World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Zinegata »

I can only repeat my commentary on the VK 3601H's awesomeness through averageness so many times :P
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Speaking of the VK3601, where should I shoot the thing frontally with a Churchill or E2 Sherman? Was doing okay shoring up a flank in my Church in a tier 6 match, when I got outflanked by a VK. Had enough time to get two shots off, but they both bounced, so I need to figure out where to put them to at least let him know I was there next time.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I'd say the VK3601H's turret hatch is really the only sure bet with the E2 or Churchill. But I do tend to aim for hatches way too often :P.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Vejut wrote:Speaking of the VK3601, where should I shoot the thing frontally with a Churchill or E2 Sherman? Was doing okay shoring up a flank in my Church in a tier 6 match, when I got outflanked by a VK. Had enough time to get two shots off, but they both bounced, so I need to figure out where to put them to at least let him know I was there next time.
Lower plate, machine port, drivers hatch, or the entire front if it's not angled. The upper plate is only 100mm unsloped, so the Churchill or E2 can punch right through it at a 90 degree angle.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So today some idiot tried to kill me. Normally that would be annoying, but this one was frustrating and enraging, since it was a teammate. There I was in my M37, aiming at the city in Highway and waiting for allied scouts to meet up with the enemy scouts, and this guy with a PzIIIA shoots me, killing my gunner and taking out a third of my health. I think at first that it was just an accident, so I keep aiming. Then a second or two later (probably his reload time) he shoots me again, killing my driver. I panic and enter self defense mode, switch back to normal view, and put a shell right into the heart of his tank. Boom.

I've submitted a support ticket complete with replay because he threatened to report me, though I know that if he had got me before I got him the Marder II right next to me would've killed him instead.

Fucking teamkillers. I'm surprised I managed to get two kills in that battle, since my aim time was shit for the rest of it.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

So in 8.1, they're making gold ammo purchasable with credits, at the normal exchange rate of 1 gold = 400 credits. So for a tier 10, 4,000 credits per shot. Seems like a good move to me, since gold ammo was a real in-game advantage for money, something that should never be in a game. I'd prefer removing it altogether, but this works, I guess. I don't think we'll see people using nothing but gold ammo, since the costs would be rather extreme, fire 10 shots and you're down 40,000 credits.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

That's really good then. Glad to hear it! Though, I wonder if that'd overpower Premium vehicles. The KV-5 and Super Pershing especially, since they've got great armor but terrible guns. Now, with Gold, they can break even or make a slight profit, and overcome one of their main weaknesses.

I do like having a few gold rounds on hand for emergencies though. So this'll be great.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Imperial528 wrote: Fucking teamkillers. I'm surprised I managed to get two kills in that battle, since my aim time was shit for the rest of it.
If their name doesn't go blue, don't shoot back.

You'll lose relatively little for the death since you get compensated for team damage, but if you shoot them and their name's not blue that gets recorded as team damage for you. Do it often enough and you're a recognised team damager.
Tekore
Redshirt

Post by Tekore »

Vendetta wrote:
Imperial528 wrote: Fucking teamkillers. I'm surprised I managed to get two kills in that battle, since my aim time was shit for the rest of it.

You'll lose relatively little for the death since you get compensated for team damage, but if you shoot them and their name's not blue that gets recorded as team damage for you. Do it often enough and you're a recognized team damager.
What sucks is that (for reasons that don't quite make sense to me) the ‘repayment’ for being team-killed is never ever enough to fix the damage that you take.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Vendetta wrote:

You'll lose relatively little for the death since you get compensated for team damage, but if you shoot them and their name's not blue that gets recorded as team damage for you. Do it often enough and you're a recognised team damager.
Yeah, that's what support told me. But it pisses me off because I highly value contributing to the team, and if I die at the start I'm useless. Not to mention that I miss out on a match because some idiot decides to be an ass.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've had a similar situation in my KV-1 once. Though in this case it was a smaller tank firing up my rear. Kept bouncing so I just ignored them thankfully.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Oh dear, I'm handing out the Bowling Pins emblems like candy. Following my logic of rewarding performing tanks with gubbins, I've scored two Kamikaze kills that amused me greatly.

My Tiger (P) ploughed down hill at 40kph, converting it's last 90HP into a giant facepunch into the side of a T4 arty. The guy knew I was there and couldn't be bothered to turn. I crushes him and me. His rant afterwards was what inspired me to award the Tiger the emblem though, to commemorate my laughter.

My T29 just took out an M103 today as well. Got several rounds into it while it was distracted and when it was limping away, broke cover for a head on downhill ram. Glorious.

Of course, now I need to work out emblems for medals and orders of precendence and all that. Ha-ha! Helping.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Nephtys wrote:That's really good then. Glad to hear it! Though, I wonder if that'd overpower Premium vehicles. The KV-5 and Super Pershing especially, since they've got great armor but terrible guns. Now, with Gold, they can break even or make a slight profit, and overcome one of their main weaknesses.

I do like having a few gold rounds on hand for emergencies though. So this'll be great.
I wouldn't say either of those really have good armor. On paper it's good, but both have huge gaping frontal weakspots that everyone and their grandma knows about. The Super Pershing also has terrible side armor, something the KV-5 at least doesn't have to suffer through.

Gold ammo also isn't as much better than AP as it seems, HEAT receives no armor normalization and APCR loses penetration over range much faster than AP.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

You know...I only have two top gun medals. And that's through no fault of my own. More that every time I whittle a tank down enough to kill it, some opportunistic vulture swoops in and takes the kill. Really getting annoying since I need every kill I can get if I want that half-price 3002 DB this weekend.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:You know...I only have two top gun medals. And that's through no fault of my own. More that every time I whittle a tank down enough to kill it, some opportunistic vulture swoops in and takes the kill. Really getting annoying since I need every kill I can get if I want that half-price 3002 DB this weekend.
You don't get rewarded for kills, just damage. If somebody finishes a guy off for you, honestly they're just saving you the cost of the shell.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Really? Because it seem like when I get more kills I get more XP...maybe that is just the damage...
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

I just fucking love when my team doesn't even pretend to engage a T-50/T-50-2/ELC AMX, which proceeds to murder my Priest/M12/Hummel a minute and a half into the match, and then complain that they have no arty support. Y'know, maybe I'd be more effective if I wasn't fucking DEAD, which I might not be if you stupid fucking baboons hadn't flat-out ignored the scout that just drove by five of you.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

And that is why I make it a point to guard the arty if no one else is. Because it is FAR more important that they survive than me getting a couple kills in the front.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I've had to solo scouts in my M37 after they kill all of the other arty. Or killed the only guy that rushed back to help me. One time I rammed one to kill it.

On the one hand, more kills for me. But they really should avoid letting leaks through, especially since I have to change my aim when it happens.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Which is another reason I hang back to guard Arty when needed. :P
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

My position on the arty guard debate is a bit more nuanced. A tank guarding arty isn't on the frontlines helping the team, and arty should be able to take care of themselves.

That being said, if I spot a scout trying to end-run arty, I do generally encourage quick intercepts.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Arty don't need a bodyguard. If a tank penetrates your lines, you fucked up on the front. And if one flank fails, that's when the mediums and fast movers should double back to intercept, not to leave someone there and thus having less firepower and targets on the front.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I haven't played in for about a month, and I get back on and have a few Average matches. Then my Luch just decides to go on a rampage, 5 kills and a spot in a match that I survived. I'm not sure what it is about that tank, but I do well in it.

Also: Just won a match where some idiot team killed 4 of our players.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Nephtys wrote:Arty don't need a bodyguard. If a tank penetrates your lines, you fucked up on the front. And if one flank fails, that's when the mediums and fast movers should double back to intercept, not to leave someone there and thus having less firepower and targets on the front.

Yeah, I don't need or want a babysitter, but when I watch a scout drive past a third of my team and nobody even tries to shoot at him but me, its a little frustrating. Moreso when those same teammates act like its my fault I'm dead and we're failing.

If you're going to leave me to die, at least have the decency to not blame me for not supporting you when I'm dead.
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

PhilosopherOfSorts wrote:
Nephtys wrote:Arty don't need a bodyguard. If a tank penetrates your lines, you fucked up on the front. And if one flank fails, that's when the mediums and fast movers should double back to intercept, not to leave someone there and thus having less firepower and targets on the front.

Yeah, I don't need or want a babysitter, but when I watch a scout drive past a third of my team and nobody even tries to shoot at him but me, its a little frustrating. Moreso when those same teammates act like its my fault I'm dead and we're failing.

If you're going to leave me to die, at least have the decency to not blame me for not supporting you when I'm dead.
If you're not top tank and you have a viable intercept course on a leaker, it's simply your duty to go after the leaker. Otherwise bye bye arty.