You vs. the Living Dead...

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

IG-88E wrote:
anarchistbunny wrote:Damn it. I read this thread late last night and it fucked up my dreams, I think I died twice in the dream.
I had a dream last night about it, too. I woke up laughing my ass off because it was a dream of me and my buds doing exactly what I said we would: get in a pickup, get the beer and rifles, and cruise the streets of Buffalo shooting zombies. I even grabbed a zombie I shot and was manipulating it to say "My cat's breath smells like cat food." It was funny as shit. That's a dream to treasure forever. :lol:
My dreams are never sane. I don't remember the majority of it, but I do remember beating a zombie black ops agent from Half-Life: opposing force, stealing his handgun blowing a hole in his head, and then being told to go looking for supplies in an office building, where I emptied my handgun(I some how new I only hand three shots) and god swarmed. The whole thing reset and things get fuzzy from there, I think something involvig a airship.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

Antediluvian wrote:
Raxmei wrote:I live near a cemetary. Does that hurt my chances of survival?
Yes.

The Zombies will be making a beeline for the closest homes.

You may quickly find yourself surrounded.
In Romero's world, cemetaries wouldn't be a huge threat as most of zombies buried in the ground are heavily decomposed and trapped. Cemetaries are only dangerous in Return of the Living Dead universe.

www.homepageofthedead.com <-- fellow living dead enthusiasts[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. Remember the huge amount of zombies that appeared near the farmhouse in Night of the Living Dead? Remember the cemetary nearby?

Where else could they have come from but the cemetary?

By the way, Homepage of the Dead is a grea site for the Living Dead fan.

I was going to post it, but you beat me to it.

Excellent analysis in your post, by the way.[/quote]
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

I didn't mean to give anybody nightmares with this thread.

Sorry about that. :(
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

That's a good point Wong, never considered that. ; )

I figure the zombies would decay completely in a few years, if nothing else, and being exposed to the elements would surely hasten that fate.
1)Lots of bottle rockets/artilery shells, In Dead Reckoning(Romaro's new 4th installment of "of the Dead" movie) the operators of the Dead Reckoning use fire works to distract zombies as the blow their brains out.
Romero's finally getting out of his slump (after the "Resident Evil script" fiasco) and making the 4th movie? Whooo hooo! When did this happen and were can I get more info?
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

Kurgan wrote:That's a good point Wong, never considered that. ; )

I figure the zombies would decay completely in a few years, if nothing else, and being exposed to the elements would surely hasten that fate.
1)Lots of bottle rockets/artilery shells, In Dead Reckoning(Romaro's new 4th installment of "of the Dead" movie) the operators of the Dead Reckoning use fire works to distract zombies as the blow their brains out.
Romero's finally getting out of his slump (after the "Resident Evil script" fiasco) and making the 4th movie? Whooo hooo! When did this happen and were can I get more info?
They have some more info at Homepage of the Dead, but I don't know how current it is.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Darth Wong wrote:I live in Canada, therefore I'm safe. Did you ever notice that no zombie movies ever take place in snow and -10 degree weather? Zombies are stiff enough already, without being frozen.
That makes me almost as safe, at least 9 months out of the year :D
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

3 words: Full-auto shotgun. It slices, it dices, it turns zombies into soup.

Of course sufficient quantities of shells would have to be secured... But that's negligible...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

closet sci-fi fan wrote:Thanks antedulivan. I believe they were not that far from a town which would provide plently of zombies.
Huh. Didn't think of that. Not impossible. I thought the nearest town was pretty far away. Maybe I'm wrong.

And you're welcome. :)
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Necro99
Padawan Learner

Post by Necro99 »

However, i would not want to go melee with a zombie who has spent 6 month in a hot summer.

*sniff sniff*
-*BARF!!!!!*-
[url=http://sovietrevolution.net/]USSR MICRONATION!
weemadando
SMAKIBBFB

Post by weemadando »

Cthulhu-chan wrote:For those who thing they'll raid a military base...

Assuming there's no resistance (HA!), the easiest thing to raid is the motor pool. So long as you have bolt cutters, you're good to go. The trucks don't use keys, and spare diesel should be available within the motor pool. If you're lucky, they'll have a full fuel pod, which gravity feed.

The likelyhood of successfully raiding the weapons rooms is pretty slim, as they are kept under heavy lock and key. Even more so for ammunition. If you don't have access to heavy metal cutting equipment, you're shit out of luck.
Thats why it helps to have friends who are a) reservists, b) officers, c) and/or both.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Beowulf wrote:3 words: Full-auto shotgun. It slices, it dices, it turns zombies into soup.

Of course sufficient quantities of shells would have to be secured... But that's negligible...
The ability to hit one's target is useful at times, and most full auto or even semi auto shotguns are very sensitive to there loadout, most shells just don't work. That's why pump is almost always better, the worst case with a bad shell is you pump and fire again.

Being able to use most any ammo of the right guage you can get is also very useful.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

A chainsaw is good for close combat, but unwieldy to handle... and besides, the zombies have rather nasty forelimbs to worry about.

A good weapon would be a fiberglass shovel. Sturdy and light handle, sharp steel blade. And it's long, meaning that I can apply a minimal amount of force to do a lot of damage.
If things get closer than that, you can't beat the good old pipewrench. One good smack to the head should split their weak craniums wide open.
Now, a medium range weapon. Zombies fear flames, so the best choice would be a flamethrower. With a backpack fuel tank. And a lot of fuel handy.
Backup... probably a Beretta 9mm. Reliable, quick to load, and easy to use.
Long-range weapon... hunting rifle would work nicely.
Vehicle... a Humvee, preferably modified with a hybrid gas-electric system for better range.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Kurgan
Sith Marauder

Post by Kurgan »

Flamethrower sounds great, but I would think gasoline would be so precious that you'd want to save it for vehicles/machinery instead.

I wonder if you were in say a skyscraper or very tall building, with helicopters to travel around in, and control over the elevators. You could seal off the bottom floors and then use the chopper to travel around, get supplies, etc. Eventually you'd have to move on to get more fuel though.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

One peice of Zombie Mythology everyone likes to ignore is one of the more 'Silly' weaknesses that gets glossed over.

Zombies have a weakness to Salt. They are exposed to salt, they react like Slugs. not pretty.

Failing that, since these are "Science-made Zombies" as opposed to "Mystical Zombies".

Shoot um in the head, shotgun preferably. some Zombies need their heads destroyed in order to kill them.

Also, Highly corrosive chemical moats would probably be of some value, especially if they are deep. fire is always good as a second line of defence after that. better, if the highly corrosive chemical is also flammable.

So, they crawl over to the fire and--BOOM.

These linesw of defence would surround a bomb shelter that had been 'abandoned', eh. he. he....

Fully automated defence systems or remote control gun emplacements would also be fun.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

You'd be lucky if it was 'Hollywood' zombies that die when you shoot them with a shotgun (WHY? They're already missing most of their key organs!) and not zombies like the unstoppable cauldron-born of Irish myth or some of the really nasty Japanese undead.

If we're talking about Night of the Living Dead, or 'Hollywood' zombies, all you need is a sledgehammer or an axe. I mean, they're CORPSES. You could probably wrestle one to death.

I've actually been to labs where they study cadavers (like mummies). Old corpses have to be treated VERY carefully, because they fall apart easily. You could break their bones in your hand and rip their muscles apart like string.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

A-10 loaded to the brim with Napalm...

nothing like a napalm enema to send the zombies back to their graves....failing that, the fuck off chaingun the a-10 carries will be more than enough...

Might take some "innocents" with me too...just to do the planet a favour :twisted:
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Okay, people, drag this thread back towards reality. Every fifteen-year-old who suggested that they would fly a bomber or drive a tank into the legions of the undead should re-think their plans.

I mean, come on. You're in your house. The walking dead arrive at the wonderful pace of a shambling eighth of a kilometer per hour, body parts falling off and ruining your rose bushes. You do NOT have a tank parked in your front lawn. What do YOU do?

ED: (The next person who implores heavy military equipment, and does not have some lying around, gets smacked. If you DO suggest this and DO have it lying around, I will not smack you, because you have big guns. You are GOD. You can say anything you like. You may have my sister, and she is a slim, leggy blond professional ballet dancer.)
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Coaan »

Oh alright... :(

give me a sword then...I'll go down but godsdamn will those zombies lose limbs!!! :evil:
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

Righty then.

Salt, shotgun, German Luger, Ax.

Oh, and my 3ft steel ruler would be nice for chopping in a pinch.

"Good for Chopping"
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

Go to freinds house. Borrow Chainsaw. Cut down trees, build some medival artillery. (aka the Trebuchet: yes, I do know how) Make VERY Large molotovs, Napalm cans, or gunpoweder explosives (I.E. whatever's handy), go to local Naval Research Lab, Set up, OPEN FIRE.

Failing that, There's always the modest collection of muzzleloaders, shotguns, and compound bows in the basement....

That and avoid the commuter corpses coming down from DC....
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

I happen to be something of a Living Dead afficianado (something to do with my personal obsession with a certain redhead, I suppose), so I have some idea of how to handle the zombie crisis.

The living dead are supremely incompetent in combat; they are only dangerous in numbers. Consequently, the first imperative is to make sure you never have to take on many at once. My yard is happily fenced, so they won't be able to get in easily. Any that do enter I will dispatch as quickly and quietly as possible (they're attracted to noise). Round the clock watches will be necessary to make sure that they don't build up in the area.

I would check on my neighbors and organize efforts to secure supplies. Fortunately, I live next to some very self-sufficient farms. I also live on a lake peninsula, so securing our location against zombie intrusion wouldn't be hard. We would just need to make the occasional armed foray into town for fuel and non-farm supplies.

Quite frankly, the problem will almost certainly diminish after the first few days of chaos. Government authorities will establish control and rogue zombies that locals haven't put down will be handled by the police or military. We'd need to establish procedures for securing the bodies of anyone not killed by major head trauma, and there would probably be a major recession to deal with, but society should stabilize within a few weeks I would think.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Larz
Rabid Monkey

Post by Larz »

Hmm, weld steel blade to my toyota, fill up cargo with frag expolsives (profesional or homemade goodness), and paint the town red... or whatever color exploding and sliced up living dead make.
"Once again we wanted our heroes to be simple, grizzled everymen with nothing to lose; one foot in the grave, the other wrapped in an American flag and lodged firmly in a terrorist's asshole."

Brotherhood of the Monkey: Nonchalant Disgruntled Monkey
Justice League
Antediluvian
Jedi Knight

Post by Antediluvian »

I should add that wrestling zombies might be a bad idea. In Romero's universe zombies seem to get stronger the longer they are around.

In NOTLD, they weren't too strong, but in Day of the Dead they were ripping people apart.

Grappling might be a bad idea.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Antediluvian wrote:I should add that wrestling zombies might be a bad idea. In Romero's universe zombies seem to get stronger the longer they are around. In NOTLD, they weren't too strong, but in Day of the Dead they were ripping people apart. Grappling might be a bad idea.

Eh. I'm talking about mobile, shambling corpses. If they were animated mystically to the point where they could tear you apart with hands and teeth, ala cauldron-born, okay. If they are Resident Evil The Movie zombies who only need to scratch you to turn you, okay. I haven't seen Romero's movies, so I don't know how tough they are.

On principle, I'd be more likely to use my woodshed axe. I wouldn't trust, say, a kitchen knife to the head. But I'm big enough to swing a big woodchopper like a Q-tip, and lop off heads, arms and hands like a thresher taking up wheat.