World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Vendetta »

You can get a bit of damage around the edges, support the top tiers on your side, add numbers (and HP) to a flank, etc.

There does seem to be a large preponderance of being bottom tier at the moment though, and heavies suffer a little more through lack of mobility. Being in a medium gives you a few more options.

Speaking of options, ace tanker in the AMX 13-90, largely achieved through tweaking the noses of things higher tier and lots larger than me then running away.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The hits keep rolling tonight. Straight up bottom tier and still manage third on damage, confederate, and three of my own kills.

And most people would say I'm using the "wrong" gun on this tank.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've found ways to make the KV-1 work when I'm at bottom of the list, same with the T-150. Slow they may be, but they (when bottom) are also typically ignored I've noticed. Thus, it is quite possible to work with bigger tanks (the ones getting focused on) to hit weakpoints on higher tanks while they are ignoring you.

Or just luck out and hit the other teams bottom tanks. That helps too.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Now those are impressive results, Vendetta. Did you use APCR with the AMX 13-90?
So you're GloatingSwine in the game? I'm... um, krakonfour. Mind if I add you?
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

As of right now, even without the top tier gun, I am enjoying the Churchill I more than the KV1,...might change when i get the KV1 fully upgraded.

The church sits lower so that might have somthing to do with it.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

krakonfour wrote:Now those are impressive results, Vendetta. Did you use APCR with the AMX 13-90?
So you're GloatingSwine in the game? I'm... um, krakonfour. Mind if I add you?
No, AMX 13-90 is one of the few tanks that has no gold loaded, because the 40 second clip reload means that you can't switch out ammo types to match the situation, you have to plan that switch 40 seconds in advance, and a lot can happen in that time. It would have to be all APCR if I was going to use any. (If I'd been in my WZ-132 I would have HEATed up that E-75 and wouldn't have to dig down the hill to get at the soft flabby rear of the M103, which would have let me exfil much quicker. Exit strategy is important in lights.)

Yeah, you can add me ingame, I tend to be on evenings UK time. I've been on a bit of a roll recently, ace tanker badges dropping all over the place, had an even higher score than that in the T-34-2 a few days ago as well, pity it was a draw. Got Radley Walters and Defender just couldn't hunt down the last arty in time.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zwinmar wrote:As of right now, even without the top tier gun, I am enjoying the Churchill I more than the KV1,...might change when i get the KV1 fully upgraded.

The church sits lower so that might have somthing to do with it.
You do need the upgrades for the KV-1 (for most tanks, really), the 85mm gun performs very very well, and can certainly upset even tier 7 tanks. (KV-1 is my most played tank, I used to use it as my credit farmer before I got any premiums, so I've seen a lot of action in it as bottom tier, many is the Tiger P that has had a nasty surprise when I consistently pop his commanders hatch or lower glacis).
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yep. 85mm really makes the KV-1 a monster at its tier, and a threat to the bigger guys. I still use it (and the ELC/T-150) as my credit farmer since I'm too cheap to get a Premium tank.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I recently sold mine to replace it with a T-34, which is a bit more fun because it can actually, y'know, move.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i kinda just did the opposite of that. 1 finally finished the POS type-T-34 and rebought the KV-2 to use the 70k xp that was left sitting on it to unlock the S-51.

i also sold my black prince because i haven't really played it in a month, it's crew hasn't left the TOG. so i traded the BP in for the ARL-V39 which i've heard mixed views about, but it leads to good tanks.

i'm holding off playing it until i put the 200k suspension equipment on it, no way am i grinding 5k xp with a sub 100 pen 75mm at tier 6 when i have the 90 and 105 unlocked.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

POS you say?

That wasn't even a particularly special game in the T-34, it's just a good all round tank, and more fun to drive than the KV-1.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

He said Type T-34, not T-34.Though really the Type is pretty good.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

On the KV-1, Typer T-34 and russian T-34, I used the 57mm gun.
Ridiculous gun in my opinion. 2.2 second reload, 0.34 acc means I can nails pretty much anything that doesn't shoot back.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

You want a stupid gun, look at any of the guns the Pz.Sfl. VIc can equip. That thing can beast if you get a team that knows what spotting is.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Aww looks like the Chinese M5A1 Stuart has been nerfed in matchmaking during my abscence. Not it just appears to be OK instead of being ridiculously overpowered it felt like cheating during low tier matches (but oh so fun).
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Jub wrote:He said Type T-34, not T-34.Though really the Type is pretty good.
They're not functionally different enough in most situations to say one is good and one bad, an extra 3 degrees of gun depression on the T-34 is good in some circumstances, but the performance of the tanks is basically identical most of the time.

I don't think they've changed the M5A1, WG continue to insist that scout MM doesn't need changing despite the fact that the advantages that lights are supposed to possess are basically trivial compared to mediums which do everything better.

And I say this as someone who enjoys high tier light tank play.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

They even nerfed light tank camo recently, removing any point to playing a high tier light when mediums are pretty much flat out better in every situation.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, you really have to specifically want to play the lights. They are still fun, but not as versatile as mediums.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

After this, I'm ready to say my life is one step closer to completion. At least as far as WoT is concerned:

Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region 11/7/2013 5:06:34 PM
Vehicle: T95
Experience received: 3,746 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 66,210
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Cool-Headed, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Murovanka 11/7/2013 7:03:33 PM
Vehicle: ST-I
Experience received: 1,018
Credits received: 33,837
Battle Achievements: Confederate

I love when a match comes together. Especially a match with mostly Tier 10's.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Ghetto EDIT: And very next battle, I get in a shoot-off with a T110E3 and neither of us can pen the other one. That's a first.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

If you're face on to a T110E3 either load gold and go for the lower plate, or go somewhere else. It's one of the worst slugging matches to get into because of how tough the front is.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Here are the teams I am getting:

Yes, I got rushed by a Ferdinand and AMX 50 100 because no-one was on the hill.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Vendetta wrote:If you're face on to a T110E3 either load gold and go for the lower plate, or go somewhere else. It's one of the worst slugging matches to get into because of how tough the front is.
Addendum to that, don't shoot at the cupola on an E3. The cupola is a trap, 229mm thick and sharply angled from the front. The two weak points from the front are the lower plate and the vision ports above and to the left of the gun, assuming you're looking at it head on, but the vision slits are a much smaller target.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I was in a position where the E3 could only hit my turret, but if I tried to move he could hit my more vulnerable areas. So that's why it turned into a slugging match, with the occasional shot at someone stupid enough to drive behind him. It was more stupidity on the part of the E3 for not pushing forward to dislodge me from my position, and letting a T-62 sneak up behind him, that let me survive that match.