JLU "Flashpoint" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

JME2
Emperor's Hand

JLU "Flashpoint" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Post by JME2 »

Original Airdate - July 2nd, 2005

To avenge a fallen comrade, Superman declares war on Cadmus.

Please wait until the episode has aired in your respective timezone before commenting. Other than that, as always, enjoy...
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

For the record, I agree with Green Arrow.

But with that gun firing, the war is now on, whether anyone wanted it or not...
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
zannal
Redshirt

Post by zannal »

Muhahah! An army of the second tier Justice Friends.
Humm, now that i said that out loud, it doesnt sound so intimidating :? Well, if they fight smart (filling the room up with water when fighting Aquaman?) the Justice League could have a problem.
Trogdor
Sith Devotee

Post by Trogdor »

Interesting trick Captain Atom pulled with red sun radiation. Of course, it makes one wonder why he didn't just use kryptonite radiation instead.
"I want to mow down a bunch of motherfuckers with absurdly large weapons and relative impunity - preferably in and around a skyscraper. Then I want to fight a grim battle against the unlikely duo of the Terminator and Robocop. The last level should involve (but not be limited to) multiple robo-Hitlers and a gorillasaurus rex."--Uraniun235 on his ideal FPS game

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force."--Darth Vader
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

The best way to sum up this episode is pretty much "Shit, meet fan." Like "Question Authority", we had great dialogue, especially in the argument in the Control Womb.

Also, even more so than "Dark Heart", I really got Akira vibes this time (as I did during ROTJ -- though here's a fun thought. What if it was the JLU's cannon that spurred the development of the Hyperion-class laser sattelites?)

Speaking of vibes, I stand by the AOTC vibe that was said in the Speculation Thread regarding the legion of Ultimen at the end:

"As my first act, I will create a Grand Army of Superfriends to counter the increasing threats of the Justice League."

Either way, Nitram's right; the war's on...
18-Till-I-Die
Emperor's Hand

Post by 18-Till-I-Die »

Damn i missed it! :cry: S'okay i'll catch it tomarrow...

Just answer me this...please...

Cadmus...works for Darkseid doesnt it? That manly black chick is like, Granny Goodness or something, right? I've been thinking about that ever since this whole 'civil war on Apokalips' stuff popped up and that old crossover Legends came to mind.

(In Legends Darkseid did the same thing basically, used influences over the general public, in that case mind control, to make teh JLA out to be 'threats'. It also involved Capt Marvel becoming disillusioned with superhero-ing...maybe i'm reaching but it seemed like they were starting towards the Legends storyline in a way)

So am i close or am i way off?
Kanye West Saves.

Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

18-Till-I-Die wrote:Damn i missed it! :cry: S'okay i'll catch it tomarrow...

Cadmus...works for Darkseid doesnt it? That manly black chick is like, Granny Goodness or something, right? I've been thinking about that ever since this whole 'civil war on Apokalips' stuff popped up and that old crossover Legends came to mind.

(In Legends Darkseid did the same thing basically, used influences over the general public, in that case mind control, to make teh JLA out to be 'threats'. It also involved Capt Marvel becoming disillusioned with superhero-ing...maybe i'm reaching but it seemed like they were starting towards the Legends storyline in a way)

Way, way off.

In the supremely underwhelming final episode of this arc (the second-last episode of the season) it's revealed that the whole thing was just a dastardly plot by Brainiac, who was using Lex Luthor as a pawn for the series' entire run.)
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Actually saw it tonight, and DAMN!

I expected the laser to do more damage, but I guess most of that damage dug into the target.

Anybody want to try and crunch the numbers, or has someone already done that?
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Amusing... use the aerosol on Question, and not only does the mask come off, his hair is actually RED! :lol:

Still, that was very touching scene between Huntress and Question, and a very pointed one between Question and Supes.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Morat
Padawan Learner

Post by Morat »

Drooling Iguana wrote:

Way, way off.

In the supremely underwhelming final episode of this arc (the second-last episode of the season) it's revealed that the whole thing was just a dastardly plot by Brainiac, who was using Lex Luthor as a pawn for the series' entire run.)
I disagree. As I understand it...

From the last few episodes of the series:
Luthor was acting autonomously throughout the entire series (just as he was acting autonomously whenever he spoke through his own mouth after Brainiac revealed himself). Luthor wasn't even aware of Brainiac, which we can be sure of in that Luthor didn't know how he had been cured. Brainiac was just hiding out and occasionally planting some ideas in Luthor's head, waiting for an opportunity to strike. That's what it seemed like to me, anyway.
Grasscutter
Padawan Learner

Post by Grasscutter »

I just started watching JLU and this low-end Superman takes getting used to. I was screaming at him to just fly out and disable the energy weapon, and when he finally did I was dumbstruck when he didn't make it in time. I need for them to release this show on DVD, I have lots of catching up to do . :oops:
Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Grasscutter wrote:I just started watching JLU and this low-end Superman takes getting used to. I was screaming at him to just fly out and disable the energy weapon, and when he finally did I was dumbstruck when he didn't make it in time. I need for them to release this show on DVD, I have lots of catching up to do . :oops:
That scene kinda bothered me as well, but for different reasons. Wasn't it fairly well established that the Timm-verse Superman couldn't survive in space? I know that he had to wear a pressure suit when he and the rest of the Justice League were trying to stop Amazo from returning to Earth. He also screamed audiably when being hit by the beam which, of course, shouldn't happen in space, regardless of whether or not you're the Last Son of Krypton.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
Grasscutter wrote:I just started watching JLU and this low-end Superman takes getting used to. I was screaming at him to just fly out and disable the energy weapon, and when he finally did I was dumbstruck when he didn't make it in time. I need for them to release this show on DVD, I have lots of catching up to do . :oops:
That scene kinda bothered me as well, but for different reasons. Wasn't it fairly well established that the Timm-verse Superman couldn't survive in space? I know that he had to wear a pressure suit when he and the rest of the Justice League were trying to stop Amazo from returning to Earth. He also screamed audiably when being hit by the beam which, of course, shouldn't happen in space, regardless of whether or not you're the Last Son of Krypton.
There's always been sound in space in the Timm-verse.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Morat wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:

Way, way off.

I disagree. As I understand it...

From the last few episodes of the series:
Luthor was acting autonomously throughout the entire series (just as he was acting autonomously whenever he spoke through his own mouth after Brainiac revealed himself). Luthor wasn't even aware of Brainiac, which we can be sure of in that Luthor didn't know how he had been cured. Brainiac was just hiding out and occasionally planting some ideas in Luthor's head, waiting for an opportunity to strike. That's what it seemed like to me, anyway.
Of course, Luthor's defense team will claim it's the fomer. 8)
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

I'm still trying to get over how super-powered Captain Atom is. Has he ever been able to slap Supes around before?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm still trying to get over how super-powered Captain Atom is. Has he ever been able to slap Supes around before?
it wasn't so much Cap slapping Big Blue around as the red sun radiation...

seriously, it worked for Spider-man
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Molyneux
Emperor's Hand

Post by Molyneux »

Drooling Iguana wrote:
He can't survive in space for an extended period of time, but he's always been able to do short jaunts with no ill effects; he can oxygenate his blood more thoroughly than a normal human, and his forcefield protects him from decompression, at least until he starts running out of air.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Styphon wrote:
CaptainChewbacca wrote:I'm still trying to get over how super-powered Captain Atom is. Has he ever been able to slap Supes around before?
it wasn't so much Cap slapping Big Blue around as the red sun radiation...
I saw that fight as Cap. Atom working off of a brainbug and getting beaten because of it.

Red sun radiation doesn't depower Superman, he just can't charge himself off of it. A lot of their fighting was actual superstrength on Cap. Atoms part (among his listed powers in Task Force X).