John Edwards potentially running for Prez in '08

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

irishmick79
Rabid Monkey

John Edwards potentially running for Prez in '08

Post by irishmick79 »

Edwards to announce Presidential run

If he runs, I think he instantly becomes one of the more exciting candidates in the field. I really admire his work on poverty, and I think he would have a better shot of winning than Hillary.

I really wish Feingold was a more realistic candidate - he's one of the few really honest politicians in Washington right now and I think he'd be a great President, but I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of actually winning.

It looks like the Democratic primaries in '08 are going to be very interesting.
"A country without a Czar is like a village without an idiot."
- Old Russian Saying
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Oh thank god. I read the thread title and thought is was John Edward the "psychic" whooooo.
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I'm wildly not sold on John Edwards.
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Well I'm sure he'll carry the Dead vote.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Re: John Edwards potentially running for Prez in '08

Post by Trogdor »

irishmick79 wrote:I really wish Feingold was a more realistic candidate - he's one of the few really honest politicians in Washington right now and I think he'd be a great President, but I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of actually winning.
Feingold's already announced that he won't run.

I can't say I'm wildly sold on Edwards myself, but I'd vote for him (or Hillary, or Obama) over all the current Republican front runners.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

I'm still waiting for Clark to make a return.
Still, Edwards is a decent enough canidate, even though I'm not sure about his chances in any theater of the campaign.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Sriad
Sith Devotee

Post by Sriad »

Jason von Evil wrote:Well I'm sure he'll carry the Dead vote.
Ah, so you haven't heard who's committing voter fraud these days? :wink:
Alan Bolte
Sith Devotee

Post by Alan Bolte »

He's handsome, that'll get the women voters in droves.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
There's just no arguing with some people once they've made their minds up about something, and I accept that. That's why I kill them. -Othar
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

blah to mr 'soon to be also-ran'.

The DNC nomination will come down to Hillary vs. Barak. And Mr. Obama will wipe the floor with Hillary's sorry ass.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Col. Crackpot wrote:The DNC nomination will come down to Hillary vs. Barak. And Mr. Obama will wipe the floor with Hillary's sorry ass.
We can only Hope... We can only hope.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Infidel7
Youngling

Post by Infidel7 »

Only problem with Obama is that he is black. I'm sad to say I think a significant part of the country, when standing in the booth with the curtain drawn, will still not voe for a black man.

It's scary right now that neither of the two democratic front-runners are electable in these United States.
You are an intelligent human being. Your life is valuable for its own sake. You are not second-class in the universe, deriving meaning and purpose from some other mind. You are not inherently evil—you are inherently human, possessing the positive rational potential to help make this a world of morality, peace and joy. Trust yourself. –Dan Barker
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I hope the Democrats don't wind up picking Edwards. He had a lot going for him... in 2004. Now he's got one failed bid behind him and he played second fiddle to Herman Munster. Surely the Democrats can do something better than one of the bigger losers of the previous Presidential election.
Infidel7 wrote:Only problem with Obama is that he is black. I'm sad to say I think a significant part of the country, when standing in the booth with the curtain drawn, will still not voe for a black man.
True but a hell of a lot of them aren't going to be voting Democratic anyway. And a lot of the racists in the Democratic party are the blue collar workers that aren't necessarily going to detatch themselves either.

The bigger issue is whether Obama would actually be a viable of enough that the race issue won't matter. He's got a shot at that anyway if he plays his cards right.
Infidel7 wrote:It's scary right now that neither of the two democratic front-runners are electable in these United States.
Obama is electable and there are actually a lot of moderates that would probably support him. He might lose some racists but the bulk of the racist vote is solidly Religious Right anyway.

But then again, I'm also one of those people that thinks the Democrats ought to be looking at governors rather than legislators for their next candidate; I think that's one mistake that cost them 2004. And the Dems should have at least a few that could step up to the plate.
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Yes, well take heart. Ironically, after eight years of the theocratic-crony-corporate-supporting actions of the Bush administration, their front runners are Rudy the New Yorker lib, McCain the potentially hard right but also incredibly detested by the hard right, and Romney, who is both lesser than the two and is also potentially unelectable as a Mormon.

If we weren't facing war and bankruptcy this would be a delicious moment in American politics, and a potential for another dramatic shift.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Battlehymn Republic wrote:and Romney, who is both lesser than the two and is also potentially unelectable as a Mormon.
I wonder if the supporters of Romney have any idea of just how Radioactive it would be to try and get a Mormon Elected.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Re: John Edwards potentially running for Prez in '08

Post by His Divine Shadow »

irishmick79 wrote:Edwards to announce Presidential run

If he runs, I think he instantly becomes one of the more exciting candidates in the field. I really admire his work on poverty, and I think he would have a better shot of winning than Hillary.

I really wish Feingold was a more realistic candidate - he's one of the few really honest politicians in Washington right now and I think he'd be a great President, but I don't think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of actually winning.

It looks like the Democratic primaries in '08 are going to be very interesting.
I'm still holding some hope that Mark Warner will change his mind.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I don't really know enough about Obama to make a judgment on him. He sure as shit is in the news, all over the god damn place, but nothing of content that I've seen.

Personally, as Democrats go, I kind of liked Bidon (I think that's his name). If Rudy throws his hat in the ring, though, I'll probably back him.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red