World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by krakonfour »

The problem with these ridiculously low reload times is that spending on a rammer increases the RoF by 10%, so the reload time only goes down by 0.1 to 0.2, and you'll never notice the difference except under sustained firing.
Heck, you won't benefit at all beyond 100m because you can't re-aim fast enough between shots.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Noob question, is it better to hide in a bush or behind a bush?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Xess wrote:I love it when someone calls me a hacker when they don't understand the game. I was playing my Ram II with 100% crew and a gun rammer, and this guy in an M3 couldn't believe how fast my gun could reload.
Run a T-34 with the 57mm and a Rammer and watch the hackusations fly.
One of the reasons I never sold my T-34. It's just so fun at times
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

wautd wrote:Noob question, is it better to hide in a bush or behind a bush?
It is best to be just behind it, so that none of your tank (including the barrel) is sticking out of the bush, but also close enough that it covers you from as wide an angle as possible.
Unless you are sniping in just one direction, in witch case it is best to be 14m behind the bush, so that you can just see through it, and then go just a bit back every time you take a shot.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

krakonfour wrote:The problem with these ridiculously low reload times is that spending on a rammer increases the RoF by 10%, so the reload time only goes down by 0.1 to 0.2, and you'll never notice the difference except under sustained firing.
Heck, you won't benefit at all beyond 100m because you can't re-aim fast enough between shots.
Matilda can reaim between shots :P It's also well enough protected that it can sit and do sustained fire against other tier 4s and below.
wautd wrote:Noob question, is it better to hide in a bush or behind a bush?
Behind the bush.

If you want to fire, back up so the bush is not transparent in sniper view and you won't lose its camo bonus when you fire (although your total camo will go down to about 1/4 of what it is when not firing).

If you can manage it have two bushes between you and the enemy and they probably still won't spot you even if you fire.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

So after finally managing to get an Ace Mastery Badge for the T7 Car (the piece of shit), I junked it and bought a T37 TD. Compared to my old T18, it's a bit of a let down, although the 57mm is nice. I tried the 105mm for a couple matches, but the 12 sec load time made it unwieldy (seriously, my Birch fires faster). Anyway, it's almost fully researched, so my question is, T40 or M8A1?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

If anyone is interrested, I have started a clan with a few of my close friends. We have a Vent server, clan website, and would like to get some good players in to eventually compete in Clan Wars.

The name of the clan is The Naughty Ones. Either reply, PM me, or send application on WoT.

Thanks.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

cadbrowser wrote:If anyone is interrested, I have started a clan with a few of my close friends. We have a Vent server, clan website, and would like to get some good players in to eventually compete in Clan Wars.

The name of the clan is The Naughty Ones. Either reply, PM me, or send application on WoT.

Thanks.
I'm interested, but my playing hours are mostly 12 to 3pm. And no-one is on at those times....
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

krakonfour wrote:The problem with these ridiculously low reload times is that spending on a rammer increases the RoF by 10%, so the reload time only goes down by 0.1 to 0.2, and you'll never notice the difference except under sustained firing.
The Matilda's taper bore gun does very low damage per shot relative to its penetration, so you often find yourself shooting at targets that would take ten or more penetrating hits to put down. Therefore, performance during sustained fire matters.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Object lesson in Pub stupidity...I'm in my ST-1, top of the list. Just killed an FCM and a DB, and was chasing down a nearly dead JP2 and IS-2. Great match right?

Except my team were freakin morons and left the base open to half the enemy team. And the one thing the ST-1 ain't good at is relocating fast. Great match...ruined.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
cadbrowser
Padawan Learner

Post by cadbrowser »

krakonfour wrote:
cadbrowser wrote:If anyone is interrested, I have started a clan with a few of my close friends. We have a Vent server, clan website, and would like to get some good players in to eventually compete in Clan Wars.

Thanks.
I'm interested, but my playing hours are mostly 12 to 3pm. And no-one is on at those times....
What time zone? I have a few peeps that could at least platoon with you during those times...possibly.
Financing and Managing a webcomic called Geeks & Goblins.

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." -Ozzy
"Cheerleaders are dancers who have gone retarded." - Sparky Polastri
"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum." - Frank Nada
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So I got the T110E5 yesterday. It's been pretty great overall but I really do hope they fix the tumor. At least from the front. It's just too damn big a weak spot, now with the accuracy buffs, to be able to enter close-combat conditions. I find myself having to keep more distance between me and the enemy than the other heavies on my team.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

T110E5's tumor is actually fairly well armored. The lower plate and edges of the glacis are substantially bigger weak points.
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

cadbrowser wrote:What time zone? I have a few peeps that could at least platoon with you during those times...possibly.
GMT+1, Eiffel tower time.
Nephtys wrote:T110E5's tumor is actually fairly well armored. The lower plate and edges of the glacis are substantially bigger weak points.
And the upper hull... and the sides... and the turret cheeks.... basically, its a slow Patton with a bigger mantlet. The ammorack smack in the center of tank likes to get hit by everything too.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

Attempts at Art
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Nephtys wrote:T110E5's tumor is actually fairly well armored. The lower plate and edges of the glacis are substantially bigger weak points.
Yeah, but post accuracy-buff the tumor's weak collar is much easier to hit and much more visible. :(

Driver's hatch I see very little of, though, which is a nice change from the M103, where my driver probably died as much as the KV-5's radioman does.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Ha, got intentionally pushed off a cliff into a lake by a guy in DOGE, so I sent the replay to his clan leader who booted him from the clan. I also sent the replay to support, but they don't tell you what action was taken. And that is why you don't TK in anything but self defense.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

We haven't had a good old fashioned bragpost in a while so:

Bragpost.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Update 8.10 going active in EU right now.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, it's reinstall all your mods day (incl. sweet hangar seen above).

I installed it this morning and reset all my graphics options, hopefully it won't have borked my framerate like the test server did.

Though I expect to be absent from tanks for a couple of days, tired from work today so would be a baddie, and then off for christmas.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

I started up the Japanese tank tree, first tank is hilariously bad but I had mostly that same tank in opposing teams so it was survivable.
About mods, now its a waiting game until they update them to support 8.10 while playing stock ;)
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Which mods do you guys recommend?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I use Aslain's XVM, Jimbo's Crosshair, Stile's damage panel (which you'll find reposted from the RU forum by Locastan), and Locastan's session stats.

I also have the IGR hangar installed.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I use Aslains and Jimbo's crosshair here as well (the XVM can go hang, but I like the whole replacing the tank icons with text thing), along with the Historical Realism Gun Sounds mod. Worth it for adding distant gunshots and the rumble of thunder when the 150+mm cannons open up.

Also currently running the Minions voice pack because incomprehensible gibberish is vital when driving a tank.

Edit: Oh, I'm liking the new lighting effects as well. Things can look very pretty indeed, although I tend to switch it to 1940s mode when driving the TOG.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I play Chinese tanks if I want incomprehensible.

I've no idea what he's saying, but he sounds very annoyed about it.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Vendetta wrote:I play Chinese tanks if I want incomprehensible.

I've no idea what he's saying, but he sounds very annoyed about it.
That dude's great, I agree with him 100%. I prefer the Germans because they're just so cheery about the whole thing though. You can tell they love killing tanks.