World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks

Post by KlavoHunter »

I can't see any good reason why you wouldn't want to just take the VK3601H and stick with it permanently, it's everything you imagine a Tiger should be, with the short 88, but more. It has good armor for its tier, and can move pretty damn well. I'd happily buy another one and pimp it out with vents, rammer, etc, if I had more tanks slots to play with...
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The only reason to play a German tier six other than the 3601(H) is because you want a:
Maus
VK 4502 A
Jagdpanther
Ferdinand
Jagdpanzer E-100

Maybe a 4502 P, but you'd better well know how to drive a slow slab of armor.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Scottish Ninja suggested I post the updated version.

I haven't edited a video this heavily in years. It was pretty fun to make.
(Suggest fullscreen or 720p for best viewing)
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
The Infidel wrote:
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:I'm debating if I'm going for the Panther or Tiger at this point. Thankfully I still have to go through the III/IV (loving it!) and the VK 3601, so it will still be a while till I have to decide on that. Going without gold is making it take longer, but at least I'm not spending any money! :P
VK3601? Can I advise you to go for VK3001(not nice)-->VK3002db(nice) and from that one take both Tiger and Panther. It costs less xp that way if you want both Tiger and Panther. That's what I did. If you only want Tiger, of course, do as you please.
You can research the 3002 DB from the 3601, so I'd recommend sticking with that route to avoid the 3001H.
Oh, I see that now. I think they have changed the tech tree since I did my grinding there. Yeah, VK3001 is not fun to play and VK3601 would give you a hint about how the Tiger is.
You can check grinding cost here: http://www.wotdb.info/ alt+left click on start tank and target tank and it will show you the cost of different routes. VK3002 is a nice thing in the middle and not too bad to play.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Does anybody know what this note in the 7.5 patch notes about "modules take damage even if armor is not penetrated" means? Because I don't really think my Tiger needs any more ways to get damaged :P
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

AniThyng wrote:Does anybody know what this note in the 7.5 patch notes about "modules take damage even if armor is not penetrated" means? Because I don't really think my Tiger needs any more ways to get damaged :P
Likely to do with HE. An HE Shell that impacts and does some concussive damage (but not penetrating and doing HIDEOUS MURDER damage) is going to do some system damage.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Too bad what happens on testserver, stays on testserver...

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf 28. juli 2012 13:28:37
Vehicle: Type 59
Experience received: 27 898 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 803 974
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

How the hell did that happen?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

:shock:

What the...how the... :wtf:

That just defies explanation...did you kill the entire enemy team on your own or something?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Test server. 10x xp and credits. I'm surprised the numbers are that low, frankly. Clearing 100k in a type isn't that hard to do given a top gun. I'd like it if the real servers were like it for a bit, but after a while everyone would be driving tier tens which can get old relatively fast.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Defeat
Battle: Airfield Saturday, July 28, 2012 12:02:55 PM
Vehicle: S-51
Experience received: 501
Credits received: 17,220
Battle Achievements: Reaper, Master Gunner

maybe my best round ever as an arty. Almost everything but the type 59 that took a direct hit died, the type took two direct hits, and the panther 2 was hit only to reduce cap on a lucky shot. 4kills 3 damaged and 28% base defense. 6 out of 9 shots hit. VK45ausfB was the biggest dead tank, and the best was the undamaged Loraine. Can't wait for the 203mm.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...never used Arty myself. Too busy concentrating on medium/heavy tanks at the moment. That's the problem with going completely free, but I'm happy to not have to pay anything. Besides, I'd probably suck with the arty anyway. :P
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

You'll also teach yourself a lot of stuff about how arty works. I also think that arty's prone to making a decent buck but I'm not sure there.

If you like what you've got going though, don't bother, you can pick up a lot of how to deal with arty from playing and paying attention.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Really, I just don't think arty would be that much fun for me. The idea of sitting back and relying on scouts to spot targets just doesn't appeal to me all that much. Not to mention being arty makes you the single biggest target on any given map.

Maybe its just me, but I much prefer being able to fight without a big bullseye on my butt. :P

(Not to mention that the people I tend to end up with never protect the arty...I'd die very quick in that case)
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

Honestly I don't like playing arty all that much, but occasionally the ability to sit back relax and touch people keeps me coming back. Mostly I don't like it because of how random arty is.

You know what I figure? It isn't the silver arty rounds that make people bitch at high level arty, and caused the accuracy weakness to be greater than in beta. At least at 152mm. The 203 might be different, but even then... no one takes silver to Clan wars in arty if they don't have to. Being hit by silver rounds mostly just tickles high level heavy tanks and you are pretty unlikely of getting more than one shot off and it is most likely not going to hit even with a good crew. Yeah mediums but they have enough dodging power and skill to stay out of your gun sights.

Lower level arty though. Man it can just end matches.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

What never ceases to be annoying is having a good match in my PzIII/IV, and then someone tracks me...whereupon I get one or twoshotted by the bloody arty.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Yeah, tier V can be kinda annoying because of that. Soon your crew should be at 100%, so you can grab repair, which helps a ton, and the low percentage values increase real fast.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Russian Bias.

Victory!
Battle: Malinovka Saturday, July 28, 2012 5:21:42 PM
Vehicle: T-54
Experience received: 4,784 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 99,891

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13902799/20120 ... .wotreplay

Some games everything goes right. I'm just amazed that after all that pounding I didn't walk out with a steel wall.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

xthetenth wrote:Test server. 10x xp and credits. I'm surprised the numbers are that low, frankly. Clearing 100k in a type isn't that hard to do given a top gun. I'd like it if the real servers were like it for a bit, but after a while everyone would be driving tier tens which can get old relatively fast.
He got it right. Testserver with 10x credits and xp. It was encounter battle and I managed to get behind enemy lines and had a one man party with a little help from arty. If you try to play low tiers here, which I like to do, you can end up with games of 5 units on each team. It gets quite cozy that way, but most on testserver are from the russian server and I don't understand Cyrillic letters or the words behind, so I don't get the comments...

It's a nice way of testing new tanks you're planning to buy, or, if you can't decide between two tanks, you can test them both and figure out who to buy on the normal game server. I'm currently testing out Ferdinand vs Jagdpanther II, but haven't decided yet.

^^ Btw xthetenth. Nice work with that T-54. 8)
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Watching xthetenth's game, I think the T-54 can be a nice thing. I don't have any russian meds, only german ones. I do have the Type 59 and love it. How does T-54 compare to Type 59? I have some russian heavies. How does T-54 compare to IS-8? (I've heard the IS-8 should be driven like a german med instead of a russian heavy.)
What never ceases to be annoying is having a good match in my PzIII/IV, and then someone tracks me...whereupon I get one or twoshotted by the bloody arty.
Always have a small repair kit on key 5. If you get detracked, press 5 twice and your track is repaired. Only works once per battle, but it's worth 3000 credits.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oh I have one...its when I get zeroed in so fast I can't use it that's the problem. I swear...several times I use the thing...and then get hit by the arty before I can move.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Whenever my friends platoon as arty, we try to coordinate fire. Having 3 shells hitting a guy at once is far more effective than shelling 3 different targets.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Infidel wrote:Watching xthetenth's game, I think the T-54 can be a nice thing. I don't have any russian meds, only german ones. I do have the Type 59 and love it. How does T-54 compare to Type 59? I have some russian heavies. How does T-54 compare to IS-8? (I've heard the IS-8 should be driven like a german med instead of a russian heavy.)
The T-54 is armored about the same as the Type 59, with slightly better hull armor, but not better enough to be a tier higher. However, it's pretty nimble, which is nice, with similar turning and better acceleration. The gun has a similarly long aiming time, but pretty good penetration and accuracy, both of which are welcome, and does a good bit more damage per shell. The turret is well armored which comes in useful sometimes (I really got a lot of mileage out of it that round). Compared to the other tier nine mediums, it has significantly less damage on tap. The Patton is slower and unarmored but nothing else can peek around a hill or out of cover and get an aimed shot off quickly the way it can and it's got good low speed maneuverability to be unpredictable. The E-50 is scarily accurate and has some decentish armor, but is about the size of a house. The T-54 is agile, which is real nice, and it has a good turret which is occasionally useful but it has to poke more often because the damage is low, and with the aim time it's a bit hazardous waiting although the moving accuracy is very nice.

It's a very different beast to the IS-8, the IS-8 is fast but it doesn't have the sheer agility of the T-54, which lets the T-54 operate very effectively in areas with a lot of hard cover just by letting you pop out from different locations before the enemy can react and get back into cover real fast.
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

3 of us. Playing fully upgraded Grille's on El Hallouf.

I got 3 kills, 6 damages. The others got 2 kills each and damages. We spread ourselves out so no one had cover from all of us and concentrated our fire. It was devastatingly effective.
Broken
Padawan Learner

Post by Broken »

weemadando wrote:3 of us. Playing fully upgraded Grille's on El Hallouf.

I got 3 kills, 6 damages. The others got 2 kills each and damages. We spread ourselves out so no one had cover from all of us and concentrated our fire. It was devastatingly effective.
It would be devastatingly effective because if tanks actually operated in a threat environment with tons of mega-accurate artillery, their armoring schemes would be likely be completely different since their designers were not complete idiots. Instead we have tank armoring and guns within some sort of shouting distance of history and design specs going up against arty with abilities that would require guided munitions from at least the 1980's.

It doesn't help that by the time you get to high-end gameplay; arty is less about player skill and choices then the RNG. Shells fired at completely zoomed in targets from spg's will sometimes just fly off-course and impact a county away from their target. Other times, it might as well be an orbital death cannon that smites all it lays it gaze upon. No action of the player impacts this, its purely up to RNG mechanics. It lets silly things happen like a stationary Maus sit in the open without being destroyed while my E-50 that is mostly hull down in a ditch peaks around a corner and gets one-shot by heavy arty.

If you like arty gameplay, that's fine. I ground up to elite my hummel in both beta and live. But as I played the game, the less fun it was to be killed or crippled out of the blue because I broke the holy commandant of "Thou shallt hump a fucking rock".
"If you're caught with an ounce of cocaine, the chances are good you're going to jail. Evidently, if you launder nearly $1 billion for drug cartels and violate our international sanctions, your company pays a fine and you go home and sleep in your own bed at night." Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)

The Noldor are the Wise, and the Golden, the Valiant, the Sword-elves, the Elves of the Earth, the Foes of Melkor, the Skilled of Hand, the Jewel-wrights, the Companions of Men, the Followers of Finwë.