Superman's New (temporary) Look

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

RogueIce
_______

Superman's New (temporary) Look

Post by RogueIce »

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/crush/superm ... keover/488
Superman Gets a Hipster Makeover
posted by Josh Duboff - Tue Oct 26 2010, 11:28 AM PDT

Superman has a new look, and the redrawn Man of Steel now more closely resembles a a vampiric Robert Pattinson or a sulky member of My Chemical Romance than a hunky matinee idol.

The new Superman will appear in "Superman: Earth One," a graphic novel by writer J. Michael Straczynski and artist Shane Davis that retells the superhero's origin story. While the iconic superhero retains his dark mane and defined six pack, he now has a decidedly more emo vibe -- pale, leaner, and brooding. (No need to get too worked up, Superman loyalists: This new graphic novel series doesn't replace the original comics, but rather will serve as a "reinterpretation" of his younger years.)

The Superhero Universe seems to have been increasingly influenced by what could be termed the "Twilight Effect," as Wonder Woman was given a similarly "edgy" makeover in June when her "bustier and hotpants" were traded out for a blue biker jacket and a trendy new hair style.

In the words of the New York Post, the new Man of Steel "wears hoodies" and "has smoldering eyes"; and as Clark Kent, he wears low-cut pants and skinny ties. So basically Superman has turned into a full-on hipster.

DC Comics co-publisher Dan DiDio described the graphic novel -- in book stores November 2 -- with adjectives more typically used to hype new CW dramas.

"We wanted to tell a story that's hip, sexy, and moody," he said.

Hopefully Jon Hamm -- the front-runner (at least in the eyes of Internet commenters and fanboy director Kevin Smith) for the role of Superman in the upcoming Zack Snyder reboot -- will take note of this development. Now would probably be a good time to invest in some hipster glasses and ironic t-shirts, Jon.
*sigh*

Well, at least it's just for one story, and not a permanent makeover.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Superman's New (temporary) Look

Post by FaxModem1 »

Well, who knows, maybe this will start a wave of Lois Lane comics with her angsting about how Superman is too perfect and beautiful and she wishes she could be with him.

Seriously, I doubt it'll do much.
Revy
Jedi Knight

Post by Revy »

Why is this giving me Deja-vu? ... oh, that's right, Devil may Cry. I thought it sounded familiar.
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I know that when I started wearing a hoodie and developed heat vision I became a hipster overnight.

Apparently one phrase ("Superman + Twilight lol") from a New York Post story has caused tons of seething Internet nerdrage. Bet that writer's getting a promotion.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

This new graphic novel series doesn't replace the original comics, but rather will serve as a "reinterpretation" of his younger years.
I'm not sure why his youth needs "reinterpretation." How does the emo, hoodie-wearing version of Clark Kent grow up into anything resembling Superman?
So basically Superman has turned into a full-on hipster.
Does anybody else not buy the idea of Superman being hip in any way? What he stands for is the polar opposite of being trendy. He's supposed to be an example to others. How can he be an example to anybody if he mopes his way through life in a hoodie and a smart-ass geek t-shirt? That sort of person doesn't grow up to become anyone called the Man of Steel.
Hopefully Jon Hamm -- the front-runner (at least in the eyes of Internet commenters and fanboy director Kevin Smith) for the role of Superman in the upcoming Zack Snyder reboot -- will take note of this development. Now would probably be a good time to invest in some hipster glasses and ironic t-shirts, Jon.
I truly hope not. I'd hate to think this foolishness will find it's way into a movie. This goes double if that movie ends up starring Jon Hamm. I have no interest in watching him look like Clark Kent having a midlife crisis.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Kodiak
Jedi Master

Post by Kodiak »

Anguirus wrote:I know that when I started wearing a hoodie and developed heat vision I became a hipster overnight.

Apparently one phrase ("Superman + Twilight lol") from a New York Post story has caused tons of seething Internet nerdrage. Bet that writer's getting a promotion.
I guess that's what inspired This Comic
Image PRFYNAFBTFCP
Captain of the MFS Frigate of Pizazz +2 vs. Douchebags - Est vicis pro nonnullus suscito vir

"Are you an idiot? What demand do you think there is for aircraft carriers that aren't government?" - Captain Chewbacca

"I keep my eighteen wives in wonderfully appointed villas by bringing the underwear of god to the heathens. They will come to know God through well protected goodies." - Gandalf

"There is no such thing as being too righteous to understand." - Darth Wong
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

That sort of person doesn't grow up to become anyone called the Man of Steel.
What a dumb fucking thing to say. Do you often dismiss people's entire existence because they wear hoodies?

When this story broke it immediately sounded like some idiot applying a liberal (and attention-grabbing) interpretation of a single image to make it a bullshit pop culture story that will never get a follow-up. I then read a very positive review of the actual book. Earth One is just DC's latest attempt to ape the Marvel Ultimate imprint. JMS wrote the book under the editorial guideline "How does a young Superman find his place in the world in 2010?" I think that is a potentially interesting story.

But hey, congratulations on being ~150 pounds (+ or - 100 pounds) of seething Internet nerdrage.

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Revy wrote:Why is this giving me Deja-vu? ... oh, that's right, Devil may Cry. I thought it sounded familiar.
Nah, he doesn't look like an emaciated recovering meth addict.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
CDiehl
Jedi Master

Post by CDiehl »

What a dumb fucking thing to say. Do you often dismiss people's entire existence because they wear hoodies?
No. I don't see how someone gets from a stereotypical emo teenager to standing for Truth, Justice and the American Way.
JMS wrote the book under the editorial guideline "How does a young Superman find his place in the world in 2010?" I think that is a potentially interesting story.
I'd like to believe he'd come up with an interesting story. I just don't like the starting point of the character as described in the OP, because I think it's trite and turns Superman into a clone of the X-Men, which he certainly isn't.

I can only think of two answers to the question "How does a young Superman find his place in the world in 2010?"

1. He doesn't, or at least he doesn't end up being Superman. Modern society doesn't emphasize the values with which Superman is associated nearly as much as they did in the 1930's.
2. Same as he did originally, because Truth, Justice and the American Way still work. Again, based on the decription from the OP, I doubt DC is interested in him being attached to those ideals. They're the antithesis of being cool, hip or edgy.
For the glory of Gondor, I sack this here concession stand!
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I can only think of two answers to the question "How does a young Superman find his place in the world in 2010?"
Glad you're not writing the book then. lol superficial resemblance to a subculture I despise for an ill-defined reason means the character can't be honest, just, and have American values

And have you paid any attention to DC lately? They are balls-deep in Silver Age nostalgia, to the point of killing or marginalizing all of their minority heroes to bring back their white predecessors from the '70s. DC loves the fucking shit out of all their old-school heroes, especially Superman. And if you've ever read JMS wax poetic about Superman, you'd know that he gets the righteousness of the character as well.
I'd like to believe he'd come up with an interesting story. I just don't like the starting point of the character as described in the OP, because I think it's trite and turns Superman into a clone of the X-Men, which he certainly isn't.
The OP is second-order idiocy. It's an idiotic blog post about an idiotic MSM article.

-Tanasinn
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Yes, things like the "hero box" certainly show how well JMS gets Superman as a character.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

We already have an emo Superman. Hasn't anyone watched Smallville? :)

As for the look, it is fine by me if it is used as an Elseworlds or whatever name DC uses for a non-canonical comic.

But if they are going for an super powered emo bitch then how the hell does he become "Superman" not the least a world class reporter?

Wouldn't he be hiding in some dark cave bemoaning the collapse of western society and snort some powdered Kryptonite? :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I give up. It's good to know that anyone "emo" (whatever the fuck that means) can't be a hero. Or a journalist. I'm probably not even going to read this thing, so just go ahead and freak out for no reason. It's not worth defending from the secondhand readership of the New York Post.

-Tanasinn
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It's one Valendamned picture. No, I don't think the man who would become the Man of Steel should be going about in garb like that regularly, but far all I know it was raining at the time and he was just trying to stay dry. Heck given he appears to be wearing the Big Blue duds underneath for all we know he just randomly grabbed stuff off a washing line somewhere to keep his cover.
Unless anybody here has actually already read this, we really haven't got anything to go on.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

The only thing weird is the eyes, but I guess that might be what they look light just before he hits you with a heat ray.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Samuel wrote:The only thing weird is the eyes, but I guess that might be what they look light just before he hits you with a heat ray.
They've been using that or similar as the heat-vision preglow look for quite some time so that's entirely possible.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Looking through Yahoo News, apparently DC wants to do the same with Batman as they are doing to Superman.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Jesus. Wonder if they'll do Wonder Woman or the Flash too. :roll:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Srelex wrote:Jesus. Wonder if they'll do Wonder Woman or the Flash too. :roll:
As far as I understand, they already did that with Wonder Woman.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Oh Jesus Christ. He doesn't even look emo, and even if he did, why should we give a shit?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Lord of the Abyss
Village Idiot

Post by Lord of the Abyss »

Ah, that picture. I think of it as the "Alex Mercer Just Ate Superman" picture.
"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
Bottlestein
Racist Pig Fucker

Post by Bottlestein »

Guys - hipster and emo aren't the same thing. I know because I've lurked Garbage Day's articles on Something Awful :lol:

No but seriuosly - Superman can't wear a hoodie. How will a mang with x-ray vision see around him if he's wearing a hoodie ?!!? 8)
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Once I get around to reading this I'll let you know how it is (It's still in shrinkwrap).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Enigma wrote:We already have an emo Superman. Hasn't anyone watched Smallville? :)

As for the look, it is fine by me if it is used as an Elseworlds or whatever name DC uses for a non-canonical comic.

But if they are going for an super powered emo bitch then how the hell does he become "Superman" not the least a world class reporter?

Wouldn't he be hiding in some dark cave bemoaning the collapse of western society and snort some powdered Kryptonite? :)
This. He put it better than I could, whats more, LOOK at the smallville example, THATS a shitty superman, half the time the problem in the episode is that Clark DIDN'T step up when he knew he should have because he was busy brooding.
Bottlestein wrote:
No but seriuosly - Superman can't wear a hoodie. How will a mang with x-ray vision see around him if he's wearing a hoodie ?!!? 8)
It's a CRAP! I'm not thinking he'll have trouble seeing, more about how he will look. Is Superman Chilly? Is Superman uncomfortable with his Body?

How big would that hoodie be too, like a size XXX? personally, I wear hoodies a lot, Because I Have Hypothyroidism, and dislike being chilly.. when i am in marathon shape i pull off the look quite well being skinny and bony, when it is winter, and i am weight training.. I'm not gonna lie, I have been told that people with muscular shoulders and a vanishing neck should not wear hoodies. How would they draw this exactly without making Superman skinny...

See Batman would make an awesome Hipster. Superman is iconic old school farmboy apple pie right is right and right is wrong, That doesn't really work with a hipster vibe, nor an emo vibe.

All of that being said, DC will do what it always does. Superman's appearance changes subtly over time to keep the look as current as possible give the underwear on the outside and the cape. i'm not really that serious about superficial changes, but I really don't want them start writing Superman as batman.

"Since when is "the west" a nation?"-Styphon
"ACORN= Cobra obviously." AMT
This topic is... oh Village Idiot. Carry on then.--Havok
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

He looks like Alex Mercer. Thats not emo at all.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.