Shots fired at Trump

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: Shots fired at Trump

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Ralin wrote: 2024-07-15 12:23pm
Zwinmar wrote: 2024-07-15 08:52am Watched the video and honestly, it looks like a WWF event, i.e. fake as shit/staged. The people behind him are not reacting like shots are being fired.
Who says they realized shots had been fired? Or that random people at a Trump rally will react the way you think you would to that happening?
Most of them wouldn't recognise that guns don't sound like they do in the movies, especially at a distance.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

This is the case in almost every mass shooting: People think it's firecrackers because guns go "BANG!" in movies, not "pop".
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

And I bet Putin was rubbing his hands with glee when he heard the news that the shooter fucked up.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-15 01:01am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-07-14 10:54pm
Darth Yan wrote: 2024-07-14 08:21am He donated to Act Blue when he was 17, but seemed to be a registered Republican at the time of his death. If his motives were conservative in nature that might hopefully defuse the inevitable conspiracy theories against the Dems.
Different Thomas Crooks. That turns out to have been a registered Democrat in Pittsburgh who's 69 years old and just happens to have the same name.
Could you post a source for that ?

I'm predicting that people will keep pointing to the donation to claim the shooter was really a democrat. So it will probably be helpful to be able to refute that.
Yeah, here's the donation record and person lookup. The shooter didn't live in Pittsburgh, so it's got to be the other guy.

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-07-15 11:38pm
Yeah, here's the donation record and person lookup. The shooter didn't live in Pittsburgh, so it's got to be the other guy.
Did you do anything to verify the authenticity of those screenshots ?

Because Snopes says that the shooter did make that donation, while linking to their sources. Including pointing out that Bethel Park is a Pittsburgh suburb.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

For the record, I like presidential candidates who don't get shot at by members of their own party.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-16 03:17am
Rogue 9 wrote: 2024-07-15 11:38pm
Did you do anything to verify the authenticity of those screenshots ?

Because Snopes says that the shooter did make that donation, while linking to their sources. Including pointing out that Bethel Park is a Pittsburgh suburb.
That just proves there are two people with that name in the Pittsburgh area, and one of them made a donation to the Democrats.

Also, even if it was the shooter, that was what, 3 years ago? Alot can happen to someone in three years to make them go from 'my 15$ helped get people out to vote!' to 'I'm gonna blow away a former POTUS so he doesn't get reelected"
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Solauren wrote: 2024-07-17 12:50pm That just proves there are two people with that name in the Pittsburgh area, and one of them made a donation to the Democrats.

Also, even if it was the shooter, that was what, 3 years ago? Alot can happen to someone in three years to make them go from 'my 15$ helped get people out to vote!' to 'I'm gonna blow away a former POTUS so he doesn't get reelected"
It's not just a matching name.
However, when looking at the FEC filing for the donation, nearly every field was an exact match to the other Thomas Crooks — Trump's would-be assassin. In particular, that Thomas Crooks lived in Bethel Park, a Pittsburgh suburb. Authorities confirmed that the shooter was from Bethel Park, and voter registration records, among other things, provide his specific address.

The full address associated with the donation appears within a February 2021 FEC document (page 189,746) listing all of Act Blue's donations during the previous month. That street address and ZIP code match the home of the shooter, according to a public records search and photos of police searching the home.
That sounds pretty conclusive. The shooter did make that donation.

All it proves is that the claims that he didn't donate are incorrect and should not be repeated.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elfdart wrote: 2024-07-15 04:07pm This is the case in almost every mass shooting: People think it's firecrackers because guns go "BANG!" in movies, not "pop".
With the odd exception :mrgreen:
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Honestly, what I'm taking away from all the speculation about the shooter's political affiliation is that both your parties would benefit from some degree of control over their membership rolls.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Elfdart wrote: 2024-07-17 06:15am For the record, I like presidential candidates who don't get shot at by members of their own party.
I would say to people who want to assassinate trump to "stand back and stand by. So go home, we love you, you're very special.

Note for mods, that is a reference to things previously said by trump about right wing terrorists.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I'd say :the more the merrier because the world is better of without Trump than with him, but is it better than a world were Trump was assasinated and replaced by someone just as deranged and evil and actually COMPETENT?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Batman wrote: 2024-07-17 07:10pm I'd say :the more the merrier because the world is better of without Trump than with him, but is it better than a world were Trump was assasinated and replaced by someone just as deranged and evil and actually COMPETENT?
Is there anyone in the Republican Party who is all three though? I did wonder who might have replaced him had the shooter's aim been better, and if said shooter had a note saying "You're welcome, America" somewhere on his body.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

GHETTO EDIT: I thought one of the main problems with Trump as president was that he was completely incompetent, with that in mind wouldn't a more competent Republican actually not be an improvement?
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-17 11:35pm GHETTO EDIT: I thought one of the main problems with Trump as president was that he was completely incompetent, with that in mind wouldn't a more competent Republican actually not be an improvement?
Depends on if we're talking about more competent at running the country, or more competent at suckering the rubes into making him emperor for life, lining his own pockets and getting away with it, etc.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Raw Shark wrote: 2024-07-18 09:40am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-17 11:35pm GHETTO EDIT: I thought one of the main problems with Trump as president was that he was completely incompetent, with that in mind wouldn't a more competent Republican actually not be an improvement?
Depends on if we're talking about more competent at running the country, or more competent at suckering the rubes into making him emperor for life, lining his own pockets and getting away with it, etc.
Well he's already very competent at the second thing, by emulating his buddy Putin. Which is why I worry as much for Ukraine as I do for the USA if Trump gets a second term, because he's going to cut off all military aid to Ukraine if he does.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Dominus Atheos wrote: 2024-07-17 06:15pm
Elfdart wrote: 2024-07-17 06:15am For the record, I like presidential candidates who don't get shot at by members of their own party.
I would say to people who want to assassinate trump to "stand back and stand by. So go home, we love you, you're very special.

Note for mods, that is a reference to things previously said by trump about right wing terrorists.
Don't forget my shoes!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

The answer to why the little creep was able to get into a fairly obvious sniper's position without the Secret Service being there first is that most assassination attempts against public figures in the last 60 years have been done up close with a pistol, not at mid-long range with a rifle -for example:

Robert Kennedy
George Wallace
Gerald Ford (twice)
John Lennon
Ronald Reagan
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-14 02:47pm Also, he managed to hit Trump's ear. So I have to wonder how this will affect Trump's future rallies.
Trump got clipped on his ear rather than having his head exploded only because he just happened to turn at a critical moment.

Regrettably, the shooter did manage to kill another man and severely injure two more.
Zwinmar wrote: 2024-07-15 08:52am Watched the video and honestly, it looks like a WWF event, i.e. fake as shit/staged. The people behind him are not reacting like shots are being fired.
How do you expect people to react?

When something unexpected happens it is not at all unusual for there to be a moment of freezing up before a person reacts. Also, with people standing in bleachers like that there aren’t a whole lot of places for them to go/duck/get under or behind cover.
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-15 01:29pm Most of them wouldn't recognise that guns don't sound like they do in the movies, especially at a distance.
Hard to say – quite a few people do have actual experience with guns, and I’d expect a Trump Rally to have a high percentage of such people. On the other hand, none of those people would be expecting a shooting to occur at such an event. Again, it’s entirely normal for the human brain to take a few seconds to process what, exactly, is going on and then take action.
Elfdart wrote: 2024-07-19 10:55pm The answer to why the little creep was able to get into a fairly obvious sniper's position without the Secret Service being there first is that most assassination attempts against public figures in the last 60 years have been done up close with a pistol, not at mid-long range with a rifle -for example:

Robert Kennedy
George Wallace
Gerald Ford (twice)
John Lennon
Ronald Reagan
And that’s not even a complete list of American targets.

Yep, the Secret Service dropped the ball here.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

He also thanked God for his survival :banghead: What sort of God would decide America/the world was better off with him in it? :wanker:

Had Crooks not missed the target he'd have died as The Man Who Killed Donald Trump and been hailed as a hero in certain quarters :angelic:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Elfdart wrote: 2024-07-19 10:55pm The answer to why the little creep was able to get into a fairly obvious sniper's position without the Secret Service being there first is that most assassination attempts against public figures in the last 60 years have been done up close with a pistol, not at mid-long range with a rifle -for example:

Robert Kennedy
George Wallace
Gerald Ford (twice)
John Lennon
Ronald Reagan
Apparently that particular roof was too dangerous to position agents on, questions are being asked of the secret service as a result.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I had read the local PD covering that area "didn't have the resources to station an officer in a car at that building".

Secret Service is going to make it a local PD error, local PD is going to pass the buck back, GOP House is going to try to fund a Presidential Army for their candidate-Emperor.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-20 12:39pm He also thanked God for his survival :banghead: What sort of God would decide America/the world was better off with him in it? :wanker:
The family of the innocent bystander that God deflected the bullet to would be happy to hear that.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

wautd wrote: 2024-07-23 02:24am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-20 12:39pm He also thanked God for his survival :banghead: What sort of God would decide America/the world was better off with him in it? :wanker:
The family of the innocent bystander that God deflected the bullet to would be happy to hear that.
To be fair, they very likely would be honored
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Ralin wrote: 2024-07-23 02:54am
wautd wrote: 2024-07-23 02:24am
To be fair, they very likely would be honored
Funny how they never say it was Satan who saved Trump