"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

"World War Hulk" - Commentary and Discussion

Post by Steve »

Since World War Hulk #1 is supposed to come out this Wednesday, I figured I'd go ahead and start the commentary thread for it. Since, frankly, I don't get to start these very often, not since I used to beam JME to JLU Talkback threads. :)

So, is everyone ready for HULK SMASH STUPID POST-CIVIL WAR EARTH!!! and plenty of mayhem? I know I am. :twisted:

*cues Holst's "Mars, God of War" and spins in chair General Chang style*

CRY HAVOC AND LET SLIP THE DOGS OF WAR!!! :twisted: :twisted:

(Alternatively, is everyone ready to tar and feather Joe Quesada and co if they fuck this up too and indulge in more wank for their Registration heroes?)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

GRAAAAAH. STEVE SMASH PUNY TYPOES!!!!!!

*ahem*

It's supposed to be "beat JME", not "beam JME".

And now for something completely different.....
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Amadeus Cho is my hero. The guy is constantly embarrassing Mr. Fantastic's intelligence and insulting Tony Stark.

Which is really too bad. I actually quite liked Mr. Fantastic; he acts like someone with Asperger's (like me), missing social behavior and being obsessed with numbers, so I could actually relate with the character.

Then Civil War came along and he acted like a complete jerk. (Considering that people with Asperger's tend to be extremely loyal/faithful toward family and friends, and usually hate sudden changes, one could almost call it out of character, since he acted exactly like an Aspie pre-Civil War).

Actually, Mr. Fantastic rather reminds me of Dr. Claw during this whole thing. He's constantly watching Amadeus on monitors, sending lackeys after him, being Big Brother, and overall acting like a villain.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Wish there was an edit button.

I'm half expecting Mr. Fantastic to go, "I'll get you next time, Cho, next time!" and of course, Iron Man needs some kind of trademark evil laugh.

I want to see the tin can get Hulk Smashed. BTW, did anyone else love the mini-comic in World War Hulk Prologue?

Iron Man: "The Hulk's coming back!"
Mr. Fantastic: "He's going to smash everything on the face of the earth!"
Namor: "I live under water."
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Namor:"Banner will come back from whence you send him and he will kill you all! And he'll be right."

Namor - Smarter than Reed Richards and Tony Stark.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Praxis wrote:Amadeus Cho is my hero. The guy is constantly embarrassing Mr. Fantastic's intelligence and insulting Tony Stark.
In addition, he came up with a way to neutralize the power-neutralizing nanites that the Intiative is using.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I looked at the previews and Amadeus mentioned that the Hulk had a pardon for his crimes. So exactly what justification, other than that he's a potential danger, do they have for sending him away if the president doesn't seem to think he should be punished for anything he might have done as the Hulk anymore?

Criminals might be one thing, but is the Hulk even considered one at that point?
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Pardon's don't cover new crimes, I think he was sent up for a nasty rampage in Vegas mainly.

The She-Hulk lead-in to WWH was awesome, IMO, simply because it had 2 things 1) She-hulk calling Stark's behavior akin to Dr. Doom, 2) Jennifer Walters has threatened to get litigatious at Stark.

If he survives WWH, he is SO going to be screwed.

I like the concept of Reed having Asbergers syndrome. largley because I live with a child psychologist who sees multiple cases each month.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
DarkSilver
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarkSilver »

I enjoyed the prequel, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the whole series.

Hulk will Smash and Smash well.
XBL: Darek Silver | Wii Friend: 5602 6414 0598 0225
LibriumArcana - Roleplaying, Fiction, Irreverence
Trekker (TOS, TNG/DS9-Era) | Warsie (semi-movie purist) | B5'er | TransFan
Cult of Vin Diesel: While it is well known that James Earl Jones performed the voice of Darth Vader, it is less appreciated that Vin Diesel performs the voice of James Earl Jones.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Majin Gojira wrote:Pardon's don't cover new crimes, I think he was sent up for a nasty rampage in Vegas mainly.
He wasn't sent up as punishment, he was sent up a preventative measure.

In Vegas he killed 30 or so people, Stark killed over 200 when he blew up a plane.

Yet nobody sent the pretty boy into outer space.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Really? Cause didn't Hank create a couple of robots that nearly killed the Avengers? Ultron and the thing that he created after he'd been kicked off the Avengers?

Sure, not on purpose, but I doubt Bruce Banner means to kill people as the Hulk either.

Speaking of which, why not send the Punisher into space? I'm betting he's killed as many or more people than the Hulk. And usually with a heck of a lot more intention.

This is getting better and better. The young upstart making fools of the established "heroes." And rubs their noses in the mess they've made of things. :D
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Edit: By which I mean, what if Hank does it again, since he's already done it twice?

And the Punisher will kill more people. Cause he's the goddamn Punisher.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

The Punisher is popular with the people and the wife beater was Time's man of year.

The Hulk got sent into space because he is inconvenient from a PR standpoint.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

The Hulk feels for you Paris Hilton. Both victims being taken advantage of by the Man.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I don't think a Ms Hilton tantrum would result in the evacuation of Manhattan.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

To be honest the Hulk was worth keeping on earth just because he is a great weapon of last defence against aliens, earth bound super threats and extra dimensional foes.

Killing a few dozen people a year is acceptable collateral damage for saving the world in the same period of time.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Steve wrote:GRAAAAAH. STEVE SMASH PUNY TYPOES!!!!!!

*ahem*

It's supposed to be "beat JME", not "beam JME".
Touche.

(Seriously, if you possess any manner of beaming technology, howsabout beaming me to Vegas, hmm? :wink: )
SylasGaunt
Sith Acolyte

Post by SylasGaunt »

TheDarkling wrote: In Vegas he killed 30 or so people, Stark killed over 200 when he blew up a plane.

Yet nobody sent the pretty boy into outer space.
And that's not counting all the other bullshit tony has pulled to (didn't he mindwipe the whole planet once or something like that?). But then again it's angry pissed off hulk vs. people who think you should register with te government if you're too smart and beat up puppies so this should be a lot of fun.. though I will have a righteous fury if Irondouche doesn't have something extremely unpleasant happen to him.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

That is quite possibly the greatest avatar I have ever seen.

Stark should lose his position as head of SHIELD, since he recently almost started a war with North Korea, invaded China without authority, failed to defend DC against the inhumans and is sleeping with a mass murder who he sprung from jail (and who is now going to be working for the Mandarin).

Add in the entire Hulk fiasco and he shouldn't see daylight for twenty years, but somehow he will get away with it all.

Good old teflon Tony, accountability is a great idea for other people.
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Wait Iron Douche is dating who now? What mass murderer? Could you bring me up to speed please, i've fallen behind in the story arcs.

Oh and...yeah that just confirms my fear that they actually ARE trying to make Tony "Morals? What's that?" Stark into a new supervillain. I guess they looked at the public outcry around the whole Hal Jordan-Parallax fiasco and figured they could do better. :roll:
Kanye West Saves.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Wait Iron Douche is dating who now? What mass murderer? Could you bring me up to speed please, i've fallen behind in the story arcs.
Maya something or other, she created the Extremis virus which gives Tony his new powers.

She first tested it on some militia nutter who promptly killed a lot of people, almost killed Ironman and then headed for DC to wipe out the Federal government.

She was then found out and put in jail.

Tony late broke her out of jail because he needed her help (so much for law and order right) and then he hid her during civil war until he got his new powers at which point he got her assigned to SHIELD as his biotech advisor.

At that point he shacked up with her (much to Miriam Sharpe's disapproval).

Recently Tony (and Maya's) old professor was killed by something the Mandarin has cooked up, Maya blames Tony for not proceeding with a roll-out of Extremis and agrees to the governments idea of creating Extremis soldiers for them.

She is then assigned to a biotech company working for the government which is being headed by...... you guessed it, the Mandarin in disguise.
Oh and...yeah that just confirms my fear that they actually ARE trying to make Tony "Morals? What's that?" Stark into a new supervillain. I guess they looked at the public outcry around the whole Hal Jordan-Parallax fiasco and figured they could do better. :roll:
The Marvel blokes in charge just don't see it that way, according to Millar Tony is the hero of civil war.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

I am not going to get WWH 1 until several days later, so I guess I will have to stay out of this thread.

Despite being like the first person to start reading Planet Hulk here. :P
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Wait Iron Douche is dating who now? What mass murderer? Could you bring me up to speed please, i've fallen behind in the story arcs
Dude, Iron Man sleeps with EVERYONE. It shouldn't be a big surprise.

In fact, he slept with She-Hulk.

Even more reason for Jen to be ticked with him.

Also:

Sucks to be Tony Stark. Thor's gonna be TICKED.

I wonder who's gonna get to him first; Hulk, She-Hulk, Thor, or Spider-Man (who swore Tony would pay if anything happened to his family because Tony made him unmask)? Tony seems to have a list of enemies these days.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

I think all four of them should get together and take Tony on a pub crawl.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

TheDarkling wrote:Namor:"Banner will come back from whence you send him and he will kill you all! And he'll be right."

Namor - Smarter than Reed Richards and Tony Stark.
why am I now picturing the hulk in a yellow jumpsuit and carrying a hanzo katana...

but then we would have to change the title to "Kill Stark"

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin