8.8 Earthquake hits Chile. Tsunami alert

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

CJvR
Sith Devotee

Re: 8.8 Earthquake hits Chile. Tsunami alert

Post by CJvR »

There have now been some 70 aftershocks almost all of them over 5.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Stormin wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:The waves in hawaii are coming in low and easy. Minimal damage if any.
That's good to hear. The waves are supposed to hit my town in 20+ minutes and I live at the end of a funnel that tends to make tsunamis worse. We dusted off our preparations during the Alaska quake so emergency personnel were probably prepared to deal with whatever came but its good to know it won't be needed.
Well, getting 15 hours of lead time didn't hurt either.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fuck. Even with all our retrogrades, I think we would be royally buttfucked by an 8.8 and SEVENTY aftershocks in the 5. range.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

If the tsunami waves were non-events that's all to the good - even if they didn't come ashore like on Boxing Day being on the waterline during some of it still could have resulted in tragedies, even if it wasn't knock-down-buildings strong.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

CaptainChewbacca wrote: Well, getting 15 hours of lead time didn't hurt either.

46 years actually. Since the 1964 wave my town has been prepared for anything short of "nobody could have expected it to be that bad..."

Nothing crazy, a few redesigns and building codes for the waterfront and low laying areas and a public alert system (big speaker towers everywhere). Also signs that show when you are entering and leaving the flood areas. I used to rent a place on the flood area and one piece of paper I got one year was a map showing the best routes from my neighborhood to higher ground.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

UnderAGreySky wrote:If you want to be scared, see the USGS page.

:shock:
Yeah... five quakes in the last HOUR, all 5.0-5.6 on the scale, on top of all the other aftershocks that have happened in the last 24hrs.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Our Tsunami warning has been downgraded to an advisory, although this was hours after some future Darwin Award recipients gathered at the beaches to see if they could see the tsunami. :roll:
:D
Justforfun000
Sith Devotee

Post by Justforfun000 »

Tsk tsk. These poor countries. It must be so devastating to have your own land fuck you over like this. I hope the wine industry wasn't hit too hard. I like Chilean wines. I suppose that's the least of their concerns right now however.... :?
You have to realize that most Christian "moral values" behaviour is not really about "protecting" anyone; it's about their desire to send a continual stream of messages of condemnation towards people whose existence offends them. - Darth Wong alias Mike Wong

"There is nothing wrong with being ignorant. However, there is something very wrong with not choosing to exchange ignorance for knowledge when the opportunity presents itself."
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

It's a reasonable comment, actually. They need all the exports they can get to fund reconstruction efforts.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

LadyTevar wrote:
UnderAGreySky wrote:If you want to be scared, see the USGS page.

:shock:
Yeah... five quakes in the last HOUR, all 5.0-5.6 on the scale, on top of all the other aftershocks that have happened in the last 24hrs.
126 aftershocks since the main quake, all of them around 5 or higher.
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Stuff News (Contains butts)

Sightseers and swimmers refuse to leave the beach
LATEST: People who flocked to the beach to try to catch a glimpse of an incoming tsunami could have been the "makers of their own demise", police say.

Yesterday's tsunami warning for New Zealand has been cancelled this morning by the Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management.

Police central communications shift manager Marty Parker said the public's response to yesterday's warning was largely good and most people were prepared.

However, police had to tell a few people to get out of the water, including some who were already aware of the tsunami alert but decided to take a dip anyway.

"They are the makers of their own demise if anything does go wrong," Mr Parker said.

Civil Defence Minister John Carter agreed the public's response was largely good, but criticised those who went to the coast for a better view.

"Unfortunately, we always get the odd person who doesn't appreciate the risk," he said.

"If you go down to the water, it might be the last thing you ever see."

Kenny Anderson was swimming at Lyall Bay about 10am and, despite having heard tsunami warnings, believed he was not in any immediate danger.

He was keeping an "eye on the sea" and had his car nearby in case the water started to recede.

Two Dogs coffee caravan owner Mike Duffy continued trading through the morning, but had been warned of the danger by police, Civil Defence and a helicopter flying overhead with a loudspeaker.

The beach was largely empty but those there were not concerned. "It's just a joke more than anything," he said.

Lyall Bay resident Jeremy Morrison, 32, was well set up to film the arriving tsunami. He erected his camera on a tripod in the children's play area on the beachfront at the bottom of Onepu Rd.

He said he intended heading for the hills if the water went out.

"I'm not going anywhere near the water," he said, despite being less than 100 metres from the water's edge.

Chris Mark, from the Maranui Surf Lifesaving Club, spent the morning calling parents to cancel the day's "little nipper" lifesaving programme.

He was at the beach telling those who did turn up to go home.

The tsunami warning also had little effect on Auckland's North Shore, with many people heading to the beach and to sea in their boats.

Two women having coffee on Milford Beach said they had a good vantage point and another woman about to head out on a walk to Takapuna Beach said she had her flippers.

Coastguard Northern Region duty officer John Cowan said the warnings should have been heeded.

At Whitianga a resident told said that a warning siren had gone off, but residents did not know what it was, so stayed put.

In Nelson Senior Sergeant Stu Koefoed said 15-20 officers were deployed at key points around the region advising people away from beaches and resources were stretched.

"I was really disappointed with some boaties who chose to ignore the warnings and launch their boats in the face of an escalating threat.

"This was foolhardy behaviour because it not only put them at risk but also could have further stretched emergency services if they had got into trouble."
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

My family's cruise liner had to move into open sea due to the warning, so nobody went down to Napier. Not missing out on much, right? :)
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Post by Edward Yee »

A slightly more amusing note: at one point, CNN was actually using a live feed of the tsunami warning situation at Hilo, Hawaii from UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn's website and even interviewing him about the situation.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Spyder
Sith Marauder

Post by Spyder »

Stark wrote:My family's cruise liner had to move into open sea due to the warning, so nobody went down to Napier. Not missing out on much, right? :)
Old people and Wine trails.
Bellator
Padawan Learner

Post by Bellator »

Edward Yee wrote:A slightly more amusing note: at one point, CNN was actually using a live feed of the tsunami warning situation at Hilo, Hawaii from UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn's website and even interviewing him about the situation.
He saved Hawaii from the Tsumani.

BJ Penn by Armbar
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

For some of the live feed from one of the Hawaiian stations (KHON), the traffic cameras near the beach had been turned to face the water. One of the anchorpersons spotted someone walking alone, along the nearly-deserted beach and he said on the air (I'm partly paraphrasing), "I wish I could go yell at that guy to get off the beach. He either doesn't have a radio, a TV or common sense."

Anyway, this story about building codes in Chile is interesting:
Chile quake toll limited by good planning

Scientists and engineers say stringent building codes helped

By Jonathan Franklin and R. Jeffrey Smith

The Washington Post

updated 8:32 a.m. ET, Mon., March. 1, 2010

SANTIAGO, Chile - After experiencing one of the most powerful earthquakes to strike the earth in more than a century, Chileans accelerated their rescue, aid and security efforts in damaged regions Sunday but also took pride in the comparatively low death toll, a result widely attributed to the country's meticulous planning and preparation.

The Chilean government dispatched troops to keep order in the hard-hit city of Concepcion, and President Michelle Bachelet opened the door to international aid a day after saying that "we generally do not ask for help." Her remarks came after a lengthy meeting with advisers convinced her, she said, that the country faces "a catastrophe of such unthinkable magnitude that it will require a giant effort to recover." Experts said repairs will take years and will probably cost tens of billions of dollars.

While the death toll rose steadily to more than 700, according to a midday estimate, it remained a small fraction of the tally from a far less powerful earthquake last month in Haiti that claimed at least 220,000 lives. That temblor was more shallow and much closer to a large population center, the Haitian capital, Port-au-Prince. But the deaths there were mostly because of widespread building collapses, which Chilean cities did not experience.

Earthquake scientists, building engineers and political scientists in Chile and the United States agreed that even though half a million homes were heavily damaged during more than 120 seconds of shaking, the fact that so many Chileans survived was a testament to the nation's enactment and enforcement of stringent building codes.

"We would have expected that an 8.8 earthquake would have done a lot more damage," said Paul Caruso, a geophysicist with the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo. "The people in Chile have experience with earthquakes that saved hundreds if not thousands of lives."

'It's in their mind'

The earthquake, centered 200 miles southwest of the capital, was one of at least a dozen in Chile since 1973 that were larger than magnitude 7. The quakes release stresses between two tectonic plates that are moving past each other at a rate roughly one-third faster than the plates that define the San Andreas fault in California, according to Jonathan Bray, a professor of geotechnical engineering at the University of California at Berkeley.

"Unlike in Haiti, people think about earthquakes all the time in Chile. It's in their mind," said Michael Shifter, vice president for policy at the Inter-American Dialogue think tank in Washington. "This is a country that can mobilize resources and meet these national challenges."

Chile has relatively low levels of corruption, making enforcement of building codes more credible than in other Latin American countries; its rank on Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index is 25, just six spots below the United States, while Haiti's is 168.

Several U.S. disaster relief experts cautioned, however, that the Chilean government should be careful not to become overconfident. While Bachelet said at her news conference Sunday that the country needed field hospitals, water-purification plants, temporary bridges and experts in damage assessment, her plea was not immediately conveyed through official channels to Washington or the International Red Cross.

"We have resources that are positioned to deploy, should the Chilean government ask for our help," President Obama said after speaking with Bachelet on Saturday. But Virginia Staab, the State Department's spokeswoman for Western Hemisphere affairs, said late Sunday that while the United States has placed some search-and-rescue teams, field hospitals and medics on alert, "there have been no official requests right now." The only U.S. aid provided so far, she said, was small amounts of water and food, as well as satellite communications and imagery of areas that have not yet been reached by rescue personnel.

Speaking of Bachelet's statement, Staab said, "If she is looking for all of those [items] from us, we will likely provide them." She added that Washington was hoping for some "clarity" by Monday morning on Chile's request.

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has long planned to spend this week in Latin America, will arrive in Santiago on Tuesday morning, officials said. Once there, she intends to reiterate the administration's willingness to assist.

The Red Cross released a statement Sunday calling the earthquake the worst disaster to hit Chile in 50 years — another major temblor occurred in 1960 — and said that six of Chile's 15 geographic zones received catastrophic damage. So far, the American and international chapters of the Red Cross have released several hundred thousand dollars to their Chilean affiliate to fund search-and-rescue and first-aid efforts.

But Tracy Reines, director of the American Red Cross's international response center, said that "we're standing by, waiting" for a government request for more substantial aid. She noted that "you certainly want to get assistance quickly, but it does not have to be international assistance. . . . It can come from within Chile."

Julia E. Sweig, director for Latin America studies at the Council on Foreign Relations, said Chile will probably accomplish a lot on its own. "The Haiti and Chilean experiences dramatize the enormous differences between what we sloppily think of as one region. In Chile, you have an investment over decades in creating functioning institutions with a reliable tax base that produces a revenue stream with accountability of elected leaders. You have a functioning state and solid governance" that will make its response significantly better, Sweig said.

Police said more than 100 people died in Concepcion, one of the country's largest cities, about 70 miles from the epicenter. Dozens of people were trapped inside a 14-story building that toppled, and at least 20 bodies were removed as teams of firefighters crawled through the wreckage, searching for signs of life. The Associated Press reported that 16 people had been pulled out alive. The city's university caught fire as gas and power lines snapped. Many streets were littered with rubble.

As food, water and gasoline become scarce in Concepcion, looting erupted. Police using tear gas initially attempted to stop the looters. A battle developed inside a supermarket and ended only when police allowed local residents to form long lines and remove essential items for free. Jacqueline van Rysselberghe, the mayor of Concepcion, said, "We are going to have social explosion if aid is not received today."

The Chilean air force sent a 747 filled with police officers to the region in an attempt to regain control. Military roadblocks were set up outside some cities to keep outsiders from joining the looting. Francisco Vidal, the Chilean minister of defense, announced a curfew and said 10,000 troops will be sent to the areas most affected by the earthquake.

At sunrise on Sunday, those who attempted to reenter their damaged homes to retrieve goods and food were forced to evacuate again when a powerful 6.3-magnitude aftershock hit, further complicating rescue efforts. But by midday, emergency workers from the capital had fanned out to a 375-mile stretch of coastline where the majority of the residents have no access to food, water or electricity. Communication with even larger cities was sporadic, while many minor outlying villages and smaller cities had not been reached by day's end.

"Our biggest problem is in the Juan Fernandez region [the Robinson Crusoe Islands]," said Ivan de la Maza, regional governor of the hard-hit Valparaiso region. Multiple ocean swells estimated at 30 feet — 10 times as high as the relatively mild tsunami waves that reached Hawaii — demolished the islands' coastal villages, 415 miles west of the mainland.

Residents there did not feel the earthquake, and most of them were asleep when huge ocean swells flooded the town at 6 a.m. Saturday. When rescue crews arrived Sunday, they found that the tsunami had churned houses and boats into mountains of debris before pulling them back into the Pacific. Aerial photos reveal streets that have been wiped off the map. The islands are home to an estimated 600 permanent residents, with 200 tourists believed to be visiting, many at waterside bed-and-breakfasts.

With most homes built of wood and lightly balanced on foundations, the structures first floated inland, then were smashed by subsequent swells described by the local mayor as "a train" of 10-foot-high waves.

In Santiago, thousands of families dragged their mattresses outside to sleep on the streets, fearing aftershocks.

"No one brings us anything. We are stuck here," said Daniel Garcia, 28, a Peruvian immigrant who spent the night in the Barrio Brazil neighborhood, sleeping on the street with his family. The family dragged mattresses down two flights of stairs, piled a television atop a stack of rubble and used wreckage to build a makeshift shelter.

Smith reported from Washington. Franklin, a special correspondent, reported from Santiago.
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

Shows the difference proper building codes does. Haiti released only a few % of the energy the Chile quake did - not counting the 150+ aftershocks some almost as powerful as the Haiti main quake.