World of Tanks

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Beta

Post by Tolya »

Got in yesterday. My handle is "Tolya". Doing the US tree for now, I almost have enough creds for something different than a T1 deathtrap. Any suggestions?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Go the medium route for the Lee and then Sherman, which also lets you branch off into the heavies if that suits your fancy.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Go the medium route for the Lee and then Sherman, which also lets you branch off into the heavies if that suits your fancy.
Be warned, though, that the matchmaking monkey hates the Lee. I consistently wind up facing multiple IS-x's and VKs with my Lee. And it is a TD, not a tank - a fast, highly visible, unarmored TD. Use it as a sniper, not a brawler.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Go the medium route for the Lee and then Sherman, which also lets you branch off into the heavies if that suits your fancy.
Add a hell yes to that
The only American option is the M1-M2-M3 Lee route once your at the Lee you can get the Tier 4 artillery, the Tier 6 Heavy and the Tier 6 Medium. It gives you access to all the late game tanks in one easy path.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I now have the 122mm gun on the IS. And it is good.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I have a T34 now and it is...hilarious.

OH MY GOD I HIT A SLIGHT SLOPE

*Artillery shell lands on head*

:P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

PeZook wrote:I have a T34 now and it is...hilarious.

OH MY GOD I HIT A SLIGHT SLOPE

*Artillery shell lands on head*

:P
Don't worry, when you get that thing fully upgraded you'll realize it's an overgrown light tank and a really good one at that. Oh, and it can hurt tigers. I love that thing, took out a tiger 1v1 more than once in it with full upgrades and that 57mm gun.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Really? The better engine only has 20 more HP, and installing someting better than the stock L11 gun will increase weight by 600 kilos or so, so I was under the impression its performance will stay pretty much the same.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I've noticed that 20bhp does make a difference. After all, horsepower is not as reliable indicator of tank engine worth as torque, which, sadly, is not mentioned anywhere. I do wonder if they implemented it, since I noticed that my M2 really started moving when I implemented an engine that is only 20 bhp stronger.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Lee is frustrating, I wasnt prepared for a tank destroyer style gameplay it requires. Its quite sturdy tho so you can play some role even among the heavy hitters.

I rolled back and bought an M2 light tank and Im having a blast.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Got my T1 heavy last night. Holy fuck, it's nice having a turret again.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I envy you. But I guess everyone who chooses the US tree has to do some time in Lee. Like bearing a cross.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:I envy you. But I guess everyone who chooses the US tree has to do some time in Lee. Like bearing a cross.
Get the fast firing 75mm. It does great damage, when you end up as the top Tier 4 tank you get to dominate because you have a gun that does gobs of damage and fires every three seconds or so. And during the heavy matches you get to have fun playing TD and shooting up Tier 5-7's. You can totally kill any Tier 5 or Tier 6. There are Tier 7 tanks you can kill and there are Tier 7 tanks you can't touch. Panthers are an XP mine for example since you can down one in three shots or so if you get angle on him. And with the quick firing 75mm as long as you get off the first shot your sure to get the next two before he gets off a kill shot in return. IS-3's.... not so much. In fact stay away from anything not a KV or Tiger.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Really? I got the fast firing 75 and Im under the impression that I can barely penetrate the armor of the tanks Im throw into the fray with.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:Really? I got the fast firing 75 and Im under the impression that I can barely penetrate the armor of the tanks Im throw into the fray with.
Your doing to do dick frontally and there are tanks like the IS you can't touch. But from the side/rear you can sure as heck hurt

M6
Sherman (Both versions)
KV
KV-1S
VK-3001 (H and P)
VK-3601
Tiger I
Panther
Jagpanther

In order words any tank with 60mm or less of armor in a spot you can hurt and hurt easily. You can penetrate 70mm most times if your facing them close to 90* 76mm and below you can do. 80mm and above tanks you will hurt but takes 10+ shots to kill so don't even bother.
T-29 (Rear shots)
KV-3 (Rear only)

Anything Tier 8 except the Panther you can't hurt same thing with 9 and 10.

Dark Hellion
Permanent n00b

Post by Dark Hellion »

Can someone explain how spotting works in brief. I always feel like the enemy can see me much more easily than I can see them, even when I am hiding in foliage and they are in the open.
A teenage girl is just a teenage boy who can get laid.
-GTO

We're not just doing this for money; we're doing this for a shitload of money!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Spotting range depends on the tank (each type has different max range) and skills of the commander. Hence a good light tanks with a 100% commander will be able to spot a great many things that the same tank with a 50% commander will miss.

Also, your battle management software radio power is important, as it allows you to datalink via satellite receive enemy positions from other scouts.

D.Turtle
Jedi Council Member

Post by D.Turtle »

Ah, finally found the thread I was looking for: Visibility and Camouflage System.

That should help understand the system.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I don't get the match-making rules. They should encourage you to get a better tank. And in the US tech tree its not working. With M2 light you get fun matches with similarly tiered tanks. But they M3 Stuart and suddenly you're around heavy hitters with nothing more than an M2 with a slightly better frontal armor.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

And I found Lee to be quite competent... if your teammates are half decent. Since Lee relies on using spotted targets and planning your movement around what others see, if you can form a wolfpack with someone it can work wonders.

Otherwise you are just another target.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Finally got an M4 Sherman. Off to test it.
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

The Sherman's a pretty good tank once it's upgraded. Good god, it needs to be upgraded.

I got the T-29 the other night, haven't really had too much time to do more than kick the tires, but it's nice having a tank that can laugh off fire for once. My T-44 is many, many things, and I loves it, but it can't do the frontal assault thing well at all.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

The T29's ability to take a hit, just like all US heavies past the M6, will be getting nerfed hard the next patch. IS players were complaining that the dominance of the IS series was in jeopardy, so the devs are stepping in.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

Just upgraded with the 105mm gun. Slow to reload and aim, but my god, does it pack a punch.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Tolya wrote:Just upgraded with the 105mm gun. Slow to reload and aim, but my god, does it pack a punch.
It's nice being able to hurt Tier 9 tanks
To the side/rear anyway