Notorious Reddit Troll exposed

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Re: Notorious Reddit Troll exposed

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Straying back to the actual topic rather than justifications for harrassment of girls, how is this guy a 'troll'? Wasn't his behaviour accepted by Redditt? Wasn't he just doing what people did in that community?
Given what I've seen of Reddit here, it is nothing but 4chan that hasn't gone off-Net and lost all legitimacy. Even worse than chan, in a way, because you know to loathe a /b/tard on sight, but not a Reddit user.
Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Stark wrote:Is everyone who uses the word 'meme' an idiot?

Straying back to the actual topic rather than justifications for harrassment of girls, how is this guy a 'troll'? Wasn't his behaviour accepted by Redditt? Wasn't he just doing what people did in that community?
Pray tell, who is justifying the harassment of girls?
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Losonti Tokash wrote: Edit: Let's not forget, reddit's official response to the article was to ban links to Gawker, and how the most popular response to a question in their mod forum on how to deal with the issue was "ban everyone that points out misogyny, racism, and pedophilia on our boards, also it's a secret plot by Something Awful."
Interestingly enough, Something Awful has become quite active in trying to get the jailbait and related reddits shut down. This happens to be a good thing, not a secret ploy to take out a rival or anything, but the Reddit admins are right that we've been at least partly behind the sudden media attention.
Stark wrote:Is everyone who uses the word 'meme' an idiot?

Acrez has a history of trying to claim anything he gets flak for is just him 'trolling', rather than being a wretched excuse for a human being.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

Yeah, there's no love lost between SA and some of the Reddit subforums. I looked at the MRA subreddit and there was some frantic "Are we next????Bah!" with some dislike of SA mixed in.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Oh, so he's like the guys we see elsewhere who try to be as extreme as possible and then step back when they cross a line by saying he was 'joking, obviously'?

Or just that the whole 'take pictures of young girls' is trolling in general? Hacking photobucket etc ??
ArmorPierce
Rabid Monkey
Location: Born and raised in Brooklyn, unfornately presently in Jersey

Post by ArmorPierce »

Wait...I don't get it... are some of you people saying its immoral to find a 17 year old girl sexually attractive?

And no, pedophilia is pre-pubescent so a 16 or 17 year old girl would not fall under it. In fact, a developed 12 year old wouldn't neither but that would depend on the individual rather than the set age.
Brotherhood of the Monkey @( !.! )@
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift. ~Steve Prefontaine
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Are you sure you read the OP? The issue is individuals (and arguably a culture) and the activities it facilitates or encourages. People wasting time quibbling over definitions of whatever in their country is basically irrelevant.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Stark wrote:Are you sure you read the OP? The issue is individuals (and arguably a culture) and the activities it facilitates or encourages. People wasting time quibbling over definitions of whatever in their country is basically irrelevant.
Well it seems that a culture where it is both acceptable for teens to be sexualized or sexually active yet also where as soon as one crosses the 18 barrier you get people saying they find it "disgusting as a 19 year old to find a 17 year old attractive" would cause all sorts of problems across the board. (and then conversely if one were 25 and your cheesecake photos you posted on FB or whatever end up spreading, too bad so sad, if I recall the other SDN thread about your online history correctly).
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Is that some kind of strawman? Are you saying pictures on FB are the same as pictures stolen from girls identified from 'creepshots'? Does this have anything to do with tying a sideline issue like 'lol legal here' to the behaviour of this person and/or this community?

Its funny to me that calling someone fat is a 'both people are bad' thing, but jacking off over pictures of teenage girls your buddies stole from photobuckets is more a 'not illegal' thing.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Stark wrote:Is that some kind of strawman? Are you saying pictures on FB are the same as pictures stolen from girls identified from 'creepshots'? Does this have anything to do with tying a sideline issue like 'lol legal here' to the behaviour of this person and/or this community?

Its funny to me that calling someone fat is a 'both people are bad' thing, but jacking off over pictures of teenage girls your buddies stole from photobuckets is more a 'not illegal' thing.
Well, I'm not saying the guy didn't deserve everything that he got, but I'm curious why jacking off over pics of >18 girls stolen from photobuckets is more a "nothing to say here" thing.

To put it into perspective at the moment over here in SEA there's a big hoohaa over some 24/23 year old couple's blog where they host explicit pictures of themselves, while I would assume in the West no one would care.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Dr. Trainwreck wrote:Given what I've seen of Reddit here, it is nothing but 4chan that hasn't gone off-Net and lost all legitimacy. Even worse than chan, in a way, because you know to loathe a /b/tard on sight, but not a Reddit user.

Reddit actually isn't a bad place overall. I enjoy it a great deal.

However, as with any large community, there is a great vocal minority of assholes.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Skgoa
Jedi Master

Post by Skgoa »

Losonti Tokash wrote:Sure, the reddit admins were complicit for years in the sexualization of children, supported by a huge chunk of their userbase, but now they're really sorry and it was all just a bunch of bad apples. We're also talking about a website where r/Feminism is run by literally the same people that run f/MRA and r/Masculism after they managed to get all the women kicked out, where one of reddit's admins just said women shouldn't post in r/Gaming because it's so toxic and hostile to women, but god forbid we use some of the most popular and active communities on reddit and their behavior to make some kind of inference on the their members. :lol:

Edit: Let's not forget, reddit's official response to the article was to ban links to Gawker, and how the most popular response to a question in their mod forum on how to deal with the issue was "ban everyone that points out misogyny, racism, and pedophilia on our boards, also it's a secret plot by Something Awful."
I have now read two very idiotic posts from you. Clearly, everything you post is idiotic, as I have just scientifically proven. :roll:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.74

This is pre-WWII. You can sort of tell from the sketch style, from thee way it refers to Japan (Japan in the 1950s was still rebuilding from WWII), the spelling of Tokyo, lots of details. Nothing obvious... except that the upper right hand corner of the page reads "November 1931." --- Simon_Jester
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

Skgoa wrote:Reddit has introduced a new rule banning all pictures of minors. I don't remember of the top of my head whether that was limited to pictures that are sexual in nature. A huge number of subreddits have been banned (yes, even those that are perfectly legal even in the US), although that was a development that had started a couple of weeks ago IIRC. Both the admins and the majority of redditors seem to be pretty clear in their anti-pedo stance.
The reddit admins instituted that policy around eight months ago due the SA redditbomb causing them all sorts of problems. They've been very lazy about enforcing it in many instances.
http://www.reddit.com/r/blog/comments/p ... in_policy/
It should also be noted that anyone can be a "reddit moderator" by opening their own subreddit. Nobody would even have to know about its existence, if its not being promoted somehow.
No fucking shit, but Violentacrez was the moderator of a large number of high-traffic subreddits and was a close friend of the admins. He was highly thought of by large segments of reddit, despite being a massive vile creep. They supported him.

Also they're just generally disgusting:
But do go on making broad generalizations about thousands of people. :roll:
Nobody is saying that all of reddit is full of pedophiles and misogynists, but they do make up a very large and visible portion of reddit's userbase because reddit has acted as a haven for them, and that's fucking disgusting. There's good content and people on reddit, obviously... and nobody here was attacking them. Although they probably should move away from a site that's getting a progressively worse reputation for a very good reason.
Skgoa wrote:I have now read two very idiotic posts from you. Clearly, everything you post is idiotic, as I have just scientifically proven. :roll:
That sound is the point sailing over your head.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Scrib
Jedi Knight

Post by Scrib »

AniThyng wrote:
Stark wrote:Is that some kind of strawman? Are you saying pictures on FB are the same as pictures stolen from girls identified from 'creepshots'? Does this have anything to do with tying a sideline issue like 'lol legal here' to the behaviour of this person and/or this community?

Well, I'm not saying the guy didn't deserve everything that he got, but I'm curious why jacking off over pics of >18 girls stolen from photobuckets is more a "nothing to say here" thing.

To put it into perspective at the moment over here in SEA there's a big hoohaa over some 24/23 year old couple's blog where they host explicit pictures of themselves, while I would assume in the West no one would care.
Legal reality informing morality. Those people are minors so you can't really have pics of them up. The method of taking the pic also matters. Also they deliberately say that they're flaunting the law I guess? As opposed to sites where people just dump the pics of everyone they know on Facebook.

I don't think that most blogs with pictures of hot young girls say: "LOOK HERE HOT LEGAL TEENAGERS!" so people find it easier to ignore.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Stark wrote:Oh, so he's like the guys we see elsewhere who try to be as extreme as possible and then step back when they cross a line by saying he was 'joking, obviously'?
Like yourself?
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Okay first 'lol' and 'do you have a point to make'. Second, it's a very common Internet behaviour (SDN has many posters famous for it). Do you have a point or have your masters only given you that one line? :lol:
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Great post, Seraph. I didn't know the rule was that old, just showing reddit's administration is even more lazy/complicit that I thought. They also posted in the secret mod forum that they only closed Creepshots due to massive public pressure but they won't take any action against the copycat subreddits.

Sidewinder: are you a literal child
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Not all Catholic priests are pedophiles. In fact, only a very small minority are. However, we still blame the institution for their complicity in allowing that minority to act on their desires.

Obviously, this is a bit of a mixed metaphor. All the same, getting upset at people associating Reddit for a minority of its users when its administrators/moderators/whatever gave tacit endorsement of their behavior is the same as getting upset when South Park makes a joke about Catholic priests being pedophiles because technically not all of them are.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Mind you I felt uncomfortable sharing pics from my niece's nature trip to the islands off the coast with her friends because in addition to her pictures of wildlife, plants, and extreme closeups of arachnids, there's her and her friends dressed for summer hiking. (tees and shorts,) and the thoughts of what someone like channers or reddit folks would do with that publicly available pics.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Like I've said I'm not interested in the justification or not for the legality or not of the activities of this guy or his community. I'm interested in what those activities where and what his role was; whether he was guided by culture or he guided the culture, how acceptabel this stuff was, etc.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Spekio wrote:
PeZook wrote:
Scrib wrote: Yeah, let's not bullshit ourselves here, this is a legal reality manifesting as a moral decision. When I see people saying it about 17 y/o I can't help but think that that's in play.
I don't know. I see lots of 17 year olds who are hot by any standard, but from a perspective of a thirty year old guy, there's something about their behavior, way of talking etc that makes them look like children to me, and thus not sexually attractive at all.
Yeah, no. Legal reality manifesting as a moral decision. Plus, there is the continuous misuse of the word paedophile. Age of consent in here is 14, and we struggle with sexual turism, especially from europe. Not even pedos, but people who like teens.

The 18 year old thing in the most part of the US, IMHO, seems related to the religious situation there.
This misuse really pisses me off, your earlier post echoes what I've been saying for years. Fuck knows how many people who have ephebophilia have been labelled as paedophiles. The whole scandal with Jimmy Saville is a perfect example, every allegation I've heard about is in relation to girls in their teens, but that doesn't make him a paedophile. What it did make him however, given he forced himself on these girls, is a rapist.
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Stark wrote:Like I've said I'm not interested in the justification or not for the legality or not of the activities of this guy or his community. I'm interested in what those activities where and what his role was; whether he was guided by culture or he guided the culture, how acceptabel this stuff was, etc.
He was definitely the one who guided things quite a bit.

Subreddits he started or ran at some point include:

/r/Chokeabitch
/r/Niggerjailbait
/r/Rapebait
/r/Hitler
/r/Jewmerica
/r/Misogyny
/r/Incest

And let's not forget /r/Jailbait and /r/picsofdeadkids

Reading this comments thread is pretty telling:
http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comme ... ?context=1

That's a lot of people voicing support for "we should be able to post whatever we want, even sexualised pictures of children, because FREE SPEECH".

Fuck reddit.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

That attitude is interesting because I've seen similar ideas expressed here. But I don't know anything about Redditt so I'm curious how significant some of these things are. Like if he makes a redditt about raping women and people contribute and have a jolly time about the ole raping women lark, what does this mean? What does this say about him, the community, people in general etc?
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

I... I think it says that they're terrible?

Is this a trick question? Or am I interpreting it incorrectly?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Well, I'm asking where ti comes from and where it goes, because I don't know anything about how Redditt is structured or works. My understanding is that anyone can make a subredditt for anything, so its arguable that the people who use them are more responsible than the person who created them, right?