Lucas gives update on SW live-action series

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Lucas gives update on SW live-action series

Post by Vympel »

Link

So a movie-of-the-week (I presume pilot) has been written together with approximately 50 hours worth of episodes, but its on hold because its too expensive and would cost about $50M per episode to make. I presume GL was exaggerating but in any event, they're waiting for the technology to catch up with what they want to do.

Might not see a SW live-action series for a few more years yet.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: Lucas gives update on SW live-action series

Post by Srelex »

Even if he is exagerrating, it still sounds like a pretty damn ambitious project.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Just put the first part of it into a movie to generate interest, sell a bunch of tickets, make all that money back, and then have it promote the TV show.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Given what happened the last time Lucasfilm tried that sort of thing, perhaps we should just let it pan out the conventional way?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Why? Because that movie did its job, made a bit of money, and successfully targeted the young audience it was aiming for?

Much of the critique about the Animated CW movie had to deal with it's CGI, a live action show isn't going to be subject to that nearly as much (if at all), especially given the amount they want to spend on production.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

$50 million per episode? Does anyone else think this seems to imply that it'll be more special effect-driven, and less story and character-oriented?

Also, that clone trooper behind Lucas was incredibly fidgety, and kept distracting me through the whole video. :lol:
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

It could be they want to model it like Sanctuary where all the sets are all CGI but presumably want it to look more realistic. Other than lowering the costs of CGI, I wonder what other technologies Lucas may be waiting for.

$50 million per episode is pretty daft.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

YT300000 wrote:$50 million per episode? Does anyone else think this seems to imply that it'll be more special effect-driven, and less story and character-oriented?

Also, that clone trooper behind Lucas was incredibly fidgety, and kept distracting me through the whole video. :lol:
Like Vympel said, that was probably just an exaggeration. $50 million over a short, cable TV-length season of 16 episodes works out to $800 million, or way the hell more than freaking Avatar. There's no way any TV series gets made for that much money. Lucas was probably just making a point about how they're not ready and how the technology they need isn't there yet.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

When this thread title appeared in my peripheral vision I read it as "Lucas gives up on SW live-action series" and my heart jumped for joy. But getting delayed for a while is still good news I guess.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

adam_grif wrote:When this thread title appeared in my peripheral vision I read it as "Lucas gives up on SW live-action series" and my heart jumped for joy. But getting delayed for a while is still good news I guess.
Shut the fuck up. If you don't like the idea or want it to fail, go start your own thread and stop being a fucking ass.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

I have mixed feelings about a live action series. If the Clone Wars series so far is any indication things could be a bit frustrating from a technical/vs debating point of view, but who's really been caring about that anyhow. On the other hand just to enjoy SW (like I do with the CW series which I enjoy immensely) it will be neat to see, if it is done halfway decent (This IS sci fi on TV after all.)

The real issue is the "waiting for technology to improve" bit. He did that with the prequels, and that was something of a mixed bag, and depending on Lucas' expectations we dont know how long we'd have to wait.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Havok wrote: Shut the fuck up. If you don't like the idea or want it to fail, go start your own thread and stop being a fucking ass.
What exactly is the deal with his response? I see nothing wrong with it. Its not like it was Darth Hoth or smething.
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Connor MacLeod wrote:I have mixed feelings about a live action series. If the Clone Wars series so far is any indication things could be a bit frustrating from a technical/vs debating point of view, but who's really been caring about that anyhow. On the other hand just to enjoy SW (like I do with the CW series which I enjoy immensely) it will be neat to see, if it is done halfway decent (This IS sci fi on TV after all.)

The real issue is the "waiting for technology to improve" bit. He did that with the prequels, and that was something of a mixed bag, and depending on Lucas' expectations we dont know how long we'd have to wait.
I'm honestly curious about this, so I looked up some other sci-fi stuff and Babylon 5 was made with an average budget of about $800,000 an episode. Space: Above and Beyond was made with between a million and two million per episode. Stargate needed about 2 million per episode. So this is well beyond the typical sci-fi series. Rome's first season had about 8.3 million budgeted per episode, which still puts this beyond Rome. Hell, this is about the entire cost of the pilot of Boardwalk Empire! Even though he's almost certainly exaggerating, I'm not sure where this fits in with his idea of it being a more noir series. Does he want to include aliens as main characters?
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Perhaps they're really aiming high for the scenery and backdrops?
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Srelex wrote:Perhaps they're really aiming high for the scenery and backdrops?
AOTC apparently had a budget of 150 million. 50 million an episode says "shove a tonne of stuff on the screen" to me. Now I won't object if there is an actual interesting story, with fleshed out characters.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

That depends on who's writing it. Didn't Lucas declare he was hiring writers a while back?
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

No idea, I gave up on this a while back figuring it would never be made.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Srelex wrote:That depends on who's writing it. Didn't Lucas declare he was hiring writers a while back?

Yes, the series had a writing staff and all that. Now that the scripts are written, polished and they are not shooting, these have been let go iirc.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

I wouldn't even care if whatever new effects Lucas is seeking look a bit raw or unpolished in the eventual show. The bar set by television scifi effects is far, far lower than the one set by visual effects in blockbuster movies. If people can watch Star Trek, Babylon 5, and Farscape, then what's the big deal if the Star Wars TV series has conspicuous CGI? To me, the important thing is whether the writing is decent.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

50 million might be hyper bowl, but if the episodes were produced to the same standards as Revenge of the Sith that’s not totally out of reason either. All the more so if the show featured many diverse settings on different planets, requiring a whole lot of original artwork each time. I suspect what they really need to wait for is just more drawing tools and filters to radically cut down the man hours that process requires. Everything else would just be bad acting in front of blue screens.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

If AOTC was 150 mil, then 50 mil for something ~1/3 it's length (42 minutes) is about to be expected assuming you're keeping budgets proportional to run time. Why they would need to is beyond me.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I don't understand how they intend to do this show. Fifty episodes (well, assuming one hour episodes) are written but they won't go ahead because it would cost an estimated 50 million per episode? What the hell.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Lucas just doesn't understand the differences between film and television and he's going about this show ass-backwards?
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

He produced the Young Indiana Jones series, didn't he? He's got experience with tv productions. Iirc that show was very expensive for its time. Probably wants to outdo the production.
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Lucas has always been a real special effects enthusiast, to the extent that most of his career has revolved around his special effects company, ILM. He pioneered a lot of the VFX we take for granted today, such as scrolling star fields. All of Hollywood turns to ILM for great VFX, and Lucas has a reputation to live up to. So I'm sure it's very important to him that every major project he works on looks really fantastic, and I suppose it's just not possible to do that with a TV budget at this point.

In my opinion, it would do him some good to work within serious budget constraints; the last thing I want to see is another blue-screen fest. Every second some guy is standing around in an office with the Coruscant cityscape in the background probably costs Lucas like $10,000 - and it's really not even necessary. Nobody is impressed with CGI anymore.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

But remember, for a TV series that by the sounds of it will have a large cast and many locales, you'll also need lots of physical props and scenery--just take a look at some of the DVD extras to see just how much work that requires, even for the Prequels. And CG can be a selling point for many people--just look at Avatar. I have a feeling Lucas doesn't want to feel left behind with that.