Split from EVA question(Anime = Jingoism?)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:If it's intact enough to have super fucking carriers it wasn't too hard hit. And besides, when it's a US ship, UN flag one has to wonder why not just call it a US ship.
When it clearly isn't. How many times do Uts and I have to explain such?
You've said, US ship, US crew, UN flag. Exactly how is it wrong to wonder why they don't just call it US.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Here, I'll use an analogy to display the problem with your logic, Stormbringer.

The US media does not depict the British military in a favourable light, particularly in movies.

The British Empire burned the US capital to the ground in 1812.

Therefore, the lack of British military in US media is a result of their denial over that event(This one actually has a tiny shard of truth to it, as American schools tend not to mention the fact D.C. was burned down).
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

It used to be a US ship, in the pre-Second Impact days.

The crew are most likely just American nationals, maybe so the US can still feel a sense of "ownership" of Over the Rainbow.

It's under the UN flag because the US military forces NO LONGER EXIST, as they have been ABSORBED by the UN, along with virtually all other world militaries. No country has any sort of control or influence with it's former respective units and property that now are under the full command of the new United Nations.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

SirNitram wrote:Here, I'll use an analogy to display the problem with your logic, Stormbringer.

The US media does not depict the British military in a favourable light, particularly in movies.

Therefore, the lack of British military in US media is a result of their denial over that event(This one actually has a tiny shard of truth to it, as American schools tend not to mention the fact D.C. was burned down).
Except you're projecting a phenomenon that doesn't exist onto the US. Japanese refusal to deal with WW2 and it's strange tendency to avoid any sort of reminders is well established.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Stormbringer wrote:
SirNitram wrote:Here, I'll use an analogy to display the problem with your logic, Stormbringer.

Except you're projecting a phenomenon that doesn't exist onto the US. Japanese refusal to deal with WW2 and it's strange tendency to avoid any sort of reminders is well established.
Trust me, there's no projection. Most nations tend to mention things like their capitol city burning down in enemy hands(Or your own, Fire of London). The Americans don't, and have a 'strange tendency' to gloss over 1812 and any reminders.

That should, of course, sound familiar.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

HemlockGrey
Fucking Awesome

Post by HemlockGrey »

Without getting into the debate, I'd like to point out that A) The War of 1812 is hardly 'glossed over', seeing as how it's in every history textbook I've ever seen, and B) To my knowledge, the War of 1812 did not involve multiple massacres and warcrimes. But I could be wrong.
The End of Suburbia
"If more cars are inevitable, must there not be roads for them to run on?"
-Robert Moses

"The Wire" is the best show in the history of television. Watch it today.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

Nope, American textbooks do not ignore the torching of D.C. anymore than they ignore the destruction of the Alamo or the Battle of Little Big Horn.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Durran Korr wrote:
Nope, American textbooks do not ignore the torching of D.C. anymore than they ignore the destruction of the Alamo or the Battle of Little Big Horn.
The textbooks mention it, yes. The actual schoolwork I've seen skips the entire section, but that might just be local bias.. In either case, maxima mea culpa.

Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Stormbringer wrote:Except you're projecting a phenomenon that doesn't exist onto the US. Japanese refusal to deal with WW2 and it's strange tendency to avoid any sort of reminders is well established.
But what about the US movies and their tendancy to gloss over everybody else's part in history? I submit U-571 and Saving Private Ryan as prime examples of US moives saying "We are better than everyone! Every turning point for the better has been because of us!"

So which is worse, Stormy: the Japanese entertainment industry glossing over the bad points of their own past or the US entertainment industry glossing over the good points of everybody else's history?
JADAFETWA
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

SirNitram wrote:
Trust me, there's no projection. Most nations tend to mention things like their capitol city burning down in enemy hands(Or your own, Fire of London). The Americans don't, and have a 'strange tendency' to gloss over 1812 and any reminders.
Washington wasn't burned, a couple of its public buildings where, and it was in 1814.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

I should also add that the War of 1812 is kind of acknowledged on a daily basis, with the singing of the national anthem at sporting events. :roll:

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Slartibartfast
Emperor's Hand

Post by Slartibartfast »

Stormbringer wrote:If it's intact enough to have super fucking carriers it wasn't too hard hit. And besides, when it's a US ship, UN flag one has to wonder why not just call it a US ship.
I'm not sure, should the persian gulf Air Forces be called the US Air Force? I mean, they mostly fly F-4s and F-5s...
Iceberg
ASVS Master of Laundry

Post by Iceberg »

Slartibartfast wrote:
I'm not sure, should the persian gulf Air Forces be called the US Air Force? I mean, they mostly fly F-4s and F-5s...
And F-14s (Iran), F-15s (Saudi Arabia) and F-16s (Israel).
"Carriers dispense fighters, which dispense assbeatings." - White Haven

| Hyperactive Gundam Pilot of MM | GALE | ASVS | Cleaners | Kibologist (beable) | DFB |
If only one rock and roll song echoes into tomorrow
There won't be anything to keep you from the distant morning glow.
I'm not a man. I just portrayed one for 15 years.
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Iirc Japan and GB have had very good relations for a long time. During the late 1800s to the early 1930s much of japan society, government and the court system been modeled after GB.
Well, yes and no. First off, the Japanese government was actually modelled after the German model! The germans at the time did have some democratic institutions, but really were based around the King, and the Japanese liked this. Although some of their top men did think the British system had mroe to offer, the majority of the Meji reformers afavored the german model.

I'm not going to get too deeply into history, but Japan and Britain did not really get along too well. They managed to avoid war and all, but the japanese always resented Britain's power, particularly naval power. Still, as far as it went, they cooperated on a purely self-interested level.
But what about the US movies and their tendancy to gloss over everybody else's part in history? I submit U-571 and Saving Private Ryan as prime examples of US moives saying "We are better than everyone! Every turning point for the better has been because of us!"
Saving Private Ryan was historically accurate as far as it went. U-571 was, in fact, widely condemned by critics for its historical twisting as for its bad acting. In any event, you may have a point, but this doesn't mean that Japan is innocent in this regard, either.

Its true that most US movies don't portray other militaries. However, this is slightly different from when the Japanese take obviously US power structures and, as its so obnoxiously stated "pussify" them. Its a sort of slap-in-the-face type thing.

And its probably true to some degree that the mecha things are a sort of "penis envy", however crassly that's is.
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Crossover_Maniac
Padawan Learner

Post by Crossover_Maniac »

Stormbringer wrote:More likely it's Japan's hard headed refusal to acknowledge that the US has a military. The usual fucked up cultural denial stemming from WW2. They hide any US military not being ripped apart by the Giant Japanese Phallic Symbol-bot behind the UN and all that even when it's clearly intended to be US.
If you think NGE is bad about Japanese jingoism, I suggest you avoid Read or Die like the plague. Let me put it like this: the President in RoD wets himself and a Japanese liberarian is more dangerous than the entire US navy.
"Nietzche is dead"-God
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Eva is not jingoistic, and that RoD example doesn't sound like jingoism, either...
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Xon
Sith Acolyte

Post by Xon »

Symmetry wrote:
... and on the other hand... And on the gripping hand
"Mote in God's Eye" reference! :D
"Okay, I'll have the truth with a side order of clarity." ~ Dr. Daniel Jackson.
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." ~ Stephen Colbert
"One Drive, One Partition, the One True Path" ~ ars technica forums - warrens - on hhd partitioning schemes.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

jeez...i am cut off from the internet for 4 days because my campus IT department insists on making everyone sign a form that our computers are free of blaster and patched (mine was, long before...but..idiots everywhere) and my thread spawned split ballons into this??!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Smiling Bandit
Jedi Master

Post by Smiling Bandit »

Japanese liberarian is more dangerous than the entire US navy.
Yeah, but RoD is alittle whacked even by the standards of most anime. ;)
ph3@r the k3oot3 0n3z
I thought this was a capture the b33r mod?!
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

ggs wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
... and on the other hand... And on the gripping hand
"Mote in God's Eye" reference! :D
Glad someone noticed :D
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Symmetry
Jedi Master

Post by Symmetry »

I'd actually recomend Gasaraki for the cool mechs. The disapointing ending and the politics mean I won't recomend you buy it, but its worth renting. The anit-US in it can probably be summed up as follows:

1: US gets its but kicked by mechs employed by an evil western corporation.

2: Said evil corporation uses its pull in the US military to set some members of it into conflict with our (Japanese) heros.

3: Due to a drought, the US stops exporting rice and Japan faces crisis. See "Japan is a small isolated trading nation precariously cut adrift in a hostile world."
SDN Rangers: Gunnery Officer

They may have claymores and Dragons, but we have Bolos and Ogres.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Crossover_Maniac wrote:If you think NGE is bad about Japanese jingoism, I suggest you avoid Read or Die like the plague. Let me put it like this: the President in RoD wets himself and a Japanese liberarian is more dangerous than the entire US navy.

I don't know about Eva. Haven't seen it yet though I'm borrowing a friend's DVDs. I don't think that it's so much jingoism as the no-US military thing is a rather fucked up reaction to WW2.

Of course RoD sounds like it's getting into that and worse but I've never seen it and never had any desire to.
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

Crossover_Maniac wrote: If you think NGE is bad about Japanese jingoism, I suggest you avoid Read or Die like the plague. Let me put it like this: the President in RoD wets himself and a Japanese liberarian is more dangerous than the entire US navy.

English librarian of Japanese descent. Her last name is "Readman", she's at least second-generation.
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

Andrew J. wrote:
Crossover_Maniac wrote: If you think NGE is bad about Japanese jingoism, I suggest you avoid Read or Die like the plague. Let me put it like this: the President in RoD wets himself and a Japanese liberarian is more dangerous than the entire US navy.

English librarian of Japanese descent. Her last name is "Readman", she's at least second-generation.
Plus, her partner's surname is "Drake". Also, besides a couple of them, all of the I-Jin clones are figures from Western history.
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Rubberanvil
Jedi Master

Post by Rubberanvil »

I should add GitS: SAC for for throwing in the United States Empire which is probably a jab at Bush Jr.