World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Vendetta »

Yes, I'm not sure it's quite appropriate to be so excited about unsere munitionslager being getroffen.

(Native speakers I know inform me that at least the French and German crews sound like they're trying amazingly hard to be cool and not quite managing it. So, videogame voice acting then. Also, the Japanese crew seem to come out with all the overblown nani and sugoi business normally expected from anime schoolchildren. So, Girls und Panzer collab going well.)
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The Germans strike me as being acted to the point where it's amusing that the Germans are slightly inappropriately happy to be there getroffenating munitionslagers in a WWII game.

The French sound hammy in an amusing way.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

A friend of mine refuses to play English-speaking crews, especially American ones. Why? Because being a tanker himself, he found the lack of profanity and racial slurs annoying.

I actually kind of like the Japanese and Chinese crews. The former sound hopped up and hyper off something, and the latter just sound generally frustrated and/or pissed at everything.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Basically, everything but the American and Russian crews are actually fun to listen to. It undoubtedly helps that I've little idea what they're saying, but at least they're actually acting rather than soulless robots.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

It probably doesn't help that the Russian and English voice packs have been in the game since the start and are of noticably lower sample quality than the newer ones.

Also, the Japanese crew literally talk like modern Japanese teenagers, including speaking random english at times. Historical!
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Researched and bought Tiger I today. First game was weird, I had more spotting damage than I dished out.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

My first game with the Tiger got me a sniper medal.

8/10 shots bounced.

Didn't use the short 88 again.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

wautd wrote:Which mods do you guys recommend?
I use xvm, Shooter's damage panel, jimbo's minimal crosshairs, 4ICapwn's Multilined Carousel, ReCo's vertical tech tree, and koshnaranek's server crosshair.
Vanas wrote:Edit: Oh, I'm liking the new lighting effects as well. Things can look very pretty indeed, although I tend to switch it to 1940s mode when driving the TOG.
I found some of the map, like Mines, to be too overcast now.

Anyway, bragposts. Man, I love the S-35 CA. Admittedly, my performance is pretty spotty with this; often I'll either play poorly or get saddled with a poor team, but when I do well I do spectacularly well.
http://www.wotreplays.com/site/504992

Also, still grinding my B1 crew XP, and a match like this certainly helps.
http://www/wotreplays.com/site/505005
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So, after a day of iffy play with my still rather new Tiger I, I finally got a tier 7 match with it:

Victory!
Battle: Karelia 12/28/2013 8:36:04 PM
Vehicle: Tiger I
Experience received: 3,854 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 55,780
Battle achievements: Sniper, Top Gun, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "1st Class"

That's pretty damn good.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

#gloatpost

I've been reliably informed that high-tier mediuming is hard. On the other hand, my love for the E-50M is undying.

I found myself almost unmolested on top of the hill on provo- prok- uh, the one it says on the image there. Just popping up now and the out of a convenient dip to shell all and sundry. Posted 6.7k damage done, more than twice that of our next highest, the Waffle 100.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

First game with the long 88 gun on Tiger, and I got this monster game.

--
Don't make me use uppercase...
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Does anyone knows any tips with playing the Indien Panzer? I just got one and in stock it seems like its gonna be a long grind
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I've not got one myself, but one thing I've heard is don't be afraid to take the first shot not fully aimed. Your aimtime is long and your turret is vulnerable. Snap one off and if you're safe to use your DPM then aim for the rest, otherwise hide again.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

What's up with the Mentor skill? I've noticed on a bunch of my tanks that the commander is providing extra proficiency to the rest of the crew, even for tanks where everyone is still grinding for major qualification.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The Commander always gives everyone else a boost to proficiency, nothing to do with Mentor. That just gives them more experience.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Huh. Why did I think it was the other way around? Oh well, thanks.
Secularism—since AD 80
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

In 8.10 they added the bonus to crew skill from commander, vents, and Brothers in Arms to the garage screen, it used to only show on the mouseover.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

My impression of the German WT series of tank destroyers is that they're big and vulnerable but very heavily armed even for tank destroyers... but since any experienced TD driver learns how to snipe effectively without exposing himself to return fire, these weaknesses are mitigated and the WaffleTraktors become extremely effective.

Is that accurate?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

From my experience playing against them, that does seem accurate. My inability to play (German) TD's means I can't say from experience playing them though.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Simon_Jester wrote:My impression of the German WT series of tank destroyers is that they're big and vulnerable but very heavily armed even for tank destroyers... but since any experienced TD driver learns how to snipe effectively without exposing himself to return fire, these weaknesses are mitigated and the WaffleTraktors become extremely effective.

Is that accurate?
Very much so. The Rhm Borsig and WTFE-100 are ludicrously overpowered in competent hands.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yeah. Conversely, I feel like the biggest single reason I suck at mediums is that I'm not good at avoiding being shot, so I *need* something with enough armor that it has at least a nontrivial chance of bouncing enemy fire.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

I feel kinda dirty when I drive an M5 Stuart in a Tier 6 match, rank third highest in damage, rank highest in spotting damage, and single-handedly damaged three enemy tanks to stop a base cap on my own (two by short 75mm shots, the third by ramming myself to death while shouting "Duty!").
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

http://wotreplays.com/site/521942#el_ha ... ntmatt-t29

Jesus christ, some teams refuse to be carried.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

wautd wrote:Does anyone knows any tips with playing the Indien Panzer? I just got one and in stock it seems like its gonna be a long grind
When you get it fully upgraded it's agile even if it isn't really fast, and it's got great depression for a german, so don't be afraid to get to hull downs. Also, because the gun's got nice pen but the turret's a bit soft, it can be worth peeking really fast in third person where you can take a shot right as you crest the hill just to get a semi-aimed shot while the enemy can't aim a bit. I also find it tends to work well backing out of cover in a sidescrape, it's good for drawing shots away from your turret and that long nose is easy to get hit in the side of if you aren't careful.

Also, what has happened with lower tiers and artillery? Fully half my chi-ha games have ended in an arty oneshot out of the blue. It's ridiculous. I'm personally angry at every bastard who drives an FV304 because it's so stupid OP against lower tier tanks because it can still oneshot everything, but it's silly fast firing.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

The 304 is one of the most annoying tanks in the game. Even in higher tier tanks, half the time I see one it singles me out and keeps chipping away at my health every few seconds for the whole match.

I still wish there was an arty opt out, but I'm just glad the the bad old days are long gone. I still have flashbacks to the days when 10 T92s and 261s per team with godly aimtime compared to their current form was a common sight.

And as far as low tiers go, I'm still at a loss as to how the T18 has remained the massively overpowered, blazing fast, bouncy, oneshot nearly everything it sees monstrosity that it's always been. But then, balance is pretty much nonexistent in the low tiers anyway.