BREAKING NEWS ONLY

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Warspite
Jedi Council Member

Post by Warspite »

MKSheppard wrote:
Warspite wrote:Shep, INLINE THE GODDAMN PICTURE!
I've been trying to do that the last 3 minuites!

The goddamn board is fucking falling from a great height, and lord
MJ needs to be fired by wong.
OK, no sweat man...
[img=left]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... iggado.jpg[/img] "You know, it's odd; practically everything that's happened on any of the inhabited planets has happened on Terra before the first spaceship." -- Space Viking
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,3 ... 94,00.html

Artillery bombardment launched on Iraqi frontlines.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Baghdad now under attack, AA shells going off in air
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Oh shit, they are lighting up Bahgdad.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible RUMINT

Post by Enlightenment »

MKSheppard wrote:CURRENT RUMINT
Since the advent of the 117 some scientists, admittedly on the fringe, have said that they had found a weakness in the stealth fighter. This Achilles heel is exploited by synchronizing emitter and reciever radar stations in an effort to pick up the return that is scattered by the Stealth. The level of sophistication needed to pull this synchronization off is held by only a few countries and China is one of them.
Anti-stealth measures aren't fringe science. It's hard engineering to build working and useful devices but the science is well understood.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/inter ... -IRAQ.html

<snip>
The first reported combat engagement of the United States war with Iraq occurred at 3:57 p.m. local time today, when a patrol of light armored vehicles from the Marine First Division encountered two Iraqi armored personnel carriers south of the border with Iraq.

The armored vehicles, called LAV-25's, engaged and destroyed the armored personnel carriers using 25-millimeter chain guns, a type of machine gun, and TOW guided missiles.
</snip>
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

MKSheppard wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/inter ... -IRAQ.html

<snip>
The first reported combat engagement of the United States war with Iraq occurred at 3:57 p.m. local time today, when a patrol of light armored vehicles from the Marine First Division encountered two Iraqi armored personnel carriers south of the border with Iraq.

The armored vehicles, called LAV-25's, engaged and destroyed the armored personnel carriers using 25-millimeter chain guns, a type of machine gun, and TOW guided missiles.
</snip>

EEERRRR, go Marines. First in, last to know.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

British Troops have begun attacking, and a joint US-UK thrust will
be tonight...

The queen has sent the following message to all the Brits deployeD:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page2179.asp
At this difficult moment in our nation's history, I would like to express my pride in you, the British service and civilian personnel deployed in the Gulf and in the vital supporting roles in this country and further afield.

I have every confidence in your professionalism and commitment as you face the challenges before you. Especially for those of you now waiting to go into action, may your mission be swift and decisive, your courage steady and true, and your conduct in the highest traditions of your service both in waging war and bringing peace.

My thoughts are with you all, and with your families and friends who wait at home for news and pray for your safe return.

ELIZABETH R.

MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Iraqis were layiing a mine field when Marines approached.

The Iraqis surrendered to Marines.

MKSheppard

We've grabbed a city in Iraq

Post by MKSheppard »

Their only major deepwater port :twisted:

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

* Dances like a maniac *

My ship was the first to fight, my ship was the first to fight...

One of my buddies on the Bunker Hill had his digital Camera out during the Tomahwak launch last night. I'll try to put some of the images on later.

(yes, e-mail is apperantly still up for USN sailors)
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

We just grabbed a very NICE strategic target:

Iraq spent billions of dollars upgrading Umm Qasr's ports, building
factories and petrochemical plants and dredging channels to enable
large tankers to dock.

Heh Heh Heh :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Enlightenment wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:CURRENT RUMINT
Since the advent of the 117 some scientists, admittedly on the fringe, have said that they had found a weakness in the stealth fighter. This Achilles heel is exploited by synchronizing emitter and reciever radar stations in an effort to pick up the return that is scattered by the Stealth. The level of sophistication needed to pull this synchronization off is held by only a few countries and China is one of them.
Anti-stealth measures aren't fringe science. It's hard engineering to build working and useful devices but the science is well understood.
The "cell phone array" requires rather immense amounts of computing power to sort the signal from the noise, though. I'm also not quite sure if it's accurate enough to guide AAA or SAMs up. (Similar accuracy caveats go for bistatic radars - IIRC, the one downed in the Balkans took an entire battery of SA-6s)
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

http://www.irna.com/en/head/030320112207.ehe.shtml

Saddam's son got the snot beaten out of him by a 'Fedayeen' whatever the hell one of those is...
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

phongn wrote:The "cell phone array" requires rather immense amounts of computing power to sort the signal from the noise, though. I'm also not quite sure if it's accurate enough to guide AAA or SAMs up. (Similar accuracy caveats go for bistatic radars - IIRC, the one downed in the Balkans took an entire battery of SA-6s)
Right. It's an engineering problem rather than an issue of 'fringe science.'
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Kelly Antilles
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kelly Antilles »

Hey Shep... either take the SS image out of your sig or put some damn space between your comments and your sig. It's hard to find what you're saying since it's been only a line or two half the time.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Poison found on a French railway,in Paris (Ricin). Five vials of poison found in a locker. Interesting...
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

Blair's speech was pretty ho-hum. He played the support our troops card, the WMD card and then freeing the Iraqi people card. Then he did the fighting the regime not the country's people thing before rounding off with a comment about Israel and Palestine being key to peace in the middle east.

There was also the Al-Quaeda attacked America not vice versa and the best way to deal with future threats is to deal with current threats with resolve parts.

Nothing new really but the Israel/Palestine thing could turn out to be interesting,
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

The latest indications are that shock and awe may never happen - because it won't be needed. It's entirely possible the senior military and some top Republican Guard officers of Iraq will bring this conflict to a close quite soon. If not, we'll probably see the main assault tommorow as opposed to later tonight (Or early this morning Iraqi time).
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

First U.S. casualties. 16 dead. Helicopter crash.

There may have been some U.K. victims as well, but i'm not sure.

:cry:

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Correction. 12 U.S. Marines dead, 4 U.K. Marines dead.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Washington Post as reported by CNN:
CIA says Saddam was still in the bunker they shot 40 missiles at last night
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Durran Korr wrote:Correction. 12 U.S. Marines dead, 4 U.K. Marines dead.
I thought it was 12 UK marines and 4 US marines.

But it's sad news either way. :cry:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Last edited by fgalkin on 2003-03-20 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

A moment of silence for the 16 men who died at the helicopter crash earlier today.

Thank you.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

fgalkin wrote:
Durran Korr wrote:Correction. 12 U.S. Marines dead, 4 U.K. Marines dead.
I thought it was 12 UK marines and 4 US marines.

But it's sad news either way. :cry:

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
The reports I've seen (including one from one of my own reporters) state that it is, in fact, 12 British commandoes and 4 American aviators. :cry:
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."