Someone explain Hulk tearing Wolverine in half

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Superman
Pink Foamin' at the Mouth

Someone explain Hulk tearing Wolverine in half

Post by Superman »

Was this an actual event? Was it some kind of 'What if?'
Jedi Master

Post by avatarxprime »

In Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine, Hulk rips Wolverine in half (lower body from upper, not down the middle) and tosses said halves in different directions. Wolverine wakes up, sniffs out his lower body and starts slowly moving towards it so he can reattach himself. :roll:

It was no What-If or even a joke, it's in the normal Ultimate Marvel continuity, and therefore canon regarding Ultimate Wolverine's endurance/healing factor.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

The miniseries is still unfinished. It was supposed to be five issues and it's been like a year since the second issue came out.

Also I'm pretty sure that Wolverine got ripped in half because his spinal column non-Adamantium-plated discs in between the vertebrae.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Hades
Jedi Knight

Post by Hades »

I've recently started reading the ultimate verse. Making my way through the trade paperbacks.

I really wish they would hurry up and finnish this miniseries so that it can be released as a TPB
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
Dennis Toy
BANNED

Post by Dennis Toy »

In Ultimate Hulk vs Wolverine, Hulk rips Wolverine in half (lower body from upper, not down the middle) and tosses said halves in different directions. Wolverine wakes up, sniffs out his lower body and starts slowly moving towards it so he can reattach himself.
WHAT THE FUCK!?? :shock: :lol: How the hell can he re-attach himself when he's torn in half. Does his regeneration power have limits?
You wanna set an example Garak....Use him, Let him Die!!
Hedgehog's Roommate
Padawan Learner

Post by Hedgehog's Roommate »

Limits on Wolvie's healing have been discussed before. The answer is no, there are apparently no limits to his healing. :roll:
No war was ever won by dying for your country, but by making the other poor sumbitch die for his. - Gen. George A. Patton

The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of wars. -Gen. Douglas MacArthur
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Ultimate Wolverine can die, but apparently there was some stupid retcon of 616 Wolverine that makes him truly immortal, so if he dies he goes to this limbo dimension, and he can choose whether to "step into the light" or not, and if he chooses not to, he ressurects. That's apparently how he regenerated when Nitro burned him down to a skeleton.
Superman

Post by Superman »

OmegaGuy wrote:Ultimate Wolverine can die,
What do you base this on? The evidence would seem to indicate otherwise.
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

There's nothing indicating he would survive if his entire body, including the adamantium, was destroyed (and yes there are things in the Ultimate MU that can do that)
Superman

Post by Superman »

Why not just drown him?
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Superman wrote:Why not just drown him?
As absurd as it may be, he would most likely heal the damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

TheDarkling wrote:
As absurd as it may be, he would most likely heal the damage caused by oxygen deprivation.
So then why does he need to eat? I seem to recall a similar thread describing him coming close to starving to death (although, he did save himself by eating his own flesh and having it regenerate, but that's not the same thing). Wouldn't his cells simply "heal" from nutrient-deprivation?
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

OmegaGuy wrote:Ultimate Wolverine can die, but apparently there was some stupid retcon of 616 Wolverine that makes him truly immortal, so if he dies he goes to this limbo dimension, and he can choose whether to "step into the light" or not, and if he chooses not to, he ressurects. That's apparently how he regenerated when Nitro burned him down to a skeleton.
Or, it could be him hallucinating on account of his brain being totally cut off from all sensory input on account of every part of him not protected by adamantium getting turned to ashes by Nitro.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Matt Huang wrote:Or, it could be him hallucinating on account of his brain being totally cut off from all sensory input on account of every part of him not protected by adamantium getting turned to ashes by Nitro.
Some of us would prefer that Wolverine's cellular regeneration not being the cause of his survival in that instance.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Is there any way to kill him?! :?
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

While I'm no expert, I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I recall hearing some comicky friends talking about this, and they seemed to say that the only way to kill him would be to somehow chop his head off and separate it from his body in such a way that the two can never be rejoined. Like, chuck them into deep space, or something.

Of course, maybe Wolverine's head will just grow a new body, or vice versa. Like I said, I'm no expert on the subject.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Bluewolf wrote:Is there any way to kill him?! :?
Disintergration, no molecules, nothing to heal, end of story. I think its fairly preposterous that Wolverine's healing factor went from almost killed by a sword through the chest and heart wielded by Kitty Pride that then put him out of commision for months while he healed to ripped in half or completely incinerated save for his brain protected by his adamantium skull and coming back in minutes.

Can we call this Silver Age Wolverine as opposed to the Golden Age Wolverine of the Claremont/Miller era?

I have always wondered how a character that was always meant as a second stringer hero at best got to be the flagship character of Marvel. He's an interesting character but really in the end, Spiderman summed him up right in a classic issue where he casually bitchslaps Wolverine (and the rest of the X-Men for that matter) "You're nothing more than a thug with pig stickers in your hands."
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

TheDarkling wrote:
In one of the Early ultimate X-Men arcs Sabertooth claims the only way to kill him and Wolverine is by drowning them. He attempts to drown Wolverine in a river but gets clawed in the nuts. Wolverine doesn't really comment on how effective the drowning was though.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Stravo wrote:
Bluewolf wrote:Is there any way to kill him?! :?
Disintergration, no molecules, nothing to heal, end of story. I think its fairly preposterous that Wolverine's healing factor went from almost killed by a sword through the chest and heart wielded by Kitty Pride that then put him out of commision for months while he healed to ripped in half or completely incinerated save for his brain protected by his adamantium skull and coming back in minutes.
I think that the difference in healing ability -- from the merely extraordinary to the completely ludicrous -- was explained by the fact that the admantium in his skeleton was holding it back. Once it was removed, it got way more effective. I don't know what happened when he got the adamantium back, since I wasn't following events at the time.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

Matt Huang wrote:
OmegaGuy wrote:Ultimate Wolverine can die, but apparently there was some stupid retcon of 616 Wolverine that makes him truly immortal, so if he dies he goes to this limbo dimension, and he can choose whether to "step into the light" or not, and if he chooses not to, he ressurects. That's apparently how he regenerated when Nitro burned him down to a skeleton.
Or, it could be him hallucinating on account of his brain being totally cut off from all sensory input on account of every part of him not protected by adamantium getting turned to ashes by Nitro.
Really? I haven't read the stupid issue in question, but from what I've heard it was some mystical bullshit about where Wolverine's soul goes after his brain IS destroyed.
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Crazedwraith wrote: In one of the Early ultimate X-Men arcs Sabertooth claims the only way to kill him and Wolverine is by drowning them. He attempts to drown Wolverine in a river but gets clawed in the nuts. Wolverine doesn't really comment on how effective the drowning was though.
Given the guys ability creates blood cells in lieu of his bone marrow and presumably grows all his flesh in premium condition I can't really see any reason why it wouldn't just heal the damage.

Of course that is ultimate Wolverine so he may be different (although the thread is about ultimate wolverine).
Superman

Post by Superman »

Noble Ire wrote: So then why does he need to eat?
Good question. Given what his healing ability is capable of, he shouldn't need to.
Jim Raynor
Sith Devotee

Post by Jim Raynor »

From what I've heard, in one of the comics he actually survives in the wilderness by eating parts of himself. :roll:
"They're not triangular, but they are more or less blade-shaped"- Thrawn McEwok on the shape of Bakura destroyers

"Lovely. It's known as impugning character regarding statement of professional qualifications' in the legal world"- Karen Traviss, crying libel because I said that no soldier she interviewed would claim that he can take on billion-to-one odds

"I've already laid out rules for this thread that we're not going to make these evidential demands"- Dark Moose on supporting your claims
Superman

Post by Superman »

Jim Raynor wrote:From what I've heard, in one of the comics he actually survives in the wilderness by eating parts of himself. :roll:
Ah, he's a perpetual motion mutant.
OmegaGuy
Retarded Spambot

Post by OmegaGuy »

Wolverine's healing factor is basically reinterpreted by every writer that writes him. It's not consistent.