Xbox Live ported to PC

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Arrow
Jedi Council Member

Post by Arrow »

Destructionator XIII wrote:
Arrow wrote:You know that the consoles are going to be running the same software, you just need to make sure that the PC version is running using files with matching versions and checksums.
Curious, how would you prevent the user from sending a fake checksum or version number that is the expected value while he still cheats?

This seems to me to be a great use for DRM technologies, actually, but I can't seem to think of any other way that is reliable, since it all depends on a trusted client as far as I know.
Having never studied the problem, I can only speculate. I would the checks at run time, and honestly, I'd want a system that rechecks random while you play. Instead of using any information in the file headers, I'd compare the game's variables (weapon stats, map geometry, display configuration) against a known good state on the server. It's not your traditional checksum.

I have feeling Punkbuster does some of this, since it waits until you're ingame, and it can kick based off your configuration variables (such as the FOV parameter in CoD). Its not bullet proof, but it will stop most people. After than, its up to the server admins.
Artillery. Its what's for dinner.
Netko
Jedi Council Member

Post by Netko »

PB doesn't just use config. variables, it also checks files (generates checksum and compares to known good), presence of known hacks in memory, etc. All with semi-random rechecks during play. With common updates (every couple of days) its actually pretty good at kicking cheaters - any public cheat gets fixed in the next update, and non-public ones must be very carefully designed to not trigger it. And if all else fails, there is always the screenshot utility...

Anyhow, thats a problem that has been solved or minimized for a while now.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Destructionator XIII wrote:This seems to me to be a great use for DRM technologies, actually, but I can't seem to think of any other way that is reliable, since it all depends on a trusted client as far as I know.
A signed executable, random checks and a way to defend the process from outside modification (The NX bit and Vista's ASLR are steps in this direction) could render many of these cheats moot.
Elessar
Padawan Learner

Post by Elessar »

It would be interesting to see Microsoft's method of handling cheaters. Aside from Trusted Computing, I wonder if they would be willing to deal with the fallout of banning subscribed customers. Considering their past track record, false positives could seriously hamper PC users.

I mean, just look at Valve's Steam... and that's not even a subscription.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

They already do suspend or ban subscribing cheaters from XBL. Bungie's semi-regular Whaaambulance posts detail some of the causes and responses.