World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Vendetta »

The 3001P is so bad I got Ace Tanker in it by accident. It took that low an amount to get that I did it on a terrible frustrating game where only 5/18 shots caused any damage. (the rest was spotting damage).
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Simon_Jester wrote:In the American tree, what would you say are the differences between the turreted TDs and the corresponding tanks? At low tier, the M8A1, T49, M10, M18, and M36 are lightly armored and would be most closely compared to medium tanks. At higher tiers, the turreted TDs seem to act more like heavies.
Well, the T30 is actually a heavy, though I've yet to try it. It often seems to snipe and use hull down though, due to its weak frontal plate. The difference between the E4 and E3 is armor. The E4 will have shots go through it frontally from time to time, and its cupola is a weak spot, the E3's frontal armor is so thick that it often bounces gold rounds, and its cupola is extremely well armored. The E4 is also significantly faster than the E3, so it fits more into the relocating sniper style of play.

The T25 AT and T25/2 I think have the most pronounced differences yet also one is not clearly superior than the other. The T25/2 has less firepower, though its top gun has a faster fire rate and is more accurate, making it well suited to sniping and flanking. The T25 AT plays well as a hybrid between a front-line TD and a medium tank, using its speed and maneuverability to place its 105mm gun where the enemy wants it least, and where it will do the most damage.

I would also note that the lower tiers are not so cut and dry. The T49 and M10 are especially quite different vehicles, the T49 being suited to moving about, flanking, spotting, etc, while the M10 can excel at both static sniping, shoot-and-relocate sniping, and in the right matches it can get up close and personal.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Victory!
Map: Widepark
Date: 11/4/2013 1:53:00 PM
Vehicle: KV-1
Exp: 1,498 (x2) Credits: 17,719
Achievements: : Steel Wall, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Victory!
Map: Sacred Valley
Date: 11/4/2013 2:32:58 PM
Vehicle: Hetzer
Exp: 1,048 (x2) Credits: 10,133
Achievements: : Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

So, despite that the T-28 leads to the heavy lines, I decided to jump to the medium lines in a vain attempt to minimize the XP hit from retraining. As a result, my first tier 5 is a T-34 that is completely stock except for the gun, which amusingly carried over from the T-28. Right now it's more sluggish than the upgraded T-28, but I managed to delay score a couple of kills and hold up a bunch of tanks, which included a Wolverine and a VK30.01H, on the Himmelsdorf hill long enough for the rest of the team to capture the base on my first match, so I'm satisfied with it.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

When you mount the long 57mm gun for the T-34 it's great. Sub 2 second reload if you mount a shell rammer, decent penetration, and a reasonably mobile platform.

I have a 64% winrate in it.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Getting really frustrated today, seems like no matter what I do I end up with a shitty team most of the time. That and my arty refuses to hit a damn thing no matter how I aim it.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Simon_Jester wrote:In the American tree, what would you say are the differences between the turreted TDs and the corresponding tanks? At low tier, the M8A1, T49, M10, M18, and M36 are lightly armored and would be most closely compared to medium tanks. At higher tiers, the turreted TDs seem to act more like heavies.
This is pretty much accurate, although it's important to notice that they're still definitely TDs. They're overgunned and awkward to use with slow turrets and hull turning. The only one I can think of that's worth much in a close range slugfest is the T30 because you'll have time to get that off and the alpha difference is far greater than the difference in hit point pool between you and the other tanks.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Played 7/42s today with a team made up mostly of current and former members of the Reddit clans. We went with no organization, no planning, and no regard for optimizing team comp - I drove a KV-5 a lot, and we once went in with a team made of straight Type 59s, mixed no armor TDs and premium tanks with impunity.

We went 24-2-1. This game mode is amazing.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Scottish Ninja wrote:Played 7/42s today with a team made up mostly of current and former members of the Reddit clans. We went with no organization, no planning, and no regard for optimizing team comp - I drove a KV-5 a lot, and we once went in with a team made of straight Type 59s, mixed no armor TDs and premium tanks with impunity.

We went 24-2-1. This game mode is amazing.
It's amazing because autosearch=autolose.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Vendetta wrote:The 3001P is so bad I got Ace Tanker in it by accident. It took that low an amount to get that I did it on a terrible frustrating game where only 5/18 shots caused any damage. (the rest was spotting damage).

Everybody says this tank sucks, and I don't get why, I really liked it, it was actually the first German tank that I didn't hate. My best match to date was in the 3001 (P), where I went on a ten kill spree and single handedly won the game for my team.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The only tier 6s I hated more than the 3001P were the Churchill VII and ARL V39. In any situation, I'd rather be in any other tier 6 barring those other two. It's huge, the armor is ineffective due to being mostly flat, it has lthe lowest hitpoints of any of the german tier 6 meds, and it hasn't got a big enough advantage in speed or firepower to make up for it in my eyes.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I just love the T7 Car. Not to drive it, but to have it in front of my T18. It's never been easier to score a cool-headed medal. It seems that there is a special kind of noobs driving the T7 now. I know I can't expect much when playing low tier, but come on! I've played games where I did 7-8 kills, mostly taking them down from full health, and still my team lost. There was a game where I got about 150 more xp than the best on the other team, and they won!
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
Vendetta wrote:The 3001P is so bad I got Ace Tanker in it by accident. It took that low an amount to get that I did it on a terrible frustrating game where only 5/18 shots caused any damage. (the rest was spotting damage).

Everybody says this tank sucks, and I don't get why, I really liked it, it was actually the first German tank that I didn't hate. My best match to date was in the 3001 (P), where I went on a ten kill spree and single handedly won the game for my team.
It's sluggish to accelerate, making its top speed less useful for early position control, enormous which makes it harder to use concealment, ridges, and makes for bad camo, has piss all armour, and the lowest HP of any tier 6 medium.

The only thing it has going for it is that it's now the only german tier 6 medium that can mount the 88mm, but the short 88 has bad pen and the tank can't safely and reliably get into the positions it needs to be to use a 132 pen gun due to poor accel and being xbox hueg.

I'm just glad of the x5 weekend that has drastically shortened the time it'll take to get rid of the thing.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zwinmar wrote:Getting really frustrated today, seems like no matter what I do I end up with a shitty team most of the time. That and my arty refuses to hit a damn thing no matter how I aim it.
Friends don't let friends play arty. It's really hard to have a consistent impact on the game in arty because of their inaccuracy, the RNG of HE shells, and their long load times.

Also, below tier 8 all teams are shitty.

If you want something doing in World of Tanks, you need to do it yourself.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

If you want to have good games consistently, play the Jagdpanther II. I've never driven a tank that reliably carries so damn hard.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

The Vortex Empire wrote:If you want to have good games consistently, play the Jagdpanther II. I've never driven a tank that reliably carries so damn hard.
I just got it, top engine and radio already researched. Which gun do you recommend for the 128mm grind?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The 105mm, but I free-xped the 128 so I never had to use the other guns. I can't imagine it'll be very good before the 128mm, but once you get that 128mm it becomes god. Higher rate of fire and better gun handling than the same gun on the E-100, Maus, or Ferdinand, despite having half as many loaders as any of them.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Vortex Empire wrote:If you want to have good games consistently, play the Jagdpanther II. I've never driven a tank that reliably carries so damn hard.
Which is funny, because I find the tank incredibly finicky. It's brilliant right up until your team inevitably melts and someone looks at you. It's a fun machine, but I find it hugely difficult to carry in because it has no stealth and no ability to resist gunfire. When things are going well, it's brilliant. When things aren't, you might as well have brought a paperweight.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

At first glance, it has no ability to resist gunfire. Then you realize that the casemate is 120 on the outside and 150 around the mantlet, both at a truly absurd angle that results in them bouncing damn near everything when angled, and the high gun placement makes it fairly easy to hull down over bumps and stuff. It's not a great brawler, but much better than most TDs since it can also outturn damn near anything trying to circle it.

19 battles in I'm running a 74% w/r, 42% survival, 2,338 average damage. It's also earning more average xp than any other tank in my garage, and outperforming several tier 9s and even two tier 10s for damage.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I do so love when I have people freakin message me after a game blaming me for a loss, when I said in the match 'unplayable lag, sorry guys'. Like I have any control of my internet connection (I'm at college, not home).
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

wotreplays wasn't accepting this for a while, but here's my last match in the T-28. 5 kills and last tank standing. Not a bad send off.

http://wotreplays.com/site/411645
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

The Vortex Empire wrote:19 battles in I'm running a 74% w/r, 42% survival, 2,338 average damage. It's also earning more average xp than any other tank in my garage, and outperforming several tier 9s and even two tier 10s for damage.
60 battles in, I'm running a 40% win rate, 21% survival and 1.6k average damage. My two matches today are good examples. In the first, owing to complete incompetence on the part of my team, I was expected to hold off 5 barely blemished T8 tanks that had gone through our defensive line with no trouble whatsoever. In the second, history was repeating itself until a medium came up and perma-tracked me. Going hull down in it is almost pointless because its hull is the size of the Titanic. Sure, you can cover the lower glacis, but the upper one lets shells in, shows them all your valuables and then shows them out the back. When it works, it *works*. When it doesn't, it's utterly useless.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Victory!
Map: Ensk
Date: 11/6/2013 12:44:58 PM
Vehicle: Marder 38T
Exp: 1,588 (x2) Credits: 13,500
Achievements: : Top Gun, Sniper, Master Gunner, Sharpshooter, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Turned this battle around by myself. We were losing at mid game.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Need some advice: What is the role of a Tier V heavy in a Tier VII match? I would say at least 75% of the matches I am in in my heavies are that way (have the T1 heavy, KV1, VK 30.01 H, and Churchill I)