World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by xthetenth »

I can see being spotted and penned easily, but the long 88 is plenty at tier 8 for pen and significantly better than most mediums get as well as being pretty accurate. Good shooting should be enough to penetrate most threats. It's enough on the Indien Panzer in my experience and that thing has much worse gun handling.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Victory!
Battle: Arctic Region 11/17/2013 6:13:00 PM
Vehicle: ST-I
Experience received: 1,427
Credits received: 54,424
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

Now THAT was a nice match. Got in that little rock formation halfway down the valley, and the only thing that could hurt me was the arty thanks to my turret being so well armored. That includes an M103 and IS-8 shooting me. Only a couple missed shots kept it from being a Top Gun match too (I got four kills). I took 35 hits and 13k potential damage. Dished out 4k damage in return. Just a great match all around.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

xthetenth wrote:I can see being spotted and penned easily, but the long 88 is plenty at tier 8 for pen and significantly better than most mediums get as well as being pretty accurate. Good shooting should be enough to penetrate most threats. It's enough on the Indien Panzer in my experience and that thing has much worse gun handling.
Well, I have researched the E-50, but think I will wait a while buying it. E-100 comes first, and I'm still having some pretty awesome fights with the E-75 (and some really bad ones as well), so I will probably wait a few weeks before buying that as well. Real life has caught up with me and I have much less time now than I used to.

I played PantherII all sunday to get enough xp to research the E-50. When I tried to play a bit aggressively, I got killed fast, when I tried to hold back and be a long distance sniper, a platoon mate reported me for being too passive and went all out on me. I guess you just can't please them all.

BTW: I found an easter egg in Komarin. Unbeneath a rock in the water, there is a skeleton. You won't have time to find it while playing, so do some team training and see if you can find it.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Regarding bad players. I encountered this guy in a game. Seemed like afk in a bush. Pretty bad stats. How can you have 25% wins with T18?
http://worldoftanks.eu/community/accoun ... 16-red0me/
This got to be a bot playing most of the time.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Probably.

But you're not really in a position to throw stones when it comes to battle performance though, anyone would think you AFKd (or worse) your way through 300 games in the IS-4, after all.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I'm convinced that a fair proportion of players intentionally try to lose, there's no other way to explain some of the stuff I commonly see in game from people who clearly aren't bots.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Funny, I just had a match like that, platoon of 2 ELC's (38% @12k and 37% @7k) TK'd our arty right off the bat and then harassed two more of our heavies until they got TK'd themselves because "I like stirring shit up"
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Oi...I hate 'players' like that. Pointless to the extreme, and crippling to the team (waste shells to kill them at the best...hope to God they don't kill half your team at worst).
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Vendetta wrote:Probably.

But you're not really in a position to throw stones when it comes to battle performance though, anyone would think you AFKd (or worse) your way through 300 games in the IS-4, after all.
Well, I've almost stopped playing the IS-4, as I never really got the hang of it, as you can see, but I never went AFK in it. I really try to learn it. The same with my G.W.Panther. It was difficult to play earlier, and after the nerf it's just collecting dust in my garage. I play it maybe once every second month.

If you guys could tell me how to play the IS-4, I would be happy. Maybe a video or something. Funny I do so well in T7 Car, because I hate that thing, but then again, I have only 18 battles with it. It is hardly enough games to make a representative number.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Without looking at vehicle specific stuff, all I can say is whatever you're doing, pretty much not that.

I don't have specific knowledge of high tier brawler heavy play, being more of a medium and light player at heart, but if you put up a set of replays I'll be able to take a look and see if I can make any suggestions.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm about halfway through the ST-1, and it is my preferred play style so I might be able to help once I hit the IS-4. Then again, I'm not sure how well I'll do in it yet.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I don't think it needs to be tank specific, put up a batch of E-75 replays if that's what you're playing, because at your current level most of the things your play is lacking probably transfer well.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

You don't want to play a brawler heavy at tier ten with that low alpha right now if you're really into stats. It's total TD bait.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

I'd consider going up that line for the ST-I myself, but the KV-4 is too horrific for me to attempt that again. I could only stand it for 30 or so battles before selling it from frustration. Incredibly slow, mediocre gun, and the armor is all flat so it only works when top tier. If the IS-4 was good it'd be reason enough to power through it, but based on everything I've seen it just seems like a mediocre tank. Slow, weak frontal armor, unexceptional firepower. Used to be a monster when it was a tier 9, but not anymore.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

xthetenth wrote:You don't want to play a brawler heavy at tier ten with that low alpha right now if you're really into stats. It's total TD bait.
Indeed. Even the E5 isn't doing so hot in the current meta. It's all giant TD guns and autoloaders. At least the E-100 is still fun, since it has alpha + loads of health + actual working armor.

Like 90% of the problem is from the maps, though. They're all so tiny, and made up entirely of chokepoints.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

ST-1 is a very fun tank really (and probably the first on that line since the T-150 I'm actually keeping). Took a bit to get the hang of things (thus my somewhat low winrate), but certainly worth it.

IS-4 I remember having fun with on the last test server I did, but who knows if it will stay that way or not. It will still be the first Tier 10 I get by default, since I'm so far along towards getting it though.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

IS-4 is the gimp of the tier 10 heavies at the moment. TBH I'd stick with the ST-I, which is very good for its tier, rather than buying the IS-4 which is bad for its.

There's no rule that says you have to buy a vehicle just because you've researched it, after all. (I have the FV4202 researched but can't think of a reason I'd actually want one.)

On the other hand, being the gimp of the tier doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to achieve in it, you just wouldn't be able to farm all the purple points like you could in one of the vehicles favoured by the meta right now, and you'd probably be frustrated by feeling like your tier 10 isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Kinda like me in my Churchill VII?
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Vendetta wrote:IS-4 is the gimp of the tier 10 heavies at the moment. TBH I'd stick with the ST-I, which is very good for its tier, rather than buying the IS-4 which is bad for its.

There's no rule that says you have to buy a vehicle just because you've researched it, after all. (I have the FV4202 researched but can't think of a reason I'd actually want one.)

On the other hand, being the gimp of the tier doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to achieve in it, you just wouldn't be able to farm all the purple points like you could in one of the vehicles favoured by the meta right now, and you'd probably be frustrated by feeling like your tier 10 isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I played quite a bit with the IS4 and just didn't find it worthy of tier 10 material.
First off, the armor. It's a tier 10 heavy tank that gets penetrated from the front, at any angle, by tier 8 guns... throught the UFP. Even the faster, lighter IS7 has better armor.

The gun depression is better than the IS7, but its not good enough for hulldown.

The speed... is horrible. Only slightly faster than an E100 unless you give it a long straight road.

And on top of all this, the gun ain't great. It's the sort of gun that has no defining points. DPM is too low to brawl, accuracy too low to snipe, and the aim time likes messing up your snap shots.

The only advantages of this tank are the turret and side armor, and maybe hitpoints unless you're being whacked by arty for 800 a shot (replace now by TDs for 850-2300) a shot.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Zwinmar wrote:Kinda like me in my Churchill VII?
Churchill 7 is also a gimp tank. The gun is woeful for a tier 6 heavy.

The British heavy line is one of the hardest to do well in, because they're either slow and undergunned or poorly protected and undergunned until tier 9.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Hmm...maybe I should try out the IS-4 again on the next test server before I commit to grinding all the money I'll need.

I do have the Tiger (H) unlocked, so I can just get it and go for the E-100 if the IS-4 does suck so that I can get a heavy that I'll do well with (heavy armor that actually works? Yes please).
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Yeah, I raced to get the IS-4 while it was still tier IX, so that I would get a tier X "for free" when the tech tree changed and then I didn't find it so great. This was a while ago, when all was talking about russian bias, so I thought they would be the best. I wish I'd gone for the american tree instead... I had a lot of free xp and used it to get to IS-3, and from there I played like crazy a month to get the IS-4. Made it with 3 days to spare. :) Kinda like the KV-5. Before everybody knew to aim for the R2-D2, it was awesome, but now it must be played with a lot more caution.

Well, yeah. My impression with the IS-4 is that it dies quickly in contact with other tier X now. It used to be really good, but others have dethroned it, but then again, I shouldn't really talk too much about it, since I suck in it. Trying to play my IS-8 more like a medium with some success, but not too much. My best games in IS-8, is when I platoon with 2 friends: Me with IS-8, another in his E-50 and the third with his french tier 9.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

For anyone who still wants to see some good scouting, This replay has me and the ELC rack up 8300 spotting damage between us (and the Patton next to me contributed 1800 as well)

Thanks to us showing our team all the things they could sit and wail away from the base and the enemy team did basically no damage.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Just bought a B1. Holy shit, this tank is bad. I wouldn't mind the sluggishness and lack of armor if the gun was any good, but having upgraded to the middle gun that seems to be a no go. Maybe the top gun will be different, but man this is looking like a brutal grind.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

B1 is pretty atrocious, yes. Crap gun, slow, and the armor isn't very effective.