What could make me think of lava before ROTS?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

xammer99
Padawan Learner

Re: What could make me think of lava before ROTS?

Post by xammer99 »

I remember that as well. I _THINK_ it was from the novelization of RotJ, and if not one of the early EU books.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

There was an interview with Hamill where he explained that the backstory given to him by Lucas for ANH was "I was told that my father, Obi-wan, and Vader all fought over a lava pit. Vader killed my father and then Obi-wan defeated him and threw him into the lava. The Emperor's shuttle landed, and Obi-wan ran away into the forest, never to be seen again" (paraphrased). I don't know if you saw that (or if it came out) prior to ROTS, but it's possible.

There's also this article from Bantha Tracks back in 1978 that included the "lava pit". Either of them ring a bell?
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yes, the novelization of one of the movies had lava as the cause. I think it was ROTJ as well, though I am not sure. I definitely know that I read it in one of the novels.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

I think, but I'm not 100% sure, that it was also mentioned in Shadows of the Empire. IIRC Vader is in his meditation chamber healing his lungs by focusing his hate on Kenobi and what happened between them.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

The reference is in the RotJ novelization. Quite explicitly too - Anakin's thoughts as he dies whilst Luke is crying over him, though Obi-Wan might have mentioned it whilst talking to Luke on Dagobah, too. I'd have to check when I get home.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
slicktyler
Redshirt

Post by slicktyler »

yeah I don't know where it came from either but I very clearly remember when I was a kid at summer camp one of my camp consular was a huge star wars fan. He told us that Anakin was pushed into a volcano. I also remember him saying that all the storm troopers where clones because they repeated what Obi Wan was saying when he using the Jedi Mind trick.... Looking back perhaps he didn't know what he was talking about. Of course this was way back before the prequels.
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

I read that piece about the volcano on the old PnP roleplaying books, and that was the only mention I recall before the prequels.
unsigned
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

There is also the McQuarie painting of Luke as Vader's prisoner confronting Palpatine in his thrown room, which was over lava from ROTJ pre production. That may also have something to do with it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Old Plympto
Jedi Master

Post by Old Plympto »

It was the ROTJ novelization. IIRC, it was explicitly mentioned when Ghost Obi-Wan speaks to Luke on Dagobah, after Yoda's passing, in an extended conversation scene which might have been taken from the unedited original screenplay.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

But, every time I watched the movie, this scene wasn't there! Turns out, it was on my dad's tape, but cut out of virtually every other version of the movie.
It was in the director's cut, not the theatrical cut. The director's cut was the predominant version released on VHS and DVD, AFAIK. The Blu-Ray set of the TOS movies are all theatrical cuts, though.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Almightyboredone
Youngling

Post by Almightyboredone »

It may have been one of the old DK visual guides/dictionaries; I believe I had one that talked about Darth Vader having been seriously burned by lava, and needing the suit because of it. Didn't have any visuals to the effect, though.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I can't find my complete trilogy at the moment but I have the old paper back. So....
RotJ paperback page 175 wrote: And this memory brought a wave of other memories with it. Memories of brotherhood, and home. His dear wife. The freedom of deep space. Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan, his friend...and how that friendship had turned. Turned, he knew not how-but got injected, nonetheless, with some uncaring virulence that festered, until...hold. These were memories he wanted none of, not now. Memories of molten lava, crawling up his back...no.
This is all part of the scene where Luke helped him take his mask off upon the Death Star and Luke saw the face of Anakin Skywalker. Also, something I didn't remember, in the scene was it being said explicitly that Vader's mask had been on him for two decades, so the prequels were pretty faithful with that, nothing about when he turned, but his suit is 20 years old.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

To further it;
RotJ paper back page 64 wrote: "You should not think of that machine as your father." It was the teacher speaking again. "When I saw what had become of him, I tried to dissuade him, to draw him back from the dark side. We fought...your father fell into a molten pit. when your father clawed his way out of that fiery pool, the change had been burned into him forever-he was Darth Vader, without a trace of Anakin Skywalker."
This was Ghost Ben talking to Luke on Dagoba. Seems that the idea of Anakin falling into lava was firmly entrenched as of the novelization of RotJ. So don't feel bad you thought of it before RotS.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Did you ever read the Injuries of Darth Vader section over at the Star Wars Technical Commentaries? I'm pretty sure Saxton mentions some quotes from the novelization of RotJ, and maybe some other sources, about lava? I'm pretty sure it predates all the prequels save TPM, maybe even that too.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Wing Commander MAD wrote:Did you ever read the Injuries of Darth Vader section over at the Star Wars Technical Commentaries? I'm pretty sure Saxton mentions some quotes from the novelization of RotJ, and maybe some other sources, about lava? I'm pretty sure it predates all the prequels save TPM, maybe even that too.
lol, I quoted the ROTJ novelization. Lava, or molten something predates TPM.

Rawtooth
Padawan Learner

Post by Rawtooth »

I know that I heard a mention of it in an old children's book describing the Empire. From what was posted of the RotJ novelization, it looks like they lifted it whole-sale from there.