

SurveyUSA conducted the poll between Monday and Wednesday of this week – after both the 2005 video in which Trump used lewd comments describing women and the second presidential debate in St. Louis on Sunday night.

In recent weeks, two other statewide polls showed Trump up by six and seven points, respectively.

"It pretty consistently shows that Trump is struggling in Texas more than a Republican typically would,” Wilson added. “He's still highly likely to win the state in the end but we typically see double digit margins for Republican candidates and Trump seems unlikely to produce that.

For perspective, Mitt Romney won Texas by 16 points in 2012, John McCain won this state by 13 points in 2008, George W. Bush carried his home state by 23 points in 2004, and 22 points in 2000 when he was elected to his first term.

The eroding support in the largest Republican state in the country could suggest deeper problems for Trump nationwide, Wilson explained.

Regionally, Trump leads by eight points in North Texas, which includes Dallas and Fort Worth and 41 surrounding counties. In Houston and 59 surrounding counties making up east and southeast Texas, Trump leads Clinton by six points.

Trump has his strongest support in west Texas, including El Paso and 87 counties – leading his Democratic challenger by 15 points.

But Clinton is ahead in Austin, San Antonio and Central Texas. She also leads by nine points in the Rio Grande Valley.

Separately, the approval rating for U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz is evenly split; 45 percent approve of his job performance and 45 percent disapprove with 10 percent uncertain.

draft

"It suggests that he may be looking at a significant primary challenge a couple years from now and I know that's something he's got on his mind,” said Wilson.

Cruz, who faces re-election in 2018, refused to endorse Trump in a high-profile speech at the Republican National Convention but finally gave in after intense pressure from his own party.

Respondents in the survey also gave opinions on two social issues making headlines in this state over recent weeks.

When asked whether transgender students should be able to use the restroom with which the identify, 54 percent said no, 38 percent said yes, and eight percent were uncertain.

draft

"The other interesting thing that it points to is that you've got some number of people who are saying they oppose transgender students using the bathroom of their choice who are also saying they support Hillary Clinton because 54 percent of people are opposed to transgender bathroom access but you've only got 40 something percent supporting Donald Trump. Those people are almost certainly black and Latino voters who've got socially conservative values but who are attracted to the Democratic ticket for other reasons,” said Wilson.

When asked if refugees from places such as Syria should be allowed to resettle in Texas, 54 percent said no, 34 percent said yes and 13 percent were unsure.

draft

Fourty-four percent of those polled said it is "very important" for a candidate to release his or her tax returns. A majority of voters fell between "somewhat" and "not at all" important.

draft

The poll also asked voters about Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick’s job approval. Of the registered voters, 39 percent approve, 29 percent disapprove and 33 percent are uncertain.

draft

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton had similar results; of those polled, 38 percent approve of his job performance, 31 percent disapprove and 31 percent are not sure.

draft

Of the 800 adults interviewed over the three-day poll, 734 were registered to vote. Of the registered voters, 638 were determined by SurveyUSA to be likely to vote on or before November 8. This research was conducted using blended sample, mixed mode. Respondents reachable on their home telephone (67% of likely voters) were interviewed on their cell phones in the recorded voice of a professional announcer. Respondents not reachable on a home telephone (33% of likely voters) were shown a questionnaire on the display of their smartphone, tablet or other electronic device.

Click here for more details on poll results (PDF)

Methodology:

This poll was conducted by telephone in the voice of a professional announcer. Respondent households were selected at random, using Random Digit Dialed (RDD) sample provided by Survey Sampling, of Fairfield CT. All respondents heard the questions asked identically. The pollster's report includes the geography that was surveyed; the date(s) interviews were conducted, the number of respondents who answered each question and the theoretical margin of sampling error for each question. Where necessary, respondents were weighted using the most recent US Census estimates for age, gender, ethnic origin and region, to align the sample to the population. In theory, one can say with 95% certainty that the results would not vary by more than the stated margin of sampling error, in one direction or the other, had the entire universe of respondents with home telephones been interviewed with complete accuracy. There are other possible sources of error in all surveys that may be more serious than sampling error. These include: the difficulty of interviewing respondents who do not have a home telephone; the refusal by some with home telephones to be interviewed; the order in which questions are asked; the wording of questions; the way and extent to which data are weighted; and the manner in which specialized populations, such as likely voters, are determined. It is difficult to quantify the errors that may result from these and other factors. Research methodology, questionnaire design and fieldwork for this survey were completed by SurveyUSA of Clifton, NJ. This statement conforms to the principles of disclosure of the National Council on Public Polls.

Copyright 2016 WFAA
It'd be wonderful to see my home state go blue. But I'm not counting my chickens yet.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

So, Donnie Douchebag seems to think Hillary was on something during the last debate:
Raw Story wrote:Trump says there should be a drug test before the next debate
TOM BOGGIONI
15 OCT 2016 AT 13:07 ET

In a speech in New Hampshire, Saturday morning, GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump suggested that rival Hillary Clinton is using performance enhancing drugs and said drug tests should be administered before Wednesday’s debate in Las Vegas.

Pointing out that Clinton has not been on the campaign trail in preparation for the debate, Trump said she was getting “pumped up.”

“Athletes, they make them take a drug test, right. I think we should take a drug test prior to the debate,” Trump said.

“Why don’t we do that? We should take a drug test, prior, because I don’t know what’s going on with her, but at the beginning of her last debate, she was all pumped up at the beginning, and at the end it was like, ‘Oh, take me down,'” Trump shouted.

Watch the video below via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/statu ... 9043237888
I say bring it on, Sniffles. :twisted:
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

...what the hell kind of drug would enhance performance in a *debate*? Caffeine?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

Amphetamines. Arguably certain Russian nootropics.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Executor32 wrote:So, Donnie Douchebag seems to think Hillary was on something during the last debate:
Raw Story wrote:Trump says there should be a drug test before the next debate
TOM BOGGIONI
15 OCT 2016 AT 13:07 ET

In a speech in New Hampshire, Saturday morning, GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump suggested that rival Hillary Clinton is using performance enhancing drugs and said drug tests should be administered before Wednesday’s debate in Las Vegas.

Pointing out that Clinton has not been on the campaign trail in preparation for the debate, Trump said she was getting “pumped up.”

“Athletes, they make them take a drug test, right. I think we should take a drug test prior to the debate,” Trump said.

“Why don’t we do that? We should take a drug test, prior, because I don’t know what’s going on with her, but at the beginning of her last debate, she was all pumped up at the beginning, and at the end it was like, ‘Oh, take me down,'” Trump shouted.

Watch the video below via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/aletweetsnews/statu ... 9043237888
I say bring it on, Sniffles. :twisted:
Her performing enhancers are called neurons. Donnie Douchebag thinks she's cheating because all 3 of his go to feeding the alien parasite on his head.

Props for "Donnie Douchebag"! :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

So we're now the olympics?
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Trump is losing so bad he thinks Hillary must be using performance-enhancers to be winning debates so much!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Gaidin wrote:So we're now the olympics?
The Special Olympics without the talent.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
maraxus2
Padawan Learner

Post by maraxus2 »

Flagg wrote:

No. She's gonna blow Donnie Douchebag out of the water. There are papers all across the country who have never endorsed a Democrat, and some papers who rarely, if ever, endorse anyone for POTUS who are not just endorsing Clinton, but flat out encouraging readers not to vote Trump. I'll be shocked if the margin isn't in the double digits.
Let's not forget that Obama actually scored a pretty significant landslide, given today's environment. Given Bush's historic unpopularity, not to mention that the fucking economy collapsed, Obama's 2008 should be seen as a the high-tide mark for the contemporary Presidency. If someone like Trump were nominated in 2008, AND we were coming off of the Bush presidency, AND the economy collapsed, AND Obama were the nominee, I have no doubt that he would have won a 450EV victory.

That being said, lots of shitty candidates should expect to get about 40% of the vote. I'd be very surprised if Trump were any different.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Given how many times Trump has accused Clinton of something, only for it to be revealed that he is guilty of something similar but worse, I'm thinking that the thing Trump really doesn't want Clinton to do here is to accept the drug test on the condition that Trump also gets tested.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote:Given how many times Trump has accused Clinton of something, only for it to be revealed that he is guilty of something similar but worse, I'm thinking that the thing Trump really doesn't want Clinton to do here is to accept the drug test on the condition that Trump also gets tested.
Well, we could finally get an answer on Cokegate. :D