Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: Let's Play X-COM: UFO Defense!

Post by PeZook »

Hah! See, guys? Not only do you have to wear obscene gimp armor, you also get brutally slaughtered and get your faces stuffed full of alien wing-wong.

Should've sucked Peptuck's cock like I did and become interceptor pilots!

Uh, did I just say it out loud?
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
fnord
Jedi Knight

Post by fnord »

Yes, you did - the phrase 'back alley hooker' comes to mind. Least me and the boyz have been busy, building crap left right and centre.
Chris OFarrell wrote: OHHH! Can I join up and be one of the smart ass wise cracking engineers who has the horrible job of trying to convert alien equations the scientists give me, into real weapons systems?
Chris, your application as interface chewtoy has been gladly accepted - you go talk to the propellerheads and keep them out of my a) hair and b) liquor cabinet.
A mad person thinks there's a gateway to hell in his basement. A mad genius builds one and turns it on. - CaptainChewbacca
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Alright a suitably actuated body has now been developed. Wire up what's left of me to a powersuit. Robo Darkevil demands vengeance, a laser rifle and plasma grenades.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

PeZook wrote:Hah! See, guys? Not only do you have to wear obscene gimp armor, you also get brutally slaughtered and get your faces stuffed full of alien wing-wong.

Should've sucked Peptuck's cock like I did and become interceptor pilots!

Uh, did I just say it out loud?
Ha, you've got nothin' on me. Interceptor pilots can be shot down and horribly raeped, while I sit back at base and munchy and drinky and explode stuff with large guns from a large distance.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

The Defenestrator wrote:
Peptuck wrote:[bringing AC-HE and lasers to a terror mission]
If these turn out to be Mutons, we're in trouble.
Awful soon, isn't it? We haven't been dealing with Snakemen for long.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hawkwings wrote: Ha, you've got nothin' on me. Interceptor pilots can be shot down and horribly raeped, while I sit back at base and munchy and drinky and explode stuff with large guns from a large distance.
If you are shot down pursuing a UFO at Mach 10, there ain't gonna be anything left for the aliens to anally probe.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

erik_t wrote: Awful soon, isn't it? We haven't been dealing with Snakemen for long.
Mutons and Snakemen start appearing at the same time.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Oh. Guess I've been away from the game for a bit too long.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Peptuck wrote:Oh, btw, we now have an Interceptor for our base in Texas. Any volunteers?
I believe the next interceptor belongs to Erik von Nein, as of page 19. I can wait till we get spacecraft to be installed in something. :D
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Bastards, friendly fire after all that? have the clone shot and my addled brain added to a killer robot suit, stat.

Time to lay down some indiscriminate justice.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Yes! Interceptor pilot Erik reporting for duty! Ready to kick some alien ass!

Time to play some sweaty beach vollyball.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

ROBO-Ando Mk1 Alien Lifeform Suppression Device mod.0 (Incendiary Dispersion Unit) block22 (Power Armoured) reporting for duty.

Request deployment to burn some shit up.
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Fuck it. I have to die in some interesting and gruesome fashion! Plus I want to watch everyone deal with two different Eriks.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

We need to alternate you from mission to mission between intercept and infantry duties.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Can we rename the interceptor that RoboPhred pilots "Forever Man"?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:Can we rename the interceptor that RoboPhred pilots "Forever Man"?
If we continue with the idea that I am anything like my av it should probably be called the 'Voot Cruiser' :P

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Nairobi before X-COM's arrival.

After.

Liberty and safety never looked so good.

The good news was, we weren't fighting Snakemen again. Instead, we were up against Sectoids. Yay!

The men were considering dubbing Hawkwings' tank the "Porta-Raep" for the sheer amount of xenos face-fucking it was doing as this battle progressed. Roughly two-thirds of the enemy killed were slaughtered by his missiles.

This cyberdisc took two sectoids with it.

It took a few well-placed rifle shots to down some of the other sectoids, of which I didn't get any good screenshots. I prefer to imagine they simply commited suicide against our lasers and autocannons when faced with the prospect of facing the Porta-Raep in battle.

Stark got a cyberdisc with a beautiful heavy laser shot from across the map, through smoke, debris, and a store window. The above is the aftermath.

Reports of civilian casualties mixed in amongst the annihilation of the invaders are but rumors and lies spread by some British xeno sympathizer in a cheap suit hiding in phone booths.

We managed to bag a few of the bastards alive, with our stun bomb launchers, though none of them were of command rank.

The last sectoid was hiding out in a gas station. We didn't realize this until the Porta-Raep was assfucked itself by a sectoid hiding amongst the pumps. Robo-Haven, who had taken to one of the rooftops to provide heavenly missile justice, blew apart the roof of the gas station, setting off several of the pumps. In the smoke and confusion, we closed in to try and subdue the alien, and finished it with a pair of stunbombs.

Sadly, the xeno was not of command rank either.

Apparently, the Kenyans didn't appreciate our delicate handling of their horrid xenos infestation.

Post Mission Analysis: MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better. The use of heavy, creeping barrages of autocannon fire, missiles, and rockets kept the aliens at bay, cleared out their cyberdiscs, and enabled us to catch several of the aliens in the open where our stun bombs dropped them. Though we didn't get any valuable captives out of this, this mission did serve as a good example of the tactics we should use while hunting more valuable prey.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Karza
Jedi Knight

Post by Karza »

It's always a good sign when the amount of alien corpses recovered is smaller than the amount of aliens killed. It speaks of the right mentality :D . Still, 6 aliens killed and 3 captured? Seems to be a little on the small side for a terror mission.
"Death before dishonour" they say, but how much dishonour are we talking about exactly? I mean, I can handle a lot. I could fellate a smurf if the alternative was death.
- Dylan Moran
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

And still the xenos kill more people than your troopers- it is like they are specifically targeting the civilians... oh.

Where is that image from? The high usage of incendiaries means it can't be from our troopers- the ash would block out any attempts to capture images. Also, there are a large number of buildings still standing!
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Karza wrote:It's always a good sign when the amount of alien corpses recovered is smaller than the amount of aliens killed. It speaks of the right mentality :D . Still, 6 aliens killed and 3 captured? Seems to be a little on the small side for a terror mission.
I'm pretty certain that the two killed by the exploding cyberdisc didn't "count."

Fortunately, civilians killed by exploding cyberdiscs don't count toward "Civilians killed by X-COM" either.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
erik_t
Jedi Master

Post by erik_t »

Peptuck wrote:TOTAL.....................................................................-44

Post Mission Analysis: MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better.
This is an interesting philosophy.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

From the perspective of 'Less than 57% casualties,' yes, it was.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Samuel wrote:Where is that image from?
Looks like Independence Day.

I dunno about the gas station. It still looks fairly intact to me.

Erik von Nein
Jedi Council Member

Post by Erik von Nein »

Pretty sure that image is from Hellgate London.
"To make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe."
— Carl Sagan

Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Now that you clearly have tool and equipment I can get behind, I want to sign up join this merry circus of retards.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.