World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: World of Tanks

Post by Rogue 9 »

Norade wrote:I jumped back in to try the US TD's and even the T82 which people bitch about is great. Just started with the T40 and went from the 57mm to the first 76mm gun and I think they're both excellent weapons. Thus far I've only managed 3 matches, but I'm still 3 for 3 wins, 6 kills and I've only died once. It shows how many bad players there still are, especially in the US TD tree.
105mm howitzer at tier 3. That's all I've got to say about the T82. :lol:
Hawkwings wrote:I can't wait until I get a tank with a fucking turret. The Lee is terrible. Still like 5k more experience to grind, which takes forever because I can't actually damage anything in the games I'm placed in.
Then you're not trying hard enough. A Lee has killed my T29.

Twice.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Just picked up a T1 with all the free XP I'm getting from my M4. The thing is really turning into a chore to play, since every match is clogged with Tiger IIs, IS3's and VK fantasy tanks. Bit by bit, I'll chug through it.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Highlord Laan wrote:Just picked up a T1 with all the free XP I'm getting from my M4. The thing is really turning into a chore to play, since every match is clogged with Tiger IIs, IS3's and VK fantasy tanks. Bit by bit, I'll chug through it.
The second engine upgrade is totally worth it.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The T1 is a medium tank in all but classification. Use it like a medium tank and you should be fine.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ok, since it didn't sink in last time I'll repost this...
Me eight pages back... wrote:Ok, I'll just go ahead and say what some of us are already thinking. There aren't really any truly bad tanks in this game, but their sure as hell are a lot of really shitty tank drivers playing it. Chances are, and I'll bet comparing game stats will prov it flat out, that at least half the people bitching about the Lee or whatever have some pretty lack luster kill/death and win/loss records. Quit your bitching and learn to drive the tank properly. It's not the gun, it's not the turret or the engine or the tracks. It's you. The guy behind the keyboard failing to learn how to properly fight your tank.

As far as the Lee goes... If it sucks so bad then explain how the hell it is TheTenth there managed to get 142 kills for only 106 matches in it and four out of ten of his top gun medals were earned in it. Seriously, it's not the Lee that sucks, it's you. It's not a tank, it's a really tall TD with no camo bonus and it's a very accurate sniperplatform that has a good RoF with the upgraded gun. Stop fighting it like it's a tank and you'll find that ityou suck a lot less.

The T2 is a fucking Teir II, so go figure it's not that great. All Tier 2 tanks blow as it's not about armor at that level, it's about overall HP of the tank itself. Again, it's the T2 that sucks, it's just you.

T1 is just fine once you upgrade it. It's a little undergunned compared to the KV, but it makes up for it with a much higher RF and better accuracy than the 107mm on the KV. It's not the T1 that sucks, it's you.

The M6 still has the undergun problem, but again makes up for it in RoF and accuracy, only with the addition of better armor and armor sloping on the front, and it's a hell of a lot more agile than anything in the KV series. So yeah, not the M6 that sucks, it's just you.
There are no bad tanks, just piss poor drivers.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

The main issue with the T1 Heavy and the Lee is that the effectiveness of their gun drops a lot against higher tier opponents. This unlike say, the Hezter or the Sherman whose 105mm can still be viable against Lowes and IS-3s. For this reason, the T1 and the Lee are both rightly seen as somewhat underpowered - as the weaker gun gun does hurt its stats (especially kill rate).

That being said, both tanks can still very much hold their own as long as the driver knows what he's doing and is aware of the limitations of his tank. Drive the T1 Heavy like a medium tanks ala a Sherman with 76mm (which is in fact in the same tier as the T1 Heavy), and you'll do great. Try to drive it like a KV (also at the same tier), and a real KV will smoke you for the bad imitation.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Just went on a small rampage with my T40 and then had an enemy Panzerjager bitch about always being one hit by American TD's. Still lose though because when the game ends and you have 4 of your teams 6 kills nothing you could do would have won...
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

You mean a real Kv-2? Because rightly the devs see that thing as a level higher anyway. It is not a T5 heavy, not really. Drive the T1 vs any non-derp KV and it will win a largish number of the matches. Only a short barrel 122mm armed KV will have a good time in a long range fight with a T1, and only because of small KV turret having decent shell bouncing angles.

A T1 is a decent line tank, for it's level, and if you must get into higher battles drive to survive so that you can live long enough to cap, or defend the cap. You don't need to get any kills to have a victory with a lot of xp.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

That's an ironic bitch. The Panzerjaeger 1 gets one-shotted by almost everything :D.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Yeah, though in beta I had 100% crew and a maxed out tank and the thing fired laser accurate rounds and could fuck people up. I was getting 6-7 kill games all the time with it, when I wasn't getting instagibbed.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Norade->

The PzJgr 1 is still the same deadly machine as it was in beta. The problem is all the newbies who do not understand that a bus engine with plywood armor needs to hide in a bush and sit still so it can use its lovely, lovely, long 50mm.
Agent Sorchus wrote:You mean a real Kv-2? Because rightly the devs see that thing as a level higher anyway. It is not a T5 heavy, not really. Drive the T1 vs any non-derp KV and it will win a largish number of the matches. Only a short barrel 122mm armed KV will have a good time in a long range fight with a T1, and only because of small KV turret having decent shell bouncing angles.
Yeah. Unfortunately most T1 drivers seem determined to "get up close and personal" with KVs with much bigger guns, resulting in T1s getting two-shotted to death very quickly at point-blank range.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Zinegata wrote:Norade->

The PzJgr 1 is still the same deadly machine as it was in beta. The problem is all the newbies who do not understand that a bus engine with plywood armor needs to hide in a bush and sit still so it can use its lovely, lovely, long 50mm.
Oh, I have no doubts there. There are certainly tons of noobs in the game.

Would do it again if I hadn't already reached Stug III in the beta already. Doing the same grind twice sucks, so I'm fooling around with Russian arty, and American TD's this time while slowly chipping away towards the Sherman. I unlocked the Lee, but I'm just money grinding now while trying to elite my T40, move from the Su-26 to something nicer, and driving the Valentine like I stole it.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Also the ally damage fines can be awesomely funny. Like the 2 exp fine I got for stopping to take a shot and having a moron ram me.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Zinegata wrote:The main issue with the T1 Heavy and the Lee is that the effectiveness of their gun drops a lot against higher tier opponents. This unlike say, the Hezter or the Sherman whose 105mm can still be viable against Lowes and IS-3s. For this reason, the T1 and the Lee are both rightly seen as somewhat underpowered - as the weaker gun gun does hurt its stats (especially kill rate)

The same holds true for all guns untill you get into the top tier weapons. It's the same tier as a Sherman, so expect armament that reflects this. I'll futher add that I've killed more Hetzers and Shermans with a T1 heavy then either have killed me. In most cases it's not the tank, it's the yahoo driving it. For example, according to my statistic I've got 2 top guns, 4 snipers, a 24 hit sharpshooter with a 14 hit master gunner, and I've averages at least one kill per match with it.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Yeah, but notice how Hetzers and Shermans are the same or lower tier? ;)

Like I said, the real issue with the Lee/T1 is that the gun has issues with higher-tier opponents who have armor than can reliably bounce the 76mm or the 75mm. The 105mm on the Sherman and Hetzer can at least still do some damage.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

Just started playing American TD's as well. Got a T40. I have to say...it's actually pretty fun guerrilla fighting. Shoot, scoot, shoot. I can most of the time get three shots off before I have to haul ass from retribution, but I can score one or two kills in that time.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Bought some gold. Are any of the premium tanks worth it? Or should I concentrate on using it to boost experience?
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

atg wrote:Bought some gold. Are any of the premium tanks worth it? Or should I concentrate on using it to boost experience?
Depends on how much you bought.

Pz38h735(f) is definitely worth it for farming free experience, and it doesn't costs much (750, I think), but if you bought only a limited amount of gold it is better to use it for a premium account.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

If you buy a Lowe your silver money problems will be gone forever. But XP will still be a pain to grind.

In most cases it's best to just use gold for XP conversion OR for premium accounts.
Gervasius
Redshirt

Post by Gervasius »

Zinegata wrote:If you buy a Lowe your silver money problems will be gone forever. But XP will still be a pain to grind.
A word of advice: price of Lowe is going up, so get one now if you want.

The Hotchkiss (Pz38h735f) is a fun tank and a beast if properly driven. Good for occasional solo-stomping when you get frustrated by teammates in high-tier battles. I haven't tried other premiums except US M6A2 and CBT Sherman.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master

Post by Highlord Laan »

The Ram-II is also a very nice Premium.
Tritio
Padawan Learner

Post by Tritio »

Zinegata wrote:If you buy a Lowe your silver money problems will be gone forever. But XP will still be a pain to grind.

In most cases it's best to just use gold for XP conversion OR for premium accounts.
I'm seriously thinking of getting a Lowe solely for silver money grinding purposes. Can anyone here who owns a Lowe testify as to how effective it really is? Yes, I have heard all the hype, read the forum posts and seen their screenshots. But is there anything else to know?
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

I actually bought a Lowe just a day or so before the announced price increase. Mostly because I'm keeping a bunch of stuff in my garage for the free slots when they revamp the tech trees. I've not played with it too much but so far the least amount I've made with it is around 40,000 silver for a loss I didn't do much in to over 100,000 silver for a fairly decent win. Repairs I don't think I've seen go over 8000 silver and shells are 1000 silver per round. It really does make money hand over fist and I'm glad it does so.

The other useful thing it does is train crews if you don't have spare gold to convert xp. I know a couple folks (who had this tank much longer then me) already have 100% crews ready and waiting in the wings for the E-75 and E-100 tanks.
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Tritio wrote:

I'm seriously thinking of getting a Lowe solely for silver money grinding purposes. Can anyone here who owns a Lowe testify as to how effective it really is? Yes, I have heard all the hype, read the forum posts and seen their screenshots. But is there anything else to know?
I've driven a Lowe on my brother's account and it's a decent tank. Good gun, fuck you sight range, and decent armor and sloping. It's not as well armored as the Tiger II, and it's got some serious problems with gun depression that combined with it's height make it really vulnerable nose-to-nose. Also, it's side armor is pretty weak and a hit to the rear of the hull pretty much can guarantee either your engine or fuel tank getting critted, if not outright set you on fire (the follow up shot will have a really good chance of setting you on fire). All in all, the Lowe is good at sniping, but any of the other Teir 8s can tears it's head off, and a good tier seven driver can end a Lowe without much difficulty as well.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Broken wrote:I actually bought a Lowe just a day or so before the announced price increase. Mostly because I'm keeping a bunch of stuff in my garage for the free slots when they revamp the tech trees. I've not played with it too much but so far the least amount I've made with it is around 40,000 silver for a loss I didn't do much in to over 100,000 silver for a fairly decent win. Repairs I don't think I've seen go over 8000 silver and shells are 1000 silver per round. It really does make money hand over fist and I'm glad it does so.

The other useful thing it does is train crews if you don't have spare gold to convert xp. I know a couple folks (who had this tank much longer then me) already have 100% crews ready and waiting in the wings for the E-75 and E-100 tanks.
I ended up buying a Lowe. The best I've been able to do is 28000 silver.... Clearly I'm not used to driving a heavy and I'm doing something wrong :S
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."