Which DC titles to drop?

FAN: Discuss various fictional worlds that don't qualify for SF.

Moderator: Steve

Hades
Jedi Knight

Which DC titles to drop?

Post by Hades »

I'm currently torn about what titles to continue getting post IC

I currently get

Nightwing
Robin
Justice league
Green lantern
Green lantern corps
Atom
Blue beatle
Supergirl
Legion of superheros
Flash
Ion
Teen titans

And im strapped for cash at the mo so need to drop a few.
My current thinking is to drop
Atom - it's just not interesting me enough
Supergirl - dito
And legion of superheros - It dosnt really effect any of the others like the others have the potential to do.

Any one know of any reason i should keep getting the above titles? any good up-coming storylines?

Or are there any more on my list you think i have good reason to ditch?
If at first you dont succeed.... destroy all evidence you ever tried
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Well, my recommendations on stuff to keep is:

Justice league - Looks interesting post revamp with good character touches and lovely art.

52 - Fun and interesting as a whole (I'd buy it if only for "Lobo the Pacifist Space fish pope", not to mention some nice concepts (Ever wonder where the "Eye of Ekron" came from? What Mister Mind's post larva form is? How the creators of all the various "Robots" in the DC would do if placed on a single island? etc').

Green lantern - Iffy, I hate Hal but the concepts put in it (And the other GL books) are interesting. I'd advice only buying if reccomended (I can help with that) since the upcoming 52/Edge of the universe/Cyborg storyline looks interesting.

Green lantern corps -
Much more interesting than Hal Wank-dan, and they're really using a lot of Moore Concepts (In a good way, such as Ranx, everyones favourite idiot bounty hunter) and Gardner getting his words handed back at him.
And it's surprisingly maximalsitic (The amount of GL's per sector is done logically and is consistant with how they perform, actual defenses on Oa, the Guardians showing ... interesting strategic planning, etc').

Ion - Unknown, it may be interesting but I'm unimpressed by the start. (Kyle's a much better character than Hal, but it lacks the "Oomph" of the recent Manhunter/Cyborg storyline, though the stronger characters and less silver age/nostalgia is a plus).

Flash -
Looks interesting so far, though the writing is a bit cliched (The friend with newly gained superpowers letting it rise to his head and becoming a "Punisher" style psycho, for example, even if it is quite well written for this type of plot). Art could be better though.
My current thinking is to drop
Atom - it's just not interesting me enough
Supergirl - dito
And legion of superheros - It dosnt really effect any of the others like the others have the potential to do.
Agreed, though Supergirl has shown glimmers of interest, and an interesting backstory/arching plot, and Nice art, but the individual writing could be much better. (Though it's much better post One Year Later).
Still you won't get an argument out of me for dropping it, or the rest of the list as well as:
Robin (T3 Suck!) and NW.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Nightwing
Now that Marv Wolfman and Dan Jurgens are on board, it will hopefully pick up and rise up from the shit that was the Grayson/Jones era. Give it another month or two, then either keep or drop.

Robin
If you can get past what's been done to Cassandra Cain, then you might like it, but I haven't been too impressed with the post-Willingham stuff (which was saved in the latter stages only by Scott McDaniel's artwork for me). Drop it.

Justice League
Decent start, but I'm not totally blown away. Your decision.

Keep it; this is one of the best books DC's doing now.

Green Lantern
If you hate Hal Jordan wankage, drop. If you can tolerate it, then at least we've got Ivan Reis' pencils.

Green Lantern Corps
Keep it; the better of the two main GL titles.

Atom
I'm on again, off again here. Simone's writing is decent as it John Byrne's artowrk, but it's just, meh.

Blue Beatle
Dropped it after two issues, though I may come back; depends entirely on your opinion.

Supergirl
I loved Joe Kelly's JLA run, but I'm really not impressed with what I've seen since Loeb's departure (which wasn't exactly all that to beging with). I'd drop.

Legion of Superheros
I haven't read it, so I wouldn't know.

Flash
Same as above.

Ion
The evolution of Kyle Rayner and gorgeous artwork by Tom Grindberg, Greg Tocchini & Jay Leisten. Keep it.

Teen Titans
It looks like things will finally pick up again after the awful Doom Patrol outing, but we'll have to see.