Brexit and not very united kingdom politics II

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Re: Brexit and not very united kingdom politics II

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

Attracting a lot of media attention is James Timpson; appointed Minister for Prisons, Parole, and Probation. Timpson is a business leader best-known for his policy of employing and training ex-cons; and is (or has been) Chair of the Prison Reform Trust. He has also gone on record, recently, stating that only around one third of prisons in British jails really need to be there.

The right-wing press is not taking this at all well.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 77266.html
Jacob Rees-Mogg starts filming new reality TV show following general election defeat
The former minister lost his North East Somerset and Hanham seat to Labour’s Dan Norris last week

Jabed Ahmed

Former Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg is reportedly filming a new a fly-on-the-wall reality TV series following his general election defeat

The Discovery+ series, said to be titled Meet The Moggs, will follow the former minister in his 17th-century country home and star his wife Helena and their six children.

The former MP for North East Somerset was among a number of Tory “big beasts” to have lost their seat last week, with filming thought to have captured his efforts on the campaign trail via the production company Optomen.

Mr Rees-Mogg is not the first MP to turn to TV following politics. The move follows the likes of Nigel Farage on I’m A Celebrity and Matt Hancock on SAS: Who Dares Wins.

The former GB News presenter left families in shock last month when he walked into their children’s first holy communion with a camera crew.

Sir Jacob had permission to appear with his family and a film crew for a mass at St Joseph and St Teresa Church in Somerset, but while a sign had been put up, the families of some dozen children said they did not know he would be in attendance.

He was also joined by the team while canvassing in Longwell Green, on the edge of Bristol before the election.

A insider told The Sun: “Jacob and his family have been filming for the last couple of months but no one expected the General Election to be announced.

“It was gold for the show however and gave a real insight into what family is like for working MPs.”

“Basically it’s being sold as the British version of the Kardashians and will be warts and all”, the source added.

A camera crew also arrived with him at the Popular Conservative group’s conference yesterday.

Rees-Mogg shares children Peter Theodore Alphege, Mary Anne Charlotte Emma, Thomas Wentworth Somerset Denton, Anslem Charles Fitzwilliam, Alfred Wulfric Leyson Pius and Sixtus Dominic Boniface Christopher with wife Helena de Chair, who he married in 2007.

Sir Jacob started his career working for a hedge fund in the City before unsuccessfully standing in the 1997 and 2001 elections.

The former minister quickly garnered a reputation as a rebel by voting against legislation proposed by David Cameron, and became well known for some of his more unusual behaviour, such as going canvassing with his family’s nanny.

He campaigned for Britain to leave the EU in the Brexit referendum in 2016, and is an ally of Boris Johnson, who appointed him leader of the House of Commons in 2019.
Beyond hysterical laughter, I don't have much of a response.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The Discovery+ series, said to be titled Meet The Moggs, will follow the former minister in his 17th-century country home and star his wife Helena and their six children.
That sounds like it will give people more reasons to think that voting him out was a good idea.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

bilateralrope wrote: 2024-07-10 09:31am
That sounds like it will give people more reasons to think that voting him out was a good idea.
Somehow I don't think this will attract new subscribers to Disney+ :lol:
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-10 01:54pm Somehow I don't think this will attract new subscribers to Disney+ :lol:
It definitely won't as it's on <I>Discovery</i> Plus.

---

On other news Suella Braverman is still mad, racist and xenophobic but it doesn't seem to serving her well in the Tory leadership race.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

TIL that Labour's rules against "collaboration" with other parties extend to forbidding us to reach out to them to see if they'd like to put together a team to compete against us in a quiz night.

Also, we're in the early stages of planning for the town council elections in May, but we've hit a bit of a snag: It seems that the town council doesn't have jurisdiction over anything that the voters actually give a damn about. In particular, road repair is a matter for the county council whose elections are a bit further off. And I think even our MP's special policy advisor for highways is sick of people complaining about potholes, and he's spent most of his adult life in the business of fixing them.

Sometimes I wonder why I bother going to these meetings.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Based on what I've been reading about the UK my overall impression of the new government is
-There is no magic money tree
-We can't raise taxes
-Austerity is good, actually
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.