Yay? SW DVD related.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Laird
Friendly Neighbourhood Asshole

Yay? SW DVD related.

Post by Laird »

"LairdCorp, where total dominion is our number one goal!"-LairdCorp's Motto
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Oh yipee.

Well I suppose some people will be pleased these films are making it onto a DVD release.
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Caravan of Courage received an international theatrical release and was subsequently broadcast on U.S. television in 1984, followed by its sequel, The Battle for Endor, which aired in 1985.

Wait, so the Ewok Adventure was shown in theaters? So it's CANON like the films??

[Keanu]Whoa[/Keanu]
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

No, they're still EU (although very high), because they were shown only on TV in the US. And that's really all that counts: what's done in the country of origin.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I hated the second Ewok film, even as a kid. They killed Mace. Fuck them.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, they're still EU (although very high), because they were shown only on TV in the US. And that's really all that counts: what's done in the country of origin.
That's retarded. Seriously. Star Wars, if I'm not mistaken, was filmed more out of the US than in it, and with a majority of non-US actors. But yes, I can see how US is the country of origin...
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

evilcat4000: I dont spam

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
StarshipTitanic: Prove it.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Super-Gagme wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:No, they're still EU (although very high), because they were shown only on TV in the US. And that's really all that counts: what's done in the country of origin.
That's retarded. Seriously. Star Wars, if I'm not mistaken, was filmed more out of the US than in it, and with a majority of non-US actors. But yes, I can see how US is the country of origin...
It was an American production. Where and with whom a film is made doesn't matter compared to it's actual country of origin.

Would you consider the first three Alien films to be British films because they were filmed in the UK with mostly British crew and occasionally casts? No, because they were producted by an American company.

So it's not really so retarded after all.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Super-Gagme wrote:
It was an American production. Where and with whom a film is made doesn't matter compared to it's actual country of origin.

Would you consider the first three Alien films to be British films because they were filmed in the UK with mostly British crew and occasionally casts? No, because they were producted by an American company.

What's retarded is claiming that country of origin has some bearing on canon status, simply because they didn't think a theatrical release would be worth it in US. How does that define canon? You do not write canon Spanky. No matter how much you always claim to do, in every canon question post you reply to.
History? I love history! First, something happens, then, something else happens! It's so sequential!! Thank you first guy, for writing things down!

Cairbur: The Bible can, and has, been used to prove anything and everything (practically!)
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Canon status of entries such as those depend on whether they were originally shown theatically or on television. The theatrical films are canon, while the TV movies and shows are EU. The fact that in some foriegn countries the TV movies were shown in theatres is inconciquential.

Don't be so fucking confrontational. I'm not assuming some kind of "I Declare Such, So It Be Fact" position in these things. So back off.

Super-Gagme
Little Stalker Boy

Post by Super-Gagme »

Alright fine, but could you atleast tell me where the policy was set that only the country of productions media releases defined canon? Because this is new to me.

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Deductive reasoning. It makes sense to organise entries into the canon hierarchy based on how they were released in their native country.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Super-Gagme wrote:
Super-Gagme wrote: That's retarded. Seriously. Star Wars, if I'm not mistaken, was filmed more out of the US than in it, and with a majority of non-US actors. But yes, I can see how US is the country of origin...

What's retarded is claiming that country of origin has some bearing on canon status, simply because they didn't think a theatrical release would be worth it in US. How does that define canon? You do not write canon Spanky. No matter how much you always claim to do, in every canon question post you reply to.
Sort of like Brown's argument about the spelling of lightsaber (lightsabre)?

I was half-joking anyway, but I was surprised to learn that one of the Ewok films was shown in theaters, BEFORE it was shown on TV. So using the phrase "the films are the highest canon" would seem to include this, if used without qualification.

If nothing else, I would think this would place the first Ewok Adventure on a higher level than most, if not all other EU barring some official contradictory statement from the creators.
saethar
Redshirt

Post by saethar »

Super-Gagme wrote:

Or would you consider the Harry Potter films to be UK or US? They are written, directed, produced, and cast almost 100% brits (note: the cast is 100% brits, thats why spielberg turned down the position of director) and are not filmed in the US - and was even had theatrical releases in the UK before the US. Now despite all this they are listed as US films because WB bought the license and has production company credits.

Star Wars on the other hand was written/directed etc by an American, stared a mixed cast and had US theatrical releases prior to other countries.

Saethar
:twisted:
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Are you directing that towards me or Gagme?

saethar
Redshirt

Post by saethar »

Just more information to help establish a concensus. Whether one agrees with the idea of it or not the facts support your side of the arguement.

Saethar
:twisted:
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Isn't Spanky arguing that Caravan of Courage shouldn't be considered a "film" because it wasn't shown in US theaters, but only "international" ones (where it premiered), and then on TV in the US?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Kurgan wrote:Isn't Spanky arguing that Caravan of Courage shouldn't be considered a "film" because it wasn't shown in US theaters, but only "international" ones (where it premiered), and then on TV in the US?
No.

Don't put words in my mouth or add your slant to my arguments.

My position is this:

Episodes I-VI: produced and distributed as theatrical feature films in country of origin.

Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor: produced and distributed as made-for-television movies in country of origin.

Theatical films are canon.

Television productions are EU.

Variations and differences within the international television and cinema markets compared to that of the country of origin have no impact whatsoever in classification of canon status.

Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Vympel wrote:I hated the second Ewok film, even as a kid. They killed Mace. Fuck them.
Oh thanx i have to say i never saw the second one, i have the first taped on really old VHS
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

Actually, it doesn't matter where it was filmed. George Lucas himself directed a large portion of one of the Ewok movies.

While I think they suck, they do have some merit in continuity.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:snip
Understood. You're saying it doesn't count as film canon because it wasn't released in the US that way. Is that a good way to sum it up?

Gah, another nitpick I thought of. Aren't the DVD versions of the films considered "more canon" than the theatrical films? Since so far they've all shown to have added new/modified footage (well okay, AOTC didn't, it was the same as the version shown on digital screens in select theaters)?

I mean, isn't the whole deal supposed to be about "how George Lucas sees the films today"? Perhaps this Holocron thingy is a better way to think of things after all. There's too many what-if's otherwise.

But then, if Lucas did the story-writing for one or both Ewok films, would that make it G-level canon? I wonder what they have said/will say about that...

I've always wanted to say that the Ewok films are EU, straight up, but with all the definitions out there and their seeming inadequacy, it becomes tricky...
Last edited by Kurgan on 2004-08-28 12:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Kurgan, stop dragging this out.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

You keep doing this to me, as if once you've spoken, all discussion should end. I played along with it this time, I'm now talking about a related issue.

Is that okay, or do I have to stop when you say to stop?
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

No, you just really need to stop dragging this kind of shit out. You ALWAYS fucking do this shit, and I can't see it as anything more than you having your own little fucking agenda.

Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Not to drag THIS out, but what's wrong with that? Everybody has an agenda of some sort. I mean, why can't I have an opinion and talk about it on forums such as these?

And by talking to me, you're just keeping it alive anyway. I don't have a problem with it, but you seem to. So... what's the point, anyway?
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

Tychu wrote:
Vympel wrote:I hated the second Ewok film, even as a kid. They killed Mace. Fuck them.
Oh thanx i have to say i never saw the second one, i have the first taped on really old VHS
Really? Then you missed Wilfred Brimley and his crack-addicted ewok buddy. It was about as fun as it sounds.
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett