Doom: FUN!!!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Doom: FUN!!!

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well, I picked up the original Doom as well as Doom 2 and Final Doom together in a pack for $10 at Walmart.

And, may I say, 'twas most excellent! :D

I've completed level 3 so far... anybody have any suggestions? Hints? Cheats? :P

Oh, and if any of y'all have stories about your first experiences, why not share... I'd sure enjoy hearin', that's for sure.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

IDKFA :P
Image Image
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

IDDQD
IDKFA
IDCLIP (I think)

Edit - as for experiences, a friend and i used to play it modem to modem way back when i first got the internet, cool as all hell. Then later on we played duke nukem 3d modem to modem and it went fucking weird when we edited the first level with build.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

IDBEHOLD is also a nice one. Gives you inventory like light amp and some other stuff IIRC.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

I'd recommend you take a look at jDoom, also known as Doomsday. It's a new engine that allows a number of 3d effects in Doom, Doom II, etc. It requires the original .WADs to work (though they can be downloaded), but if you've got them, it just makes the game better. It also allows jumping, mouse look, and a whole bunch of other features we're used to. Jumping might be better left off, though; some secrets are easy to reach if you can jump.
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

I've seen jDoom before... It's so damned weird to be playing old-school Doom and be able to look UP.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Level 29 of Doom 2 is my favorite only for d_shawn.mid. I love that song!

Also, I'd like go on record that the original Doom and Doom 2 scared me shitless. So much heart-pounding fun. :D
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

I prefer Legacy Doom to jDoom. Doesn't have all the graphical tricks that jDoom has, but it has some nice gameplay-oriented features like proper vertical aiming, the ability to move over and under objects, etc.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Frank_Scenario wrote:I'd recommend you take a look at jDoom, also known as Doomsday. It's a new engine that allows a number of 3d effects in Doom, Doom II, etc. It requires the original .WADs to work (though they can be downloaded), but if you've got them, it just makes the game better. It also allows jumping, mouse look, and a whole bunch of other features we're used to. Jumping might be better left off, though; some secrets are easy to reach if you can jump.
We are not discussing anything illegal like downloading the core files to a game that is still being sold by its publishing/development company are we?

But apart from that, jDoom's freaking awesome.
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

GrandMasterTerwynn wrote:We are not discussing anything illegal like downloading the core files to a game that is still being sold by its publishing/development company are we?

But apart from that, jDoom's freaking awesome.
Of course we're not discussing downloading any of those files. That possibility is obviously simply an intellectual curiousity, rather than any sort of course of action someone might undertake. No, I don't think anyone here is culpable in any sense.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

And I purchased the game itself, so I don't need to download any files that can be found in the game. That clear? good.

Aside from all that-- i'm into episode 2 now... finished the third level in there. It's getting good.... the IDCLIP cheat doesn't work though... :(

Oh, and the BFG is fucking sweet! :D
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Frank_Scenario
Padawan Learner

Post by Frank_Scenario »

Elheru Aran wrote:And I purchased the game itself, so I don't need to download any files that can be found in the game. That clear? good.

Aside from all that-- i'm into episode 2 now... finished the third level in there. It's getting good.... the IDCLIP cheat doesn't work though... :(

Oh, and the BFG is fucking sweet! :D
The original DOOM didn't use IDCLIP. The clipping code is "IDSPISPOPD." Doom II uses IDCLIP.

I'm told that SPISPOPD stands for "Smashing Pumpkins into Small Piles of Putrid Debris." Members of the alt.doom newsgroup coined the phrase before the game was released. It was supposed to be a hypothetical DOOM-killer, if I recall.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I would maintain that E2M7 of Doom is still one of the finest levels in any FPS ever.

That was, quite seriously, the most atmospheric, oppressive, and downright scariest thing I had ever experienced in a game back in the day. (until I finished it, and ol' stompy introduced hisself)
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

"Smashing pumpkins into small pieces of putrid debris" was a line used in the first of the Doom novels. It was spoken by Arlene Sanders after she and fellow Marine Flynn Taggart ran into their first Cacodemon.
JADAFETWA