Let's Play: Bloodborne – A Horrible Night to Have a Curse

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Revy
Jedi Knight

Let's Play: Bloodborne – A Horrible Night to Have a Curse

Post by Revy »

What is it?

It's a famous horror action RPG from FromSoftware, ie the folks that made Dark Souls. It's kinda like if Bram Stoker and HP Lovecraft got together and made a game. It came out in 2015, I'm pretty sure everyone has heard of it by now. I play it on PS4. I think it can be played on PS5, but there is still no PC port of it out. Or a sequel.

The LP

I started the LP about three, four years ago, and got five episodes into it before Meat Space kicked the crap outta me and I stopped. Then last year I started it up again, and managed to finish it. I play it offline (don't have PS+), and use subtitled commentary. After a few episodes I also started dubbing in music at certain parts where I thought it would be funny/appropriate, because it turns out the game doesn't really have a whole lot of music going on.

Oh, and also I did the entire LP just so that I could make a joke referencing the 1985 film Clue, which only appears in the very last episode of the LP. Yeah, I played and recorded the whole game just for a stupid gag right at the end of it.

Well, not the whole game...

What about the DLC?

Yeah, I didn't do it. It turns out the DLC is really really hard, and I'm not actually very good at this game. To this day I have never beaten Ludwig. So the LP only covers the base game. I mean for crying out loud, I nearly died for real fighting Gehrman at the end. Damn near had a heart attack beating him twice. Never. Again.

Highlights

Okay, so with me doing this all by my lonesome, and not even being that great at it, you might not feel like watching the whole thing. Fair enough. Here then is a list of a few (IMO) highlights that maybe are worth checking out.

Part 8 – Comedy of Errors: This is I think the first part where I started dubbing music in during certain parts. Included is a 2 vs 2 fight against two NPC Hunters, where my AI partner decided it would rather stand on a roof staring at some crows, and later I run backwards through Old Yharnam as Never Look Back (from FF8) plays. In hindsight I should have also played Man With the Machine Gun whilst going in through the front. Oh well.

Part 9 – What happens in the montage: I condense my trip through the extremely boring Forbidden Woods into a musical montage, later climb a long ladder without playing the obvious Snake Eater theme song, and show off what a really old nerd I am by dubbing in Quentin's Theme from the original Dark Shadows at the clinic.

Part 12 – The Final Frontier: An NPC Hunter gets stuck running in circles in a poison swamp, and I managed to find the most perfect silly tune to play over the top of it. Later I get squashed by a boulder despite being at 95% health.

Part 16 – Cage Match: Not the whole episode, just the bit where I cheese the Gank Squad, sped up to make it look even sillier. Because screw those guys, they suck.

Part 18 – Crowning Moment of Awesome: My favourite part of the LP, where I take down Logarius (I hate that guy so much), explode an NPC just because he likes Logarius (I really hate Logarius), and take down the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst in a mostly fair fight whilst playing an awesome song from a Bloodborne trailer. *chef kiss*

Part 21 – Final: The whole thing. Three endings. One stupid joke.

Anyway, really sorry if I'm doing this wrong (making an LP thread for a game I finished a year ago I mean), but I just wanted to put this out there for folks to watch, because I had a lot of fun doing it and also almost died making it (kinda). And maybe if anyone likes it I could try doing another LP of something.

Link to Playlist

I tried to embed the first part here using the youtube dressing button (ie [youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWTctKLuZFM[/youtube] ) but it didn't work, not sure why.