Infants with terrorist names forbidden flying

N&P: Discuss governments, nations, politics and recent related news here.

Moderators: Alyrium Denryle, Edi, K. A. Pital

Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Infants with terrorist names forbidden flying

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

You feel safer yet ?
ABC News wrote:WASHINGTON Aug 15, 2005 — Infants have been stopped from boarding planes at airports throughout the U.S. because their names are the same as or similar to those of possible terrorists on the government's "no-fly list."

It sounds like a joke, but it's not funny to parents who miss flights while scrambling to have babies' passports and other documents faxed.

Ingrid Sanden's 1-year-old daughter was stopped in Phoenix before boarding a flight home to Washington at Thanksgiving.
Am I supposed to believe these kind of intellectual giants are going to outwit Al-Quaeda agents ? We spend all this money on "homeland security" and we can't even get people with the common sense of a brain damaged chimp ? I swear, anything this administration sets up is garbage.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Uh, the lists and the associated problems with them were around before 9.11 and the TSA screeners.

Besides, what are they supposed to do? They've got a name they're not supposed to let on and no idea what the person who registered looks like.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

:roll:

Fucking bureaucratic mindset. We have to follow "procedure" even when it makes no sense whatsoever. A six month old infant can't be a terrorist.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Lord Zentei
Space Elf Psyker
Location: Ulthwé Craftworld, plotting the downfall of the Imperium.

Post by Lord Zentei »

Broomstick wrote:Fucking bureaucratic mindset. We have to follow "procedure" even when it makes no sense whatsoever. A six month old infant can't be a terrorist.
That's what they want you to beleive. :twisted:
CotK <mew> | HAB | JL | MM | TTC | Cybertron

TAX THE CHURCHES! - Lord Zentei TTC Supreme Grand Prophet

And the LORD said, Let there be Bosons! Yea and let there be Bosoms too!
I'd rather be the great great grandson of a demon ninja than some jackass who grew potatos. -- Covenant
Dead cows don't fart. -- CJvR
...and I like strudel! :mrgreen: -- Asuka
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Broomstick wrote::roll:

Fucking bureaucratic mindset. We have to follow "procedure" even when it makes no sense whatsoever. A six month old infant can't be a terrorist.
I find you'd probably be greeted with excuses piled on excuses if you told these cretins to use common sense along with the guidelines rather than reading them as de facto rules for every situation. It oozes bone idleness and simple stupidity more than anything.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Okay...

I immediately imagine the idiot cop from VGCats in a bearaucratic suit at the Airport... quite literallly

Who the fuck hires people this stupid?!
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

The US gov't are the world's largst employer of such people, equal opportunities and all.
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

The US gov't are the world's largst employer of such people, equal opportunities and all.
It's the same in britain unfortunately... but I don't think anybody is going to stop a kid from flying because their names are on a list.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

No child left behind, you say? Unless they sound like a terrorist. I hate people that abide by rules pointlessly, they need to watch 24.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Dakarne wrote:Who the fuck hires people this stupid?!
This is the US, where the guys screening you at the airport today were flipping burgers at McDonalds 2 weeks ago because they were too dumb to get any other job.

This is why I'm never flying into the US again if I can help it.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

I'm glad that I'm not an American, no offense intended, because I wouldn't like to live in a country which hires people incapable of independent thought.

I can't imagine that these people actually know the meaning of a real blacklist. I mean: Who bans a child from travelling because they share names with a 17+ year old TERRORIST...

Fucking idiots.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Dakarne wrote:I'm glad that I'm not an American, no offense intended, because I wouldn't like to live in a country which hires people incapable of independent thought.

I can't imagine that these people actually know the meaning of a real blacklist. I mean: Who bans a child from travelling because they share names with a 17+ year old TERRORIST...

Fucking idiots.
Right, because burecratic stupidity is the province of America alone...I mean not more then one of your posts ago you said Britain does the same thing. :roll:

Are you going to make a point beyond spamming and me-tooing?

As for this latest, nothing more can be said then what has been. It stupid and asinine.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

...I mean not more then one of your posts ago you said Britain does the same thing.
Not to the exact same extent... I mean, with corporate companies maybe they do hire idiots, but with government ran companies and security, they wouldn't stop a child from boarding a plane, at least, I've never encountered anyone stupid enough to do so...
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Dakarne wrote:
...I mean not more then one of your posts ago you said Britain does the same thing.
Not to the exact same extent... I mean, with corporate companies maybe they do hire idiots, but with government ran companies and security, they wouldn't stop a child from boarding a plane, at least, I've never encountered anyone stupid enough to do so...
You are a fucking idiot, aren't you?

I'm not stating anything in regard to the thought of this policy isn't one of the dumbest profilings instead I'm slamming you because of the first part, and add to it, something you have not given one piece of any substationated thought beyond "I'll me-too!"

Let's see in your above post you added an additional agreement with Valdemar's point that the reason this idiocy happens is because of hiring of morons, then you added that Britain was unlikely to have enforced or made this particular clause.

No one disagrees with you, that is not what I am hitting your moronic ass for. The first statement is what I am saying is nothing more then Spamming and me-too nonsense.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

Dakarne wrote:
Do you ever form an opinion of your own? Or is everything you say here dictated by what the poster directly before you said?
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Dakarne
Village Idiot

Post by Dakarne »

Do you ever form an opinion of your own? Or is everything you say here dictated by what the poster directly before you said?
Apparently my opinion that Vader's neck apparatus was a Neural Adaptor of some sort which allowed him to use his artificial limbs, (supported by the fact that Luke felt an electrical crackling in the back of his neck when messing with his own in one of the EU Books, he was also on a planet with Ysalamiri, so the force doesn't factor) wasn't considered to be valid.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Lord Zentei wrote:
Broomstick wrote:Fucking bureaucratic mindset. We have to follow "procedure" even when it makes no sense whatsoever. A six month old infant can't be a terrorist.
That's what they want you to beleive. :twisted:
"The enemy may be unscrupulous, but they are not masters of disguise"

Lewis Black
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Julhelm
Jedi Master

Post by Julhelm »

Can't these families simply keep their passports with them while boarding? Problem solved.
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Dakarne wrote:

It's the same in britain unfortunately... but I don't think anybody is going to stop a kid from flying because their names are on a list.
Yeah, you'll just post his pic on TV, saying "this kid is a terrorist." :P

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Pu-239
Sith Marauder

Post by Pu-239 »

I have a hard time believing people are this stupid... more like "cover your ass" thinking.

ah.....the path to happiness is revision of dreams and not fulfillment... -SWPIGWANG
Sufficient Googling is indistinguishable from knowledge -somebody
Anything worth the cost of a missile, which can be located on the battlefield, will be shot at with missiles. If the US military is involved, then things, which are not worth the cost if a missile will also be shot at with missiles. -Sea Skimmer

George Bush makes freedom sound like a giant robot that breaks down a lot. -Darth Raptor
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Wow, it's a good thing we made these people federal employees. They're just so much more professional now.

The incompetence and idiocy of the TSA never ceases to amaze.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

This doesn't surprise me. In one airport the TSA screeners took the replica gun ban so strictly they prohibited GI-Joe plastic guns from being allowed on a plane.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Pu-239 wrote:I have a hard time believing people are this stupid... more like "cover your ass" thinking.

What do you expect? No one with a screening job in the US right now is going to want to risk anything at all happening right now, because so much crap could stand to come down on them personally.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Julhelm wrote:Can't these families simply keep their passports with them while boarding? Problem solved.
Not really - the vast majority of Americans do not and never have owned a passport. It's not a required document, so no one bothers to get one unless they're planning to go out of the country (and Canada doesn't count in this case, as US citizens don't need a passport for that one. Yet.)
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Pu-239 wrote:I have a hard time believing people are this stupid... more like "cover your ass" thinking.

What do you expect? No one with a screening job in the US right now is going to want to risk anything at all happening right now, because so much crap could stand to come down on them personally.
Don't they have incident reports for this sort of stuff? It's a fucking baby, they shouldn't be so dumb that they can't simply let it on and write down a report saying something along the lines of "passenger had similar name to suspect on list, but was an infant" or some such. It also makes me wonder how close the name actually was to get it marked.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."