JLU "Question Authority" Talkback (Spoilers!)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

JME2 wrote:So, my dear friends, we are witnessing the beginning of the end of the Cadmus arc.

Thus far, the best episode of the season -- even better thanThe Doomsday Sanction. The best part by far was the Superman/Hamilton confrontation and the fallout there. We could already deduce Hamilton's motivations thanks to Legacy, but here it's all confirmed. And for those that watched STAS and grew to like Hamilton as a character, this moment is made all the more powerful.
Seriously. I missed quite a bit of JLU, so I don't know if he made any appearance beforehand, but seeing Hamilton examining Luthor, and then seeing the Cadmus woman walk in. Holy shit.

Capt Atom vs. Superman will be a fight to watch.

PS. Lois Lane! And Jimmy Olson! Coolness!
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

I only saw about half the episode (and it's the first JLU episode I've managed to see) and I really enjoyed watching Superman hover around instead of walking. At first I thought it was some shitty animation and then I realized that Superman just wasn't bothering to walk. Then when the wall of security guards hit him and he just ignored them, oh man that was cool! He's changed since STAS.

Are the Question and the Huntress part of a third faction between Cadmus/Luthor and the JLU?
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Crom wrote:
Are the Question and the Huntress part of a third faction between Cadmus/Luthor and the JLU?
No. The Huntress got kicked out of the JL for her tactics in going after the man who killed her parents. The Question helped her despite that and she's returning the favor (as well as dating). The Question is much more worried about Cadmus than the rest of the JLU because he's a paranoid conspiracy nut as well as a skilled investigator.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Crom
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crom »

Imperial Overlord wrote:No. The Huntress got kicked out of the JL for her tactics in going after the man who killed her parents. The Question helped her despite that and she's returning the favor (as well as dating). The Question is much more worried about Cadmus than the rest of the JLU because he's a paranoid conspiracy nut as well as a skilled investigator.
How is it that the Question is still in the JLU? He's certainly not a metahuman and probably not even on the Green Arrow, Huntress, or Batman level.

I've been thinking about this Captain Atom/Superman fight. The Timm's Superman always struck me as kind of a low-end Superman, does Atom have a good chance in this fight? Can Superman call in the rest of the JLU?
"Our people were meant to be living gods, warrior-poets who roamed the stars bringing civilization, not cowards and bullies who prey on the weak and kill each other for sport. I never imagined they'd prove themselves so inferior. I didn't betray our people – they betrayed themselves."

-Gaheris Rhade, Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

They probably let Question in because he's a good detective.

I doubt Supes will call in the rest of the league. After all, he's only there "off the books."
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Trogdor wrote:They probably let Question in because he's a good detective."
Superman made in clear in the welcoming speech from Initiations that all of Earth's heroes, super-powered or not, would fall under the League's jurisdiction (It makes one wonder what effect this had on Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin). This has led to feelings of resentment from a number of heroes, among then Green Arrow, Wildcat, and Elongated Man throughout the last two seasons.

In addition, the Question clearly loves a challange and cracking the enigma of Cadmus certainly qualifies; he's not leavin', especially with the discoveries of this episode.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

JME2 wrote:It makes one wonder what effect this had on Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin
I don't know about Batgirl, but Robin probably doesn't care much, seeing as how he's with the Titans. And since I'm pretty sure TT Robin is Dick Grayson, Nightwing doesn't exist yet.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
Slayen
Padawan Learner

Post by Slayen »

Trogdor wrote:
JME2 wrote:It makes one wonder what effect this had on Nightwing, Batgirl, and Robin
I don't know about Batgirl, but Robin probably doesn't care much, seeing as how he's with the Titans. And since I'm pretty sure TT Robin is Dick Grayson, Nightwing doesn't exist yet.
'Teen Titans' is a different universe entirely than JLU. Its already been establised in BTAS, which is in the same universe as JLU, that Dick Grayson has become Nightwing and that Tim Drake is the current Robin.
"We are imperfect reflections of the universe around us. We cannot change the past, we can only learn from it, try to create a future in which such errors do not reoccur. Sadly, we are still working on that last part." , Gkar aka Andreas Katsulas: May 18, 1946 - February 13, 2006 R.I.P.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

I see. I assumed that the crossover happy show that is Static Shock was enough to link them together.

lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Wasn't there a mention of the titans in a static shock episode? Where Statics asks,"Wheres Robbin" and Bat says "with the titans"?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

lance wrote:Wasn't there a mention of the titans in a static shock episode? Where Statics asks,"Wheres Robbin" and Bat says "with the titans"?
Yes, he also said that static will meet them someday
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

the current animated Teen Titans is a different continuity from the Justice League / Static Shock continuity.

The Teen Titans in the JLU continuity would most likely have Dick Grayson as Nightwing, and Tim Drake would be in the Young Justice League as Robin.

In any event, they probably can't be granted full JLU Membership yet due to their age, so they join in Justice-League affiliated organizations. Kara seems to be the exception to this rule.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

lance wrote:Wasn't there a mention of the titans in a static shock episode? Where Statics asks,"Wheres Robbin" and Bat says "with the titans"?
It's best to just ignore that; when that episode aired, TT was still in development and at that point, I believe it was still undecided if it was going to be set in its own continuity or in the Timm-verse continuity.
zannal
Redshirt

Post by zannal »

Vendetta wrote:I Makes him sound just like Rorschach. (well, even more than usual)
Isnt Rorschach based on the Queston?
Also, the Queston in the comics has the abilty to, ahh how to explain this, he can 'see' Chi, and is able to use to fight by sort-of shadow jumping. That along with his mastery of martial arts makes him one serious power house, in the comics at least. Oh, and his mask is lead lined so Super man cant see through it too.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

zannal wrote: Isnt Rorschach based on the Queston?
Yes. The characters in Watchmen were originally going to be the Charlton characters (Question, Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, etc), but DC decided they wanted to use them.

Frankly, the creation of new characters, and the loss of baggage that went with the old ones strengthened Watchmen immensely.

The DCAU version of Question is far more like Rorschach than the comic Question.
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

"The plastic tips on the ends of shoelaces are called aglets and their purpose
is sinister." :shock:
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.