Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Uk Referendum on The EU Announced for 23rd June.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Could N.I / Scotland get out of the UK fast enough to not leave the EU? Who would they have the reapply? Would they be eligible.
Kingmaker
Jedi Knight

Post by Kingmaker »

I presume that if Northern Ireland heads for the exits, it will be to join the rest of Ireland, so I wouldn't think it would need to reapply. For Scotland, I'd expect the same considerations would apply as the first time around, though Spain might be less opposed this time around.
In the event that the content of the above post is factually or logically flawed, I was Trolling All Along.

"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George Box
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So I just saw this on Facebook:
BBC News wrote:Tumultuous times in the EU, following the British referendum result. What are people making of ‪#‎Brexit‬ in other EU countries? The BBC’s Paul Adams is in Copenhagen, where there are already calls for a similar in/out referendum.
That plus another post about global markets going all squirrelly after the vote.

Britain, what the fuck have you done?

In other news, my local area (Rhondda Cynon Taff, South Wales) voted to Leave by a margin of 5 percent or so...when it's one of the most deprived areas and also one of the ones that has benefited the most from EU support. But I guess "immigration" is too big of a boogeyman.

Fuck this. I'm going on camp this weekend. I suspect there will be long forlorn conversations around the fire tonight. Shit.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Corbyn's got a vote of no-confidence now as well. No-one's getting out of this unscathed.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crazedwraith wrote:Could N.I / Scotland get out of the UK fast enough to not leave the EU? Who would they have the reapply? Would they be eligible.
N.I. is not going to leave the UK (desire to leave the UK and join the RoI has never been above 20ish %) and Scotland would do well to remember that oil is not at $100 a barrel anymore before it goes down that road.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Ace Pace wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:CNN commentator Van Jones goes on a epic rant about the Brexit, essentially blaming liberal complacency and low turnout and saying that this is a warning that Trump could win:

https://www.facebook.com/vanjones/video ... 077469910/

He has a deliberately over the top style, but if you can look past that, I think he has a valid point.
A valid point? Greater than 70% vote participation. Without mandatory voting it doesn't get much more legit than this.
I stopped watching when all the virtue signalling SJW dog whistle words started being trotted out; "racists, xenophobic, right wing, crazy, blah, blah, blah".

I present to you UK MEP who was campaigning for Brexit Syed Kamall. That fucking racist bastard. :roll:
streetad
Padawan Learner

Post by streetad »

Neither Eire or most of the Northern Irish population want the massive shitstorm that would come with reunification.

The economic case for Scotland to leave the UK is actually much weaker now. I think if anything last nights result has showed that people don't always vote logically in their own interests though.

The other question is what kind of EU will there be left for them to rejoin if they did go down that route?
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Oh wow, I never thought I'd live to see a democracy hurt itself so clearly and simply by sheer stupidity.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

See, this is now narrow the margin really was: Link

If the UK does break up over this, UKIP will have to be renamed- since the UK would no longer exist.
Prannon wrote:Assuming that the electorate is stupid does no one any favors and accomplishes nothing.
Even though it turns out such an assumption is entirely justified. It's no longer an assumption, it's an absolute fact.
Last edited by EnterpriseSovereign on 2016-06-24 01:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Double post edit.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It will be sardonically funny to see the party rail on about sovereignty be responsible for destroying the very nation they claim to be trying to protect.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Zixinus wrote:It will be sardonically funny to see the party rail on about sovereignty be responsible for destroying the very nation they claim to be trying to protect.
Kahless himself once said, "Destroying an Empire to win a war is no victory". :evil:
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zixinus wrote:It will be sardonically funny to see the party rail on about sovereignty be responsible for destroying the very nation they claim to be trying to protect.
Whilst completely refusing to do anything about the one issue that carried the referendum, because they'll take free trade over controlling immigration any day of the week.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Vendetta wrote:
Whilst completely refusing to do anything about the one issue that carried the referendum, because they'll take free trade over controlling immigration any day of the week.
They've been banging on about taking control, now they've got what they wanted they have no fucking clue what to do next. DC is right- let someone else steer the ship onto the rocks.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Poor financiers...
Bloomberg wrote:The City of London’s status as a financial capital may now be eroded, especially if the U.K. loses rights that allow its banks to sell their products and services throughout the EU.

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon, who has 16,000 employees in London and other British cities, said this month a vote to leave could mean a quarter of those jobs might be cut. Morgan Stanley and HSBC have made similar noises.

Global companies said they would reassess their U.K. investments in the wake of the vote. Hankook Tire Worldwide Co. of South Korea may diversify “global production capability”; a board member of Japanese car-parts maker Exedy Corp. said it may have to consider moving its U.K. office to continental Europe. Maurice Levy, chief of French advertising giant Publicis Groupe SA, said it was “out of the question” to open new sites in the U.K. as the advertising market will “surely suffer.”
Just let me play my smallest Marxist violin for them.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

An appropriate still life, modeling a metaphor for the situation:

It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Prannon wrote:May I suggest we consider the repercussions, now that they're almost certainly going to happen and are no longer the realm of theory?

Here's my main question: Now faced with the reality of Brexit, will the EU actually stay true to the tough line of making an example out of the UK?
If they do, it would tend to vindicate the Leave decision in the first place. The EU is supposed to be a mutualist relationship where everyone benefits. Not something with winners and losers where if someone decides they're losing and wants to leave, they get punished- that's imperialism.

It's fair to say, of course, that the EU should treat Britain just as it treats any nation which is not a member of the EU. But if the EU is going out of its way to make things worse for Britain than they would otherwise be, then the EU is thinking like an empire, not like a union. Which sends a pretty clear message, although one that people like the Greeks could have told you a year or three ago.
Zixinus wrote:Oh wow, I never thought I'd live to see a democracy hurt itself so clearly and simply by sheer stupidity.
Eh, we were overdue for another round of it; this sort of thing (complete with voters having buyers' remorse the next day) has been going on at least since the Athenians voted to destroy Mytilene.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

K. A. Pital wrote:Poor financiers...
Bloomberg wrote:The City of London’s status as a financial capital may now be eroded, especially if the U.K. loses rights that allow its banks to sell their products and services throughout the EU.

JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon, who has 16,000 employees in London and other British cities, said this month a vote to leave could mean a quarter of those jobs might be cut. Morgan Stanley and HSBC have made similar noises.

Global companies said they would reassess their U.K. investments in the wake of the vote. Hankook Tire Worldwide Co. of South Korea may diversify “global production capability”; a board member of Japanese car-parts maker Exedy Corp. said it may have to consider moving its U.K. office to continental Europe. Maurice Levy, chief of French advertising giant Publicis Groupe SA, said it was “out of the question” to open new sites in the U.K. as the advertising market will “surely suffer.”
Just let me play my smallest Marxist violin for them.
You do realise that the financiers who live and work in the City and London proper voted overwhelmingly to remain right? And if I'm not wrong your posts in this thread indicates that you also were pro-remain, so ... :?:
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Crown wrote:You do realise that the financiers who live and work in the City and London proper voted overwhelmingly to remain right? And if I'm not wrong your posts in this thread indicates that you also were pro-remain, so ... :?:
I wasn't "pro-remain". I actually thought that Greece and PIIGS should've left, but Britain did instead (which didn't make much sense; it has not joined the currency union and mostly profited from the relationship).

I do realize the financiers voted to remain, but they chose London as their place of residence. Tough luck. They got taught. Anything that makes them richie boys cry makes me laugh, all right?

Of course, I wouldn't shed a tear for any of the European right-wing idiots like UKIP, National Front or Greece's neo nazi scum from Golden Dawn either, if they had been be crushed and down after a "remain" vote.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

K. A. Pital wrote:
Crown wrote:You do realise that the financiers who live and work in the City and London proper voted overwhelmingly to remain right? And if I'm not wrong your posts in this thread indicates that you also were pro-remain, so ... :?:
I wasn't "pro-remain".
:wtf:

How does that jive with your many, many, many posts of your idea that the EU should be vindictive against the UK over this referendum?
K. A. Pital wrote:I actually thought that Greece and PIIGS should've left, but Britain did instead (which didn't make much sense; it has not joined the currency union and mostly profited from the relationship).

Well I agree that this quote is in line with this post, but again you're coming off a bit inconsistent here; you seem to be baying for blood for the UK to face 'consequences' for 'making a bad choice' i.e. voting to leave, but at the same time you're claiming that's not a "pro-remain" stance.

Again, I don't mind you differentiating between the situation of the PIIGS and the UK, I'm saying your position on the UK in EU is inconsistent.
K. A. Pital wrote:I do realize the financiers voted to remain, but they chose London as their place of residence. Tough luck. They got taught. Anything that makes them richie boys cry makes me laugh, all right?
That didn't even make sense. Other than you want to laugh at bankers. Have at it, I laugh at them too.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Crown wrote: :wtf:

How does that jive with your many, many, many posts of your idea that the EU should be vindictive against the UK over this referendum?
Perfectly. The EU should show that you can't vote out but stay in. You can't both slam the door on a confederacy but keep enjoying everything that you used to get from it. It doesn't work that way.

Britain is in its full right to choose to go away - as is any EU country, as a matter of fact. If enough countries secede, it won't matter what the EU does. But if they don't, and the EU remains a confederacy uniting most of Europe, even after losing some members, well, tough luck for those outside.
Crown wrote:you seem to be baying for blood for the UK to face 'consequences' for 'making a bad choice' i.e. voting to leave, but at the same time you're claiming that's not a "pro-remain" stance.

Again, I don't mind you differentiating between the situation of the PIIGS and the UK, I'm saying your position on the UK in EU is inconsistent.
Why do you think I want Britain to "remain"? I just thought it was sensible. But out is out, it is democratic right (as I mentioned, it is clearly a majority of voters and a clear mandate). If there was a better way to demonstrate democracy - but there isn't, that's direct democracy. Like in Switzerland.

I only want there to be consequences for voting, because it should be a choice and not a "well, we voted to leave but we don't really want to take on the risks of being out of (1) single market (2) free movement of persons". No.
Crown wrote:That didn't even make sense. Other than you want to laugh at bankers. Have at it, I laugh at them too.
It does make sense: they voted remain. But unlike the workers, their interest was the free movement of capital - not anything else. About which I don't give two shits. So their whining only makes me laugh. That's it.

Assalti Frontali
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Crown wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:CNN commentator Van Jones goes on a epic rant about the Brexit, essentially blaming liberal complacency and low turnout and saying that this is a warning that Trump could win:

https://www.facebook.com/vanjones/video ... 077469910/

He has a deliberately over the top style, but if you can look past that, I think he has a valid point.
A valid point? Greater than 70% vote participation. Without mandatory voting it doesn't get much more legit than this.
I stopped watching when all the virtue signalling SJW dog whistle words started being trotted out; "racists, xenophobic, right wing, crazy, blah, blah, blah".

I present to you UK MEP who was campaigning for Brexit Syed Kamall. That fucking racist bastard. :roll:
Saying "racist" or "right wing" is an "SJW dog whistle word" now? :lol:

Further proof that "SJW" is just a slur used to shut down and discredit anything the speaker thinks is too Left wing. I mean, you're literally saying "If you mention racism, you're one of those horrible SJWs".

No, not all Brexit voters are racist. But a lot of them were, this is simple God damn fact, and its the xenophobes' agenda that has benefitted today. Certainly I see no economic benefit to last night's decision as the pound takes a nose dive.

As to the participation issue- yes, overall there was high participation. But I do recall hearing on the BBC, I believe, that their was lower turnout in Scotland (which voted Remain). So I can certainly believe that turnout was higher overall for the "Leave" side, and that that helped "Leave" win.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

You know, while I have no love for monarchy as a concept, I feel tremendous sympathy for Her Majesty in all of this. She has served her country and people for over half a century, and now, she will most likely go down in history as the monarch who presided over the end of the United Kingdom, for reasons that are largely out of her control. I cannot imagine what a blow that must be.

This may be the first time I can utter, with complete sincerity, the words "God Save the Queen".
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Simon_Jester wrote:If they do, it would tend to vindicate the Leave decision in the first place. The EU is supposed to be a mutualist relationship where everyone benefits. Not something with winners and losers where if someone decides they're losing and wants to leave, they get punished- that's imperialism.
That doesn't give our government license to take this decision and then refuse to follow through on actually implementing it until they feel like it. At best it's discourteous, and at worst it'll be taken as a deliberate attempt to prolong the market uncertainty by making it look like we might change our minds given enough grovelling, which may in fact be true.

Punishing whatever's left of the UK for leaving might not be justified, but by being deliberately uncooperative and making the process harder for the EU certainly does.
The Romulan Republic wrote:You know, while I have no love for monarchy as a concept, I feel tremendous sympathy for Her Majesty in all of this. She has served her country and people for over half a century, and now, she will most likely go down in history as the monarch who presided over the end of the United Kingdom, for reasons that are largely out of her control. I cannot imagine what a blow that must be.

This may be the first time I can utter, with complete sincerity, the words "God Save the Queen".
Oh well, at least she might not have to watch Charles run the monarchy into the ground. Maybe William can call himself King of Canada?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog