World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by PeZook »

It's funny because I don't think the game actually rewards kills a whole lot. Isn't EXP awarded based on damage inflicted/received and cap points, rather than kills themselves?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

There's a small bonus for actually getting kills, but most of the XP is for damage.
spaceviking
Jedi Knight

Post by spaceviking »

Doesn't matter anyway, since he lost the game no one on our team would have gotten that much xp.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, the difference between a win and a loss would've been so much greater than the one measly kill he didn't get. Promote that team spirit!
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Sounds like an FPS kiddie who worries about the Almighty K/D Ratio as the One True Stat.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Far as I'm concerned, when someone "steals my kill" all they've done is saved me the cost of a shell. Winning is all that matters, everything else is just details.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Far as I'm concerned, when someone "steals my kill" all they've done is saved me the cost of a shell. Winning is all that matters, everything else is just details.

It irritates me sometimes, but mainly when the "stolen" kill is someone I really wanted to kill myself.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Far as I'm concerned, when someone "steals my kill" all they've done is saved me the cost of a shell. Winning is all that matters, everything else is just details.
Never objected to stealing a kill except when I fire half a second later at the destroyed wreak or I'm playing artillery and with 3 seconds left before splash the tank I'm aiming goes kaboom from another shot. Otherwise if it's a KV1 and I've knocked of 95% of it's heath by all means fire away, that's the difference between the KV getting another shot off and it not. This is a team game and it's only wasting a shot I object to, not getting kill credit.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

A true eff whore would thank you for letting him do full shell damage on the next shot...
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

But then a true eff whore would be trying to track you so he can park in the circle and get more of them sweet purple points.

I steal as many kills as get stolen from me. Such is life.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

The only time I've ever seen any sort of discussion on who gets to kill whom is when someone has 5 kills and the team's so far ahead that victory is inevitable.

Shouldn't win percentage be the stat to worry about maximising? If you're going to hold a number in pride it should be how likely you are to help the team by being on it.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

XVM displays efficiency and win rate, so people like to pad efficiency, which pretty much just means capping and defending cap because they're wildly overvalued. Also, win rate padding is a thing and pretty easy at that if you know people. Hooray for tank companies.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:But then a true eff whore would be trying to track you so he can park in the circle and get more of them sweet purple points.
Or he'd just push you out of it.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

Kill steal accusations are for idiots in this game. Just do your damn job by inflicting as much damage as possible on the enemy team (or in the case of scouts, light them up and keep them lighted up).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Victory!
Battle: Fisherman's Bay 05 January 2013 00:10:21
Vehicle: Cromwell
Experience received: 2,306 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 29,647

Wish my x2 was like that every day.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

Victory!
Battle: Ensk Friday, January 04, 2013 6:05:23 PM
Vehicle: Cruiser Mk. II
Experience received: 3,021 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 15,478
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Reaper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

When I'm in a tier 2/3 match, this little thing is everything I want the KV-2 to be and more. It was probably helped by the fact that the only enemy who seriously tried to kill me was a Stuart who for some reason took cover between shots even though he had like 6 times the fire rate I do. At the end, it was just a T57 who'd done a great job of single-handedly defending our cap and myself vs seven tanks and we both made it out alive, he with 5 kills and I with 8.

Of course, my previous match had me firing 4 95mm shells into the flank of a KV-1 and doing 0 damage between them so I shouldn't fall in love with this thing yet.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Victory!
Battle: Fjords Friday, January 04, 2013 11:28:24 PM
Vehicle: SU-26
Experience received: 4,041 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 29,610
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Six kills, we would have lost as it was my Su-26 and a Priest Vs a Churchill with five minutes to left, so we got into a yacky sacks run where I'm scouting the Churchill and the Priest is shooting at him as I'm out of ammo. We get him down from 100% to 56% across 60% of the map in a 20 km/hour high speed chance and he quits in disgust.... never mind the Priest has run out of ammo and I'm out of ammo.

I damaged every eleven tanks, killed six. It was a glorious demonstration of how broke the Su-26 is compared to other arty, better than any other Tier III arty, better than most of the Tier IV stuff, the fast firing 122 means your doing the same damage as the 105mm's on the tier IVs. And then you add the icing on the cake... a turret, that glorious turret that makes you so accurate and stealthy since you don't need to move your chassie.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I don't know about kill steals, but I do get upset when other tankers ruin MY shot. Especially when I had the grace to let them settle their shots instead of rushing in to get the kill.

Its worse when instead of simply running into my gun sights and blocking the target, they actually physically ram me and push me off target.......

As an aside, is medium gun rammer or suspension a better gear to equip the Sherman with? I would had gone for rammer without a shot if it wasn't for the fact that I been getting tracked repeatedly for the last few matches.... Not sure if this is a consequence of higher tier play....

But it was....... amusing to see me die when in a rush against two arty, the Hummel charged me and tracked me. Gave him just enough time to maneveur away and save his arse when reinforcements shot me.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Suspension is almost always useless.

The best items pretty much are (in this order)
Vertical Stabilizer (by far)
Gun Rammer (close second)
And third is your choice of Vents or Optics.

TDs can opt to substitute in Camo Net and/or Binocs.

Nothing else does a damn thing, really.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Gun Laying Drive is also useful to reduce the time you have to spend waiting for your gun to settle as you peek out, and also for high ROF guns that might well have reloaded before they've tracked in.

I'd say even that if you have to choose take a GLD over Vents.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

God... I love the Marder..... Played the same map at Prokhorovka twice today. The first was a defeat, but going up against 3 heavies do that to you. I was the last tank standin, earned defender medal and was the highest scoring tank on my team, outdoing damage and after the collapse of both flanks, singlehandedly shut down their entire advance by posing a storm of steel. Was defeated ultimately because one can't go against a fully 100% KV tank which had been hiding for the entire match as well as a Churchill.

The second was a victory where I was top tier, but not highest scoring tank. Inched my way across the centre, providing "flanking" fire to the flankers and spotting tanks hiding in the centre.

Can't say the same for the Sherman though:D I guess its true, American mediums are fragile:D Over ten matches in a row and I got tracked in every single one.......
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line Saturday, January 05, 2013 12:00:16 PM
Vehicle: T71
Experience received: 6,912 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 61,749
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Sharpshooter, Reaper, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

The T71 is the greatest machine of death imaginable. It has everything you'd want in a tank.
30 shells fired, 28 hits, 27 pens.
4619 damage. Six kills.

It takes
1500+ undoubled XP to get ace tanker on this monster. Goddamn, that's more than some Tier Xs. I'm going to be so terribly, terribly sad when this little guy gets nerfed.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Victory!
Battle: Ruinberg Saturday, January 05, 2013 11:25:57 PM
Vehicle: Comet
Experience received: 6,159 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 42,318
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

It's... been a good day. I realized I've been underutilizing gold rounds when I'm not top tier. People still ignore 'pea shooter' tanks, but now with gold rounds, you never bloody know.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I don't understand how the peashooters are actually ignored... What do you mean?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Some players have a tendency at high tiers to pass up shooting a bottom tier medium because it won't do too much damage compared to the inevitable Type 59 swarm, or just not respond to a low damage gun because they think they can just shrug off the shots and it's not like they're losing too much HP a time.

Which, if you have high reliable DPM means you can put in a lot of work.