Mundane uses for super powers

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mundane uses for super powers

Post by Vendetta »

Samuel wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:The funny thing about super powers is that they are specially made to defeat Super VILLAINS. In the 'real world' I don't know if we have EVER Had a Super Villain, in truth, if people with super powers entered in the "real world" They would be very VEY Well taken care of and well paid in a vast variety of business projects,
Unless superheros are employed by opposing countries who use them for proxy fighting. Or if individuals who have power suffer from delusions of gradeur and wish to rule the world- or just their own country.
So... The Boys, then.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Telepaths as cops opens a massive can of worms for free societies. And I ponder it wouldn't take an A-list super-defense lawyer to get a confession from a telepathically-assisted interrogation ruled inadmissible on the grounds that it violated rights against self-incrimination or involved the violation of attorney-client privilege (if the lawyer tries to argue his quiet exchanges with his client were telepathically spied upon and abused in the interrogation).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Steve wrote:Telepaths as cops opens a massive can of worms for free societies. And I ponder it wouldn't take an A-list super-defense lawyer to get a confession from a telepathically-assisted interrogation ruled inadmissible on the grounds that it violated rights against self-incrimination or involved the violation of attorney-client privilege (if the lawyer tries to argue his quiet exchanges with his client were telepathically spied upon and abused in the interrogation).
That's raised in Top Ten, where one of the precinct interviewers is a psychic. They also have a negotiator with the Word of God, and a pathologist who can shrink herself.

In fact, "mundane uses of superpowers" is largely what Top Ten is about, because it's set in a city where everyone has superpowers, so they aren't special or interesting.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

That must have been the series where a man with Gravity Powers owned a loading company or something, only using his fast powers to make the loads lighter for his workers.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Steve wrote:Telepaths as cops opens a massive can of worms for free societies.
On the other hand, psychometry would be extremely useful for detective work.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Having the same powers as Johnny Smith, would make great detectives and historians. Touch the murder weapon and relive the murder. Or touch an ancient artifact to learn more about the past.

Superman would most likely be renamed Super Handyman. Super speed\strength, X-ray\heat vision, flight, invulnerability, etc... All of these powers would enable him to do just about anything. Mining, logging, fishing, farming, national defense, etc...

Speeders could also be used to generate electricity. They'd also be good at home building, auto mechanics (Impulse took apart an engine from fleeing crooks in a couple of seconds.), life guards, etc... Speeders have a whole range of careers open for them.

Telepaths would do great as interrogators as long as laws are put in place to bind them also in the same category of lawyer-client privilege (i.e. if the telepath comes across information pertaining to the suspect's conversation with their lawyer then the telepath is also bound not to use that information due to attorney-client privilege even if the information disclosed to the attorney would put the suspect in jail). High ranking telepaths could be hired by the Department of Justice to enforce those laws.

Telepath\empaths would make good psychologists\psychiatrists.

Pyrokinetics would do great in the smelting industry?

Psycokinetics would also have a whole range of careers open to them.

Intelligence agencies would love to have shape shifters working for them along with telepaths and those who can become invisible.

Those with super strength would be good at demolition, mining, construction, forestry.

Pick a super power and there is most likely a bunch of careers available to them
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

also on my list of Champions characters I've created that will NEVER get into Marvel/DC (though possibly Dark Horse or DC Vertigo) Grail (Celopatra Washington) a 60s radical's tyke bomb, concieved to have super powers via occult rituals, gets her powers from Isis and Hathor.

basically has your traditional fertility/healing/magic goddess powers, wears traditional anchient egyptian type outfit. (also has a "Disney Effect" which causes animals to flock to her, and even fierce ones won't hurt her (and her pet snake "Set" also serves as convient coverage.)

however growing up in a hippie commune she's very occomplished at growing crops/gardening. Spoiler
Yes, Mary Jane is one of her favorite plants, and the ones she grows are exceptionally large specimines (food of the gods large specimines) Needless to say, she makes some decent money.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Styphon wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:Which shouldn't work any better than the coal-to-diamond gimmick really, unless Clark's beard is a lot less invulnerable than every OTHER part of him or that mirror is a lot more resilient than is usual.
Back in the day (I ran across it in the early 90s, it may be present elsewhere) he used to do this trick with a piece of Kryptonian metal... which addresses the resilient mirror issue, but has a whole other problem in the "everything from Krypton is Super" brain bug.
[nerd alert]Actually it was a piece of the space probe that sent him to earth, specifically part of the outer shielding, and given that it survived FTL travel and re-entry into the atmosphere it's not *that* far fetched that it could survive his super vision.[/nerd alert]

And yes I read that comic once over ten years ago, when a piece of information enters my head it doesn't leave again.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.