THE OotS Thread, Part V

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Re: THE OotS Thread, Part V

Post by Solauren »

Now, let's see
V could cast good old Reduce on Bloodfeast, reducing his size by 50%
Heck, Flesh to Stone, Shrink Item, and then Dispel magic when you need him could move him nicely.
(They have to have a ton of potions they haven't used yet, like any high level drop that doesn't sell their stuff left-right-and-center)

And as for what the Lich and Redcloak could do to poor BLoodfeast after dominating it....
Just in the PHBK 3.0

Animal Growth (x2 size, double HD, buff to Str and Con, so more HP from the CON + HD), Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance (+4 to Str, Dex, Con)
Contagion - now the dinosaur is spreading a disease with it's bite (see below)
(Deeper) Darkvision, See Invisibility - Toss a darkness spell into the room, and send into the Dino....
Death Ward - Cleric 4
Expeditious Retreat - now it's faster
Haste - And is even faster and has 2 bites a round... and they're diseased, and he's twice as big.....
Mage Armor - better armor
Invisibility (up to Superior) - and you can't see the thing....
Protection from Good
Stone Skin - Damage REduction against everything except Adamantium
Unholy Aura

And there's probably a spell that grants Spell Resistance too.

Plus the Modron is a 20th level cleric himself, and who knows what spells it has ready to cast for buffing purposes.

Note to self - use this as a trap in the tombs I'm making for the next part of the campaign I'm running.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Reduce doesn't exist in 3rd edition. Reduce Person is limited to humanoid targets.

I'm not sure if Shrink Item (usable on objects) would technically work on a petrified dino (who remains a living creature per the Flesh to Stone spell description), though that seems like a silly hair to split.

In any case, if Team Evil wanted a big monster to layer buff spells on besides the monster in darkness they'd have brought one. And I don't think we have any reason to believe Xykon even has the Dominate Monster 9th level spell.

The Modron is unlikely to do anything beyond exactly what it bargained to do
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-14 02:12pm Reduce doesn't exist in 3rd edition. Reduce Person is limited to humanoid targets.

I'm not sure if Shrink Item (usable on objects) would technically work on a petrified dino (who remains a living creature per the Flesh to Stone spell description), though that seems like a silly hair to split.

In any case, if Team Evil wanted a big monster to layer buff spells on besides the monster in darkness they'd have brought one. And I don't think we have any reason to believe Xykon even has the Dominate Monster 9th level spell.

The Modron is unlikely to do anything beyond exactly what it bargained to do
Modron - you are interferring with my bargined task. Therefore, you are choatic and must be destroyed.

And reduce DID exist in the 3.0 PHBK/SRD.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2024-08-14 08:58pm
Congratulations grab yourself a juice box. Anyway this story is set in 3.5.
Modron - you are interferring with my bargined task. Therefore, you are choatic and must be destroyed.
Yeah sure if we ignore everything we've seen of the Modron's motivations and character because you don't want to admit that you were bullshitting.

And Xykon for that matter, who has temporarily agreed to go along with the 'just Force Wall them off' plan but otherwise is most likely to kill any living enemy he sees for fun and maybe animate them as zombies afterwards.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Ralin wrote: 2024-08-14 09:35pm
Solauren wrote: 2024-08-14 08:58pm
Congratulations grab yourself a juice box. Anyway this story is set in 3.5.
Yeah sure if we ignore everything we've seen of the Modron's motivations and character because you don't want to admit that you were bullshitting.

And Xykon for that matter, who has temporarily agreed to go along with the 'just Force Wall them off' plan but otherwise is most likely to kill any living enemy he sees for fun and maybe animate them as zombies afterwards.
Modron are the definition of law. Now that it's made the agreement, until it's job is finished, or Xykon violates the agreement, is going to do everything in it's power to fulfil the agreement, and not let anything interfer.

If Wall of Forcing off the group doesn't stop them from interfering, it's within character for a Modron to eliminate threats. (Hell, it's in character for low-tier modrons to level settlements that get in the way during the Great Modron March).

That, however, is not going to prevent the Modron from interacting peacefully with the Order, or pointing out something Xykon is about to do is going to interfer with the agreement, or even pointing out that it was not 'hired' to combat the group and will only do so if they interfer with it's agreed-upon-mission. (Thereby removing the Modron as a combat concern).

Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Solauren wrote: 2024-08-14 11:21pm
Modron are the definition of law. Now that it's made the agreement, until it's job is finished, or Xykon violates the agreement, is going to do everything in it's power to fulfil the agreement, and not let anything interfere.

If Wall of Forcing off the group doesn't stop them from interfering, it's within character for a Modron to eliminate threats. (Hell, it's in character for low-tier modrons to level settlements that get in the way during the Great Modron March).
The agreement is to accompany Team Evil while they search the dungeon and assist in restraining any hostile creatures they encounter.

And to maintain a mental map of every door they enter and room they search.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1265.html

No interference on the Order's part will prevent the fulfillment of that deal because the only thing the deal obligates the Modron to do is make a good faith attempt to assist in restraining them. At best it will treat them exactly the same as any other hostile creatures and attempt to restrain them. Going beyond that to actively attacking the Order or otherwise assisting in combat would require the Modron to make a choice to interpret the spirit of their agreement in a way favorable to Team Evil, which it has no reason to do and significant reason not to, such as the fact that Xykon exists.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

You know we just said the same thing right?

Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

And we have a winner!!
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »