THe Penguin is the smartest man in the DCverse

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I wonder how many innocent by standers frank kills?
Not a whole lot, IIRC. He usually makes a point not to kill innocents. He even killed a copycat vigilante because of his disdain for collateral damage.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:hell one time someone even mind fucked him so bad he killed jaywalkers and litterbugs.
Kingpin, with some sort of drug.
Adrian Laguna
Sith Marauder

Post by Adrian Laguna »

SAMAS wrote:
The Yosemite Bear wrote:I wonder how many innocent by standers frank kills?
Not a whole lot, IIRC. He usually makes a point not to kill innocents. He even killed a copycat vigilante because of his disdain for collateral damage.
Speaking of sparing innocents: Is it my imagination, or in the picture Shep posted Frank is deliberately trying not to kill the butler? He's completely uninjured, and while a stream of bullets passes of uncomfortably close, it doesn't seem to be going for him.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Back to the Original Topic - the talking heads make the same point in The Dark Knight Returns, so it's not like the idea is revolutionary. Didn't Joker make the same comment a lot in the AU?

Hell, I was watching Spider-Man cartoon episodes with my little brother on the weekend and one of the two-bit supervillains begged Spidey to save him from falling to his death - because that's what heroes do!
LordShaithis
Redshirt

Post by LordShaithis »

Yeah, I remember in one issue of Hitman... Tommy and Nat are walking down the street when fifty ninjas with swords and crap come leaping down from the top of a building. The guys whip out their guns and kill the whole lot of them.

Nat: "They ain't here for me. Dudes I know get into a gunfight, they remember to bring a gun."

And afterward it's never mentioned again. Going by Hitman, the GCPD is almost totally oblivious.
If Religion and Politics were characters on a soap opera, Religion would be the one that goes insane with jealousy over Politics' intimate relationship with Reality, and secretly murder Politics in the night, skin the corpse, and run around its apartment wearing the skin like a cape shouting "My votes now! All votes for me! Wheeee!" -- Lagmonster
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Molyneux wrote: Because it's about as heroic as winning a bar fight with the aid of a chainsaw.
Frank Castle isn't a hero; he is a serial killer who just happens to target scum.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

TheDarkling wrote:
Molyneux wrote: Because it's about as heroic as winning a bar fight with the aid of a chainsaw.
Frank Castle isn't a hero; he is a serial killer who just happens to target scum.
hey it's a good target, whose going to miss them?

which is why most serial killer's target homeless and prostitues.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

DEATH wrote:
It may not be "heroic" but it's effective.
So would be executing anyone suspected - You'd save the problems of the expensive legal system and cut out any criminals escaping.
(Wank about Frank never killing anyone innocent aside).
Why should we put aside? As long as Frank is killing known villains and not innocents then it's a good thing.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

MadSorcerer wrote:Why should we put aside? As long as Frank is killing known villains and not innocents then it's a good thing.
Yeah, cause who needs those pesky checks and balances? As long as a known and unstable vigilantee decides who lives and dies, there's no harm done, right? Because these people are "known villains"?

Jesus. Sometimes, newbies pick the most fitting usernames.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Mild spoilers

Post by Edward Yee »

At least as portrayed in MAX (maybe by Garth Ennis in general), he has consciously taken measures to avoid collateral damage and cited that as the reason; in "Slavers" he specifically planned a house clearing to ensure no firefight, and in the current "Man of Stone" arc he's taking the fight to the mountains rather than Kabul. In the first three arcs there weren't many (if any) such confrontations with the risk thereof, so the only time where I found MAX Punisher questionable was in the fourth arc, "Up and Down, Black is White."

P.S. He doesn't seem to have been as clear about it in the "Barracuda," especially not at the end, but that was a bad, somewhat out of character (for the writer) arc.
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

Eleas wrote:
MadSorcerer wrote:Why should we put aside? As long as Frank is killing known villains and not innocents then it's a good thing.
Yeah, cause who needs those pesky checks and balances? As long as a known and unstable vigilantee decides who lives and dies, there's no harm done, right? Because these people are "known villains"?

Jesus. Sometimes, newbies pick the most fitting usernames.
Do you know what "known villain" means? It's when you know without a doubt that a person is guilty. And if you know someone committed a crime like murder or rape and was going to do it again what would be the harm in putting them down? It doesn't hurt society; one can argue that it improves it.
Drunk Monkey
Padawan Learner

Post by Drunk Monkey »

MadSorcerer wrote:Do you know what "known villain" means? It's when you know without a doubt that a person is guilty.
So? Just because everyone in the world knew that O.J, Michael Jackson, and Charles Manson did there respective evil deeds, but the fuckers still deserved a trial.
MadSorcerer wrote:And if you know someone committed a crime like murder or rape and was going to do it again what would be the harm in putting them down?
Careful when fighting monsters youngling, you just might become one.
MadSorcerer wrote:It doesn't hurt society; one can argue that it improves it.
Mass murder doesn’t harm society? Bullshit. I’m sorry buddy but going around killing people is never helpful for society, no matter how you spin it.

Think of the grief Frank causes to those mobsters friends and families. Many of which probably wouldn’t have a problem with there executions if they were decided by a court, not a fucking vigilantly.
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

One of Frank's motives.

"There are times I'd like to get my hands on God." - Frank Castle
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Awww... Poor widdle Franks about to get one hell of an idiot cut from that shot...
Loner
Jedi Knight

Post by Loner »

weemadando wrote:Awww... Poor widdle Franks about to get one hell of an idiot cut from that shot...
Not quite. DD does pull the trigger, but Frank removed the firing pin from the revolver.
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

Drunk Monkey wrote:
MadSorcerer wrote:Do you know what "known villain" means? It's when you know without a doubt that a person is guilty.
So? Just because everyone in the world knew that O.J, Michael Jackson, and Charles Manson did there respective evil deeds, but the fuckers still deserved a trial.
MadSorcerer wrote:And if you know someone committed a crime like murder or rape and was going to do it again what would be the harm in putting them down?
Mass murder doesn’t harm society? Bullshit. I’m sorry buddy but going around killing people is never helpful for society, no matter how you spin it.

Think of the grief Frank causes to those mobsters friends and families. Many of which probably wouldn’t have a problem with there executions if they were decided by a court, not a fucking vigilantly.[/quote]
MadSorcerer
Redshirt

Post by MadSorcerer »

The previous post was a mistake. Sorry.
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Except we don't know if they were responsible for there deeds. A known villain would be someone like Hitler.

Drunk Monkey wrote:
Better to be a monster than a person like Batman who never gets anything done. People would be a lot safer if he killed the Joker or any of his other enemies.
Drunk Monkey wrote:

Think of the grief Frank causes to those mobsters friends and families. Many of which probably wouldn’t have a problem with there executions if they were decided by a court, not a fucking vigilantly.

So going around killing people akin to the Joker or Hitler wouldn't help society? If Batman had killed the Joker the third time he escaped many people would still be alive or sane. That seems like a plus.

Also do you seriously expect me to care about grieving mobsters? You have to be joking. Mobsters callously rip families a part all the time and know we're suppose to care about them?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

MadSorcerer wrote:
Except we don't know if they were responsible for there deeds. A known villain would be someone like Hitler.
And yet even those accomplices of Hitler that chose not to put a bullet to their brains and were caught were tried. Their punishments, up to and including execution, were not decided by individuals but by the due process of law.
Better to be a monster than a person like Batman who never gets anything done. People would be a lot safer if he killed the Joker or any of his other enemies.
No, it isn't. Because once an individual starts believing that they are the sole arbiter of "justice" they are prone to making decisions based on their own subjective morality, not the wider code of ethics that informs actual justice. Frank Castle only spares people he thinks are innocent, and, well, he's mentally unstable and should be in a loony bin.
So going around killing people akin to the Joker or Hitler wouldn't help society? If Batman had killed the Joker the third time he escaped many people would still be alive or sane. That seems like a plus.
No, it just creates something just as dangerous as the person you just killed. If Batman had killed the Joker, he would have been a murderer. The continuing failure of the DC's Justice system to execute the Joker after following the due process of law notwithstanding.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, so far it seems like Frank's choices have been sound - the people he's killed happen to be guilty, according to that wide code of ethics that informs actual justice you've mentioned.

They allow the likes of Superman and whatnot to punch villains into the sun, then why not allow Frank to put a bullet in a rapist's brain? If comic book physics differs from that of reality, then maybe comic book psychology does too :P
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

The state can not execute a sick man. Joker being about as sick as they come. All they can do is lock him in the nut house.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What happens if he keeps on escaping and killing? Will the state go "okay, back to your cell" and then he breaks out and murders everyone again, what? "Time for your lockdown time"?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Edward Yee
Sith Devotee

Mildest of spoilerage

Post by Edward Yee »

Incidentally, that's the topic of the next arc, "Widowmaker." :D (Albeit it's the wives as the antagonists -- but in a preview page, he kills the female of a couple.)
"Yee's proposal is exactly the sort of thing I would expect some Washington legal eagle to do. In fact, it could even be argued it would be unrealistic to not have a scene in the next book of, say, a Congressman Yee submit the Yee Act for consideration. :D" - bcoogler on this

"My crystal ball is filled with smoke, and my hovercraft is full of eels." - Bayonet

Stark: "You can't even GET to heaven. You don't even know where it is, or even if it still exists."
SirNitram: "So storm Hell." - From the legendary thread
Zed Snardbody
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zed Snardbody »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:What happens if he keeps on escaping and killing? Will the state go "okay, back to your cell" and then he breaks out and murders everyone again, what? "Time for your lockdown time"?
Thats about the size of it, sad to say.
The Zen of Not Fucking Up.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, if the justice system is that fucked up, you can't really criticize citizens who take the law into their own hands and slaughter bad guys, citizens who take the law into their own hands and slaughter bad guys...responsibly :P

I'm sure there's a wise saying I've heard that applies to that...uhhh...I think it was from the Punisher movie :lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Loner
Jedi Knight

Re: Mildest of spoilerage

Post by Loner »

Edward Yee wrote:
Incidentally, that's the topic of the next arc, "Widowmaker." :D (Albeit it's the wives as the antagonists -- but in a preview page, he kills the female of a couple.)
Apparently that couple were child molesters.