World of Tanks Mark 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by PeZook »

Hmm. Didn't know repair kits restored the system entirely. Still, they cost 25k a pop, don't they? This means most battles where you have to use one will be finished at a loss.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

A small repair kit (one module) costs 3k a pop. So not too expensive. ;)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

If you have serious credits, it's worth waiting for a half-off sale and buying a hundred small repair kits or so at once.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

150k? Yeah, I could afford that if I wanted to :P
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

From Tier 5 and onwards, a small repair kit's effect on your income should be relatively negligible once you've realized when you should use them. If you're alive long enough to penetrate another shot or two, you've made up the cost while earning more XP. For things like ammo racks or dead loaders, hell. ONE additional hit on the enemy that you wouldn't have had otherwise more than makes up for the cost of the kit.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, I don't know how I would do anywhere near as good without the things.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The same argument applies to fire extinguishers- putting out a fire before it toasts half your modules saves a lot of trouble.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Nephtys wrote:Armorer is pretty useless alas. Repair Kits are awesome, and you generally don't last long enough to have multiple damaged critical systems.

You only 'always' fix the main gun or ammo rack. Engine is situational maybe. Tracks, rarely unless repairing them will surely avoid losing half your health.

Literally, I use it on the ammo rack about 9 out of 10 times. That's the worst critical to take.
I'm very rarely hit in the ammo rack*, but then, as arty, a miss can hurt me just as much. Oddly enough I find that getting tracked has done the most damage to me over my time playing, mostly when in my M37 and an enemy TD or arty has time to finish me, or in my T1 HT when I am outnumbered and they have been purposely been firing at my tracks (alternating, so when one is repaired the other one is still out) to keep me there.

I might get some repair kits for my T1, because that's where it would be most worth it, and most matches can easily absorb the cost of the kit, too.

*Though, when you think about it, the entire M37 is an ammo rack. And mine only got hit once.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I just got into a duel with a KV-1 (in mine) where we kept tracking each other. Quite entertaining since we were in postilions where that was all we COULD do :P
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Imperial528 wrote:*Though, when you think about it, the entire M37 is an ammo rack. And mine only got hit once.
Correction: You only survived getting hit in it once :)

These types of critical damage will become a lot more common as you get later vehicles capable of surviving more (and bigger) hits.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Yeah, my T1 has been hit in the engine and such and lived, which on the one hand sucked. On the other hand, I'd not been shot in the engine and survived since my Stuart. My M37 has died from track-hits though, so it's not like the ammo rack is a special weak point on it. It's more like finding what points you shouldn't shoot at to kill it, rather than what points you should.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Actually, track damage can result as a byproduct of a hit. an AP shell hitting a track segment can continue inwards into your hull, dealing damage.

The ammo rack of some vehicles (most notoriously the Type-59) can be instantly destroyed with a single direct hit to a precise spot. For higher tier vehicles though, their ammo racks and engines can be HUGE, resulting in coincidental shots dealing major damage. This is really apparent on the M103, since it's turret and center hull are a GIANT ammo rack.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

My VK gets Ammo-racked a ridiculous (for my rather limited experience) amount of times.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

That's because it has lovely flat sides on its turret which anyone can penetrate, because armour sloping was for untermenschen, obviously.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also: Tally ho chaps!, 8.1 tomorrow.

Also halloween theme week.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

Vendetta wrote:Also: Tally ho chaps!, 8.1 tomorrow.

Also halloween theme week.

Oh hell yeah.

London calling, to the far away towns, now war is declared, and battle come down...
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Zinegata
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zinegata »

8.1? Hurrah!

I am having visions of Michael Caine on a tank in the movie A Bridge Too Far now.

And then I remember him being a Butler for some American chap in a newer movie.

Poor Brits :D.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It may be stupid, but I bought an M2 Medium (one of my old glory tanks) so I'd have a chance at the waves and waves of people who will predictably be driving Brit tanks right after 8.1 comes out.

I myself will play my Brit tanks later.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Simon_Jester wrote:It may be stupid, but I bought an M2 Medium (one of my old glory tanks) so I'd have a chance at the waves and waves of people who will predictably be driving Brit tanks right after 8.1 comes out.

I myself will play my Brit tanks later.
Lol. That would be interesting to see. A huge Howitzer against the heavy armour of the Brits
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In an M2 I will mostly be seeing the lower-tier British tanks, which includes a lot of lightly armored cruiser tanks and the Vickers Medium series, which was lightly armored. Unless they go truly ahistorical with 8.1, the early British tanks will have plenty of spots I can put 75mm HE into with good effect.

If not, well, I didn't waste THAT many credits on this boondoggle.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Well, I decided to advance up the American TD line.

The T82 is horrible. It has less armor than the M37, which itself is a cardboard box with a gun. I decided to try and grind through it anyway. After being killed by a missed shot from a KV-1, I've decided to burn through some of my free XP to get to the next tier. Which, btw, I could've done when I sold the T18.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Did they nerfed the armor of the T18? It's like it turned from neutronium to warm butter.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Well, the Mk.1 appears to have about a 50/50 chance to hit the broad side of a barn at ten paces.

Fortunately, it's also the size of a barn and everyone is using them at the moment.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

wautd wrote:Did they nerfed the armor of the T18? It's like it turned from neutronium to warm butter.
Oh no, not even more! T18 was my favorite tank, the one I used when I needed to have a few wins. I had 70% win rate with that thing. It was to WoT what IDKFA was for Doom :(
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Luckily the Ram II is still good to vent some anger. 7 kills and 3 awards :)