G7 agrees $50bn loan for Ukraine from Russian assets

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

The G7 has agreed to use frozen Russian assets to raise $50bn (£39bn) for Ukraine to help it fight invading Russian forces.

US President Joe Biden said it was another reminder to Russia "that we're not backing down", but Moscow has threatened "extremely painful" retaliatory measures.

The money is not expected to arrive until the end of the year but is seen as a longer-term solution to support Ukraine's war effort and economy.

Also at the G7 summit in Italy, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Mr Biden signed a 10-year bilateral security deal between Ukraine and the US, hailed by Kyiv as "historic".

The agreement envisages US military and training aid to Ukraine - but it does not commit Washington to send troops to fight for its ally.

Some $325bn worth of assets were frozen by the G7, alongside the EU, following Russia's full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022.

The pot of assets is generating about $3bn a year in interest.

Under the G7 plan, that $3bn will be used to pay off the annual interest on the $50bn loan for the Ukrainians, taken out on the international markets.

Speaking at a joint news conference at the summit's venue in Puglia, southern Italy, President Biden said the $50bn loan would "put that money to work for Ukraine and send another reminder to [Russian President Vladimir] Putin that we're not backing down".

The US leader stressed that Mr Putin "cannot wait us out, he cannot divide us, and we'll be with Ukraine until they prevail in this war".

President Zelensky thanked his American and other allies for their unwavering support.

And referring to the new security deal, he said: "It's a truly historic day and we have signed the strongest agreement within Ukraine and the US since our independence [in 1991]".

The G7 group of rich nations, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and US, have been important financial and military supporters of Ukraine as it battles to contain occupying Russian forces.

Other G7 leaders also hailed the $50bn loan deal, with UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak describing it as "game changing".

The $50bn loan is a sizeable pot of money, when compared with the $61bn worth of US military aid that was finally agreed in May.

Some of those in Kyiv, who had been pushing for this cash, had wanted the G7 to release the whole frozen fund of $300bn, not merely the interest it is generating. The European Central Bank had ruled that out.

Unlike the US aid package, which directly translated into more missiles being sent to the front line, this money will likely not arrive until the end of the year, meaning it will have little impact on the current course of the war.

For now, Ukraine says it still urgently needs more weapons - primarily air defence systems to blunt Russia’s missile and drone attacks on its cities and power stations, as well as long awaited F-16 fighter jets, which it hopes will start arriving as early as this summer.

At the G7 summit, Mr Zelensky said the new security agreement included US shipments of those warplanes.

The loan deal is also hugely symbolic for Ukraine. Its aggressor is now being forced to pay, not only to repair the devastation it has wrought - but for Ukraine to defend itself.

One of Mr Zelensky's closest advisers has said that the West’s decision to punish Russia in this way, in one sense, marks a turning point in the war.

However, the loan is unlikely to force a Russian U-turn on its war in Ukraine.

Most of the frozen assets of the Central Bank of Russia are being held in Belgium.

Under international law, countries cannot confiscate those assets from Russia and give them to Ukraine.

Several hours before the G7 decision was announced, Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova warned that there would be "extremely painful" retaliatory measures.
Rishi Sunak announces £242 million aid package for Ukraine at G7 summit
Rishi Sunak has announced up to £242 million in bilateral assistance to Ukraine at the G7 summit in Italy.

The package is to be used for immediate humanitarian, energy and stabilisation needs in Ukraine and to lay the foundations for longer term economic and social recovery and reconstruction, the prime minister said.

The £242 million was allocated before Mr Sunak called a General Election for Thursday, July 4.

The UK and G7 leaders, who are currently meeting in Puglia, agree Moscow must pay for the damage it is causing Ukraine and will therefore explore how to use immobilised Russian assets - $285 billion (£222 billion) worth of which are held in G7 jurisdictions - to support Ukraine.

Mr Sunak said: "The UK will always stand shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine in its fight for freedom.

"Today we are once more ramping up economic pressure through sanctions to bear down on Russia's ability to fund its war machine.

"Putin must lose, and cutting off his ability to fund a prolonged conflict is absolutely vital."

Speaking to broadcasters after the announcement, Mr Sunak ducked suggestions that the current G7 summit might be his last as prime minister, if polling which widely suggests a Labour win at the General Election is to be believed.

Asked if he had done enough while in office to secure a legacy on the world stage, the prime minister said: "We've had a very productive set of meetings today, particularly on Ukraine, where I've been discussing with my colleagues a game changing package of support for Ukraine that would be funded by the profits on seized Russian assets.

"Now, this is something that I and the UK have personally championed and led on for a while now, so it's very positive to see it close to the finish line."

The UK, alongside G7 allies, has additionally announced 50 new sanctions designations and specifications against Russia - including ships in Russian President Vladimir Putin's shadow fleet.

Sanctions have also been imposed against Russian financial institutions and companies which help to supply Russia's military capabilities.

Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron said the penalties are "starving Putin of the revenue he desperately needs to fund his war chest".

He added: "We will continue to work alongside our partners to increase economic pressure and demonstrate that the UK and the G7 will stand by Ukraine in this fight."

The summit in Italy comes as the prime minister continues to face pressure at home over his decision to leave D-Day commemorations in France - with the backlash dominating his election campaign last week.

Foreign Secretary Lord David Cameron took Mr Sunak's place at a ceremony with leaders, including US President Joe Biden and French President Emmanuel Macron, who the prime minister is meeting with at the G7 summit.

Subscribe free to our Election Briefing newsletter here for exclusive and original campaign coverage from ITV News. Direct to your inbox at 5pm every weekday

During the Puglia summit, Mr Sunak will attend sessions on the Middle East, economic security and China, as well as a credible G7 and UK offer to "the global majority".

The prime minister will also press other leaders to recognise migration challenges "across the route" and to take collective action.

He touted his flagship Rwanda scheme - which he says will go ahead with deportations starting in July if his party is re-elected - during a recent trip to Austria.

Fifteen EU countries, including Austria, signed a letter last month calling on the European Commission to tighten migration policy and to look at third country schemes.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Re: G7 agrees $50bn loan for Ukraine from Russian assets

Post by LadyTevar »

Part of me is highly amused at the thought of using Russian Money to help Ukraine fight. Another part is wondering what Russia can actually do about it, other than throw even more missiles at Ukraine.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Seems like a good way to tap those frozen assets for a cash flow, while sending money to Ukraine to get some back in arms purchases and loan repayments.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Why make it a loan? Just give the money to the Ukraine.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Solauren wrote: 2024-06-16 08:45pm Why make it a loan? Just give the money to the Ukraine.
My guess would be that it makes it easier to extract concessions after the conflict in exchange for debt forgiveness.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Big chunk of those assets probably aren't in cash or directly convertable into cash. Plus every time they do sanctions like this people get nervous about trusting the US/EU with the power to seize their money. This is a lesser step compared to just straight up stealing it.

And a zero interest loan is easier to repeat.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

There could also be legal matters why they can't just give it.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote: 2024-06-17 06:23am There could also be legal matters why they can't just give it.
I suppose, but I'm skeptical how much that matters at this level. What, is Russia going to sue?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Ralin wrote: 2024-06-17 07:03am
Lord Revan wrote: 2024-06-17 06:23am There could also be legal matters why they can't just give it.
I suppose, but I'm skeptical how much that matters at this level. What, is Russia going to sue?
While Russia might not be able to do much, it could be case "if they break that, what else could they break" a lot of international laws rely on. With maybe the possible exceptions of Putin and Trump no leaders would want to seen as unreliable, as that makes making contracts and deals very hard.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Russia has around $300-$350 billion of western assets it can seize & nationalize for its own use. The western world is not going to win the economics game vs. Russia, especially when its hostile policies continue driving countries towards the BRICS faction.
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote: 2024-06-17 12:32pm
While Russia might not be able to do much, it could be case "if they break that, what else could they break" a lot of international laws rely on. With maybe the possible exceptions of Putin and Trump no leaders would want to seen as unreliable, as that makes making contracts and deals very hard.
That's what I was getting at before. I think that's more basic than whether it's legal or not.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Deadly attacks on churches and synagogue in Russia's Dagestan
Armed militants attacked two Orthodox churches, a synagogue and a traffic police post in Russia’s southern republic of Dagestan, killing a priest and six police officers, Russian state news agency RIA Novosti said on Sunday.

Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said in a statement that a Russian Orthodox Church priest and police officers were killed in the “terrorist” attacks.

Dagestan’s Ministry of Internal Affairs said a group of armed men fired at a synagogue and a church in the city of Derbent, located on the Caspian Sea.

The attackers fled and a search was underway for them, the statement from the ministry said.

The ministry said two militants were “eliminated."

Almost simultaneously, reports appeared about an attack on a traffic police post in the capital of the largely Muslim region, Makhachkala. According to RIA Novosti, six policemen were killed and 12 more were injured.

Shamil Khadulaev, deputy chairman of the public monitoring commission of Dagestan, cited by RIA Novosti, said a priest in Derbent and a church security guard in Makhachkala were killed.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attacks, but some officials in Dagestan blamed Ukraine and NATO.

“There is no doubt that these terrorist attacks are in one way or another connected with the intelligence services of Ukraine and NATO countries,” Dagestan lawmaker Abdulkhakim Gadzhiyev wrote on Telegram.

Ukrainian officials did not comment immediately on the attacks.

“What happened looks like a vile provocation and an attempt to cause discord between confessions,” President Ramzan Kadyrov of neighboring Chechnya said.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

If the Ukraine was going to pull an attack like that inside Russia, they'd do it someplace it would have an effect. Like a military installation, base, or government office.

NATO isn't going to attempt anything, because they have their own problems.

More then likely, Russia is just screaming anything they can because they have no idea how did it, or they know who did it, and are embarrassed by it.
(I'm going to give Russia credit and assume that it was not a false-flag operation).
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This looks like it might become an ersatz-Ukraine war thread. This thread is being watched and it may be locked
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Speaking of which...
Kyiv children's hospital struck by missiles as series of Russian attacks kill 31
At least three people have been killed and dozens injured at a Kyiv children's hospital after Russian missiles struck across Ukraine on Monday.

The series of attacks across the country have killed at least 31 people, with that figure expected to rise, as rescuers search through the rubble. More than 154 people have been injured.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said at least 16 people, seven of them children, were injured, at the Okhmatdyt Children’s Hospital.

Ukraine officials also said three people have been killed as a result of the strike on the hospital, but that figure could rise further. They did not reveal if the dead were children.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Russia targeted five cities, with more than 40 missiles of different types hitting apartment buildings and public infrastructure.

The country's air force said 30 missiles were intercepted.

Zelenskyy shared a video on X showing the destruction at the hospital.

He said: "Okhmatdyt has been saving and restoring the health of thousands of children.

"Now that the hospital has been damaged by a Russian strike, there are people under the rubble, and the exact number of casualties is still unknown.

"Right now, everyone is helping to clear the rubble - doctors and ordinary people.

"Russia cannot claim ignorance of where its missiles are flying and must be held fully accountable for all its crimes."

A two-story building that made up part of the hospital was partly destroyed. On the hospital’s main ten-storey building, windows and doors were blown out and walls were blackened.

The intensive care unit, operating theatres and oncology departments were all damaged, officials said.

The attack forced the hospital to shut down and evacuate with mothers seen carrying their children away on their backs.

Marina Ploskonos’ four-year-old son had surgery for cervical spine tuberculosis last Friday, saying "my child is terrified".

"This shouldn’t be happening, it’s a children’s hospital," she said.

Ukraine’s Security Service said it found wreckage from a Russian Kh-101 cruise missile at the site and had opened criminal proceedings on war crime charges.

The Kh-101 is an air-launched missile that flies low to avoid detection by radar systems.

Ukraine said it shot down 11 of 13 Kh-101 missiles launched by Russia on Monday.

The Ukrainian airforce also said the missiles used included Kinzhal hypersonic missiles, one of the most advanced Russian weapons.

The Kinzhal flies at ten times the speed of sound, making it hard to intercept.

In the central Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rih, ten people were killed and 47 injured in what the head of city administration, Oleksandr Vilkul, said was a massive missile attack.

The head of Ukraine’s presidential office, Andrii Yermal, said the attack occurred at a time when many people were in the city’s streets.

Explosions were also reported by local officials in Ukraine’s central Dnipropetrovsk region.

Russia’s Defense Ministry said the strikes targeted Ukrainian defence plants and military air bases and were successful.

It denied aiming at any civilian facilities and claimed without offering evidence that pictures from Kyiv indicated the damage was caused by a Ukrainian air defence missile.

The attack came on the eve of a three-day NATO summit in Washington, which will look at how to reassure Ukraine of the alliance’s unwavering support and offer Ukrainians hope that their country can come through Europe’s biggest conflict since World War II.

Czech President Petr Pavel said the hospital attack was "inexcusable" and that he expected at the NATO summit to see a consensus that Russia was "the biggest threat for which we must be thoroughly prepared".
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Vympel wrote: 2024-07-07 08:32pm This thread is being watched and it may be locked
Why? Other than not wanting to ban esteemed veterans of the most vicious flame wars in board history for trolling?
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ralin wrote: 2024-07-08 10:36pm
Vympel wrote: 2024-07-07 08:32pm This thread is being watched and it may be locked
Why? Other than not wanting to ban esteemed veterans of the most vicious flame wars in board history for trolling?
EXACTLY. We are not wanting to ban people. There's few of us left already. With the last thread going down in flames, and the one after immediately spoiled by Vendetta Posting, we are going to be watching to prevent that from happening again.
If this is a problem or concern, take it up with Dalton or Wong on FB. --Lady Tev

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-07-09 08:54am
EXACTLY. We are not wanting to ban people. There's few of us left already. With the last thread going down in flames, and the one after immediately spoiled by Vendetta Posting, we are going to be watching to prevent that from happening again.
If this is a problem or concern, take it up with Dalton or Wong on FB. --Lady Tev
Dalton said that thread was going to be reviewed but it never was.

Meanwhile:
NATO Secretary General responds to Russian missile attack on Ukraine
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg condemned the massive missile strike by Russians on Ukrainian cities on the morning of July 8, according to the US Department of Defense website.

Before his meeting with US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, the head of the Alliance noted that Russia continues its brutal war in Ukraine.

"Only today, we have seen horrendous missile attacks against Ukrainian cities, killing innocent civilians, including children. I condemn these heinous attacks. At the summit, we'll make decisions to further strengthen our support to Ukraine, and Russia must understand that they are not able to wait those out. They need to sit down and accept a solution where Ukraine prevails as a sovereign independent nation," Stoltenberg emphasized.
The NATO chief also thanked US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin for his contributions to strengthening NATO and the transatlantic partnership, particularly for his leadership in the Ukraine Defense Contact Group, which includes more than 50 countries.

"The Ramstein format has been extremely important, and it really made a difference and enabled us all to provide unprecedented support to Ukraine," added the NATO Secretary General.

According to him, the events in Ukraine demonstrate that security issues extend far beyond the region and are a global problem. Taking this into account, during the NATO summit starting tomorrow in Washington, leaders of Asian-Pacific partners - Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and South Korea - will also be present.

"And that's clearly demonstrated in the war in Ukraine, where Iran, North Korea, China are supporting, enabling Russia's illegal war of aggression against Ukraine," Stoltenberg added.

Washington NATO Summit 2024

From July 9 to 11, a summit of the North Atlantic Alliance (NATO) will take place in Washington. One of the key topics for the meeting of the 32 leaders of the Alliance member states will be the support for Ukraine.

During the summit, decisions may be made to strengthen Ukrainian air defense capabilities, as well as discuss the country's future NATO membership.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

The Conversation wrote: As Ukraine fights against Russian invasion, it faces a battle on two fronts: military and financial. Global attention understandably focuses on battlefield developments, where Russian troops are pushing towards Ukraine’s second city, Kharkiv. But Ukraine is simultaneously experiencing financial struggles.

With its economy damaged by war and the year’s defence cost estimated to be £35 billion, Ukraine is on the brink of defaulting on £18 billion in debt. For Ukraine, debt is not an accounting exercise – it represents the ability to defend its sovereignty and secure its future.

At the onset of the war, private investors led by JP Morgan agreed to freeze Ukraine’s debt repayments. That agreement is set to expire in August. Both Ukraine and its lenders are racing to reach a last-minute debt deal to avoid default.

These debt restructuring talks are common between states and investors, but they usually last years and rarely occur in the context of war. At present, both sides remain far apart in their negotiations. Ukraine is demanding a 40% reduction in its debt obligations and investors are willing to take only a 20% loss – known in financial circles as a “haircut”.

Ukraine faces a trade-off in its debt negotiations. On the one hand, securing a larger debt reduction, or even an outright default, could free up substantial fiscal resources in the short term. This would allow Ukraine to redirect funds from debt payments to immediate war-related needs.

However, the long-term consequences of such a decision could be severe, with higher borrowing costs and longer periods of exclusion from capital markets. The outcome of these negotiations will shape not only Ukraine’s immediate defence capabilities but also its long-term economic resilience.

A country’s ability to access credit markets plays an important role in determining the outcome of a war. In previous research, which was published in 2013, I found that states with lower borrowing costs are significantly more likely to win their wars.

Debt allows states to mobilise more resources, more quickly than they otherwise could. The cheaper the debt and the easier it is to access, the more resources that country can mobilise for its war effort.

Because of the importance of debt for war, states involved in wars rarely default. The risk of losing access to credit markets is usually too high. There are, however, some notable exceptions.

Russia technically defaulted on its debt shortly after its invasion of Ukraine in 2022 because sanctions made it impossible to make debt payments. And Saddam Hussein’s Iraq defaulted amid the war between Iran and Iraq in the 1980s. But both countries had substantial natural resource wealth to draw upon, a luxury Ukraine doesn’t have.

The Russian and Iraq exceptions highlight another crucial factor in wartime finance: the nature of a country’s political system. As autocracies, Putin’s Russia and Saddam’s Iraq could impose restrictive economic measures during wartime. The Russian government, for example, has imposed controls that make it difficult for exporters and foreign companies operating in the country to take money out of Russia.

By contrast, the Ukrainian government has to be sensitive to the domestic political pressures of war financing. Measures like those adopted in Russia would probably spark political discontent in Ukraine.

Debt allows democracy leaders to mobilise resources without relying on unpopular fiscal strategies. However, facing the prospect of reduced access to debt, Ukraine has reverted to divisive tax policies that have raised the tax burden on individuals while cutting social spending.

Taxes are important to the war effort, but they risk upsetting the necessary domestic support to continue fighting. And the Ukrainian government has been accused by journalists and international watchdog groups of being too restrictive in its response to domestic discontent. The Ukrainian domestic intelligence agency allegedly surveilled an investigative media team in their hotel rooms.

Ukraine’s financial future

There’s some good news for Ukraine’s leadership though. After much delay, US Congress passed a military aid package worth US$60 billion (£47.4 billion) in the spring. At the same time, the UK provided its largest aid package to Ukraine, worth more than £3 billion for 2024.

More recently, the G7 (which consists of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK and US) agreed to use Russia’s frozen assets to finance a new US$50 billion loan to Ukraine.

These additional financial resources are needed for Ukraine’s war effort. But they do not solve the immediate debt problems. The UK and US aid packages are earmarked for military equipment only and cannot be used for budgetary support. The G7 loan will be more flexible, but that money is not expected to be delivered until later this year.

Ukraine must balance the immediate needs of war financing with long-term economic considerations and domestic political pressures. The stakes could not be higher. The terms Ukraine secures in debt negotiations will affect not just its ability to fund the current war effort, but also its capacity to rebuild once the conflict ends.
Someone is going to make some decent bank when this conflict is over.

- George Carlin
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-09 01:11pm

They decided to uphold the LOCK, and that was that.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-07-10 02:46pm
Would have been nice if the last post in the thread had been so amended to reflect that.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-10 07:11pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2024-07-10 02:46pm
Would have been nice if the last post in the thread had been so amended to reflect that.
It did not need to be amended, therefore it was not. Now, are you doing to complain or going to actually post something relavant to the topic?

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

LadyTevar wrote: 2024-07-12 12:06pm
EnterpriseSovereign wrote: 2024-07-10 07:11pm
LadyTevar wrote: 2024-07-10 02:46pm They decided to uphold the LOCK, and that was that.
It did not need to be amended, therefore it was not. Now, are you doing to complain or going to actually post something relavant to the topic?
I'm going to Take a Third Option and do both- because things had been left up in the air for weeks that's why the last thread got locked.
Zelenskyy becomes first foreign leader to address cabinet in nearly 30 years
Prime Minister Keir Starmer said it was a "real piece of history" as Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy became the first foreign leader to address cabinet since 1997.

Zelenskyy was greeted by the UK Cabinet with a standing ovation as he became the first foreign leader to address the ministerial meeting in person since Bill Clinton nearly 30 years ago.

Zelenskyy is also the first official visitor to Downing Street under Starmer's premiership, as the PM emphasises Britain's continued support for Ukraine.

“This is a very, very important meeting for us and you’re very welcome here,” the prime minister said. “It is a real pleasure and a privilege to be able to welcome you to Downing Street this morning. This is a real piece of history.”

He said the president becoming the first foreign leader of the 21st century to address Cabinet in person shows “the esteem you’re held in… in this country and around the world”.

During the meeting Zelenskyy asked Starmer to “show your leadership” and help with Ukraine’s “long-range capability”.

Zelenskyy stressed“if the restriction on western weapons is lifted” it would help Kyiv to strengthen its defence and secure its frontline positions.

He said “it is possible to destroy” areas in Russia where weapons are being concentrated.

The UK Government has suggested the deployment of British missiles is ultimately a matter for Ukraine, as long as international law is upheld.

At last week’s NATO summit, Starmer implied Ukraine could use the missiles against Russia, but Downing Street later clarified the policy on using Storm Shadow missiles remains unchanged.

Zelenskyy’s visit to Downing Street follows the European Political Community (EPC) summit at Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire, on Thursday, where 44 countries and the EU agreed to target Russia’s “shadow fleet” of tankers seeking to evade sanctions on Russian oil.

The group of around 600 vessels carries 1.7 million barrels of oil per day, providing funds for Moscow’s war effort while also allegedly acting as listening stations or transporting weapons for Russia.

The ships are often old and unsafe, and engage in dangerous practices such as turning off their location tracking systems, increasing the risk of a serious collision.

The PM said: “Alongside our European partners, we have sent a clear message to those enabling Putin’s attempts to evade sanctions: we will not allow Russia’s shadow fleet, and the dirty money it generates, to flow freely through European waters and put our security at risk.”

Speaking at the EPC summit on Thursday, Zelenskyy said the UK had been “one step ahead in its determination to support Ukraine” since the Russian invasion began.

He added: “This is the kind of resolve we need to stop Russian terror.”

On Thursday, the UK also sanctioned 11 oil tankers thought to be involved in evading sanctions, including the Rocky Runner, which previously sought to escape UK action by changing its operator.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Russia struggles to repel Ukraine's deep Kursk incursion
Russia's military has said it is "continuing to repel" a Ukrainian cross-border incursion into the western Kursk region - a surprise attack now in its fourth day.

The Russian defence ministry said Ukraine lost more than 280 military personnel in the past 24 hours - a claim that has not been independently verified.

Reports suggest that Ukrainian troops are operating more than 10km (six miles) inside Russia - the deepest cross-border advance by Kyiv since Moscow launched a full-scale invasion in February 2022.

Ukraine has not openly admitted the incursion, but President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday that Moscow must "feel" the consequences for its invasion.

Meanwhile, at least 14 people have been killed and 43 injured in a Russian strike on a shopping centre in the Ukrainian town of Kostyantynivka, close to the frontline in the eastern Donetsk region, Ukrainian officials say.

Residential buildings, shops and more than a dozen cars were also damaged in the attack.

News of the strike came hours after Ukraine's military said it had hit a military airfield deep inside Russia overnight, destroying a warehouse containing hundreds of glide bombs.

The targeting of the Lipetsk air base, more than 350km (217 miles) from Ukraine's border, is the kind of operation Kyiv has been wanting to do for some time.

These are the very tools that Russia has continually terrorised Ukrainian towns, cities and military positions with for most of its invasion.

The military's statement also said the airfield was known for housing Russia's Su-34, Su-35 and MiG-31 war planes.

Lipetsk's regional authorities said a state of emergency was now in place in the area, confirming the detonations at an "energy infrastructure facility". Residents of four nearby villages were being evacuated.

In a statement on Tuesday, the Russian defence ministry said its forces were repelling "an attempt by the Ukrainian armed forces to invade the territory of the Russian Federation".

It said Russia was using aviation and artillery, managing to suppress "raid attempts by enemy units".

But a video checked by BBC Verify shows a different picture, with a 15-vehicle Russian convoy damaged, burned and abandoned on a road through the town of Oktyabr'skoe, roughly 38km (24 miles) from the border on the Russian side.

The early morning footage also shows Russian soldiers, some injured, possibly dead among the vehicles.

A "federal state of emergency" has been declared in the Kursk region - a move that underlines how grave the current situation is.

Russia said that up to 1,000 Ukrainian troops, supported by tanks and armoured vehicles, entered the Kursk region on Tuesday morning.

Despite the deployment of reserve troops and orders to evacuate, Russia has been unable to slow the momentum of this Ukrainian advance.

This is more than the probing attacks we have seen in the past. Hundreds of soldiers with armoured vehicles are thought to have made it up to 10km into Russian territory.

It is a committed assault which has shocked Russia’s military and the Kremlin. For the last 18 months it has been Moscow dictating the dynamics of this war.

Now it is having to both contain this attack as well as domestic criticisms for not preventing it in the first place.

Despite long-time Western worries of an escalation, the consensus among Ukraine’s allies is that this operation falls within its right to defend itself.

While he is yet to directly reference the assault, President Zelensky said in a video address late on Thursday: “Russia has brought the war to our land and should feel what it has done.”

But with his Ukrainian forces still outnumbered by the Russians on the battlefield, the line between masterstroke and miscalculation is a fine one.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Good morning from London. Life events preclude me from active daily involvement in matters here. I do what I can.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.