True Blood is back! SPOILERS

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Re: True Blood is back! SPOILERS

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

LadyTevar wrote:Someone buy me the damned DVDs so I can actually watch this? Nit won't spring for HBO.
How's your internet? The whole thing is on http://www.surfthechannel.com.

Edit: I think True Blood's funniest moment was a few episodes ago when the Sherrif quit.

Sherrif, it looks like the body's missing its head.

...you know what? FUCK THIS JOB! I QUIT!
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:...you know what? FUCK THIS JOB! I QUIT!
Oh yeah, that was indeed great. Poor country cop freaking the fuck out because he gets bizarre murders piled on him.

Although I hope this is not the last we see of him, I like both the actor and the character a lot.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Damn. HBO seems to have shut down streaming sites, because I can't find it at my usual places.
ImageImage
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

Season 3 continues to be the best yet.
-Arlene. Just Arlene.
-Poor Lafayette. Nothing ever works out for him - vampire rape dungeons, bad romances...
-It's nice to see Tara being proactive this time. I can only hope Franklin will recover from the skullcrushing, and that she remembers that next time, taking a weapon with her might be an idea. She should have had more strength, though, after drinking up.
-Lot of vampire deaths. I hope they explore the ramifications of that later.
-Apparently werewolves work by the old white-hat/black-hat rule set.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Crown wrote:I disagree; I think there is something that is so twisted and dark lurking under the surface that it will shock when revealed; my theory illegal dog fighting with Tommy being the pup that's earning Jollee's (spell?) money.
I am Mystic Meg and I claim my £5! :mrgreen:

Great episode, I was afraid that a large chunk of it would be taken up by a possible flashback of Lorena's, but that didn't happen - which is good since True Blood is usually 8 episodes of build up and then 4 episodes of wrap up, and I just didn't want any more sidetracks.

If anyone was wondering what Talbert was muttering it was Greek, my favourite was; I've wasted my best years with you (Russell)! But you're not to blame, I'm to blame being an idiot! :lol:
loomer wrote: -It's nice to see Tara being proactive this time. I can only hope Franklin will recover from the skullcrushing, and that she remembers that next time, taking a weapon with her might be an idea. She should have had more strength, though, after drinking up.
Oh course he will, she should have used any of the bladed weapons and severed his head, so it's all set up for a Franklin revenge plot.
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

"Don't eat me, I'm pregnant. Oh God, that probably makes you want to eat me even more."
- Arlene, to Jessica, both being hilarious this episode.

Alan Ball once more shows why he can write characters the way nobody else on that writing staff can. There really was not a single character I did not like this time.

Tara was the badass character of the episode. I never thought I would say this, but she was actually great this episode instead of being a whiny brat.

Also great: Bill and Lorena scenes - wonderfully dark and very, very well acted. I really hope they do not kill Lorena this season (though I have a feeling they will) because I really like her as a character (and the actress is excellent IMO).

Russel is quickly becoming a magnificent bastard, especially with the fireplace conversation.

Bill - poor guy. He really had a bad week. Although I am once more impressed with his bravery. Trying to stake Russel and showing compassion to Lorena while she cut him up...

Eric - I think he is playing an excellent long game. Too bad that his revenge seems to take precedence over everything else.

Still not caring much about the Lafayette and Sam sidestory.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Looks like Thanas and I aren't the only ones unimpressed the Queen Sophie Ann. I really enjoyed Eric and Russel putting her in her place. Jessica continues to be delightful. :D

Finally, the return of tough girl Tara instead of insufferable, whiny codependent Tara.

I don't hate the Lafayette and Sam side stories, but they simply aren't as interesting as the vampire/werewolf main story.

The Bill and Lorena scenes were great. You could practically see the old emotional wounds being opened up.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I just don't GET Queen Sophie. Is she insane, stupid, or just so powerful that she can choose to ACT stupid and get away with it?
ImageImage
Koolaidkirby
Padawan Learner

Post by Koolaidkirby »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I just don't GET Queen Sophie. Is she insane, stupid, or just so powerful that she can choose to ACT stupid and get away with it?
Spoiler
In the books she was very "regal" for lack of a better word (of course she's eternally around the age of 14 in the books so she has the act the part to be taken seriously) and had the unique ability to communicate mentally with her created vampires, which lets her keep them around for hundreds of years where as most in universe created vampires usually leave their makers after a few decades. More importantly she is supplemented by her enforcer/chief bodyguard/right hand man Andre who is far more dangerous and calculating than she is and is the real power behind her.

The show version however cut this out and made her a narcissistic buffoon and unfortunately completely destroyed the character (unless this all somehow turns out to be part of her "plan")
Evil will always triumph over good, because good, is dumb
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Way to go Tara!

I would have used an Axe personally, but that's me. Never leave your opponent's head attached if you are going for the kill. At least against Supernatural creatures....

Anyway, very good episode. It had my wife going "WHAT THE FUCK" alot.

I wonder if Tara 'beat some brains' into Franklin. That would be an interesting twist....
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
lance
Jedi Master

Post by lance »

Eric went to her for information on the Maenad, and she is younger than him.
I think she spent a bit less time fucking around than other vampires, and more on knowing things.

Though that scene with the lottery tickets is a huge WTF.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

lance wrote:Eric went to her for information on the Maenad, and she is younger than him.
I think she spent a bit less time fucking around than other vampires, and more on knowing things.

Though that scene with the lottery tickets is a huge WTF.
That - as much as I loathe it - is actually in character for her. She likes silly human games, even more games of luck and chance (see her Yahtzee thrill last season - Maenad loose in my kingdom? Who cares. Let's play Yahtzee).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I think the TV version has her with some sort of insane luck ability.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Thanas wrote:Bill - poor guy. He really had a bad week. Although I am once more impressed with his bravery. Trying to stake Russel and showing compassion to Lorena while she cut him up....
I don't know if he was showing her compassion as much as trying to hurt her the only way he could: "I might have loved who you once were, but as you are now I can only hate you."
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
ShadowOfMadness
Youngling

Post by ShadowOfMadness »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:I think the TV version has her with some sort of insane luck ability.
Its the only explanation for her being in that position...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Johonebesus wrote:
Thanas wrote:Bill - poor guy. He really had a bad week. Although I am once more impressed with his bravery. Trying to stake Russel and showing compassion to Lorena while she cut him up....
I don't know if he was showing her compassion as much as trying to hurt her the only way he could: "I might have loved who you once were, but as you are now I can only hate you."

This is Bill we are talking about here - the guy is a giant wet blanket and a white knight rolled into one (or at least he tries to act like one now).
------------
------------
My LPs
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Thanas wrote:
Johonebesus wrote:

This is Bill we are talking about here - the guy is a giant wet blanket and a white knight rolled into one (or at least he tries to act like one now).
Right, the same guy who set Lorena on fire with an oil lamp, twisted her neck 180° while violently taking her, and has been telling her how monstrous she is and how much he hates her in just about every scene with her.
"Can you eat quarks? Can you spread them on your bed when the cold weather comes?" -Bernard Levin

"Sir: Mr. Bernard Levin asks 'Can you eat quarks?' I estimate that he eats 500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,001 quarks a day...Yours faithfully..." -Sir Alan Cottrell

Elohim's loving mercy: "Hey, you, don't turn around. WTF! I said DON'T tur- you know what, you're a pillar of salt now. Bitch." - an anonymous commenter
Faqa
Jedi Master

Post by Faqa »

Glad to see someone knocked some sense into the writing team. This is superb.

Best moment of the episode:

Jason: "Yeah, but there's a difference between you and me. And I'm gonna tell you what it is...."
*perfectly timed pause*

The look on Ryan Kwan's face is priceless. Am I the only one who finds his inadequacy issues with Mr Quarterback to be far more compelling than his romance thingy? It's uninteresting and lacks chemistry(though their theme is lovely). Plus.... uh, writers? You get ONE "True love at first sight" story card, and you done played it already on Bill and Sookie. So please, get rid of blond forest girl.

In other news: Lafayette gets called out for being a drug dealer! I mean, I love the character, but it needed to be addressed. Wonder if he's going to try to play the sympathy card, or mend his ways? I forsee a connection to Eric's lecture on how he approaches situations.

Though if he reforms, the only emotionally healthy human being on the show will be merely gay and black, as opposed to being a gay black drug dealer, which is infinitely less deliciously ironic. :P

Sam: *yawn* No, really, I just can't care. The family story can be interesting - the mother's speech to Tommy was a very visceral character moment. It just seems to play out so predictably.

Tara: YAY! This is the pile of ass-kicking awesomeness we all loved in season 1. Right down to not being terribly smart while angry. Sweetie, to kill a vampire, you CUT OFF HIS FUCKING HEAD. Especially when he's a psycho crazy hitman vampire with a stalker thing for you.

What I love about Franklin, though, is that the power dynamic there seems far closer to what a human-vampire relationship will always be like.

Beel and Lorayna, aka WE SPEAK! DRAHMATICALLY! WEETH HORRIBLE AYKSENTS! IN CAPITAL LETTERS!: Uh, because they do. Bill can pull it off(hell, it's the point of his character), Lorena can't, which is why she has always been so irritating to me. Although I find it amusing as hell that Bill apparantly picked up his manner of speech from her.

For all that, I did like their dialogue here. They actually worked for a change, and Lorena was able to effectively convey her pain without going over the top.

Eric: Uh... can he put royal bitches in their place more often? That was just awesome. Although we, like him, are mainly just waiting for something to happen at the moment.

Also - needz moar outrageously flamboyant French vampires. I'm just sayin'.
"Peace on Earth and goodwill towards men? We are the United States Goverment - we don't DO that sort of thing!" - Sneakers. Best. Quote. EVER.

Periodic Pwnage Pantry:

"Faith? Isn't that another term for ignorance?" - Gregory House

"Isn't it interesting... religious behaviour is so close to being crazy that we can't tell them apart?" - Gregory House

"This is usually the part where people start screaming." - Gabriel Sylar
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

One thing that's struck me about the King and his consort is that they really, really feel like an old married couple. I don't know if its writing or acting, but they do a great job.
ImageImage
Johonebesus
Jedi Master

Post by Johonebesus »

Faqa wrote:The look on Ryan Kwan's face is priceless. Am I the only one who finds his inadequacy issues with Mr Quarterback to be far more compelling than his romance thingy? It's uninteresting and lacks chemistry(though their theme is lovely). Plus.... uh, writers? You get ONE "True love at first sight" story card, and you done played it already on Bill and Sookie. So please, get rid of blond forest girl.
That one is from the novels, and it's not exactly true love at first sight.Spoiler
She's a werepanther, he gets infected, and they get married. She cheats on him, and due to some stupid werepanther laws, Sookie has to crush her father's hand. She gets pregnant, is murdered by some crazy fairies, and a gay werepanther that was in love with Jason gets the blame and is torn to shreds by his kin.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Johonebesus wrote:Right, the same guy who set Lorena on fire with an oil lamp, twisted her neck 180° while violently taking her, and has been telling her how monstrous she is and how much he hates her in just about every scene with her.
Yes. However, look at his face and behaviour during those scenes and the scene there. Completely different.
Faqa wrote: Also - needz moar outrageously flamboyant French vampires. I'm just sayin'.
Greek, actually.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I usually do not read Television without pity, but somebody pointed this piece out to me, which I happen to agree with.
So apparently Lorena was, in her turn, a procurer for her maker -- Istvan, whom we've not heard of before -- and she got stuck doing Suddenly Last Summer bait-and-switch for him. That is really interesting, if you follow it, not least because making a girl do that is about one of the most disenfranchising things you could do. So then fast-forward and she's all alone in the South looking for company, and she lures these men in and tries to find the right one and feeds on the others -- kiss a lot of frogs, etc. -- and in effect becoming her own Istvan. A whore for her own self. That is truly crazy, if she kept the image of herself as his panderer while also telling herself -- for who knows how long? -- that this was her true nature, like she's always going on about.

And then she finally finds this prince, an actual great guy, who turns out to hate her and everything she stands for, and who basically carries the good part of her in his hands, and... Tells her she can't have it. We're piecing it together, but it flows. Because then Bill's reaction to that, overcorrection and assumptions about his true nature, carry over into his treatment of Jessica, who is only now learning to grow past the terrible things he's done to her in trying to raise her right. So on the one hand you have Jessica, who maybe will redeem the bloodline, and now all of a sudden we're learning about this Istvan, who may or may not still be around but represents the branching head of it. Right?

Okay but then compare to the other few bloodlines we know about: Godric to Eric to Pam (1) -- which is Spartan and beautiful and pure in a lot of ways, and interesting because it's always about teamwork and near-equality and respect and pedagogy -- and Russell to Talbot (2), which stretches so far back that it looks almost normal but is also childless, for reasons that we've seen put a certain pain in Talbot's eyes. And there's Sophie-Anne and Ludis and the rest of her Children we haven't met (3), but I don't remember how much we know about that other than that she likes to keep 'em close.

And all three are royal bloodlines too, don't forget: They are the best and the brightest and have risen the farthest, in sharp contrast to the Istvan line which, at least starting with Lorena-Bill-Jessica, is very young and untrained indeed. And since there's nothing here that isn't a metaphor, and especially given the emphasis on Stackhouse genetics [and the Were Packs, and whatever Hotshot thing], it seems to me that these four families -- and there are at least fifty others in our country alone, just counting royalty -- explicitly and intentionally have something to say about the nature of family itself: If last year was a chess game [albeit between three cults], this year is Falcon Crest. Which makes the Bill and Lorena stuff in this episode fascinating, because not only is it what it is, but it's also a sort of brutal drunk Thanksgiving Dinner throwdown.

Further: "He made you his mirror, just as you tried to make me yours. He is the reason that a girl who once marveled in the beauty of all life now delights in bringing pain and horror to every moment... Your nature was never mine! I welcome death. Because only then will I be truly free of the disease that is you!"

Very dramatic, but viewed in terms of dysfunction -- and what Bill still doesn't understand as abusive parenting on his part, which we always knew had to do with Lorena but now see goes back even further -- almost entirely true. Tara learned that lesson last year, with her own mother; she is still learning it, just like Jesus coming out of Lafayette's relationship with his. Think back to the season premiere, when death seemed like the only way Tara could get free of her own mother/disease.

I really think this is going to be the underlying theme of this year - families and their history.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Imperial Overlord wrote:Finally, the return of tough girl Tara instead of insufferable, whiny codependent Tara.
As I put it to one of my friends who also watches, Tara got a little blunt with Franklin, and he lost his head.

But as stated elsewhere, she should have decapitated him. I doubt what she did will cause true death.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

The Dark wrote:
But as stated elsewhere, she should have decapitated him. I doubt what she did will cause true death.
In some universes vampires go bye-bye when you smash their skulls to pulp and redecorate in their brain matter. Others have total annihilation of the skull or decapitation and others require special procedures (although True Blood clearly doesn't fall into that category). One way or the other, we're going to find out in the near future.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Imperial Overlord wrote:
The Dark wrote:
In some universes vampires go bye-bye when you smash their skulls to pulp and redecorate in their brain matter. Others have total annihilation of the skull or decapitation and others require special procedures (although True Blood clearly doesn't fall into that category). One way or the other, we're going to find out in the near future.
True, but the previous deaths have been rather spectacular (Godric disintegrating, Longshadow and Eddie and Anonymous Mississippian Vampire #37 exploding). Admittedly, this is a different manner of approaching the killing of a vampire, but I'm dubious as to whether it worked, since there was nothing obvious to demonstrate that he was actually dead. As you said, we'll see :D .
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore