Deus Ex Machina endings that work

SF: discuss futuristic sci-fi series, ideas, and crossovers.

Moderator: NecronLord

Drooling Iguana
Sith Marauder

Re: Deus Ex Machina endings that work

Post by Drooling Iguana »

Would the T. Rex coming in to save the day at the end of Jurassic Park qualify here? It made no sense that an animal that size would be able to sneak up unnoticed like that, but it was sure satisfying watching her fling the raptors around.
"Stop! No one can survive these deadly rays!"
"These deadly rays will be your death!"
- Thor and Akton, Starcrash

"Before man reaches the moon your mail will be delivered within hours from New York to California, to England, to India or to Australia by guided missiles.... We stand on the threshold of rocket mail."
- Arthur Summerfield, US Postmaster General 1953 - 1961
The Original Nex
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Original Nex »

Drooling Iguana wrote:Would the T. Rex coming in to save the day at the end of Jurassic Park qualify here? It made no sense that an animal that size would be able to sneak up unnoticed like that, but it was sure satisfying watching her fling the raptors around.
Never mind her getting inside the building in the first place :lol: I think that's a pretty good example of it, and it worked for me!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Aha! That horrible old-people music in Mars Attacks that made the Martians' heads explode! If that's not a Deus Ex Machina, I don't know what is!

Speaking of which, the common cold in War of the Worlds! Does Jeff Goldblum's computer virus count in Independence Day? Nah.

The water in Signs! Oh shit, that ending most definitely did NOT work!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sam Or I
Jedi Council Member

Post by Sam Or I »

The common cold seemed to work. We knew about it from our own history, but did not apply it to the plot until it happened.
saveyour
Redshirt

Post by saveyour »

i like the shaun of the dead deus ex machina. military kicks down the door and kills zombies, the day is saved. the end
CarsonPalmer
Jedi Master

Post by CarsonPalmer »

The Indiana Jones ending, at least to me, seems to fit with a general theme of the movie. The Nazis wanted the Ark because they thought they could use it as a weapon, and Balloq wanted the Ark because he thought that it was a transmitter for speaking to God. The only one who was actually afraid of what the Ark might be able to do was Indiana Jones; he survived because he didn't believe that he could bend the Ark to his will, while arrogance brought down Balloq and the Nazis.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Speaking of which, the common cold in War of the Worlds!
Doesn't really work for me. Were the Martians really so rock-stupid that they didn't consider an alien world with indigineous life would have dangerous contageons? Or use spacesuits? Or just not all come out of their doomships at the same time?
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

Gramzamber wrote:
Doesn't really work for me. Were the Martians really so rock-stupid that they didn't consider an alien world with indigineous life would have dangerous contageons? Or use spacesuits? Or just not all come out of their doomships at the same time?
Yes. The British, after the events of the novel, speculated that they had eliminates all dangerous pathogens from their environment, and eventually all bacteria/viruses altogether. Of course, the idea of a rhinovirus infecting a Martian, even if they are DNA-based and have the same handedness of their proteins as Earth life, is still the more ridiculous. Of course, Wells only added that ending because he needed a happy one for people to buy the book.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Bakustra wrote:
Gramzamber wrote:
Yes. The British, after the events of the novel, speculated that they had eliminates all dangerous pathogens from their environment, and eventually all bacteria/viruses altogether. Of course, the idea of a rhinovirus infecting a Martian, even if they are DNA-based and have the same handedness of their proteins as Earth life, is still the more ridiculous. Of course, Wells only added that ending because he needed a happy one for people to buy the book.
It was never viral; it was bacteria that felled the Martians.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Gramzamber wrote:Doesn't really work for me. Were the Martians really so rock-stupid that they didn't consider an alien world with indigineous life would have dangerous contageons? Or use spacesuits? Or just not all come out of their doomships at the same time?
Have you even read the fucking book? They were INJECTING HUMAN BLOOD INTO THEMSELVES. Spacesuits would not protect them from this. They're still stupid for not at least testing the blood, but the book describes them just jacking the stuff in straight away.
Blayne
On Probation

Post by Blayne »

Aaaah guys remember he wrote this in the 19th century when armies invaded regions routinely without any defense or medicine for their troops at all, 90% of casualties in that period is probably from basic bacterial infection it could be possible they did know about it but decided to invade anyways thinking the attrition rate would be manageable.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Stark wrote:
Gramzamber wrote:Doesn't really work for me. Were the Martians really so rock-stupid that they didn't consider an alien world with indigineous life would have dangerous contageons? Or use spacesuits? Or just not all come out of their doomships at the same time?
Have you even read the fucking book? They were INJECTING HUMAN BLOOD INTO THEMSELVES. Spacesuits would not protect them from this. They're still stupid for not at least testing the blood, but the book describes them just jacking the stuff in straight away.
I was thinking more of the 50's movie than the book, which I haven't read in quite a while.
Given the time it was written I suppose the alien's unsafe practices might not have seemed as bad then. It still makes it's subsequent adaptations in later times a total deus ex machina based on a total lack of Martian foresight and regard for safety.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Bakustra
Sith Devotee

Post by Bakustra »

JointStrikeFighter wrote:
Bakustra wrote: Yes. The British, after the events of the novel, speculated that they had eliminates all dangerous pathogens from their environment, and eventually all bacteria/viruses altogether. Of course, the idea of a rhinovirus infecting a Martian, even if they are DNA-based and have the same handedness of their proteins as Earth life, is still the more ridiculous. Of course, Wells only added that ending because he needed a happy one for people to buy the book.
It was never viral; it was bacteria that felled the Martians.
Bacterial makes a lot more sense; it's been years since I last read War of the Worlds, I admit. Bacteria are far less species-dependent than viruses, after all.
Invited by the new age, the elegant Sailor Neptune!
I mean, how often am I to enter a game of riddles with the author, where they challenge me with some strange and confusing and distracting device, and I'm supposed to unravel it and go "I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE" and take great personal satisfaction and pride in our mutual cleverness?
- The Handle, from the TVTropes Forums
JointStrikeFighter
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by JointStrikeFighter »

Indeed viruses hadn't even been discovered when the book was written.
Silver Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by Silver Jedi »

saveyour wrote:i like the shaun of the dead deus ex machina. military kicks down the door and kills zombies, the day is saved. the end
I don't know if that counts. Wasn't their entire plan to hold up in the pub until the military showed up?
Not a n00b, just a lurker

108th post on Wed Jun 28, 2006 A Whoop!

200th post on Fri Feb 3, 2012 Six months shy of a decade!
open_sketchbook
Jedi Master

Post by open_sketchbook »

The plan was more just, hold up in the pub... and that was pretty much it. Ed and Shaun are not ones for long-term planning.
1980s Rock is to music what Giant Robot shows are to anime
Think about it.

Cruising low in my N-1 blasting phat beats,
showin' off my chrome on them Coruscant streets
Got my 'saber on my belt and my gat by side,
this here yellow plane makes for a sick ride
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Still military intervention is the logical thing. Only standard zombie movies and zombie apocalypse wankers think that the entire military with guns will be overwhelmed by zombies with teeth and fists.
Sure it's a plot convenience that the military swoops in just at that moment to save the day but not really a deus ex machina.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

I'd say it is a Deus Ex Machina, because that the military was going to be coming was never established at any point. We're given the impression that there is no hope, then a previously unmentioned thing comes out of nowhere to save the day. It wasn't like they ever picked up a transmission telling them to hold out until the cavalry arrived.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'