World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Esquire »

US servers are working, or they were fifteen minutes ago.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Yeah, US servers are fine.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Phew...I would hate to have wasted all this time (my laptop takes forever to install the thing) :P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Well, I can now say that the Circle of Death maneuver is a damn good one. Solo'd an M6 in a Covenanter... isn't it not supposed to work that way?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I once killed a T-150 by circling it to death with my T49.

Also: YES YES YES!!!!

The game is working for me again! Now to see how much I suck after not playing it for a month :P

(maybe I should start with that T1E6 it gave me...)

EDIT: Fun little tank that one. Naturally though my first match back was with one of the most idiotic teams I've ever had though. I see my luck hasn't changed in that regard :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto Edit:

Defeat
Battle: Province Saturday, January 19, 2013 11:22:43 PM
Vehicle: Renault NC-31
Experience received: 282
Credits received: 5,996
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Only worth mentioning, because I got 3 (almost 4) kills, and took 15 hits. If we had won this battle (and I survived) I would have gotten a Steel Wall out of it. In a Tier 1 :P
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Broken wrote:Based on the reviews of a friend, I have been grinding the M18 Hellcat a bit. I just got the 90mm gun for it and holy hell, does it turn into a little murder machine. Threw a camo net and a rammer I had in stock from something or other in, combined with its naturally, absurdly high camo-rating and I'm nearly invisible. I don't even have 100% crew yet and don't often keep lower tier tanks, but this is staying in my lineup. Next permanent paint sale I'll splurge some gold on it too.
Just hope nobody shoots HE at you. 13mm of hull armor and an open-topped turret isn't a great combination for that situation. Other than that, it's indeed a fantastic machine.
Artillery is the Hellcat's bane. Penetrating arty kills.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Sigh... should I keep the IS-1 or not? It times it's brilliant, but so will be the IS-3.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ghetto Edit:

Defeat

Only worth mentioning, because I got 3 (almost 4) kills, and took 15 hits. If we had won this battle (and I survived) I would have gotten a Steel Wall out of it. In a Tier 1 :P
15 hits at tier 1 would never give you Steel Wall. The hits you take have to add up to 1000 potential damage, which wouldn't happen at T1.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Oh man, having a tank destroyer sneak up on you isn't fun. I was in a Pz.Kpfw. 35(t), hiding behind a cottage in Mines, towards the northern village, just happily sniping, when this guy, somehow, gets the drop on me. By the time I traverse to my six for a shot, he's loaded and ready. My round plinks off. He kills me in one.

Ehh. I could have run easily, but I really need to get into threat identification. Flight or fight didn't kick in.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

One of the key habits of successful play is to keep flicking your eyes to the minimap. Be aware of what's around you and you wont get jumped on.

Also, if a Tank Destroyer is facing you then move, because they tend to have strong front armour which you'll have a hard time penetrating, and they can only fire forwards. If you can get to their side and stay there you can take them down.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Vendetta wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Ghetto Edit:

Defeat

15 hits at tier 1 would never give you Steel Wall. The hits you take have to add up to 1000 potential damage, which wouldn't happen at T1.
*facepalms*

I keep forgetting that its not hits taken, but 1000 potential damage. Really need to remember that one :P
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

It's both. You need to take at least 10 hits that add up to at least 1000 potential damage.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:51:46 PM
Vehicle: T-150
Experience received: 1,315
Credits received: 36,916
Battle Achievements: Sniper, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter

I love this tank so very much... Only one kill, but I got between 75 and 90% damage on something like six other tanks.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ahh...the T-150. Probably the only Tier 6 other than the 3601 that I'm going to hold on to. :D
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT:

Victory!
Battle: South Coast Sunday, January 20, 2013 1:45:26 PM
Vehicle: VK 3601 (H)
Experience received: 2,505 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 16,897

Oh VK 3601 (H) how I missed thee! :P
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I've been slowly building up a stable of tanks to meet all my Tier needs. My Tier I and II I'm still undecided on, my Tier III is the lovely artillery whore Su-26, my Tier IV is the fun tank destroyer Hetzer with derp 105mm and packing store bought gold rounds. My Tier 5 is my free premium Sherman nice all around medium tank. My Tier 6 is the Hellcat, my Tier 7 is no question the T29.

And Tier 8's, Tier 9s and Tier 10s I never play enough to get enough time with to decide which one to grind to.

The newest addition was the Hetzer, being able to derp with gold rounds is @#$@# hilarious. Watching Tier IV's pop in one or two shots is amazing.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf Monday, January 21, 2013 6:31:51 AM
Vehicle: M6
Experience received: 2,298 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 26,388
Battle Achievements: Sniper

Ah joy, love this thing on a good day. What it doesn't bounce it just absorbs at like half damage. Killed an IS and KV-13, though I suspect the IS was stock, a KV-2, KV-1, and a Hellcat. 17 out of 18 shots hit their targets.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm not sure as anything below tier 5 can rightly be regarded as a keeper. I played low tiers quite a lot, but it does get to the point where you're clubbing baby seals when you have a tricked out tank and high level crew at low tiers. (Seriously, binoculars on a Loltraktor is borderline cheating) Not to say you can't have fun matches at low tiers, but there are diminishing returns. The more you play low tiers in a single tank/crew the less fun it gets.

Tier 5 is where you get proper matchmaking spread all the time, and the full range of vehicles, and most players are starting to feel the sting of the cluebat. Also, tier 5-6 are the most profitable tiers when played well, so they can fund your money sink tier 8+ play.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

That's why I'm keeping the 3601 and T-150. Both are fun tanks that make me a pretty penny. I'm especially going to need them assuming I ever break the T8 barrier :P
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Defeat
Battle: Live Oaks Monday, January 21, 2013 5:46:31 PM
Vehicle: M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo
Experience received: 673
Credits received: 15,651
Battle Achievements: Oskin's Medal, Sniper

Did 1.7k damage, 1.2k of it from shooting a Lowe in the ass and keeping it perma-tracked so it couldn't turn or bring its turret out from behind a building, nor could the tiger supporting it get a shot at me. Also helped finish a Type 59 and finished a JgTiger 8.8 cm. Unfortunately the Tiger covering our base chickened out so they managed to capture it. I got top of our team.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Why does my ARL-44 attract failteams? It's got a 40% winrate and I don't feel like I've been playing badly. When I have been winning it's been with some pretty good scores, and I always put out more than my HP in damage, but it's been lemmingtrains and teams that evaporate with no result all weekend.

Hopefully it's just the result of playing tier 6 when there's a KV-1S special running.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My T-150 has been attracting bad teams too. Which sucks, because give that thing some proper support and it can murder things like nothing else.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Battle: Westfield Monday, January 21, 2013 7:48:24 PM
Vehicle: Hetzer
Experience received: 2,012 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 22,839
Battle Achievements: Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Reaper, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

I love the Hetzer derp soo much. M6's ignoring me until I slam a gold round into their side.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

ARL-44 has a weird spot. Like most Tier 6 vees.

If you're top tier, you MUST carry your team to victory. The difference between a Tier 6 and a 4 is a massive spread. And the HP differential between a 6 and a 5 is big enough that you can really punish Tier 5s.

But the ARL-44 isn't very good at these. Since it doesn't have the flexibility and soft stats of the M6, or the overpowered Alpha of the KV-1S. It just has a buttload of unnecessary penetration, and terrible soft stats beyond measure.